Rescued beagles experience grass & sunlight for the 1st time

Herding Cats that is so wonderful! Little Romi certainly has stolen lots of hearts!

Yeah, MWC, I am pretty excited. He's outside now, before I run errands this morning, and outside with Gracie the Bodyguard. He's made some huge strides these last 24 hours...and I can't be more pleased. This is the start of potty training, and of integrating, back into the world he belongs to.

I just wish I could get him to eat treats. I put peanut butter out for Gracie, took a bite off my finger and offered the rest to Romi...he looked at me like I was crazy. Refused to touch it, even when I put some on his paw. Gracie licked his paw clean after it was clear Romi wasn't going to...LOL.

Well, we'll just keep on working away at it...I'm just so pleased with his progress and getting happy outside, you know?

YAY Little Romeo!

Best-
Herding Cats

Yay for lil romeo! He is making such strides and so quickly.

Molly joined the household wenesday. She is going on an immediate diet. Poor girl she is so heavy and unfit. She decided I am her alpha and is so far up my butt a colonoscopy couldnt pry her out! She cannot get enough attention. Simply cannot.

She has had an accident her first night (omg bull mastiff poo is not pleasant to wake up to) but seemed suitably embarrassed by it. She also destroyed three phone books and a stack of dh paperwork. Not enouh sense to be shamed about that, lol

Overall, so far so good.

HC - I haven't been on WS all that much following the Casey Anthony Case (or debacle??) but somehow managed to find this thread today. Completely made my day - you totally :rocker:!!

I have 2 beagles who are the most spoiled but lovable dogs you can imagine. They love all people, other dogs, cats, everybody really. One is an AKC registered female that we bought and the other is a gorgeous full blooded guy that someone dumped at our deer hunting ranch. He was full of heartworms (in his heart and lungs) and very near death, but he pulled through treatment and is just THE sweetest and most playful dog you can imagine. He had been horribly neglected but not actually abused. He's not shy around people at all. He is the most beautiful blue ticked tricolor hound - he looks like he should be in an oil painting. Can you tell that I LOVE beagles??? They are truly special dogs! Romi definitely seems like he is starting to act more and more like a beagle, which is fantastic!!

The only difficulty I have ever had with my beagles is having trouble with them darting out the front door on occasion as someone is going in or out. This is a disaster as they will follow their noses and hunt until they decide to quit and come back. They can be in the next county in the blink of an eye - they are faster that they look! We've spent a few sleepless nights and miserable days looking for our dogs and we've been really lucky that they managed to evade the coyotes and bobcats we have in the area (not to mention the traffic!!). We've finally gotten smart about having baby gates up to block them from getting to any doors that lead to unfenced areas, so we managed to put a stop to that. As Romi gets bolder and wants to explore and sniff (and hunt!!) he might want to try the same thing. Doesn't seem like he'd want to do it now but it sounds like he is getting bolder and more 'beagle-y" by the day. They love to sniff and hunt. If mine aren't curled up and snuggling with us and demanding to be petted, they are on the hunt. Constantly. We gave in and now have about four acres under fence so they can hunt to their little hearts' content every day (safely). They have woods, open pasture to run in, and a barn they can get into with beds in it for their midday nap. I don't even want to know how much we've spent getting things set up for them!! :crazy:

Thanks for what you are doing for this precious hound - keep us posted!!

ETA - just thought of something you might try as a "treat" for him to get him used to the idea. You can try braunschweiger (not sure I spelled that right) from your deli and form it into a little ball for him. Our vet gave us this idea when our female beagle was recovering from a rattlesnake bite and wouldn't eat anything. We had to get meds down her, and that did the trick when nothing else would. (and yes, she survived the bite, after a whole vial of antivenin and a stay at the emergency clinic followed by 3 weeks of being really, really sick). Did I mention how much we have managed to spend on these dogs??? :)

OK, so now I'm sure he whined for lovies earlier. Because he does whine. LOL. And, much to my surprise, he has NOT been debarked...just a quiet soul. I know this because he barked...while standing at the den door, inside, wanting to go out.

Because I don't want him barking, I didn't let him out...but a few minutes later, I did. He and Grace just romped and played...that little guy can move when he wants to; I saw his run for the first time a bit ago. And I swear - just swear, he was smiling.

And yes, he does indeed come up onto his hinds for lovies...he uses Gracie as his 'wall', but he wanted some lovies badly a bit ago, when Gracie wanted some. I believe she is trying to teach him how to be a dog...including all the dog stuff we don't want (like jumping...LOL). But I'll let that go for now, because I want him to just get used to being a dog, and not so tightly wound he won't do anything, you know?

Anyway, it looks like shortly we will do a real unsupervised backyard event. I've been standing in the den watching them out the window, but he's looking pretty good and happy, and Gracie is really good with him...so...I'm hoping that it will go well.

YAY little guy. And yes, Tally, he is getting more beagly daily. Almost hourly, today. LOL. He still doesn't like to cross thresh holds, though...so I'm not too worried about him darting out. Maybe tomorrow, or shoot, in an hour...but not just yet. LOL.

I'm just so happy for him.

Best-
Herding Cats

Yeah, MWC, I am pretty excited. He's outside now, before I run errands this morning, and outside with Gracie the Bodyguard. He's made some huge strides these last 24 hours...and I can't be more pleased. This is the start of potty training, and of integrating, back into the world he belongs to.

I just wish I could get him to eat treats. I put peanut butter out for Gracie, took a bite off my finger and offered the rest to Romi...he looked at me like I was crazy. Refused to touch it, even when I put some on his paw. Gracie licked his paw clean after it was clear Romi wasn't going to...LOL.

Well, we'll just keep on working away at it...I'm just so pleased with his progress and getting happy outside, you know?

YAY Little Romeo!

Best-
Herding Cats

WHY do you want to feed him treats? I'm at a loss here. I have had and still have lots of rescued animals that live with me and on my property and NONE get treats. I would estimate I've had over a 100 dogs (12 current), 1 mean azz donkey, 3 current horses (many before them .. all discarded to some auction house before I bought them), + assorted other critters.

I taught all my dogs (that had a good chance of going to a forever home) to SPEAK (bark) and then I taught them NO SPEAK. I rewarded them with good boy/good girl/praise and lots of head scratches/loving when they obeyed. IF they didn't want to work (play in their world) ... I walked away and tried it again at a later date. The 12 dogs I have now, I cannot trust around anyone with children or even other adults. They are too badly "damaged" to go to another person as I am the only Alpha they know. They are fine with me and DH, but when my kids come home, they know to leave those dogs alone or LEAVE IT as I taught them as little tykes with all the strays I took in.

I wish you well with your endeavors. I truly do.

I believe she is trying to teach him how to be a dog...including all the dog stuff we don't want (like jumping...LOL).

Yes, I think that Gracie knows more about Romi and what to do to help him that we can currently understand as humans, and between the two of you, you will heal Romi as best as can be done. When I introduce a puppy into my pack, the older dogs are so influential in the puppy's training and in teaching the puppy all that is necessary to be a dog.

Thank you for what you are doing to help Romi -- you will be blessed for your efforts.

Happy New Year to you, Romi, Gracie, and all your loved ones!

Great question, Ransom.

I want him to take treats because he doesn't respond to human touch. Or rather, didn't. He does now, but it's still tenuous. If I move too fast, or there's a noise, or I stand up suddenly, he shies away from me, and it's tough to calm him down enough to resume whatever we were doing.

It's also a trust issue, I think. If he can trust me enough to take a treat from me, after all the stuff he's obviously had put down his throat in the lab, then he's starting to believe that I am not out to hurt him, and that is the beginning of a good, solid rehabilitation.

Because I have very few resources with him, I am wanting to establish another route that allows him to be reassured that he's o.k., and that he can relax a bit. Food, in all animals, does that. Food is comfort, and security. Treats are reassurance that "there is nothing to fear, here, have a bite of X" because in the wild (and in the home), animals don't tend to eat when they're stressed and overly worried. Food allows them to establish that the place is safe, and whatever they're concerned about is nothing, really...

I don't know if that makes sense. I won't fall over and have a heart attack if he doesn't ever take a treat, but I would love to have that reassurance weapon in my arsenal, you know?

It also makes training easier, but I'm not too concerned about his manners and obedience just yet. I'm just overjoyed that he's starting to expand his "safe places" and learn that there are other places than the hearth that he can be all right in. Once he establishes himself as a dog, he can start learning things...but I'm not worried about that just yet.

Just to update quickly: blessed little Romi slept like a lump last night. Snoring, quite loudly, and muttering/twitching in his sleep. LOL, cracked me up. He had a big, big day, with all the outside time, so I'm not in the least surprised. I'm also fairly sure he's sore...he is not in shape, but he'll get there. LOL. Stayed on the hearth for the night, too...but after breakfast, he's getting outside time with Gracie, and it will probably be for a good hour. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does with some longer stretches of time out there.

Best-
Herding Cats

Final update for the year 2011...

Little Romi is now approaching me, nudging my hand for pets, and, when I don't pet him long enough, he puts his paw on my arm or leg.

I've gotten several kisses from this lovebug today...very dry (compared to Gracie kisses, everything is dry. LOL), and very, very fast, but definitely deliberate and without question meant.

And, possibly the neatest thing of all, he got to waggin' that white-tipped tail of his so fast that it became a blur. Or maybe that was the tears....but I think it was the speed. The sheer exuberance of that little guy running around with Gracie (when she's not trying to tackle him) is glorious to watch.

None of the cats are bothered by him in the least. They just kinda accept that he's not gonna bother them, and I've caught Malachi and him sharing a food bowl many more times than once. And Eeyore, too. It's very funny to watch, but I never have my camera around.

He has given me his version of a grin several times today, too. Not sure it's a real "smile", but definitely a completely different expression than he had when he got here.

He is totally taking advantage while he's outside to use the potty, too. I still keep the wee-wee pads down, but he's using the proper bushes and spot of lawn for his potty...and I am hoping that soon, he will be pretty much house-broken...and then we'll start on leash-walking. One thing at a time, right?

And, what's about the neatest thing, is he comes a-runnin' for me when I call him over from the back yard jaunts. Just tearing across the yard, and, when he reaches me, he goes up onto his hinds and that tail is going so fast and he's smiling and having fun...I could swear he's hollering "whhhaaaa- hoooooooo!!! This outside thing is pretty cool!" Such a dramatic change from the totally frozen, trembling dog he was...totally, 180* different.

I am sooooo proud of this guy...

Happy New Year to all of Romi's "fan club"...thank you, and the prayers and thoughts you've sent have really made a difference to this guy...and thank you from me, too.

Best-
Herding Cats

Ladies and Gentlemen...drum roll, please!

I just looked out the window into the backyard. Gracie is at her accustomed place by the door, snoring while sprawled on her back.

Romeo is stretched out, nose on paws, on the in/out carpeting I have on one section of the back patio, eyes closed, apparently sleeping.

They have been unsupervised (watched, but not supervised) for the last two hours. No issues...no problems. And little Romi is calm enough to catch some Zzzzz's.

Rock on, wee little dog, ROCK ON!

Best-
Herding Cats

PS: I took him out before bed last night but also put out the wee-wee pads. This morning, 9 hours later, no use of the wee-wee pads, and he was quite interested in heading out with Gracie for the "morning toilette." :rocker:

Way to go Romi! I love these updates so much. He's made such progress; it's amazing. You've done such a wonderful job with him! :)

I'm so happy HC!!! I was really worried for him just 2 weeks ago. He's suddenly making such big strides & I'm just so, so happy!!

I'm so happy HC!!! I was really worried for him just 2 weeks ago. He's suddenly making such big strides & I'm just so, so happy!!

I was worried, too. Bless his heart, I was totally wondering what more I could do. But he seems to have made a decision that he's in a safe place, I guess...and is really doing well right now.

Or was. Still to be seen how a chance encounter with a rogue sprinkler system will affect him. Gracie just plays with them if they go off while she's in the yard. He was barking. Which is why I realized they were on...Gracie doesn't tell me because she loves to play in them, but apparently, Romi is a bit concerned about water suddenly spurting from the ground.

He came in, shivering and wet...I dried him off, and he seems to be fine...but we'll see. It's night, the sprinklers are not necessarily silent, and it was a definite surprise for him.

OTOH, he seems to have decided that the hearth is not the only place he's safe. Right now, he's laying between the dining room and the den...a great spot at the foot of the hutch. No bedding, but that's fine...his bed is still down on the hearth...he can see me, and see the backyard, and see the whole living area of the house, basically, from that spot. And I'm tickled that he's decided somewhere else is safe.

YAY little guy. Now, just to hope that the sprinklers didn't make him scared of the dark or the backyard.

Best-
Herding Cats

ETA: doesn't seem to be an issue. Color me shocked, you know? He and Gracie went out just fine, hung out for about 30 minutes in the dark, and I just now brought them in and put Gracie in her bed. She's been really restless tonight, unlike her to be up/down, pacing...but she seems fine, just restless. Romi, otoh, is a happy camper. Tuckered out from a long day, a lot of it spent outside...the pads are down for the night, and we'll see if he's taken to potty training. LOL. Overall, another absolutely excellent day for little Romi...absolutely excellent.

So proud of Romi! Go, little beagle, go! I love the Romi and Molly updates....

Right this very moment, Romi is roaming around the house. The gardeners are here, making a racket with the leaf-blower...so I brought Gracie and him inside. Gracie could care less about the gardeners - actually adores them - but little guy is still kinda scared of them (fine, very scared). But he's watching Gracie snooze, so he went and laid down, too...and seems to be handling this all very well.

Romeo really, really enjoys his outside time now. Such a huge change from the terrified beastie who was scared of the wind, sun, and grass on his feet...now, he'd rather be outside than in, until it's night. Then of course he wants to come in...but for the most part, he's outside now.

As for potty training, he's coming along well. I've had him on a schedule since 1/1, and he used the wee-wee pads once. :) All the rest of the time, he's gone outside, like a good boy.

And, YES!!! He now knows how to chew on bones. He takes Gracie's left overs (well, Gracie takes all the new ones, and leaves the old ones for him, rather...LOL...), and I watched him gnaw at one old strip of rawhide for hours last night. He was in absolute heaven. I've thought he was chewing them, but had not seen him until last night. I'm quite thrilled...he really is learning how to be a dog, and that is delightful.

As for leash-training, it's going slowly. He doesn't mind it trailing behind him wherever he goes, but does not understand how to walk with someone holding it. We've been practicing him walking and me just barely touching it with NO pressure all around the backyard, but he is not liking that too much...and he likes even less when I'm in front. We'll figure it out yet...something will click and he'll be just fine. I show him Gracie on a leash a lot, too. And he loves to sniff at Gracie when she comes in from "being out there". He'll figure it out, I'm sure.

And, what a great thing - they're both eating next to each other from their own dishes outside. This morning was the first time I tried that, but apparently, it's no real issue at all. Gracie eats, he eats...next to each other (about 4 feet away, but parallel, on either side of the den door).

And yes, he still gets sooooo excited when I come out to see them...running around in circles, tail wagging so fast it's a blur, Gracie jumping on him and him jumping on her...both jumping on me...yeah, it's pretty cool.

And I caught them snoozing together today - he was snugged up on her bum, and she was asleep and snoring. I couldn't tell if he was snoring, but he was indeed napping.

I'm very, very proud of this little fighter, this very brave little guy. Two months ago, he was in a lab in Spain...one month ago he was too scared to leave the hearth. Now, he likes nothing better than to roam the backyard, with his bodyguard Gracie. What a little fighter he is...what a great guy he is. I'm quite thrilled and proud.

Go, Little Romeo, GO ON with your big bad doggie self!!

Best-
Herding Cats

Right this very moment, Romi is roaming around the house. The gardeners are here, making a racket with the leaf-blower...so I brought Gracie and him inside. Gracie could care less about the gardeners - actually adores them - but little guy is still kinda scared of them (fine, very scared). But he's watching Gracie snooze, so he went and laid down, too...and seems to be handling this all very well.

Romeo really, really enjoys his outside time now. Such a huge change from the terrified beastie who was scared of the wind, sun, and grass on his feet...now, he'd rather be outside than in, until it's night. Then of course he wants to come in...but for the most part, he's outside now.

As for potty training, he's coming along well. I've had him on a schedule since 1/1, and he used the wee-wee pads once. :) All the rest of the time, he's gone outside, like a good boy.

And, YES!!! He now knows how to chew on bones. He takes Gracie's left overs (well, Gracie takes all the new ones, and leaves the old ones for him, rather...LOL...), and I watched him gnaw at one old strip of rawhide for hours last night. He was in absolute heaven. I've thought he was chewing them, but had not seen him until last night. I'm quite thrilled...he really is learning how to be a dog, and that is delightful.

As for leash-training, it's going slowly. He doesn't mind it trailing behind him wherever he goes, but does not understand how to walk with someone holding it. We've been practicing him walking and me just barely touching it with NO pressure all around the backyard, but he is not liking that too much...and he likes even less when I'm in front. We'll figure it out yet...something will click and he'll be just fine. I show him Gracie on a leash a lot, too. And he loves to sniff at Gracie when she comes in from "being out there". He'll figure it out, I'm sure.

And, what a great thing - they're both eating next to each other from their own dishes outside. This morning was the first time I tried that, but apparently, it's no real issue at all. Gracie eats, he eats...next to each other (about 4 feet away, but parallel, on either side of the den door).

And yes, he still gets sooooo excited when I come out to see them...running around in circles, tail wagging so fast it's a blur, Gracie jumping on him and him jumping on her...both jumping on me...yeah, it's pretty cool.

And I caught them snoozing together today - he was snugged up on her bum, and she was asleep and snoring. I couldn't tell if he was snoring, but he was indeed napping.

I'm very, very proud of this little fighter, this very brave little guy. Two months ago, he was in a lab in Spain...one month ago he was too scared to leave the hearth. Now, he likes nothing better than to roam the backyard, with his bodyguard Gracie. What a little fighter he is...what a great guy he is. I'm quite thrilled and proud.

Go, Little Romeo, GO ON with your big bad doggie self!!

Best-
Herding Cats

bbm

HC, this is all just so incredibly heartwarming and wonderful. Thank you sooo much for sharing and allowing us a peek into this beautiful process! BUT... but... we want pictures of Romi and Gracie napping, etc. :D

Beli, let me see what I can get together...I have found all my camera stuff, so it's just a matter of getting the photos taken.

Gimme a few days, and I'll do my best to get some shots. Deal?

Best-
Herding Cats

Beli, let me see what I can get together...I have found all my camera stuff, so it's just a matter of getting the photos taken.

Gimme a few days, and I'll do my best to get some shots. Deal?

Best-
Herding Cats

:highfive:

:beagle:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members