GUILTY FL - Three teens for school bus attack on 13yo boy, Gulfport, 2013

Good lord. They wanted to arrest the bus driver. Bus drivers are not police or security officers. In most states they aren't even permitted to touch a child, ever, they are to call for help, which this bus driver did. His job is to keep control of that vehicle not let a group of kids take over the bus. Seems to me if the school system has problems controlling the students they may need to put security personnel on the bus. Most drivers are either Mom's or retirees looking for extra money who have not been trained in martial arts. jmo

I was wondering if this case would ever be posted. It's interesting the lack of interest in this brutal assault. I feel sorry for the bus driver, too. IMO, they would have attacked him if he'd tried to intervene.

Wow, that beating is brutal! That poor kid never had a chance. I also think it was ridiculous that the police chief wanted to consider charges against the driver. If he had jumped in to stop those young assailants, then the chief would have investigaged the driver for child abuse probably. It looks to me like that chief and the school need to take a long hard look at what is going on in their community and get a handle on it by addressing the right issues.

I believe school rules prohibit drivers from touching children. How is the driver supposed to stop the assault? It's not like he can beat the **** out of them. He'd be arrested and hauled to jail.

It irritates me that many of the news reports use words like "a fight broke out" or "it turned into an all out brawl." A "fight" or "brawl" would indicate that it was mutual. However, thats not what happened. The victim here didnt do anything but try to get up, then get beat down to the floor where he was beat and stomped from both sides of the seat as he screamed for help. This victim did the right thing at school by turning in the kids for trying to sell drugs. And the school did NOTHING to protect him.

Times have sure changed havent they? I remember when I was in Jr. High and High School. Sure there were fist fights. But I dont ever remember 3 kids just ambushing another like that. And in those days (not ALL that long ago) when someone in the fight went down, you stood back. If he got up, the fight continued, if he stayed down, the fight was over.

This is why education is such a mess in public schools today. Bus drivers, teachers, other personnel and staff have to deal with so much stuff like this (obvioulsy more minor than this, but violence and outrageous behavior nonetheless) all day long that little else can get done. A lot of it is attitude, foul language, threats against teachers, etc, all day long.

I taught in the inner city. I worked at one school where 5, that's FIVE (!!) teachers were out on assault pay. They had been attack, pushed down stairs, had an arm crushed in a door, etc.

My own vehicle was broken into 3 times by busting out a window ($500 cost for me each time, even when we saw the student who did it, after all his parents couldn't afford it so principal let it go!) The principal, Mr Snarky (who had a reserved parking space by the front door) chastised me and told me to find a better place to park. Umm we were a school right between 2 project buildings. Seriously, my car is broken into 3 times and I get blamed for not parking in a "better" place?

Well let me tell you this. After the 3rd time (in a 6 month period), I applied for a job at a private school and got the job. I wrote my letter of resignation and it pretty much said "my car has been broken into 3 time and all you have done is advise me to find a better place to park. Thanks for that advice. I am happy to report that from now on i will be parking at St. Mary School Private school. This resignation is effective today and I am only here to get my stuff. Thanks, Ms S

These story of these 3 students beating the younger student on the bus is revolting. They are hardcore criminals with their drug dealing, assault and theft. They need to be dealt with severely. Infuriating!!

<modsnip>
Prosecutors say the older boys were seeking revenge after the 13-year-old told teachers that they tried to sell him drugs.

The juvenile justice department is recommending nine months probation and anger management for two of the accused.

The third, the alleged ring leader, is facing an additional robbery charge for allegedly stealing money from the victim after the beating.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/14/justice/florida-bus-beating

This story may NEVER had had much news coverage except one of the students on the bus took video and posted it online, at that point the case got attention and the school eventually released the official bus video as well.

Note in some states kicking someone when they are down is considered the use of deadly force, as stomping and kicking a prone individual can easily result in death.

In most States a school bus driver is just that. There is no way they are suppose to touch these students and he followed proper procedures. If this bus had problems the school should have provided an aide who had the power to step in and break up the fight. To be so bold as to attack another student with cameras rolling it would not surprise me to see these teens take off with the bus if the driver tried to stop the fight. I am surprised at the officer for making that statement. Obviously the bus driver was yelling at them to stop and they just ignored him. jmo

Based on the killings and rapes of innocent people in the last few days, shouldn't be long until we see these 3 names in the paper!

All the driver had to do was tell them to stop and they did. Instead if speaking up immediately, he waited until the victim had been beaten to a pulp by three worthless thugs before he said a word. That is inhumane. IMO, the driver showed reckless disregard for the safety of the children in his care. He didn't have to lay a hand on the thugs, all he had to do was speak up. Instead he chose to watch the poor boy who was cornered in the bus seat with no way to get away or defend himself against the brutal attack by three assailants at once.

I am a small statured woman. I was a substitute teacher for six years. I never, ever put up with bulling if any kind, ever. If I had been in the bus I would have been on those delinquent boys so fast they wouldn't have gotten in a second punch.

In my opinion, the driver purposely ignored the attack for as long as he could. If there had been no camera or voice recording, I doubt he would have spoken up at all.

MOO

All the driver had to do was tell them to stop and they did. Instead if speaking up immediately, he waited until the victim had been beaten to a pulp by three worthless thugs before he said a word. That is inhumane. IMO, the driver showed reckless disregard for the safety of the children in his care. He didn't have to lay a hand on the thugs, all he had to do was speak up. Instead he chose to watch the poor boy who was cornered in the bus seat with no way to get away or defend himself against the brutal attack by three assailants at once.

I am a small statured woman. I was a substitute teacher for six years. I never, ever put up with bulling if any kind, ever. If I had been in the bus I would have been on those delinquent boys so fast they wouldn't have gotten in a second punch.

In my opinion, the driver purposely ignored the attack for as long as he could. If there had been no camera or voice recording, I doubt he would have spoken up at all.

MOO

I disagree. Remember, the driver is still in control of the bus that has just pulled to a bus stop. When the beating starts, he first has to make sure the bus is safe, stopped and brake on, maybe even kill the engine. Then he HAS to call in the attack. If he goes to confront the kids before calling it in, and then gets attacked himself, there is no guarantee that any help is coming. Then he goes back to yell at the kids. Despite the Police Chief's statement, the driver has NO obligation to jump in. In fact, most likely the driver believed (perhaps correctly) that he is prevented from doing so. There is also no doubt in my mind that if he had jumped in, he would have been beaten too. There is a big difference in a woman of small stature jumping in, and a full grown man. That woman is much less likely to be attacked, and much much less likely to be charged or sued. That is just reality. We may look at that video and say the driver had a moral obligation to jump in to protect that boy, but that is a totally different issue.

I disagree. Remember, the driver is still in control of the bus that has just pulled to a bus stop. When the beating starts, he first has to make sure the bus is safe, stopped and brake on, maybe even kill the engine. Then he HAS to call in the attack. If he goes to confront the kids before calling it in, and then gets attacked himself, there is no guarantee that any help is coming. Then he goes back to yell at the kids. Despite the Police Chief's statement, the driver has NO obligation to jump in. In fact, most likely the driver believed (perhaps correctly) that he is prevented from doing so. There is also no doubt in my mind that if he had jumped in, he would have been beaten too. There is a big difference in a woman of small stature jumping in, and a full grown man. That woman is much less likely to be attacked, and much much less likely to be charged or sued. That is just reality. We may look at that video and say the driver had a moral obligation to jump in to protect that boy, but that is a totally different issue.

That is correct. It could actually be a legal issue for the driver. In many states it is against the law for the driver to touch a minor. This driver would have been fired and could have faced assault charges by the parents of the teens. If any other children were injured he would have been sued because his actions caused more children to get hurt. The bus company has rules and guidelines that are governed by the laws of the state and it appears he followed those guidelines. This is not the first time there has ever been a fight on a bus. I can't believe they released it to the public when there are pictures of minors on that bus. If I were the other parents I'd be livid.

In the end the parents of these teens will have to deal with the damages the caused to the victim and hopefully they have responsible parents. That is the best we can hope for. jmo

From the ops original article:

A school bus fight that erupted between several teens has left three 15-year-olds accused of aggravated battery after leaving a 13-year-old boy with a broken arm in Gulfport, Fla.,

I didn't see any fighting going on. There was NO a "fight" it was simply a brutal beat down with a victim that was terrified before, and screaming for help during.

But doesn't the original story sound better when you hear it was simply a "fight" between schoolboys that lead to one suffering a broken arm?

I hope to God for that poor kid's sake that his parents wise up and pull him out of that school.

MOO

[bbm]

perhaps this 64 year-old man was afraid of what might happen to him if he intervened and I don't blame him

I cannot believe the police chief in that town considered child neglect charges against the bus driver - it'd be more appropriate to hold the parents of these thugs responsible for raising cowardly criminals

I can hear the bus driver on the tape stating 'please get someone here fast, please, please, please - they're about to beat this boy to death' and I believe that was his second call so I don't consider that doing nothing

those thugs are disgustingly violent and NO OTHER student tried to intervene either which tells me that everyone is afraid of those three morons

I hope they have been immediately expelled (as well as charged) and that the police chief gets his head on straight about who's responsible here (um, like the criminals and their parents)

on the cell phone video, who is the person saying "beat his azz" and other nasty things - is it the kid who filmed it on his phone?

if so, he & a few others need a few lessons of their own

... and NO OTHER student tried to intervene either which tells me that everyone is afraid of those three morons

I would NOT assume that all of the others were afraid of those three.

Here is another video where others watch and a couple of people finally intervene, it is pretty apparent many are laughing and do NOT appear to be "afraid" at all. This kid got a beat down by two guys because a book bag fell to the floor.

<modsnip>

lol .. probation? :(

slap on the wrist, another words :((((((

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member