What Is the Defense Strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
snipped to address one point.

This always made me shudder and I still wonder why a sex crime investigator was called in.

I would think it was since a small child was abducted, and the possibility that she was abducted by a sexual predator. Or even if not, he is probably an expert on child abductions.

(respectfully snipped)

8. She's too pretty. She's her mother's only daughter. She loves her cat. She's patriotic. The death penalty is unconstitutional. She's a female. Her first boyfriend cheated on her. She has to stay alive to earn enough money to pay her fine for the check penalty. Pork rind companies would go broke. She was molested. She still has to pay back Grandma Shirley. She wants to adopt.

:D
BBM

No, no, no....let's leave the felines out of this please. :cat:

:D The rest of it is hilarious and I'm not too sure JB wouldn't use some of those points. MOO

Yep....as I recall it, ICA mentioned in a jail video that the reason she "chose" George as the one to have the "private alone time" with was because he was the one she had been "most distanced from" (words to that effect)....she mentioned this to him in a jail visit AFTER she wrote the letter to Sheriff Beary requesting the meeting...and then in a subsequent visit, George pushed the point saying he had made all the arrangements with Beary and how now would be the perfect time since Baez was off in New York.....remember the whole "you are CEO" speech?

But then ICA backed off from meeting with George...

As far as first bolded paragraph above.....wonder if this is where testimony from Lee is going to come in....especially if Anthony family eventually became aware of relationship (IF it happened) and then worked to hide it.......wonder if this is when Lee will finally throw ole Pop under the bus to save his sister?

That reminds me - I am going to have to back over the threads and the stickies, but I am positive Jolyana has said a number of times with the scientific terms there isn't a rats azz in he77 chance George is Caylee's father. She has laid out the DNA patterns a couple of times.

Darn, now where is that information? Be back soon (I hope).

That reminds me - I am going to have to back over the threads and the stickies, but I am positive Jolyana has said a number of times with the scientific terms there isn't a rats azz in he77 chance George is Caylee's father. She has laid out the DNA patterns a couple of times.

Darn, now where is that information? Be back soon (I hope).

Hi y'all .... its in the mythbusters thread....most recent post at the mo: 'George Anthony. You are not the father.'

Hi y'all .... its in the mythbusters thread....most recent post at the mo: 'George Anthony. You are not the father.'

Thank you Mrs G, I clearly remember that discussion and you putting it there - there is no doubt at all - George is NOT Caylee's father, as much as Baez cares to spin a story.

LOL - I can see Baez trying these but seriously,

1) We actually don't know if ICA has any juvenile history but I think six felony counts could be considered significant to indicate at this young age, combined with lying to her parents about having income, and anything the SA may have up their sleeve may add to this one.

2) Seriously? Baez is going to try to convince a judge a nagging controlling mother, who ICA completely ignored, enough to lie about having a job, who was caring for her daughter - had a fight - a fight? - with her mother the night before or the night she killed her daughter? I don't think any jury is going to buy that as extreme emotional distress or mental disturbance - Andrea Yates qualified - yes - but ICA - the girl who went out and rented videos with her boyfriend that night? MMM - no.

7) 22 in the legal sense is not young - 13, 14, 16 is considered young. At least according to the information I have.

And no don't print it out unless you really really want to - I think it is 300 pages long and I skipped the directory of 54 pages or something to shorten it!

It was interesting to consider some of the mitigating factors listed and the juries who said yes, we see this horrific background or whatever, but it's not enough. That surprised me.

Just want to quickly add that ICA being uncooperative, and not confessing and probably never will - will also not go in her favor at sentencing. No remorse.

Yes, seriously, Baez and team are going to present to the jury and judge as many of these mitigating factors as they can. In Florida the jury only has to be "reasonably convinced" of the mitigating factors presented during the penalty phase, as opposed to the aggravating factors which the jury has to believe beyond a reasonable doubt. So, during the penalty phase the prosecution has a much higher burden of proof than the defense. Plus, even if the jury finds that the aggravating factors outweigh the mitigating factors, they are not required to return a death penalty according to the instructions given jurors as ruled by the Supreme Court of Florida. As a juror you're not supposed to base your decision on emotions alone, although that's hard to do as human emotion isn't something most of us can just turn off. That's why the instructions are so important, it gives the juror guidance on how much weight to give a factor to make a decision according to the law.

Then Florida law gets into mitigating statutory factors and non-statutory factors and the different ways they are treated, but this all starts to go over my head since I am not a lawyer. But from my limited understanding, I believe the statutory factors (the listed items 1 - 8 that we have been discussing) should not be given a greater weight than non-statutory factors, which are basically anything else regarding the defendant's character or circumstances of the crime that are not listed as specific statutory mitigating factors.

1) According to the statute no significant prior criminal history means prior to the murder. I believe the prosecution will show Casey murdered and disposed of Caylee sometime between June 16 - 24, 2008. She committed the felonies she was convicted of in July 2008. Therefore she has no prior criminal history. Lying to her parents is not a crime. Lying to LE is a crime, but again I believe that was done after the murder.
2) This one regarding emotional or mental duress at the time of murder could go either way in my opinion. I do think the defense will try to say Casey was in some kind of dissociated state or PTSD because of a traumatic event when she committed the murder. It will be up to the jury and judge whether they believe the testimony from experts such as Dr. Steven Gold if the defense goes with this one, and if they do believe it, what kind of weight they'll give it.
7) Age - This mitigating circumstance does not apply to someone 17 or younger at the time of the murder because they are ineligible for the death penalty in the first place. It applies to defendants who are 18 years old or older therefore eligible for the death penalty. This is a factor that is considered on a case by case basis. Generally the closer to 17 a defendant is the more weight this factor is given. Between the ages of 20 - 25 the court has frequently held that age is no factor unless it can proven the defendant is emotionally, intellectually, and behaviorally immature.
8) Other Statutory Mitigating Factors - The existence of any other factors in the defendant’s background that would mitigate against sentencing of the death penalty. Among those that IMO may be part of the defense strategy are :
(1) Mental problems that do not qualify under other statutory mitigating circumstances. This one has been applied in a case where a psychologist referred to the defendant as an “emotional cripple” who was brought up in a negative family setting. It also applies in cases involving posttraumatic stress disorder as a result of extended sexual abuse. Sounds like Dr. Gold's expertise to me.
(2) Abuse of defendant by parents (physical, mental or sexual) - Defense could go here but in my opinion it would be hard to establish. This may be another factor where Dr. Gold testifies.

These are just the statutory factors. There's several more non-statutory factors, one of which is the showing of remorse. Yes it can be a mitigating factor if the defendant shows genuine remorse for their actions and not just sorrow for the victim. If the defense tries to go here with Casey, I think the prosecution will easily be able to show lack of remorse. So unless KC confesses remorse won't be a factor.

Another non-statutory factor is support of family which seems to be the assignment Cindy, George and Lee have absolutely taken to heart.

(All of above is based on my own opinion after reading about the Florida laws during the penalty phase of capital cases including this reference: document posted by BeanE in the "Mitigating - Aggravating Factors- General Information the penalty phase" thread - http://www.flcourts18.org/PDF/Eaton/2009_AJS_Pen_Phase_Mat.pdf)

I really think a jury could go either way in this case in regards to sentencing. It's going to be so fascinating to watch both the prosecution and defense during the trial. Personally, I don't think the defense has any strong mitigating factors to present, but it only takes a few jury members to make a difference. Since the judge makes the ultimate decision I could see how he'd hesitate giving a death sentence if the jury returned a 9 to 3 vote for instance.

Mitigation has to be the defense's main strategy in a death penalty case.

Yes, seriously, Baez and team are going to present to the jury and judge as many of these mitigating factors as they can. In Florida the jury only has to be "reasonably convinced" of the mitigating factors presented during the penalty phase, as opposed to the aggravating factors which the jury has to believe beyond a reasonable doubt. So, during the penalty phase the prosecution has a much higher burden of proof than the defense. Plus, even if the jury finds that the aggravating factors outweigh the mitigating factors, they are not required to return a death penalty according to the instructions given jurors as ruled by the Supreme Court of Florida. As a juror you're not supposed to base your decision on emotions alone, although that's hard to do as human emotion isn't something most of us can just turn off. That's why the instructions are so important, it gives the juror guidance on how much weight to give a factor to make a decision according to the law.

Then Florida law gets into mitigating statutory factors and non-statutory factors and the different ways they are treated, but this all starts to go over my head since I am not a lawyer. But from my limited understanding, I believe the statutory factors (the listed items 1 - 8 that we have been discussing) should not be given a greater weight than non-statutory factors, which are basically anything else regarding the defendant's character or circumstances of the crime that are not listed as specific statutory mitigating factors.

1) According to the statute no significant prior criminal history means prior to the murder. I believe the prosecution will show Casey murdered and disposed of Caylee sometime between June 16 - 24, 2008. She committed the felonies she was convicted of in July 2008. Therefore she has no prior criminal history. Lying to her parents is not a crime. Lying to LE is a crime, but again I believe that was done after the murder.
2) This one regarding emotional or mental duress at the time of murder could go either way in my opinion. I do think the defense will try to say Casey was in some kind of dissociated state or PTSD because of a traumatic event when she committed the murder. It will be up to the jury and judge whether they believe the testimony from experts such as Dr. Steven Gold if the defense goes with this one, and if they do believe it, what kind of weight they'll give it.
7) Age - This mitigating circumstance does not apply to someone 17 or younger at the time of the murder because they are ineligible for the death penalty in the first place. It applies to defendants who are 18 years old or older therefore eligible for the death penalty. This is a factor that is considered on a case by case basis. Generally the closer to 17 a defendant is the more weight this factor is given. Between the ages of 20 - 25 the court has frequently held that age is no factor unless it can proven the defendant is emotionally, intellectually, and behaviorally immature.
8) Other Statutory Mitigating Factors - The existence of any other factors in the defendant’s background that would mitigate against sentencing of the death penalty. Among those that IMO may be part of the defense strategy are :
(1) Mental problems that do not qualify under other statutory mitigating circumstances. This one has been applied in a case where a psychologist referred to the defendant as an “emotional cripple” who was brought up in a negative family setting. It also applies in cases involving posttraumatic stress disorder as a result of extended sexual abuse. Sounds like Dr. Gold's expertise to me.
(2) Abuse of defendant by parents (physical, mental or sexual) - Defense could go here but in my opinion it would be hard to establish. This may be another factor where Dr. Gold testifies.

These are just the statutory factors. There's several more non-statutory factors, one of which is the showing of remorse. Yes it can be a mitigating factor if the defendant shows genuine remorse for their actions and not just sorrow for the victim. If the defense tries to go here with Casey, I think the prosecution will easily be able to show lack of remorse. So unless KC confesses remorse won't be a factor.

Another non-statutory factor is support of family which seems to be the assignment Cindy, George and Lee have absolutely taken to heart.

(All of above is based on my own opinion after reading about the Florida laws during the penalty phase of capital cases including this reference: document posted by BeanE in the "Mitigating - Aggravating Factors- General Information the penalty phase" thread - http://www.flcourts18.org/PDF/Eaton/2009_AJS_Pen_Phase_Mat.pdf)

I really think a jury could go either way in this case in regards to sentencing. It's going to be so fascinating to watch both the prosecution and defense during the trial. Personally, I don't think the defense has any strong mitigating factors to present, but it only takes a few jury members to make a difference. Since the judge makes the ultimate decision I could see how he'd hesitate giving a death sentence if the jury returned a 9 to 3 vote for instance.

Mitigation has to be the defense's main strategy in a death penalty case.

You and I are reading the (very large) identical document and I can see we have varying opinions and that is as it should be.

I'm going to differ with you on your last point however, which is support of the family. Where George, Cindy and Lee have gone sideways on this one, is they are supporting her in her innocence, not in spite of her guilt, and I believe that will weigh against ICA's favor.

What do you think? Or did you interpret it differently? And honestly, I think any emotional or mental distress or PTSD they can pull up for ICA is pretty rinky-dink compared to the majority of cases brought up against the SA most of the time. Take Maya's background for example and compare it to ICA - there is no comparison!

You and I are reading the (very large) identical document and I can see we have varying opinions and that is as it should be.

I'm going to differ with you on your last point however, which is support of the family. Where George, Cindy and Lee have gone sideways on this one, is they are supporting her in her innocence, not in spite of her guilt, and I believe that will weigh against ICA's favor.

What do you think? Or did you interpret it differently? And honestly, I think any emotional or mental distress or PTSD they can pull up for ICA is pretty rinky-dink compared to the majority of cases brought up against the SA most of the time. Take Maya's background for example and compare it to ICA - there is no comparison!

Oh wow regarding the family's support, I didn't even think of it that way, you may be right, it certainly gives me more to contemplate.

And honestly I don't think Casey has a chance with the emotional, mental or sexual abuse causing duress working at all, but I think the defense is darn sure going to try. It's the most important role they have and it's really all they have, kwim?

The stats in this country regarding death penalty for women and especially death penalty for women who kill their children are heavily in Casey's favor. I will actually be really surprised if she gets sentenced to death. I am a death penalty proponent from Texas, and some rulings in Texas in the last few years have made it harder to seek the death penalty against women committing filicide which just doesn't make sense to me. But, if Casey gets sentenced to life in prison that will be okay with me, at least in Florida it is actually for "life."

Oh wow regarding the family's support, I didn't even think of it that way, you may be right, it certainly gives me more to contemplate.

And honestly I don't think Casey has a chance with the emotional, mental or sexual abuse causing duress working at all, but I think the defense is darn sure going to try. It's the most important role they have and it's really all they have, kwim?

The stats in this country regarding death penalty for women and especially death penalty for women who kill their children are heavily in Casey's favor. I will actually be really surprised if she gets sentenced to death. I am a death penalty proponent from Texas, and some rulings in Texas in the last few years have made it harder to seek the death penalty against women committing filicide which just doesn't make sense to me. But, if Casey gets sentenced to life in prison that will be okay with me, at least in Florida it is actually for "life."

Yes, it's interesting to think about the support issue isn't it - but I'm assuming it couldn't possibly be a supportive thing for the jury or judge if the family insists the convicted person is still innocent and it has been a miscarriage of justice. I'm trying to picture Cindy - saying to the jury - yes she is guilty but I promise she's a good person and won't do it again -um-no, that won't work - because first I can't imagine Cindy admitting ICA is guilty.

The other thing I have on my mind is the prior criminal acts - I was sure the SA was pushing to have the cheque fraud charges completed before ICA went on trial for the murder charges. Are you sure it isn't been convicted before the guilty verdict, not committed before the crime she is charged with. I think we're off on that one because there was quite the brouhaha about it. Thoughts?

Yes, it's interesting to think about the support issue isn't it - but I'm assuming it couldn't possibly be a supportive thing for the jury or judge if the family insists the convicted person is still innocent and it has been a miscarriage of justice. I'm trying to picture Cindy - saying to the jury - yes she is guilty but I promise she's a good person and won't do it again -um-no, that won't work - because first I can't imagine Cindy admitting ICA is guilty.

The other thing I have on my mind is the prior criminal acts - I was sure the SA was pushing to have the cheque fraud charges completed before ICA went on trial for the murder charges. Are you sure it isn't been convicted before the guilty verdict, not committed before the crime she is charged with. I think we're off on that one because there was quite the brouhaha about it. Thoughts?

Here is the thread that explains all about the use of prior bad acts.

2009.10.12 Defense's Motions In Limine-Preclude Murder Case Evidence, Prior Bad Acts
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90159&highlight=Check+fraud+murder+trial

Here is the thread that explains all about the use of prior bad acts.

2009.10.12 Defense's Motions In Limine-Preclude Murder Case Evidence, Prior Bad Acts
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90159&highlight=Check+fraud+murder+trial

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this whiteangora, I remember this discussion and will continue reading the links you provided.
My memory tells me this motion was denied, however - I only trust my memory just so far - sometimes I remember things the way I want them to be instead of the way they actually are.

Ah yes, the infamous supervising her students statement! LOL

Yes, I agree I can see this might be going is run George over with the bus.

But I'm not sure sexual abuse cases get off the ground without more information or hard facts besides "he said - she said". What is going to be really really interesting is how far Cindy is prepared to lie to save ICA's life.

And if there are any reports, doctor's visits, friends ICA confided in - besides Jesse G in her "looking for a home" conversation, and school counsellors, anything any where except "I had a dream" from ICA. If Baez has no backup besides experts saying her behavior indicates blah blah, I think Ashton and LBK will critique Baez right out of the courtroom.

And wasn't it ICA who wanted the single visit alone with George? My impression was ICA definitely wanted something and thought she could sweet talk George, where she knew it wouldn't work with Cindy.

BBM.

I'm remembering this the same way - it was ICA sending a letter to OCSD - Cindy would harp and Lee would interrogate, GA at the time was was still in her corner and trying to help LE (kind-a behind CA's back) and JB shut down the visit.

We already know Cindy "doesn't know who to believe" - IMHO George is history. I only hope if CA starts with her Anthony speak she is shut down.

snipped to address one point.

This always made me shudder and I still wonder why a sex crime investigator was called in.

I remember we went around and around on this "way back when", although I don't remember it involving NSavage - the unit was called "Sex Crimes and Missing Persons.

A lot of people were absolutely beside themselves over the idea of ICA covering up a possible sex crime against Caylee and sited the dirty dancing type pictures as proof as to her shaky morals. While I don't believe ICA has any morals at all, IMHO the dance pictures are all play acting - the problem I have with them is they were shot days after Caylee was last seen.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I knew I had read that same report but this rumor will not stay down.

Prior to the "notes from the inside", ICA had never claimed George sexually abused her - that was always Lee. We never saw any proof that there was an estrangement with Lee, matter of fact, there were lot's of pictures with the comment "the best guy I know" and "the best brother ever" in ICA's photo's - which makes me wonder if Lil Miss Anthony didn't have some funky crush on Lee - not the other way around. (Maybe even got shut down)

Any woman who has ever struggled into a pull over sports bra knows there is no way she would sleep thru it being pulled up, the way ICA described in her "in - side" notes.

I do not understand why we believe NOTHING that has come out of ICA's mouth, yet people from all over are standing ready to toss Lee and George under that bus. ICA is a liar - she lies about everything, she partied like it was 1969 for 31 days after Caylee was murdered. Honestly, I will not be one bit surprised to learn that JB was aware/behind those letters & notes. More spin for him and how else was he going to put that thought out there with his girl locked up with no visitors. :cow:

re: 2009.10.12 Defense's Motions In Limine-Preclude Murder Case Evidence, Prior Bad Acts
Does anyone know where the state and/or court's response to this motion might be found? I can't remember ever reading it. TIA
I looked over the criminal docket and didn't see it.

re: 2009.10.12 Defense's Motions In Limine-Preclude Murder Case Evidence, Prior Bad Acts
Does anyone know where the state and/or court's response to this motion might be found? I can't remember ever reading it. TIA
I looked over the criminal docket and didn't see it.

Casey accepted a plea deal from the court for all the check forgery charges rather than have a jury trial, which made the above motion moot. There was no need for the state to respond or the court to make a ruling.

Casey accepted a plea deal from the court for all the check forgery charges rather than have a jury trial, which made the above motion moot. There was no need for the state to respond or the court to make a ruling.

I guess that was not a motion to keep her check fraud felonies out of the murder trial. Was there a motion and response for that?

First of all if someone were to take your child away from you and threaten you, there is nothing worse that could happen to the child that isn't already in the process. Time is of the essence. To wait 31 days is saying you could not be bothered and rather like the idea of having your freedom. KC certainly did not act scared or concerned at any time during those 31 days. And on the 911 call she states about doing her own search, "I know, I was stupid." Talk about an understatement. She wasn't searching for a cellphone!!!!!!! jmo

Thank you Nums, isn't that the document that JB filed to keep Casey's prior bad acts out of the check fraud case? I was really trying to find out if a motion by the defense had been filed to keep the fraud charges out of the murder trial and if so, then how the court responded.

I know what you are asking or what you mean whiteangora, and if I knew where to find it - I would - I just know that motion didn't go forward, but don't know where to put my mouse on a document confirming it.

Thank you Nums, isn't that the document that JB filed to keep Casey's prior bad acts out of the check fraud case? I was really trying to find out if a motion by the defense had been filed to keep the fraud charges out of the murder trial and if so, then how the court responded.

Yes it was FILED for the check fraud trial, was that their intention? Who knows?

The only other motion in limine for prior bad acts on the Murder docket is related to Roy Kronk:

http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/Hi...nce Pertaining to Roy M Kronk 11-18-2009.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer