Deceased/Not Found CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Morgan Hill, 16 March 2012 #15 *A. Garcia-Torres guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is impossible to sustain a strong emotion such as grief for a long period of time without risking serious mental health issues. A person can't just curl up and cry for days and weeks on end. As harsh as it sounds, life goes on for most people. I'm sure Marlene has moments when she breaks down and gives in to the tears, but I wouldn't expect her to do it in public.

IMHO- be nice if she had some fliers with, to just hand to anyone that should speak to her about the case- just a kind 'thanks for caring, have a flier', and go about her biz

Seriously? The woman isn't allowed to go shopping, or to look forward to seeing her other daughter on Mother's Day? She's not allowed to experience a little joy in what she still has? Really?

I have no doubts this poor woman spends every night lying awake, hurting & fretting over Sierra, and will have plenty of daytime moments where she wants to breakdown over her daughter's absence on Mother's Day...but to expect her to hide away from the public unless she's wearing a permanent face of grief? Ugh.

All JMO

ETA - sorry if I'm coming across rather strong here...I just have a very strong protective thing for families of missing persons/murder victims (who are thus victims as well) who have their every move watched, analyzed & critiqued by the public. Especially because most of the public doesn't read up on how people actually act under such extreme, long-term stress before calling things 'hinky' or whatever. I guess I've just seen too many innocent families get re-victimized by accusations on boards & comment areas.

:clap: Thank you! Both you posts reflect my feelings. I couldn't have said it better. I to, am very protective of all victims so my blood does boil when I see someone being judged for a smile or gesture. I am guilty myself of putting on a "happy" face at times in public.

We all have a right to our feelings and opinions and I don't want to hurt anyone elses, but I think it is important to keep in mind what is hearsay. One persons grocery store observation of ML, that doesn't know her personally, to me is just gossip.

Thank you to all those who thought my original post was useful. There is, or seems to be, eternal optimism in this forum. Being a realist, in all likelihood, this girl is deceased. One can only hope LE gets something...ANYTHING out of that Jetta (if it really is involved) because this case is dangerously close to going cold. I mean really....nearly 2 months to make this red Jetta public...this girl lived in the middle of effing nowhere. Does anyone really believe it took LE THIS long analyze surveillance video and witness statements to conclude this car was out of place?

http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/morgan-hill-investigators-say-they-arent-releasing/vHF3T/

5/11/12 Sheriff Laurie Smith interview

Reporter: Earlier today I sat down with Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith to talk about what they are and are not telling the public about this case. This week, what appears to be a promising lead in the Sierra LaMar case was released to the media. On Monday, Sheriff's officials said they identified a red Volkswagen Jetta associated with her disappearance and put out this photo of a similar car. But what they didn't tell us until today was that they already had the car in custody.

Sheriff Laurie Smith: We had it before Monday, and when we realized that the public was looking for the car instead of telling us when they'd seen the car in the past, we had to put out a clarification that we actually did have the car, but we're looking for information about the car and the driver.

Reporter: Smith says the department did not mean to mislead the media or the public. She would not say if Sierra had been spotted inside the red Jetta with the black hood in any of the surveillance video they captured.

Sheriff Laurie Smith: The media is so helpful for us, but we're not going to release something that might hurt where we're going and our objective.

Reporter: The Sheriff says they have about 80 different pieces of video as evidence. Some show the car near Sierra's home, some don't. But forensics and witnesses lead them to believe the car is tied to her disappearance. She revealed the crime lab is still examining hundreds of pieces of evidence collected in the field.

Could those that said/keep saying that SL posted her phone # on twitter give me a day/date/time to look for? TIA

I saw where SL posted some random #s such as: "I told you 16473257890 to shut the front door!" That was NOT a phone #. I can't seem to find HER PHONE NUMBER that some say she posted on twitter. TIA. I look forward to the response(s) to my ?:seeya:

Seriously? The woman isn't allowed to go shopping, or to look forward to seeing her other daughter on Mother's Day? She's not allowed to experience a little joy in what she still has? Really?

I have no doubts this poor woman spends every night lying awake, hurting & fretting over Sierra, and will have plenty of daytime moments where she wants to breakdown over her daughter's absence on Mother's Day...but to expect her to hide away from the public unless she's wearing a permanent face of grief? Ugh.

All JMO

ETA - sorry if I'm coming across rather strong here...I just have a very strong protective thing for families of missing persons/murder victims (who are thus victims as well) who have their every move watched, analyzed & critiqued by the public. Especially because most of the public doesn't read up on how people actually act under such extreme, long-term stress before calling things 'hinky' or whatever. I guess I've just seen too many innocent families get re-victimized by accusations on boards & comment areas.

a.m.e.n.

:praying: for Danielle, Sierra and Marlene tomorrow. God give Danielle and Marlene strength to get through tomorrow. And the next day, and the next, etc. I'll gladly give up my Mother's day if we can get SL back. Gladly.

I hope they have been taken to a shelter and made ready for adoption...:(

As far as the bag being placed...if that is where the car was seen on video...shouldn't any person also be on tape?

I'm hoping MamaCat and kittens are happily munching down in a good shelter or even adopted already, too! Just in those few pics, she looked like she is full of personality.

I can't remember the link and am too pressed for time to hunt for it, but I think Cardoza said that the Jetta was seen "in the areas" where the evidence was found. To me, that could mean it was still in motion.

If the Jetta was just seen near one of the associated places, that could just be coincidence and I'm sure they saw hundreds of vehicles that were near just one site. If it had been near two, particularly if it were Sierra's house and the cell phone site, well, it could still be coincidence since the two sites were pretty much in a straight line.

But if it were seen near all three sites, that's suspicious to me and I wouldn't need to see the car actually stopped and the driver in the act of disposing of evidence. I'd want to find that person and see what they had to say about such a strange coincidence.

Do we know there was video by the shed? Far as I know there was video by her house, probably just eyewitness statements outside that area. I would think if there was video by the shed this case would be very solvable.

I agree that if there was a camera at the shed, it would be very easy to solve. Unfortunately, I doubt that there is one.

LE also referred to video from busses. A local has posted that there is a VTA stop near the shed, so I think it's possible that they have video of the Jetta near the shed from a bus.

Could those that said/keep saying that SL posted her phone # on twitter give me a day/date/time to look for? TIA

I saw where SL posted some random #s such as: "I told you 16473257890 to shut the front door!" That was NOT a phone #. I can't seem to find HER PHONE NUMBER that some say she posted on twitter. TIA. I look forward to the response(s) to my ?:seeya:

It's from a tweet on new year's eve. Still there. :what:

Do you think that Marlene LaMar believes that her daughter ran away? I know in the beginning she was adamant about her not being a runaway, but maybe she has knowledge that has her thinking (maybe hoping) that she just ran away.

Today, a member of my immediate family, helped Marlene at the grocery store in Morgan Hill. She was upbeat and happy and looking forward to a BBQ tomorrow. She was looking for a certain rub that goes on steak that her boyfriend really likes. My family member didn’t realize it was her until someone in the store asked her where people could send in tips. She then snapped back at the person that they could find it online. (I’m sure she’s sick of strangers approaching her in all walks of life, as if they know her personally.)

My first reaction is that I can’t imagine going to a BBQ and being happy about my first Mother’s Day while my youngest daughter is missing and possibly kidnapped and who knows what else.

But, then I started thinking about the letter Marlene released this week. At first, I thought it seemed somber and melancholy, but then I started looking at the words and it’s almost as though she’s trying to explain things she’s done in terms of being a mom and making tough choice to try and protect her kids. Maybe she wrote that public letter so that Sierra could hear the words, hear how much she loved her from day one, how much she was always a fighter and in a way say, “I’m sorry if I took you from your friends in Fremont. I’m sorry that I made you move. I’m a mom and we do things and make decisions because we love you and want to protect you, even from yourself.” She ended the letter telling both girls that she’s proud to be their mother and she loves them.

Once, SL sister Danielle also stated, “And to Sierra: "Stay strong. And when you do come home, nobody's going to be mad. Nothing else matters."

It’s like they are addressing her as if she ran away or left voluntarily.

Maybe that explains a lot of behavior questions. It’s hard to be completely distraught, if deep down you think that maybe, just maybe she actually ran away or left voluntarily.

Thoughts?

I think it would be one heck of a lot easier to drag your body out of bed each morning to go to work and carry on with a search if you convinced yourself that your kid was a voluntary runaway rather than having been abducted.

Humans can convince themselves of really amazing things for amazing periods of time. Look at the case of Shoichi Yokoi, a Japanese soldier found on Guam in 1972 who had not realised that the war ended in 1945.

I will look for it again. I know it was hers because I called it and got her voicemail with her on it and it said the mail box was full....

tia. I just need the day/date/time from her twitter acct. You cannot copy/paste the quote here per TOS. I'm not trying to get anyone in hot water. lol.

I've been through all her twitter and cannot find it. Maybe I'm blind or just stupid.

All JMO

Thanks was not enough.

My mother died last year. It was pretty fast, about 10 days between when she was diagnosed with cancer and when she died. She was in hospice and we (her family) were there around the clock.

Of course we were shocked and grieving. But we didn't spend all our time sobbing and grief stricken. For one thing, she would have thrown us out of her room! We spent plenty of time smiling, joking around, laughing, etc.

Maybe strangers would have said we were being inappropriate or that we didn't really love her. That if we really cared, we couldn't have been giggling at her bedside.

All I can say is that I know I love her so much and I miss her so much, that my life will never ever be the same. Losing her was a pain like nothing I've ever experienced before.

But you are right. Life goes on. It has to go on. And part of life is finding pleasure from time to time.

Plus, if I spent all my time crying, I know my mama would come and give me a slap on the back of the head with her ghostly hand for not appreciating all the good things in my life. She'd hate it if she thought her death had sucked all the joy out of my own life.

Marlene may very well not want to wear her heart on her sleeve in public. I can easily imagine her mentally pumping up, putting on her cheerful face, every time she has to go out in public.

I believe I have read that Marlene is half Japanese (and she really does look it); if her Japanese parent was enculturated in Japanese norms, then crying in public would be one of the most humiliating things Marlene could experience.

There was a case not so long ago that involved three perps deliberately singling out Japanese exchange students to kidnap and rape (Eddie Ball III, David M. Dailey and Lana Vickery) with the belief that Japanese women would never report a sex crime.

Fortunately, they were wrong, wrong and wrong.

But a month before they committed the kidnapping of three Japanese exchange students that they were convicted of, a Japanese student at the same school made a criminal complaint about them.

The investigating officer decided not to investigate because he felt the victim was too calm to have truly been assaulted. His little snap behavioural analysis allowed the 3 perps to go on to victimise 3 more women.

There are many cultures and many individuals who feel that crying in public or presenting anything but a calm, upbeat exterior is deeply humiliating. It does not mean that they lack feeling or emotion, it means that they have learned not to show it.

Full Timeline:

CA Sierra Lamar, 15, Santa Clara County, 16 March 2012 timeline and media thread - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/south_bay&id=8655001

May 9 more @ link

The number of volunteers dropped by 20 percent Wednesday, a big disappointment at Burnett Elementary School where the search teams are put together, but hope remains high that a break in the case could come at any time.

Volunteers were out searching shortly after 8 a.m. along Coyote Creek and other small ponds, undaunted by heavy growth of poison oak.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-co...s-office-rules-out-links-between-sierra-lamar

May 9 more @ link

On March 23, San Jose police responded to the attempted kidnapping of a 16-year-old girl in which her assailant used a stun gun-type device on her and tried to force her into a red compact car with tinted windows in Willow Glen.

A week earlier, on March 14 and 15, Walnut Creek police said a man tried twice to lure a 13-year-old middle schooler into his faded, red, older-model sedan.

Sheriff's Sgt. Jose Cardoza said in a statement Wednesday that his agency contacted San Jose and Walnut Creek police to explore possible links, but found none.

http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/morgan-hill-new-clues-found-by-authorities/vHDB8/

May 9 from video @ link

Reporter: The police department also revealed detectives examined two attempted kidnapping cases in San Jose and Walnut Creek involving a red car.

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: Our investigators- Sheriff's investigators have recently contacted detectives from both San Jose police and Walnut Creek police, and at this time there does not appear to be any similarities.

Reporter: Sierra's parents both showed up at the center today, and said they are also rejuvenated from today's volunteer turnout, and talking to investigators.

Steve: I was confident that they have a lot to, uh- that they're working on and following up with, um, from the car.

Marlene: It's in their hands now. They have a good piece of evidence, and I'm hopeful. I'm very optimistic, you know, until Sierra comes back, we're all praying.

http://www.kron4.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=4085

May 9 from video @ link

Sgt. Jose Cardoza: There was some recent contact made by our Sheriff's investigators with some of the local agencies to include San Jose police, they had a recent attempted kidnapping in the Willow Glen district, and then Walnut Creek police as well had a recent case. Our investigators reached out to those agencies. At this time, there does not appear to be any connection to the Sierra LaMar case.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/video/#!/...rra-LaMar-Case-Not-Linked-to-Others/150872815

May 9 from video @ link

Steve: I didn't get some of the answers to the obvious questions- like, about the car. You know, where, when, all that stuff. But- that's fine, I- I understood. And, yeah, sometimes it's a good sign that-um, it is a good sign that they're- uh, have some things that they're holding close for investigative purposes.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=8655003

May 9 from video @ link

Marlene: This does make, uh- a significant difference. This is a physical lead that they have that they feel is- is pretty strong and it's hopeful.

Marlene: The hope is- is- we're not giving up. Everybody's still hoping and praying.

Reporter: I asked Marlene LaMar if she were more upbeat- she seemed to me to be more upbeat today than she has been in weeks going by. She says she has to be strong, she has to hang in there because Sierra might be watching.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=8655576

May 9 from video @ link

Marlene: It's something that- that is significant that is going to expedite this investigation I feel. I consider it a sign of hope.
~~
Reporter: Sierra's mother has a message for her daughter.

Marlene: Stay strong. We're going to find you. You're coming back to us. Just hang in there.

Friday, May 11, 2012

http://www.morganhilltimes.com/news...cle_2428d23c-9b94-11e1-b27c-001a4bcf6878.html

May 11 more @ link

Sheriff’s search and rescue personnel will be conducting a search effort in the area of south Morgan Hill this afternoon, according to Santa Clara County Sheriff spokesman Sgt. Jose Cardoza. The ground search operation will focus on open fields and construction sites and zones in south Morgan Hill.

http://www.kionrightnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=18307542

May 11 more @ link

Tonight, the syndicated television show, America's Most Wanted will broadcast an in-depth segment on the missing Morgan Hill Teen.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-co...-missing-teen-sierra-lamar-issues-mothers-day

May 11 more @ link

Two days before Mother's Day, the mother of missing Morgan Hill-area teen Sierra LaMar issued a poignant statement reflecting on the joys and difficulties of motherhood.

The brief, three-paragraph letter sent to media outlets said that Sierra was her "miracle baby," conceived when Marlene LaMar, now 51, had been told she might not get pregnant again.

"Mother's Day is a time of reflection on what being a mom has brought to your life. Being a mom has been the greatest joy of my life. From the moment I knew that a little life was growing inside me, there was an overwhelming need to protect and nurture my child," the letter began.

Marlene LaMar said she wrote the letter for her daughters Danielle, 21, and Sierra, 15, and also for other mothers.

http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/morgan-hill-investigators-say-they-arent-releasing/vHF3T/

May 11 from video @ link

Reporter: Earlier today I sat down with Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith to talk about what they are and are not telling the public about this case. This week, what appears to be a promising lead in the Sierra LaMar case was released to the media. On Monday, Sheriff's officials said they identified a red Volkswagen Jetta associated with her disappearance and put out this photo of a similar car. But what they didn't tell us until today was that they already had the car in custody.

Sheriff Laurie Smith: We had it before Monday, and when we realized that the public was looking for the car instead of telling us when they'd seen the car in the past, we had to put out a clarification that we actually did have the car, but we're looking for information about the car and the driver.

Reporter: Smith says the department did not mean to mislead the media or the public. She would not say if Sierra had been spotted inside the red Jetta with the black hood in any of the surveillance video they captured.

Sheriff Laurie Smith: The media is so helpful for us, but we're not going to release something that might hurt where we're going and our objective.

Reporter: The Sheriff says they have about 80 different pieces of video as evidence. Some show the car near Sierra's home, some don't. But forensics and witnesses lead them to believe the car is tied to her disappearance. She revealed the crime lab is still examining hundreds of pieces of evidence collected in the field.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/video/#!/news/local/Search-for-Sierra-in-National-Spotlight/151225915

May 11 from video @ link

Marlene: I want her to see that. I want her to hear what I'm saying right now- that I love her and miss her dearly. And just, really- I'm anxious to see her again.

Marlene: I'm hopeful. They found Elizabeth Smart through America's Most Wanted.

Marlene: I'm still not giving up.

Marlene: Reaching out to Sierra, letting her know that I love her so much as a mother and definitely she's a joy in my life.

Marlene: As soon as I put that pen to the paper, things started to flow and it was effortless and I realize there's a reason why I'm doing it.

Marlene: I'm thinking about the future Mother Days that are going to happen and that- I'm going to celebrate it with Sierra.

Reporter: One interesting note, the idea to write this letter actually came from Marc Klaas. He thought it would be a good idea for Sierra's mom to try and make contact with her.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=8658957

May 11 from video @ link

Marlene: I'm reaching out to Sierra, letting her know that I love her so much as a mother and definitely she's a joy in my life and I do refer to- as my miracle baby.

Reporter: That's because she had Sierra late in life. She also wrote this letter to keep Sierra in people's minds, and help in her search.

Marlene: I'm still not giving up. I'm still hopeful and I'm just letting everybody know that this case is still wide open.

Marlene: I consider this a strong lead and want to follow up on it.

http://www.morganhilltimes.com/opin...cle_321826f6-9b97-11e1-80a6-001a4bcf6878.html

May 11 Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor,

As one of many volunteers manning the kitchen at the Sierra LaMar Recovery Center at Burnett School, I want to publicly thank all those who have contributed food and drinks for the hundreds of volunteers searching for Sierra.

Food has been served all day on each of the days the center has been open and some donors have been back each and every day bringing coffee and food.

Come by the Recovery Center at Burnett and take a look at the list of food donors displayed on the kitchen wall. Support and thank those businesses and individuals who have gone above and beyond in support of the search. This community, which extends from Gilroy to San Jose, has shown such heart and generosity.

Joan Sullivan, Morgan Hill

tia. I just need the day/date/time from her twitter acct. You cannot copy/paste the quote here per TOS. I'm not trying to get anyone in hot water. lol.

I've been through all her twitter and cannot find it. Maybe I'm blind or just stupid.

New Year's Eve post....about the 6th or 7th one down. Response to someone who asked her for it. Still there.

When my best friend passed away I would go back and forth between being a complete sobbing basket case to being totally fine. I would cry and sob hysterically, suddenly calm down and feel fine. Then a couple hours later lose it all over again. This went on for weeks, back and forth multiple times a day. I think this is normal and probably something most people do. I don't think I ever lost control when I was in public either, but I did at home a lot. I think Sierra's mom is experiencing something similar. Come home soon Sierra!

Oh, no biggie...I'm always in hot water. I'm not good with authority, but I wouldn't post it here. Maybe I'm just not good at reading directions. The mods here are forgiving...only reason I'm still here I surmise :yesss: off to bed

5/11/12 Sheriff Laurie Smith interview

I still haven't watched the AMW episode yet, but have read here that the red car was included in the body of the show, not as an update of new info since the taping.
This tells me that they had this upward of a month ago and only released it on Monday because they needed to have at least mentioned it before it became a topic to a wider audience on Friday with the show's airing.

Therefore, the pretense that they just found the car and is just NOW taking it in for forensics examination appears to be just another deception of the public regarding this car.
80 separate pieces of video that had not been taped over in the interrim?
80?

There is a point at which the car will either, (should have already?), lead to a break in the case and will prove pivotal to solving Sierra's disappearance, or it will be dismissed like the handcuff box and used condoms, as not being case related.

Meanwhile, the Sheriff's clarification didn't do a whole lot of clarifying.
Maybe she will issue a statement to clarify the clarification of the clarification.

Or perhaps she will heed sage advice, when you realize you have dug a hole you can't climb out of, the first thing you do is stop digging.

As always, thank you askfornina.

I still haven't watched the AMW episode yet, but have read here that the red car was included in the body of the show, not as an update of new info since the taping.
This tells me that they had this upward of a month ago and only released it on Monday because they needed to have at least mentioned it before it became a topic to a wider audience on Friday with the show's airing.

Therefore, the pretense that they just found the car and is just NOW taking it in for forensics examination appears to be just another deception of the public regarding this car.
80 separate pieces of video that had not been taped over in the interrim?
80?

There is a point at which the car will either, (should have already?), lead to a break in the case and will prove pivotal to solving Sierra's disappearance, or it will be dismissed like the handcuff box and used condoms, as not being case related.

Meanwhile, the Sheriff's clarification didn't do a whole lot of clarifying.
Maybe she will issue a statement to clarify the clarification of the clarification.

Or perhaps she will heed sage advice, when you realize you have dug a hole you can't climb out of, the first thing you do is stop digging.

As always, thank you askfornina.

:seeya: Good Post !

And I agree : either this vehicle will or will NOT be related to Sierra's disappearance ...

And I wonder IF -- IF they are on a "wild goose chase" with respect to this car ?

:moo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member