Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I noticed in the custody petition is #6 says that a neighbor reported Nancy missing.

Was the friend that reported Nancy missing a neighbor? I thought that I had read somewhere that the friend lived about 4 miles away?

Brad will be asking that the children be returned to him.

A judge awarded Nancy Cooper's family, which lives in Canada, temporary custody of the children until a hearing on the matter, scheduled for 9 a.m. Friday.

Kurtz said in an interview that aired Tuesday on Canadian Broadcasting Company radio that his client did not consent to the order.

"Brad loves his children. He is a very, very good father. And he is going to ask the court to return them to his care," Kurtz said.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3248238/

Boy, for someone who probably just met BC, that lawyer sure knows his client well.

If anything happens to those kids in BC's care, if he gets them back, the lawyer will be backpedaling real fast.

Respectfully,
RC

"Brad loves his children. He is a very, very good father. And he is going to ask the court to return them to his care," Kurtz said.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3248238/

Boy, for someone who probably just met BC, that lawyer sure knows his client well.

If anything happens to those kids in BC's care, if he gets them back, the lawyer will be backpedaling real fast.

Respectfully,
RC

I know. Hopefully Nancy's parents have got some concrete evidence because I've got a feeling he'll get his children back. If I was him, I'd consent to a temporary custody order for a month to see where this investigation goes.

Say if he was arrested, I wonder what he would do with the children. We haven't heard anything about his family...well maybe a brother that was supposed to be on his way to see him. Father in Europe, I believe.

I heard on Fox today that he didn't even show up to the custody hearing the first time and neither did his lawyer. My dh asked "did he even get notified?" I of course, said, if the children had to be physically turned over to the grandparents, and they were in his physical custody I would say that he knew about the hearing and was notified of it in advance.

Question is, if that's true and neither one showed at the hearing, why didn't he or an attorney show up?

I know. Hopefully Nancy's parents have got some concrete evidence because I've got a feeling he'll get his children back. If I was him, I'd consent to a temporary custody order for a month to see where this investigation goes.

Say if he was arrested, I wonder what he would do with the children. We haven't heard anything about his family...well maybe a brother that was supposed to be on his way to see him. Father in Europe, I believe.

Do you think Nancy's family will even bring the girls back to the states? I think they will do just about anything to make sure the girls don't have to go back to their father...considering the circumstances.

It is my understanding that this was an emergency ex-parte hearing. This means the other side is not notified in advance of the hearing. That is why there is a follow-up hearing on Friday, 7/25, at which both sides will be present.

Respectfully,
RC

Question is, if that's true and niether one showed at the hearing, why didn't he or an attorney show up?

If I were in Nancy's family's shoes, I would figure out a way to keep the kids no matter what the judge says on Friday. Yeah, it would be illegal, but I'd look at it as protecting the girls. I would not be surprised if Nancy's family firmly believes that BC murdered Nancy. If that's the case, in their position, I would figure keeping the girls out of the clutches of a murderer would trump obeying a court order to give the girls back to him.

If I were the judge, I'd take the matter under advisement and schedule a further hearing in 2-3 months. That would solve the problem: give the cops time to arrest BC (if they can) and protect the kids in the meantime.

My husband said he would hide with the kids so no one could find him to give him a court order to return the kids to BC. That's his way of (technically) avoiding not obeying a lawful court order -- he can't avoid what he doesn't know about.

Respectfully,
RC

Do you think Nancy's family will even bring the girls back to the states? I think they will do just about anything to make sure the girls don't have to go back to their father...considering the circumstances.

According to WRAL tonight, according to BC's lawyers, BC will fight for custody at the next hearing.

If I were NC's family, I would follow the advice of my lawyers, but my instinct would be to keep the kids in Canada (they are there this week for services).

Ya know....that did cross my mind. The only reason I think he will bring the children back is because he is a reputable person who at one time was the Director of Child Services in Alberta. I would expect that he would play by the rules.

That being said, he must have known this was a long shot of getting full custody at this time soooo.......maybe he's got some tricks up his sleeve.

It is my understanding that this was an emergency ex-parte hearing. This means the other side is not notified in advance of the hearing. That is why there is a follow-up hearing on Friday, 7/25, at which both sides will be present.

Respectfully,
RC
Thank you for the explanation RC!

Ya know....that did cross my mind. The only reason I think he will bring the children back is because he is a reputable person who at one time was the Director of Child Services in Alberta. I would expect that he would play by the rules.

That being said, he must have known this was a long shot of getting full custody at this time soooo.......maybe he's got some tricks up his sleeve.
I sincerely hope so.

This is all part of the process. I think everyone, including Nancy's parents knew Brad would fight for custody. Whether he really wants the kids because they're one of his personal possessions, or if he's just trying to get them, go through the motions, to make himself look less culpable for Nancy's untimely death, only BRAD knows the answer.

Who knows what will happen. The judge could either give them back to Brad, very possible, IMHO,............or................Brad could be arrested when he shows up to court!:eek:

:waitasec:I go for door number 2!I know innocent until proven guilty, but they need to start the process somewhere! Arrest THAT man! ;)

JMHO
fran

Since Brad is a Canadian citizen residing here only because of work, the children are Canadian citizens, and Nancy was also, could Nancy's parents file in Canada for custody? Would any hearing there have any bearing on the status of the children or will it be entirely a matter for the N.C. court due to their current residency in N.C.?

Presumably the Judge gave them temporary custody while the investigation is ongoing. Perhaps b the time the other hearing rolls around there will be further developments in the case or the Judge will have new information on his desk to show why they should have full custody.

Since Brad is a Canadian citizen residing here only because of work, the children are Canadian citizens, and Nancy was also, could Nancy's parents file in Canada for custody? Would any hearing there have any bearing on the status of the children or will it be entirely a matter for the N.C. court due to their current residency in N.C.?

Presumably the Judge gave them temporary custody while the investigation is ongoing. Perhaps b the time the other hearing rolls around there will be further developments in the case or the Judge will have new information on his desk to show why they should have full custody.

Both girls were born in Cary and both would be American Citizens, right? Could they also be Canadian Citizens?

I believe that the girls would have dual citizenship. I'm not sure, but I think the parents would also have to register their births in Canada.

But I am quite sure that the passports in question would be American. No child travelling without both parents can cross the border without a notarized letter of permission from the absent parent.

I believe that the girls would have dual citizenship. I'm not sure, but I think the parents would also have to register their births in Canada.

But I am quite sure that the passports in question would be American. No child travelling without both parents can cross the border without a notarized letter of permission from the absent parent.

I'm pretty sure this is correct.

It would be wonderful if the grandparents could file for custody in Canada.

I would like that. :)

Let's see what develops tomorrow. Today I'm sure Nancy's family is quite preoccupied. :(

JMHO
fran

It would be wonderful if the grandparents could file for custody in Canada.

I would like that. :)

JMHO
fran

It would be a bit easier if the girls were born in Canada that's for sure but since they have dual citizenship...who knows, maybe they'll try.
This talk about having the solicitor removed...personally I don't see a problem with her representing Nancy and now the family in this matter.
Didn't someone say that the lawyer used to be a Family Court Judge. I would think that she knows what she's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni