I-40, I-35 - OK/TX/AZ/MS/AR - Highway Serial Killings

Apologies if this has already been posted.

I find this terrifying. Not the least because no one seems to want to give any information to the travelling public.

In the past four decades, 459 deaths and 41 attempted homicides are believed to be linked to serial killers who are using the nation's highways to find and dispose of their victims.
and

During the past four decades, at least 459 people may have died at the hands of highway serial killers, FBI statistics show. Investigators do not know how many people may be responsible for the killings but at least one such case — of murder, attempted murder or unidentified human remains — has been reported in 48 states, along roads as far north as Alaska and as far south as Key West.
and

Even so, the FBI won't divulge the names of the victims, the dates the victims were abducted or discovered, even the locations where the killers either found their victims or dumped the bodies — places motorists might wish to avoid.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-10-05-1Ahighwaykiller05_CV_N.htm?csp=usat.me

That's a great article and I'm pleased it was in USA Today as so many travelers read that paper. I checked and found the link for the FBI's info page about this initiative:

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2009/april/highwayserial_040609

This cuts close to home for me as I live on the I-5 corridor and my daughter is trafficked up and down the corridor each day. My prayers go out to those victims and to the families left wondering.

I'm certainly still wondering and waiting.

Canada has one (or more) operating here:

http://www.highwayoftears.ca/links.htm

I think I met him. I think he tried to pick me up.

And I looked at the time very much like one of the people on this list, and the place he tried to pick me up is probably within a block or two of where Shelly-Ann Bacsu was last seen.

I didn't know that at the time. I found out later. I was living there for part of the year in 1999/2000. Not the only guy who has tried to pick me up, but he sure stuck with me.

That's a great article and I'm pleased it was in USA Today as so many travelers read that paper. I checked and found the link for the FBI's info page about this initiative:

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2009/april/highwayserial_040609

This cuts close to home for me as I live on the I-5 corridor and my daughter is trafficked up and down the corridor each day. My prayers go out to those victims and to the families left wondering.

I'm certainly still wondering and waiting.
I'm so sorry about your daughter, MissIzzy. You're an amazing woman, that's all I can say. :blowkiss:
The other night, you provided me with a link to a February, 2008, case where the bodies of two women were found in Mississippi in the same week just south of Memphis along the I-40 corridor. (The thread is here in the Missing Unidentified forum. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60474&highlight=mississippi+dismembered )

The deaths turned out to be unrelated. One was killed by her live-in boyfriend (horrible case). The second was found near Sardis Dam just off I-55 about 50-ish miles south of the I-40/I-55 junction in Memphis. A member who lives in the area posted that other bodies had been found in the area over the previous few years.

Anyway, it would seem these murders are among the rash of possible serial killings along the I-40 corridor as mentioned in the article you posted. It would be nice to have all related information in one thread. I'm not sure how we'd set that up. Separate threads for Truck Stop Serial Killings East and Truck Stop Serial Killings West? And one for Canada, too.

I think Bessie might be onto something. Isn't this what websleuths is for? Linkinng crimes, ferreting out clues? If the people in charge of the task force are going to be close-mouthed with the details, why shouldn't we try to do our own sleuthing? Moderators?

Apologies if this has already been posted.

I find this terrifying. Not the least because no one seems to want to give any information to the travelling public.

and

and

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-10-05-1Ahighwaykiller05_CV_N.htm?csp=usat.me

The thought of a serial killer is terrifying. I think that is why they hold such interest. But surprisingly most people are in more danger from people they trust than from a serial killer, or ever a random murder.

FBI's hunt for highway serial killers started in Oklahoma
The FBI's Highway Serial Killing initiative got its start in Oklahoma. Seven women connected to the state were found dead along roadways in 2003 and 2004. State investigators provided the information that led to the FBI's nationwide investigation.

Good article from Sunday Oklahoman along with list (below) of highway killer victims with OK connections

http://newsok.com/fbis-hunt-for-highway-serial-killers-started-in-oklahoma/article/3503019

• Margaret Gardner, 47, of Memphis, Tenn., found in Arkansas on July 11, 2003
• Jennifer Hyman, 24, of Oklahoma City, found in Mississippi on Aug. 20, 2003
• Sandra Beard, 43, last seen alive near Interstate 40 and Morgan Road, found in McIntosh County on Sept. 18, 2003.
• Vickie Anderson, 44, last seen alive near Sayre, found in Texas on Oct. 16, 2003.
• Sandra Richardson, 39, of Oklahoma City, found in Okfuskee County on Nov. 22, 2003.
• Patsy Leonard, 23, found in Pottawatomie County on Jan. 1, 2004.
• Casey Jo Pipestem, 19, of Oklahoma City, found in Texas on Jan. 31, 2004

April 6, 2009

In 2004, an analyst from the Oklahoma Bureau of Investigation detected a crime pattern: the bodies of murdered women were being dumped along the Interstate 40 corridor in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, and Mississippi.
The analyst and a police colleague from the Grapevine, Texas Police Department referred these cases to our Violent Criminal Apprehension Program, or ViCAP, where our analysts looked at other records in our database to see if there were similar patterns of highway killings elsewhere.​
Turns out there were. So we launched an extensive effort to support our state and local partners with open investigations into highway murders.​
Today, we’re publicly announcing our Highway Serial Killings initiative to raise awareness among law enforcement agencies and the general public about this issue and our unique assistance on these cases.

FBI Highway Serial Killings Initiative

Body of Missing Mesa Woman Found Along I-40
Murder Linked to Highway Serial Killer

POSTED: 9:41 pm MST July 16, 2010
UPDATED: 10:04 pm MST July 16, 2010

SNIPPED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Investigators with the Tulsa Police Department said surveillance video from the truck stop showed Peterson hitching a ride with a female trucker heading west. She was never heard from again.

In April 2009 a hiker found female skeletal remains at the bottom of a 1,000 foot cliff along I-40 near Lupton, Ariz. The autopsy concluded the woman was beaten to death. The woman was known as "Jane Doe" until DNA identified her last month as Peterson.

Federal investigators believe Peterson's case is not isolated.

The FBI's Highway Serial Killings Initiative investigates the staggering number of bodies dumped near interstate highways. A map on the FBI's website shows there are more than 500 victims over the past three decades, whose killer is a suspected long-haul trucker.

http://www.kpho.com/news/24292545/detail.html
Another link about Patty Peterson sent to me by a member.

http://csafd.proboards.com/thread/3684/homicide-patty-peterson-2006

Victim of alleged I-40 serial killer finally found

Sept. 6, 2010

The skeletal remains of a woman who disappeared from a Tulsa truck stop in 2006 have been found, and her slaying has been linked to the FBI's Highway Serial Killings Initiative.

Patty Peterson, 24, was identified after Tulsa police collected DNA samples from Peterson's family and had them entered them in a national database.

"We knew from the very beginning that something bad probably happened to her and that she obviously took a ride from the wrong person," said Tulsa Police Detective Margaret Loveall.

In this case, the system worked as it should to match a missing persons case with unidentified remains, Loveall said.

A hiker found Peterson's skeleton near a rest stop along Interstate 40 in Lupton, Ariz., in April 2009. This summer, authorities confirmed that DNA from the remains matched the samples from Peterson's family.

Cont. at the link

I'm probably way off base here, but the West Memphis Three (Arkansas) were found behind the Blue Beacon truck wash on I-40. I'm sure the police investigated, but darned if this isn't weird.

I'm probably way off base here, but the West Memphis Three (Arkansas) were found behind the Blue Beacon truck wash on I-40. I'm sure the police investigated, but darned if this isn't weird.
It puzzles me as to how someone could have made a body dump there. You have tons of truck traffic 24-7 there. That was a brazen move.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Josh & Rachel interviewed Serial killer John Robert Williams ( long haul trucker ),
who admitted to killing 30+ working girls during his time before getting caught. He also said that there was a Group known as the Ndendai made up of 5 men and 2 women. They travel East, West, North and South along the major Highways
and pick up their victims at the Truck stops or when their hitchhiking the highway.
These are the easiest places to pick them up. When they do pick one up and are ready to pass them off to another member of their group they place a call out to another and tell them that they have a Package ready for delivery and do they want the delivery, the recipient will ask how much for the package & delivery. These people are well organized. They cover the entire US. It's not just this group,but many more like them.

It was chilling hearing his description. *shiver*

I would love to hear the conversations with John Robert Williams in its entirety. I wonder how much is real and how much he made up for shock value and attention.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Body of Valley woman missing since 2006 found in N. Arizona
Posted: 8:57 PM
Last Updated: 31 minutes ago

CHANDLER, AZ - An East Valley family has a new reason to be concerned about the possibility a serial killer or killers could be preying on women along Interstate 40 in Northern Arizona.

Tina Preston believes a serial killer took the life of her daughter, Patty Peterson, back in 2006.

"It was just really shocking that was my sister," said Patty's younger sister Shasta.

A box filled with cremated remains is all the family has left of Patty .

A mother of two and just 24 at the time, her body was found last year -- but her remains were just identified.

She had been missing since 2006

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/regio...alley-family-fears-serial-killings-along-i-40

I was doing some research on the West Mesa killings. I have this theory, as well do others, who believe some of these serial killings may be long haul truckers. Obviously, there are several examples throughout the years that confirms this is more than just a theory.

Anyhow, I noticed there has been several women who have been discovered along this stretch of I-40 throughout the country. So I did some digging and found out the victims in the West Mesa killings were buried within close proximity of I-40 (see photo). I definitely think this is more than just a coincidence since Interstate 40 (I-40), a major east–west route of the Interstate Highway System, runs east–west through Albuquerque in the U.S. state of New Mexico. It is the direct replacement for the historic U.S. Highway 66 (US 66).

westmesa02-full.jpg ZlGm4Pg.jpg

As far as my theory...

In the broker freight industry, brokers refer to these as lanes (I-40.). A freight broker is an intermediary between a shipper who has goods to transport and a carrier who has capacity to move that freight. There are a number of these lanes used to pickup a load and drop off a load. If someone was so inclined they could look up some of these routes and match them to longhaul trucking lanes. Follow me here, if you could match these LANES with where the bodies are being dumped along the interstates (I-40) you could match these to companies who use these lanes to run their products or goods. The truckers themselves are very habitual just like serial killers, so they stick to routes or LANES they are familiar with. My point is, if you looked these lanes up and matched them to the interstate routes which have been used to drop their victims you could essentially track this killer or killers. Remember, there are a set amount of lanes in this country, (certain number). These truckers that kill are not going off their scheduled run. If tracked by GPS, they are where they are supposed to be etc. From one point (industrial area etc.; truckstops; to drop off and pick up spots.) They do NOT deviate from the path. Like I said, this is just a theory, but I have spoke to a friend of mine who is one of these brokers and this theory of mine is anything but a stretch. I am currently waiting to hear back from Michael Harrigan of the FBI in regards to my trucking lane theory.

Attachments

• westmesa02-full.jpg
    westmesa02-full.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 8
  • ZlGm4Pg.jpg
    ZlGm4Pg.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 8
Yes living the life is dangerous but those ladies don't ask to be killed. I've lived the rough life. I've had numerous people taken from me at the hands of John Robert Williams, Bruce Mendenhall. And more. I've been in serial killers trucks. I've jumped out of semis going down the highway because they wasn't letting me out. There are so many serial killer truck drivers out there. You have no clue!!!

The FBI's Highway Serial Killing initiative got its start in Oklahoma. Seven women connected to the state were found dead along roadways in 2003 and 2004. State investigators provided the information that led to the FBI's nationwide investigation.

Good article from Sunday Oklahoman along with list (below) of highway killer victims with OK connections

• Margaret Gardner, 47, of Memphis, Tenn., found in Arkansas on July 11, 2003
• Jennifer Hyman, 24, of Oklahoma City, found in Mississippi on Aug. 20, 2003
• Sandra Beard, 43, last seen alive near Interstate 40 and Morgan Road, found in McIntosh County on Sept. 18, 2003.
• Vickie Anderson, 44, last seen alive near Sayre, found in Texas on Oct. 16, 2003.
• Sandra Richardson, 39, of Oklahoma City, found in Okfuskee County on Nov. 22, 2003.
• Patsy Leonard, 23, found in Pottawatomie County on Jan. 1, 2004.
• Casey Jo Pipestem, 19, of Oklahoma City, found in Texas on Jan. 31, 2004
You forgot. Taddimeka Mchenry died Aug 7 2004. She is a victim of John Robert Williams

I think we should try to connect cases all up and down particular hwys and Interstate that are regular routes.
I live in MN and 1-35 can be driven from Laredo TX all the way to the Duluth MN and Lake Superior. People are taken from one end and then taken to another area on that same route before being traded or killed or disposed of. They are creatures of habit, 100%

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back