17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
If somebody attacked me I would not be in a helpful mood. And he claims he was attacked.

And there is that big word, even with only two letters it really means so much.......IF. At this point in time we have nothing that proves what Zimmerman said was true. There is no evidence yet that proves that Trayvon attacked Zimmerman other than asking him "why are you following me?". If that is an attack then more people would be shot dead.

Even IF Trayvon attacked Zimmerman why didn't Zimmerman do what has come so natural to him in the past? Why didn't he call 911 himself and request an ambulance? If not for Trayvon, why not for himself?

I think that will be a huge sticking point for the jury. The fact that Zimmerman did not call 911 and request medical attention for himself points to his story about being attacked, beaten, nose broken and having his head bashed into the sidewalk being just that......a story.

MOO

And there is that big word, even with only two letters it really means so much.......IF. At this point in time we have nothing that proves what Zimmerman said was true. There is no evidence yet that proves that Trayvon attacked Zimmerman other than asking him "why are you following me?". If that is an attack then more people would be shot dead.

Even IF Trayvon attacked Zimmerman why didn't Zimmerman do what has come so natural to him in the past? Why didn't he call 911 himself and request an ambulance? If not for Trayvon, why not for himself?

I think that will be a huge sticking point for the jury. The fact that Zimmerman did not call 911 and request medical attention for himself points to his story about being attacked, beaten, nose broken and having his head bashed into the sidewalk being just that......a story.

MOO

Well, I am sorry, but because of SYG it works the other way. Prosecutor will need evidence that Zimmerman did not act in self-defense. Not the other way around.

Well, I am sorry, but because of SYG it works the other way. Prosecutor will need evidence that Zimmerman did not act in self-defense. Not the other way around.

Based on the conversation the past thread or so I would say that it has been proven that is not the case. I remember reading numerous posts saying that the defense will be the one that has to prove that Zimmerman acted in self-defense.

MOO

Attorney: Zimmerman "stressed" about charges in Trayvon Martin case

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/13/justic...html?hpt=hp_t3

"I think he's stressed. He's certainly nervous," O'Mara said of Zimmerman. "He is frustrated he was charged at all."

On Thursday, a Seminole County judge found probable cause to move forward with the case and set a May 29 arraignment.
------

Also Friday, the judge assigned to the case, Jessica Recksiedler, said she would entertain motions to disqualify herself from the trial after discovering that her husband works with Mark NeJame, an attorney whom Zimmerman approached about representing him and has since widely commented on the case in the media. NeJame also is a CNN contributor.

O'Mara said the association might become "more and more problematic" given the intense scrutiny the case is receiving.

Recksiedler said she would prefer any such request be filed before Zimmerman's bond hearing.
---------

A member of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission, meanwhile, said Friday that he will ask the agency to investigate state "stand your ground" laws, such as Florida's, that allow people to use deadly force if they feel a reasonable threat of death or serious injury.

"The Trayvon Martin case has raised serious and disturbing questions over whether these statutes allow an unacceptable component of racial bias into our justice system," Commissioner Michael Yaki said. "Allegations that shooters like George Zimmerman may have 'profiled' their victims based on their race and that 'stand your ground laws' improperly protect race-motivated killings needs review."

More at link...

Frustrated!? Really!? Think George has any inkling about just how frustrated Trayvon's parents are and will be for the rest of their life. Losing a child is like living the rest of your life in a box that you cannot get out of. No matter what you do, you can't fix it. That's real frustration!

ETA: Poor George, thought he got off scott free!

I was suprised to say the least that Crump hired a publicist for this case.

Crump and the pro-bono publicist he brought on, Ryan Julison, crafted a media strategy to make the story national. Reuters reported first, then CBS News.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/14/2748102_p2/trayvons-parents-find-purpose.html#storylink=cpy

Why surprised? It took a great deal of p.r. to get enough national attention to Trayvon Martin's story that the Florida attorney general was forced to take action.

Based on the conversation the past thread or so I would say that it has been proven that is not the case. I remember reading numerous posts saying that the defense will be the one that has to prove that Zimmerman acted in self-defense.

MOO

Nope, that is not correct. Prosecution will have to prove at trial Zimmerman did not act in self-defense.

Agree @Adrienne. TM looks so cute and astute in those glasses. I'm on the brink of tears looking at that entire photo album.

<no blog links mod snip>

It was dead wrong to take his boy's life. :jail:

To kinda change the subject from the girlfriend, I just have to ask y'all......is Frank Taafe getting on everyone's nerves like he is mine? :banghead:

Every time he is on Nancy Grace, I just want to throttle him! lol Did y'all hear him the other night when he mentioned "myself and my constituents?" LOL His constituents? Nancy nailed him on that one, she said she didn't know he held a political office!

Why is that surprising? I think it's rather obvious the reason Zimmerman was arrested is because of public pressure.

I realize that. Now I know why it garnered the attention it did. I have never heard of a publicist being hired to promote a death before.

I realize that. Now I know why it garnered the attention it did. I have never heard of a publicist being hired to promote a death before.

Promote a death? :what:

IMO he was promoting an investigation into a death. An investigation that many felt had not been done.

Why is that surprising? I think it's rather obvious the reason Zimmerman was arrested is because of public pressure.

Yeah, they arrested the adult with the semi-automatic pistol who followed and killed the unarmed teenager. Must have been "public pressure."

No, the public pressure merely forced Florida authorities to treat the case as if the victim were a human being.

Promote a death? :what:

IMO he was promoting an investigation into a death. An investigation that many felt had not been done.

Even if the investigation was done, I am not so sure it should have resulted in an arrest and a charge. For prosecution to convict Zimmerman, they will have to prove Zimmerman did not act in self-defense beyond a reasonable doubt. And I don't see anything in that arrest affidavit that indicates prosecution got the evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman did not act in self-defense.

"The moment George Zimmerman fired that shot is the key question in this entire case," Hornsby said. "Did he reasonably believe he had to fire that shot to defend himself? And the fact (Corey) completely left that out, begs the question, does she not have any evidence to refute his version of the events?"
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_...-case-against-zimmerman-questioned/?tag=stack

The publicist and attorney were NEVER promoting a death, they were promoting the need for the justice system to be allowed to deal with this case as is required by law.

MOO

I think both claims are true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand-your-ground_law#Florida

There is a requirement in the statute that the State's Attorney show probable cause that an SYG defense does not apply. And I understand a special hearing is held to determine that. (Of course, "probable cause" is required in most jurisdictions to bring anybody to trial. Florida's SYG law just makes the process of showing probable cause a little more formal with regard to one element of a crime.)

If the State passes that hurdle, then SYG becomes an affirmative defense and I believe you are right that the burden of proof shifts to the defendant.

IANAL.

My parents could always find me in my teen years by following the phone cord from the wall to where I was hiding (closet/bathroom, etc) talking on the phone so my brother wouldn't eavesdrop. LOL Gosh I am old. :)
I remember talking to my first love in much the same way
He lived in another town and spent lots of my paper route money on phone bills and payphones

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Tapatalk

To kinda change the subject from the girlfriend, I just have to ask y'all......is Frank Taafe getting on everyone's nerves like he is mine? :banghead:

Every time he is on Nancy Grace, I just want to throttle him! lol Did y'all hear him the other night when he mentioned "myself and my constituents?" LOL His constituents? Nancy nailed him on that one, she said she didn't know he held a political office!

I've prayed every night for him to go on Lawrence O'Donnell's show. I'd be willing to pay for that if it were on pay-per-view. That would totally make my day!

~jmo~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member