LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
How deep is the water in the area where the bike was found?

A bike wouldn't be too difficult to throw further if the goal was to get it completely underwater.

I don't like her answer at all! I STILL have not been able to pinpoint the bike location.

Looking at Google Earth, there is no way the bike could have been "off Exit 127" and in the water under the Basin Bridge. There is no water ANYWHERE under the exit ramp.

I'm still thinking it was in the water under the bridge just EAST of Exit 127, where the canal leading east from the boat launch begins. That makes sense.

But if so, it was either dropped from the bridge or thrown there from a boat. You can't get there with a truck.

The inability of people to communicate this is maddening.

Anndd..welcome to the biggest pet peeve of Websleuthers (peeve being 'less than' journalists).

:)

Holy crap! They're going to talk to LE about the people gassing up at the Circle K TODAY?!

Per the video, no distinguishing characteristics can be determined on the truck of interest.

Ms. McElfresh thinks LE has no further useful video, or it would have been revealed to the public for the sake of garnering more tips.

She thinks, in light of the disappearance, townspeople are "taking small precautions" but are not overly concerned about security in Lafayette.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/intera.../LIVE-2-Live-chat-about-search-Mickey-Shunick

(Great questions coming in, btw. I have a feeling many of them are ours.)

Hi all im a long time lurker on these boards and being that this case is so close to home (I live in Lake Charles) I have naturally been keeping up with this story. I just noticed on the FB message it says something along the lines of bringing Mickey back to Lafayette. I thought that was interesting wording to use. Thoughts?

BBM: I think that is interesting too.

I don't like her answer at all! I STILL have not been able to pinpoint the bike location.

Looking at Google Earth, there is no way the bike could have been "off Exit 127" and in the water under the Basin Bridge. There is no water ANYWHERE under the exit ramp.

I'm still thinking it was in the water under the bridge just EAST of Exit 127, where the canal leading east from the boat launch begins. That makes sense.

But if so, it was either dropped from the bridge or thrown there from a boat. You can't get there with a truck.

The inability of people to communicate this is maddening.

My thoughts exactly. The police stated they believe the bike was driven to the water's edge. If someone were trying to hide a bike never to be seen again, would they throw it in a puddle, ditch, or a deep major waterway.

The water is dropping a lot this week, which could have revealed the bike.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/la/nwis/uv?site_no=301002091344100

this also means the downriver current is strong

Some progress, but no breakthroughs, in the ongoing search for missing University of Lafayette student Mickey Shunick.

Authorities were hoping to track down the owners of three vehicles seen in a surveillance video the night Mickey Shunick disappeared. Corporal Paul Mouton of Lafayette Police says they tracked down two of them, and interviewed them.

"We have ruled them out as having any involvement in this case," Mouton said. "We did not gain any further information. They could provide us with no new information or leads in this case, as well."

Authorities still want to talk with the driver and or occupants of a white Chevy Z-71 pickup that was also seen in the area.
http://www.wwl.com/Police-track-down-2-of-3-people-sought-in-missing-/13278312

My God I miss boudin. The last time I bought some here I should have known something was off because it was spelled "boudain".

It had cilantro in it. We nearly yammed in the kitchen sink.

O/T: Don't know how Louisiana folks do hush puppies, but: Your comment reminds me of when I was living in IL (I'm a GA native) and was excited to find a place to order up some hush puppies. But they were -- sweetened, heavily!

curious - why do we keep closing threads down at 20 or so pages?
Now we have a gazillion threads...

Still wading thru the truck posts, but I think the truck we're looking for could also be a GMC Sierra z71, the model that Ms. Patterson says approached her. Very similar to a Chevy z71.

I was wondering about that. The trucks have eaten my brain.

I just slowly wonder about this entire investigation. Doesn't seem very sharply focused.

I can't help but think that the internal turmoil with the suit that's just been brought against the chief has affected LPD's ability to function smoothly as a top-notch team on this case.

For those living in the Lafayette area: A while back was there not a woman (could have been a man) who had multiple DUI's and accidents with injuries caused to others and maybe even a fatality? From what I remember this woman was never incarcerated?? Trying to jog my memory. Louisiana has to be the absolute best state for Drunk Drivers, they go free! For all I know the court gives them a debit card to use at their local bars!

May I mention that Louisiana has a 3 strikes law. The driver may have had several OWI/DWI offenses or felony arrests. If convicted of a 3rd, he/she could be looking at a lengthy sentence or possibly life in prison. This would give them motive to make the calculated decision to take the bike and MS to cover up their crime. The driver may have been impaired (2-3 drinks), not necessarily drunk, and still had the ability to think it through. Damned if you don't, damned if you do type of scenario.

I'm coming in on this a little late in the game, I apologize if another contributor has already touched on this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni