student kills self after webcam spying UPDATE: Conviction Overturned

A judge sentenced him to 30 days in jail _ far less than the 10-year prison sentence he could have given him. He still faces three years of probation, plus more than $11,000 in fines and assessments, 300 hours of community service, and counseling.

Like other county jail inmates, Ravi automatically was given five days off for good behavior and five for working. Jail officials say he has not done anything to have those credits taken away.

Federal immigration authorities said Monday that Ravi will not be deported to his native India. He lived there until he was 5 years old and remains a citizen, though he is in the United States legally.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/na...cle_1b88f4c9-b17a-5d75-921d-bf75d8ed605a.html

A038339668B9A60FE28D677E8D8.jpg

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...in-webcam-spy-case-released-from-nj-jail?lite

Tyler Clementi's parent are on Rock Center NBC tonight at 10 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/27/tyler-cementi-parents-church_n_1833026.html

Tyler Clementi's Parents Leave Grace Church In Ridgeville, N.J., Over Anti-Gay Teachings

Joe and Jane Clementi finally had enough of the anti-gay views at Grace Church in Ridgewood, N.J.

The couple decided to leave their longtime church because they felt staying would indicate support for the church's teachings, according to The New York Times.

More . . .

Dharun Ravi apologizes for first time, will turn himself in Thursday

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/dharun_ravi_reports_to_jail.html

"I accept responsibility for and regret my thoughtless, insensitive, immature, stupid and childish choices that I made on September 19, 2010 and September 21, 2010," he said. "My behavior and actions, which at no time were motivated by hate, bigotry, prejudice or desire to hurt, humiliate or embarrass anyone, were nonetheless the wrong choices and decisions. I apologize to everyone affected by those choices."

Yeah, because I'm sure that no one would feel hurt, humilated OR embarrassed to have their sex life publicly broadcast to a bunch of people they know.

I really don't care how regretful he is, 20 days in jail is certainly not long enough for destroying someone elses privacy so completely. Even taking the suicide out of the equation, broadcasting what goes on in the bedroom between SOMEONE ELSE and their partner WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE is extremely wrong in any situation.

I understand that what Mr Ravi did is unacceptable, but given Mr Clementi's history of exhibitionism via a well known adult webcam site, it is hard to accept that Mr Ravi's disgusting violation of privacy was the main catalyst for the decision by Mr Clementi to end his life. From the evidence it is clear to me that there were other, larger factors which led to that decision and perhaps Mr Ravi's actions were the tipping point rather than the cause.

I understand that what Mr Ravi did is unacceptable, but given Mr Clementi's history of exhibitionism via a well known adult webcam site, it is hard to accept that Mr Ravi's disgusting violation of privacy was the main catalyst for the decision by Mr Clementi to end his life. From the evidence it is clear to me that there were other, larger factors which led to that decision and perhaps Mr Ravi's actions were the tipping point rather than the cause.

Ravi wasn't charged with contributing to Clementi's death, so I'm not sure how your comment is relevant. But at any rate, saying that Clementi couldn't have been devastated by Ravi's actions because of his "history of exhibitionism" (assuming that said "history" actually existed -- I can't recall seeing it mentioned by any reliable source) is like saying a rape victim can't really be devastated because she wasn't a virgin at the time of the assault.

Ravi wasn't charged with contributing to Clementi's death, so I'm not sure how your comment is relevant. But at any rate, saying that Clementi couldn't have been devastated by Ravi's actions because of his "history of exhibitionism" (assuming that said "history" actually existed -- I can't recall seeing it mentioned by any reliable source) is like saying a rape victim can't really be devastated because she wasn't a virgin at the time of the assault.

Or it was directly related to his mother who rejected him harshly.

As a gay man Tyler's death had a strong impact on me. As you are not a member of my community you don't know what exhibitionism I'm referring to, but it exists. I don't mention it to disparage Tyler, actually quite the opposite, I admire his courage and weep at his tragic senseless ultimate decision.

comment from Tyler's mother:

Joe and I are not legal experts so we cannot interpret the law. All we can do is try to understand and deal with are the facts as we know them now.

We know that Tyler’s private moments were stolen from him and used to humiliate him. His life was forever affected and the lives of those who knew and loved him have been forever changed.

In light of today’s decision, we will do what we encourage all people to do before they push that send button, and that is to pause and consider the implications of their message. Does it encourage and build someone up or does it destroy and harm another person?

Our world moves very fast which pushes us to be impulsively spontaneous and sometimes harsh.

Today’s decision shows us how much more work there is to be done, and will push us forward with stronger determination to create a kinder more empathic society where every person is valued and respected. We will continue to work even harder sharing Tyler’s story through the Tyler Clementi Foundation and our many partners.

http://nj1015.com/tyler-clementis-m...ea-after-convictions-nixed/?trackback=tsmclip

[...]
The ruling continued, “The prosecutor aggressively pressed this point to the jury in her eloquent closing argument. It is unreasonable to expect a rational juror to remain unaffected by this evidence.”

Ravi’s family praised the ruling, which tosses completely the four most serious felonies, all for bias intimidation.

Prosecutors can retry Ravi on the remaining 11 counts, which include invasion of privacy, tampering with evidence and hindering apprehension.

But Ravi, who has already served 20 days of 30-day sentence, would not face any further jail time.

Prosecutors also have 20 days to decide whether to appeal to New Jersey’s highest court.

“It’s far from over,” Ravi’s attorney Steven Altman told nj.com. “I’m extraordinarily pleased with the decision. I haven’t spoken with the Ravi family yet, but I can only imagine they’re pleased as well.”
[...]

:anguish:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

September 9, 2016
5:07 PM EDT UPDATED

New trial ordered in Rutgers webcam case

A new trial was ordered Friday for a former Rutgers University student whose roommate killed himself after being captured on a webcam kissing another man, with a New Jersey appeals court throwing out his 15-count conviction.

The three-judge panel dismissed four bias intimidation counts against Dharun Ravi because of a change in state law since Ravi's 2012 trial after the death of Tyler Clementi, who jumped off the George Washington Bridge.

The judges ordered a new trial on other counts including invasion of privacy, tampering with evidence and hindering apprehension because, they wrote, the evidence prosecutors used to prove the bias charges "tainted the jury's verdict on the remaining charges, depriving defendant of his constitutional right to a fair trial."

<SNIP>

Ravi faced up to 10 years in prison but was sentenced to 30 days in county jail plus three years' probation and community service. He ended up serving 20 days.

"The social environment that transformed a private act of sexual intimacy into a grotesque voyeuristic spectacle must be unequivocally condemned in the strongest possible way," the judges wrote. "The fact that this occurred in a university dormitory, housing first-year college students, only exacerbates our collective sense of disbelief and disorientation."

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/local-news/204019768-story

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back