Deborah Bradley & Jeremy Irwin - Dr. Phil Interview - 3 February 2012 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

beach

Verified Expert
Reaction score
Ahh, a fresh, new thread. Which hopefully takes on a fresh, new tone. ;)

Fair warning - enough of the snarky, bossy, argumentative posts. Mods have been very patient and fair, posting reminders and warnings that obviously continued to be ignored by some. Consider it zero tolerance now. TOs are being issued. Mods hate to issue TOs, especially on a day when you guys have something new to talk about, however we've been left with no choice.

Everyone is responsible for their own words. I strongly suggest that you review your post and self-edit if necessary before clicking "submit reply". Just remember, you don't have to (and probably should not) post every thought that crosses your mind. ;)

Sorry guys, but we are at the end of our rope with the pettiness.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7565208#post7565208"]Link to Dr. Phil thread #1[/ame]

Matou, to answer your question from the previous thread - yes. If you have the opportunity to actually watch the interview, you need to. Reading the highlights I posted won't give you the same flavor as seeing and hearing for yourself. It is worth the watch, despite there being little "new" info revealed.

Matou, to answer your question from the previous thread - yes. If you have the opportunity to actually watch the interview, you need to. Reading the highlights I posted won't give you the same flavor as seeing and hearing for yourself. It is worth the watch, despite there being little "new" info revealed.
I think I'm going to skip watching it. The only thing I think I'll miss is their body language. Since I'm not a body language expert, I wouldn't know how to read it anyway.

Sherbie, if you go to the old thread and click "edit" on your fabulous recap post, then right-click, "select all", then "copy", you can paste it in this new thread.

(I would move it but since it is a brand new thread, it will insert itself in time order and jump the OP. I would "quote" it and paste it here, but then others would not be able to quote it themselves to respond due to the format.)

Thanks for transcribing Sherbie. What was your opinion of Dr. Phil as an interviewer? Do you think he hit all the right points? Did he sometimes come across as frustrated, confused, agreeable with the guests? Sometimes watching the interviewer's body language is just as interesting, imo.

Just wondered about your opinion as to whether you felt Dr. Phil believes the parents.

TIA

Hoping to get home in time to watch but I doubt it. :sigh:

Did Dr. Phil give them any useful advice?

I think I'm going to skip watching it. The only thing I think I'll miss is their body language. Since I'm not a body language expert, I wouldn't know how to read it anyway.

Yeah, I have no idea what eyes looking one way or arms/legs crossed this or that way means, either. But there's also tone of voice, manner of speech, wording, how questions are answered and who answers what. My post was just a synopsis...don't want you to miss something that I might not have noted. :)

Sherbie, if you go to the old thread and click "edit" on your fabulous recap post, then right-click, "select all", then "copy", you can paste it in this new thread.

(I would move it but since it is a brand new thread, it will insert itself in time order and jump the OP. I would "quote" it and paste it here, but then others would not be able to quote it themselves to respond due to the format.)

Thanks, Beach...hope I do this right! ;)

Here are some notes I took during the show. I may have missed something or made errors, for which I apologize in advance:

Dr. Phil asks why they haven't spoken in the past 90+ days. DB says, "We wanted them to be able to investigate, things to quiet down, leads looked into. When they were exhausted or nothing came of them, we started doing media again."

Did anything come to light during those 90 days? DB says yes, but that she won't speak about it. Tacopina says substantial leads developed. He says the three sightings were in a direct trajectory from the house and were credible. "To me, that's powerful evidence that there are leads out there that need to be followed." He says the MT description of the man at the 4:00 a.m. sighting matches description of man at midnight sighting near home.

Jeremy says all he knows is someone came into their home and took Lisa for some reason. He says they get support, but there are people out there who make ridiculous accusations.

When Dr. Phil mentions that it's been reported the couple won't interview separately with LE and asks whether it's happened yet, Tacopina says, "Not only has it happened, it's happened repeatedly - five times, almost 40 hrs" - but that there was nothing else they can tell LE (he doesn't mention they haven't done so since early October and Dr. Phil doesn't clarify that). JT basically repeated the exact same things he and Picerno have previously stated.

DB said she feels she hasn't received a fair shake from KCPD. "There's nothing but misinformation out there, nothing but theories and accusations, people making outright lies." She says people are turning it into a circus. Said it's not a game, it's her baby.

DB: "Pretty much, the only thing I'm guilty of is drinking too much. Even when she comes back, that's something I have to live with, that I might've heard something and been able to stop them. But it's been blown so far out of proportion - that I'm an alcoholic, which I'm not; that I'm a neglectful parent, which I'm not. I've always put my kids first." She says the whole issue of her drinking with a friend while kids watched a movie was totally blown out of proportion into "a giant theory-fest."

DB says the issue of drinking was "totally irrelevant" to Lisa's going missing, but that she answered honestly about it when asked. Dr. Phil asks if she was drunk. She says more than 2 drinks per hour, to her, means drunk...so yes, she was drunk.

Regarding the lights, DB says they didn't compare stories til days later. She says there was lighting on in living room, a small lamp, stove light and clock radio light. As an electrician, JI is aware of lights being on and routinely follows her around to turn them off. He complains a lot about lights being on, but that night there weren't more lights on than usual. DB says she doesn't view that as an inconsistency.

DB addresses the 10:30 pm vs. 6:40 pm discrepancy. She says it's not an inconsistency to say she put her to bed at 6:40 and "possibly" checked on her at 10:30. Says Lisa was clearing an ear infection and cold. Usually puts all the kids to bed at 8:00, but she was a little fussy.

DB says people don't understand how difficult it is to wake up and find your baby gone, being accused of doing something to her - insane theories; to go on TV to try to get info out there, and try to remember every single detail and say it exactly the same every single time, with hateful people picking it apart.

"I understand the looking-at-the-mother thing because the world we live in today isn't always a safe or happy place. There are crazy people, bad parents, accidents happen." She says she understands why people might question it b/c of the drinking. Says she's desperate to find Lisa and is "clinging on to a shred of sanity."

"If I'd done something, I'd be in jail right now. Joe doesn't save me from jail - it doesn't work that way. But I understand most of America doesn't understand the justice system or understand how this stuff happens or how media works til something terrible happens to them and they have to use LE or the media. It's so much bigger and so much more different than you could even imagine. I just wish people could open their minds to the entire bigger picture here."

DB says she was told she failed polygraph, but LE wouldn't confirm it with her or her attorney. JT says it was confirmed to him that there was no failed polygraph by DB. He says that misinformation distracts from the case. JT says it's 100% accurate that she did NOT fail the polygraph and he defies them to show them a failed polygraph.

Stanton talking about benefactress. Says there's a connection to a family member. Says the person called and told him to get out there and find that baby. BS says he originally thought parents were guilty b/c of statistics, but the more he looked into it, the more he believed it came from outside the home.

Cadaver dog hit - DB says nothing is missing from the bedroom where supposed hit happened; that nothing was taken. Said the carpet came from barn in back of the house. If cadaver dog hit, why didn't they take anything? JT says there is no such thing as a "hit" for a dead body. Says "the nation's number one expert" told him fecal matter from a dirty diaper having been in contact with the floor would have produced the hit.

The 11:57 phone call - DB says her phone was red-lined at the time. Could not call out; could only receive incoming calls/text msgs. Says she does not know M. Wright or the people she associates with and would have no reason to call her. She says phones were on the counter, under clock radio light.

JT says you're supposed to start an investigation by casting a wide net and seeing where it falls and that LE didn't do that, that they focused in on DB (basically a rush to judgment).

Dr. Phil asks Jeremy why there was an assumption someone came through the window when the door was unlocked. Before Jeremy can answer, JT hops in and says, "Exactly. They never actually said, 'Here's what happened, they went through the window.'" He points out that there was also another point of entry - via the garage.

BS says he thinks this was a crime of opportunity by a petty criminal, that they took the phones and saw the child and took her, too - either to "covet" her or sell her. Points out that a homeless person/petty criminal in the neighborhood was known to break in through windows.

Why did you wait to let the boys speak to LE again? JT jumps in to answer for them. Says that's a misstatement, that the parents never said "no" to anything - searches, hair samples, all of it. He says they just wanted to be sure the best interests of the children were looked after.

Dr. Phil lets the parents ask questions of him. DB asks what she should do to help the boys through this. She says that even after Lisa comes home, the boys will need therapy, but what to do in the meantime? He says to be open with the boys, celebrate Lisa, but also allow the boys to cry if they need to and to see their parents cry as well.

New photos of Lisa are shown. They are pics of her as a newborn. First one is DB holding her in hospital. Next one is JI holding her for first time. The parents talk about how happy they were and how perfect she was. More newborn photos.

DB says to anyone who might have Lisa - look beyond what you want/need and think of what the baby needs. "We love her and her brothers more than anything in this world, and we are dying here." She says there's a $100k reward and all someone has to do is call. Asks whoever has her to drop her off somewhere, no questions asked. "We don't want you - we want her."

I wish I knew something about body language - DB's got plenty of it, but I don't know how to interpret it. Something about her makes me feel a bit uneasy. She comes across (to me) as defiant and indignant, and seems to over-explain or over-justify or...something. Can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe that's just her usual demeanor, but that's my (totally subjective) take on it.

Sorry for the delay in posting the notes - got interrupted twice with phone calls.

Reading the recap, it sounds like DB is fed up and frustrated by the way things were handled by LE but also her constant having to defend herself from some of the public opinion about her which may or may not be justifiable. I think I would probably react the same way if I knew I was innocent.

Did you guys think the descriptions of the two sightings matched? Did the blob match the descriptions?

The 11:57 phone call - DB says her phone was red-lined at the time. Could not call out; could only receive incoming calls/text msgs.

So how come JI wasn't able to inform her that he'd be late?

Yeah, I have no idea what eyes looking one way or arms/legs crossed this or that way means, either. But there's also tone of voice, manner of speech, wording, how questions are answered and who answers what. My post was just a synopsis...don't want you to miss something that I might not have noted. :)

I'm sure your right, but after Dr Phil paid the Anthonys "foundation" for their appearance I don't really care to support his show. There will be plenty of people here who will find every last detail of importance and post it.

Thanks for transcribing Sherbie. What was your opinion of Dr. Phil as an interviewer? Do you think he hit all the right points? Did he sometimes come across as frustrated, confused, agreeable with the guests? Sometimes watching the interviewer's body language is just as interesting, imo.

Just wondered about your opinion as to whether you felt Dr. Phil believes the parents.

TIA

Hoping to get home in time to watch but I doubt it. :sigh:

IMO, he did ask about the most talked-about points we've discussed, but he accepted whatever answer was given. In a couple of instances, I felt follow-ups were in order. He did make note that Tacopina kept answering instead of letting the parents talk, and JT seemed a bit offended by that, mentioned something about setting it up that way with the producer.

If Dr. Phil had strong feelings one way or the other as far as believing or disbelieving the parents, he didn't allow that to show, IMO.

Regarding the lights, DB says they didn't compare stories til days later. She says there was lighting on in living room, a small lamp, stove light and clock radio light. As an electrician, JI is aware of lights being on and routinely follows her around to turn them off. He complains a lot about lights being on, but that night there weren't more lights on than usual. DB says she doesn't view that as an inconsistency.

Well I do feel like it's an inconsistency because I was definitely led to believe that it was unusual for the lights to be on and that it was evidence that there was an intruder who came in and did strange things in the house. Did DB leave the lights on herself then? What about SB who apparently said she saw the lights go out?

Earlier quotes (from this thread,, thanks to Notmykids, http://www.websleuths.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-152343.html )

From KMBC:
JI: “When I came home from work, the front door was unlocked, most of the lights were on in the house, and the window was, in the front, was open. Obviously, all very unusual and then I started checking on the kids. Checked on the boys first, and then we checked on her, that’s when we realized she was gone.”

From GMA:
JI: “I returned home from work at around 4 a.m., and windows were open and lights were on, and she was nowhere to be found.”

Reporter: “Right there, that’s so unusual. The window’s open, the lights on. That wouldn’t be normal at all?”

DB: “No.”

Another GMA clip:
JI: “I had, I had come home and, uh, Deborah had woke, woken up when I got there, and, uh, we talked for a couple minutes, and then, uh, I asked her, you know, what’s going on. She said what do you mean, and that’s when I told her, you know, the door, the lights, the window. And, uh, she kinda jumped up out of bed like something was wrong, and that was when I, I kind of realized that something might be wrong.”

JPirro:
JP: “Were the lights on or off when you went to bed?”
DB: “I turned them all off.”

DB says there were no more lights on than usual but she had turned them off. Did the intruder know how many lights she usually left on?

I find this very strange, to say the least.

I'm sure your right, but after Dr Phil paid the Anthonys "foundation" for their appearance I don't really care to support his show. There will be plenty of people here who will find every last detail of importance and post it.

I hear you. Whether these parents received any sort of compensation to appear wasn't addressed, by the way. Not surprising, of course, but just to clarify.

I hear you. Whether these parents received any sort of compensation to appear wasn't addressed, by the way. Not surprising, of course, but just to clarify.

I wish that it was addressed because some people will feel that they were paid and its being kept secret.

Did they say where they were? They were not in studio.

DB says she was told she failed polygraph, but LE wouldn't confirm it with her or her attorney. JT says it was confirmed to him that there was no failed polygraph by DB. He says that misinformation distracts from the case.

Am I not reading that right? Because I'm confused. :confused:

Am I not reading that right? Because I'm confused. :confused:

I think she perhaps meant that LE would not later confirm that they told her she failed. Tacopina emphatically states that he was told she did not fail. I'm gonna be in and out with errands this afternoon, but I will check the DVR again when I get back to see exactly what was said.

I'll keep that recording a few days so that we can reference it if we need to. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine