Identified! CO - Mesa Co., Hisp/NtvAm Male, 20-40, May'15 - Janitzio Diaz Panigua

luckyseven

Reaction score
Do you know this man? Mesa seeks ID of dead person

snipped
Investigators and the Mesa County coroner are asking law enforcement agencies nationwide for help in trying to identify the body. The man was found in a canal in the area of 14 and P Roads, Loma.

Investigator Pete Burg told the Post Independent in an email that the man was believed to have been in the Glenwood Springs area in the past month and used the RFTA bus system.

Details about UID from the article:
  • 20 - 40 yo
  • 5'10" tall, ~175lbs
  • dark brown/black hair that is 12" long
  • both ears pierced
  • Tattoos on his back: the names Alex, Clara and Janitzio, a grim reaper, and an image of Jesus
  • Other tattoos: barbed wire tattoo on left wrist, small tattoo on left ring finger

Photo is from a cell found with the body. It is thought to be a selfie.

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpg

Can anyone read the shirt he's wearing in the selfie? I'm 99.9999% sure that's a marijuana leaf and I know there's a letter I, but I can't make out the rest.

ETA: No wait, I think I got it. If you flip the picture over the shirt looks like it says "I <3 CO" (I <3 Colorado but with a marijuana leaf instead of a heart).

ETA again: Found the shirt!!!

i_cannabis_colorado_shirt.jpg

Janitzio is a small island in Patzcuaro Lake in the southern state of Michoacan, Mexico.

Also seems to be used as a rather uncommon first name (male).

Janitzio is a small island in Patzcuaro Lake in the southern state of Michoacan, Mexico.

Also seems to be used as a rather uncommon first name (male).

Based on the pic and the context of that name I am thinking maybe our UID Hispanic?

Based on the pic and the context of that name I am thinking maybe our UID Hispanic?

My first thought when looking at the pic was that he looks Native American.

On NamUs it actually says in the 'Physical/Medical' section that he's believed to be either Hispanic or Native American, so you're probably right.

If he had spent time in jail they would have found his fingerprints. Since they apparently did not have his prints in the database, he is not in the system.

I wonder why LE can't ID him when they have his phone.

That does seem odd. They should be able to dial any of the numbers in his contact list and find someone who knows/recognizes him. :waitasec:

At least on my phone I can choose to save contacts on the memory card or the phone itself, or both.

If his system was similar and the phone was in the canal with him, maybe the photo was on a separate memory card that was able to be salvaged but the contact list was stored on the phone itself and didn't survive the contact with water?

Since this is directly from the Mesa County Sheriff's Office facebook, I believe I am allowed to quote this post from the administrator of the Sheriff's Office facebook:

"Thank you everyone who is sharing this photo. The track phone on him didn't provide other leads as to his identity, except this picture and a few other pictures that lead us to believe he spent time in the Glenwood Springs area. But, it's unclear what connection he may have with up-valley. It's possible someone was working with him and simply believes he walked off the job. It's also possible that he doesn't have ties or family to this area. We are hoping someone on the Western Slope recognizes him from somewhere or knows his name. Our focus is making a positive ID on him and connecting with his family."
"May 18 at 8:05PM"

https://www.facebook.com/Mesacounty...otal_comments=72&comment_tracking={"tn":"R9"}

He has been identified, they will release the name when they've notified the family

He has been identified, they will release the name when they've notified the family

https://www.facebook.com/Mesacounty...otal_comments=72&comment_tracking={"tn":"R9"}

"Mesa County Sheriff's Office":
"Thank you to everyone who shared this image. We were able to identify this man, contact his family and now are working with the Mesa County Coroner to complete this death investigation.
We are doubtful that without all your help and the power of social media we would have been able to identify him, at least this quickly."

His full name might be Alejandro Diaz (Jano is the diminutive - unless his first name is Janitzio like in his tattoo).

Descanse en paz, Jano.

I found his facebook profile through one of his friends. They haven't released the name yet, but I'm hoping the family knows by now, his friends know. This is one of his profilepictures

11139374_1594858740725903_5506906792139628038_n.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back