GUILTY TX - Emma Thompson, 4, dies with STD, skull fracture, Spring, 27 June 2009

Thank you LCoast-Abby was buying super glue for a fractured skull that we know was not caused by a bathroom fall if you can believe that portion of sister's testimony-it happened in the kitchen and then Emma was "put to bed." "For a nap."

She could not be roused, so Abby either ran out and bought super-glue or picked it up on her way home???

Here is a thought-"Hey lucas call 911 and I will be there as soon as I can..." RIGHT, he was not supposed to be any where near minor children...so he couldnt do that.

This talented nurse did or did not recognize that her child had a fractured skull??? I am a SAHM who does NOT have a nursing background and I can figure out a fracture/concussion/abrasion. I dont care what kind of a fracture it is, with the exception of the kind that killed Liam Nieson's wife, it is pretty easy to figure out.

So, what is the evidence they are worried about? The crime scene was cleaned up before Emma was taken to the ER by her mom, right? Emma's sister may or may not be reliable as a witness? Abby may or may not have been home at the time of the injuries?

I thought I was OK with the explanations, but I really really need this spelled out for me.

I have to apologize I started the reply to Salem shortly after she posted, but fell asleep before I sent it, had I seem the other posts I may have tried to suck it up and keep it to myself - I am just having such a hard time with this case. I saw the article about the reason for the charges - I understand, Coe needs to be removed from the streets - my eyes see the words that that the DA put together - but my head and heart just don't want to accept it. A little 4 yr old baby was viciously raped, she was sexually and physically abused - she had a STD and her mother gave a song and dance to everyone in an attempt to cover the tracts of her kinky boy toy!!

According to LE Coe was jobless & homeless, he spent most of the time after Ben moved out/up to Emma's death (March - June) w/Abby - some days with his mother/sister. verified by cellphone pings Coe was at her house alone with Emma much of the time, while Abby was at work

Emma's daddy, Ben called Abby on the bruises/blisters in May, (Emma cried when she urinated) blisters on Emma's mouth, hands and thighs - in June he said "You take her to the doctor or I will! She took Emma on 6/8.

06/08 - Emma tells doctor Luke holds me tight, Emma has a fever, blisters & bruises. Doc suspects abuse.

06-11- Lesions +HSV2 Doc calls Abby and says she is filing a report with CPS.

6/17 - the 5 of them (Abby, Ben, Emma & sisters) talked to CPS together -

6-18-09 to 6-22-09, Ben had all three girls, he last saw Emma

6/22 Last time Ben saw Emma - said no bruises. Older bruises were fading (healing) and the blister on the back of the thigh was almost healed. It had a scab. The morning of June 22, 2009. She looked fine and walked OK.

At Abby's trial her atty said: "Her sister and her husband at the time had the exact same information that she did about everybody, including Luke, and they didn't voice any concerns either." (Ben claimed he did not know Coe was staying in the house with his wife and kids!) Abby paid off Coe's $40G debt/fine - keeping him out of jail.

re: 06/08 Dr. Sane testified on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning. Both days she state that Emma told her that "Luke holds me tight." (AY stated Luke was handyman, he playfully swung Emma and his own daughter by the wrists.)

6/26/09 - Shawn Walker - Coe's brother-in-law testified that Abby & Emma came to pick up Coe from his home around 1 p.m. on Friday, 6-26-09. Emma looked fine. Walked fine,

6/26 Emma walked OK, no visible bruises, blood on panty's - per neighbor

6/26 9PM begins the last 24 hours hours of Emma's life - Friday, 6-26-09 at 9PM to Saturday, 6-27-09/ 9PM EMS (911)

6/27 - noon time Coe & girls home - Abby out - per pings / Emma walked OK - early afternoon

6/27 2-3PM Susan (neighbor) was sitting in her garage she saw Abby pull into her driveway, she saw her exit car and carry 2 or 3 bags of what appeared to be groceries and go into her home.

Mid afternoon Emma ill - resting in MST BDRM while sisters out at pool - sis came in to use BR/ wanted to check on Emma found MST BR door shut/ locked - no Coe

Young went shopping left Emma and her two other daughters with Coe. Per testimony at Young's trial, when she came back from her second shopping trip, she fixed sloppy joe's and then checked on Emma.

the jury watched videotaped testimony from Thompson's 11-year-old sister. She says on the day Emma died, she heard a loud bang from the kitchen. The sister says she saw Coe with Emma who was bleeding from her head. Emma went to take a nap, but was later found unresponsive by their mother, Abigail Young.

The calls to Dr. Sane,were verified. Made from Young's home. made from Young's cell phone at 6:30, 6:31, 8:22 and 8:25. Dr. Sane called Young at 8:29PM the call lasted 9 min. Young was at home when Dr. Sane called her. Young made a call at 8:51pm/8:54PM she called 911 call it pinged near her home

The Randall's tape started at 7 p.m on 6-27-09, the night Emma died. The itemized list of Abigail Young's groceries was also shown - - - she bought some Krazy Glue. In the pictures from the crime scene (her home), there is the opened packaging from the Krazy Glue on the floor!

Per Nursing staff - Emma's hair was wet and clean with blood only around the first few inches from the scalp. It is clear someone washed her hair and cleaned her body up before attempting to remove her from the home. Abigail Young did attempt to Super Glue Emma's scalp.

At Young's trial, testimony indicated Young told the neighbors, when she came back from the hospital, that she bleached her bathroom before she attempted to take Emma to the Emergency Room.

Emma arrived at the ER in full arrest, (paramedics had tried for an hour to resuscitate at the car/911 call scene) They worked on Emma until she was officially pronounced dead. The RN said it was their professional medical obligation to do so even though Emma was "gone" -I want to know - where was Abby's professional/medical obligation?

- Jennifer, Young's neighbors testified to hearing Coe say "Mom, Emma is dead. She is gone!" in front of Christy's house on his cell phone. Coe's and Young's cell phone records, prove that Young did not call Coe before he made the phone call

CSI McElvaney described what he found at the house the AM after Emma died - blood spots and smears through the two story house.(I guess Abby cleans the way she "nurses" POORLY!) There was blood splatters throughout various parts of the house. When he first entered, there was a red blanket and pillows from Emma's room, along with what appeared to be a sheet. This was located in the entry near the front door. The DNA Semen Profile was consistent with Lucas Coe's DNA.

the defense attorney who gave the opening statement said there was no semen. Apparently he did not review all of the evidence, because on day 1 - an expert testified about DNA and there was semen on Emma's red blanket.

The ME stated blunt force abdominal trauma as Emma's cause of death. Emma's fatal injuries occurred 12 to 24 hours before her death.

Per autopsy Emma had a severed pancreas and fractured skull. Lower abdomen and pelvis: several bruises; thigh area: 10 or 12 bruises. Per Dr. Moore, those type of bruises are not normal for a child - abdominal area 24 to 25 bruises, chest 14 to 15 - All bruises occurred at same time frame - Per Dr. Moore, the vaginal injury cause lots of bleeding \ extreme pain, walk with legs out and hurt when urinating.

HVS2 - mouth, hand, vaginal area and butt. head injury - lg amt bleeding - stopped w/ pressure, bathing, shower, wet towel.

significant busted lip that separated, significant injuries in the mouth, inside the lower lip, lower lip has superficial cuts, Bruises on right side of the face going up to the hairline. Chin: several bruises. 2 abrasions on Emma's back, fingers were bruised.

There was a significant amount of blood in the abdomen. Some of the internal injuries were old - could have occurred up to one month prior to Emma's death. The above is only a hi-lite of Dr. Moore's testimony. Graphic details are not included.

Abby's neighbor 'Villareal' said Young told neighbors that Emma had fallen off the toilet in the bathroom, cracking her skull and splitting her lip. She described in detail how the girl suffered extensive bruising from CPR attempts. Young said extensive bruising on the girl's thighs was caused when she pulled Emma from the car, once she passed out.

"The most surprising thing I saw was her reaction when officers were getting ready to enter her house, "She seemed nervous. She tried to stall them and said she said she didn't have a key."

Villareal said Young went out of her way to mention that Coe was good to her and her girls. "In front of everyone, she was telling her oldest daughter that her boyfriend never hurt any of you girls and that he was nice to everybody," he said. "It was like she was coaching her."

She told one group one thing and then told another group of neighbors a totally different story," he said. "She was cool, calm and collected. She seemed kind of normal for someone who just lost a child."

After Emma's death - the Young's didn't lose custody of the girls until after hearing in August 2009!

Dr. Moore said she is well informed about the facts of Emma's case. Records regarding this case were provided to her by A. J. Kelly, Lead Investigator/Detective, Harris County Sheriff's Office.

[just thinking out out loud here... Let's say everything happened the same way - recently separated woman moves her loser/con boyfriend in with her kids - dad & doc see signs of abuse - CPS is called (mom lies) and they fail to remove baby, a week later - baby in care of mother and bf dies - just a horrifically beaten/abused baby - whose mother lied - all things being equal - except there was no rape (no STD, blisters etc) - are we to conclude these two adults would not be charged with her death?]

I totally and 1000000000% agree that both of the POSs should have been charged with murder in the 1st degree! Premeditated, deliberate and torturous. They should fry.

I'm only speculating about why the DA did not go for Murder 1. That's all I can do. Maybe when the trial is over and the is convicted, the DA will explain why they did not go for Murder 1. :(

I feel your pain, I feel Emma's pain and it makes my heart very sad!

Salem

So it sounds like closing arguments are scheduled for 9:30 a.m. tomorrow morning and then the case goes to the jury.

I'm betting we have a verdict by 3:00 p.m. depending on how long the closing arguments take. If the jury has the case by noon, a verdict should be reached by 3:00. The defense was that the injuries were caused by a straddle fall (I don't even know what that is) and based on the testimony that has been recounted, all I can say is that the defense must think the jury is really blind.

Salem

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7678547

Does anyone know if there's a transcript of Abby's trial posted anywhere?

Believe - Great questions ... I'd love to know more details regarding the timeline of the evening as well.

I read it is going to be available through the county website, at no charge - usually you can buy them. I haven't looked yet, I wondered if they were just waiting til after Coe's trial is finished to release it...

When I get a chance I'll take a look-see.

Salem the ME stated blunt force abdominal trauma was Emma's cause of death. Emma's fatal injuries occurred 12 to 24 hours before her death.

While there was no DNA from Coe on Emma, her red blanket had sperm on it, that was Coe's -

I dont care what the verdict is-it wont be enough. Not nearly enough, not close. This is a DP case-I am not just being reactionary. This is special circumstances with a serial offender.

The DA's office is looking weak. Like they do not trust or believe in their own case.

Shame is not enough for everyone who failed this child. It is extremely representive of how intimidated everyone was by Abby-had I seen bruises or blistering on that little one I would have absolutely taken her to be evaluated right away. No chances, no ultimatums giving bio mom a month to get it done. Who cares whether or lucas was living in the home or not? He clearly the xfactor. Too little too late-what an incredible burden for those left behind.

I feel for everyone one associated with this case-the emergency personnel who never had a proper chance to save her, who had to bear witness to her injuries, for LE who had to witness the depths of this depravity, to the children who witnessed the torture this baby was experiencing for months.

My sympathy is waning for those who could have prevented this and didnt, as well as those who might have gone for a measure of justice but opted for a safety net. :(

As for the 12-24 hours? I dont know about that... I just dont see the timeline being that far back.

I wonder if the DA's office wants him behind bars, hopefully forever, so they can build a stronger murder case against him. I also think that momster will have a VERY hard time in prison and may turn states evidence against him. Especially if she is assaulted in prison.

Ihave stated this before, but I can NOT understand why parents abuse, or allow abuse to one child in a family? What is it about these monsters that they can do this? I appreciate all of you putting information on the thread for us. I just hope the jury puts away Coe FOREVER!

As for the 12-24 hours? I dont know about that... I just dont see the timeline being that far back.

It is interesting that the ME appeared to testify that some of Emma's internal injuries were older, like maybe a month old? So, in my opinion, this baby was being tortured.

On another note - I agree the DA's look weak. Totally agree.

I did not follow AY's case (I refuse to give this ????? a name). I'm wondering if the DA backed off murder charges for Coe because AY was convicted on a lesser charge? From what I'm reading, I understand that the jury didn't convict her on the most serious charges.

I'll have to go back and see if I can figure out what her original charges were and what she was convicted for.

Salem

I am waiting, practically holding my breath, for a verdict here and court hasn't even opened, let alone started yet.

I always found the statement by Coe's original Atty of record very interesting:

Coe's attorney says there is no evidence that connects his client to the sexual assault.

“I saw nothing in the file that would indicate how he could have perpetuated the crime he was indicted for,” said Bert Steinmann, Coe's attorney. “I am clueless as to how they are connecting him with committing the sexual assault.”

Statement analysis is something I know very little about - but even I see that Mr Steinmann left out a very important word or two - innocent or not guilty. He made made three remarks, yet never said "He didn't do it!" Oh yeah; then he quit!

Re: defense for Lucas Coe - expert witness - Coe's atty dumped Emma's blanket, pillow and sheet on the evidence table yesterday - saying this is all they have and there is no blood or connection to Coe.

It appears the defense did not share all the evidence with their own paid witness.

George is involved in the Innocence Project in Louisiana.

George said he reviewed all of the evidence but did not know samples of blood which was Emma's was in the Game Room, Bathroom (upstairs), toilet seat, 2 places on door, Top Seat in entry, blanket with Lucas Coe's semen, Emma's blood and Lucas Coe's DNA found in small dot of blood mixture in bathroom, etc.

We have heard about not enough evidence in this case - we have heard about other cases where there was but ONE tiny piece of DNA that got a conviction

Well here it is... they found a spot that contained Emma's blood and Coe's DNA in the bathroom. (After the gifted nurse used bleach to remove the evidence) If I were the prosecution in this case I would have been shouting this from the rooftop - But instead they let it be brought out by the defense...

The good thing about it was it refutes whatever the defense has to say about Coe not being involved... The bad thing IMO is that it proves the state did a very poor job with this case, beginning with Abby Young!

--------------------

The original charge was Felony Injury to a Child - rape was added after the autopsy proved the assault.

Coe and Young each faced five to 99 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000 on the injury to a child charges.

Coe faced an additional 25 years to life - with no early parole, for the first-degree felony charge of Aggravated Sexual Assault of a child under 6 yrs.

Salem: Re Straddle injury - a straddle injury occurs when (in this case) a girl sits on or falls on an object - for instance when I was 5ish I decided to take my older brother's much too big bicycle for a ride. I propped it to climb on and then took off - with legs too short to sit and reach, I was stuck standing on the pedals, straddling the bar - this worked (poorly) until I hit a parked car and came down hard on the that bar, 45 yrs later I still remember that it HURT! I had a small cut and a good size bruise but no real "injury" and no lasting damage and obviously there was no penetration.

This is how the defense wants the jury (people) to believe Emma had such a horrific tear. I would like to know what sort of object (aside from the obvious) AY had in her house that would cause the type of injury Emma received and what amount of force would be required to do the damage!

Did she jump off the roof and land on a butchers knife? I cannot believe Aside from Coe raping her, that there is any other way this baby was so very badly hurt. And when we are talking about a four year old (three year old when this started) - torture is the only word that applies.

update from Ann at the Courthouse posted at 9:35 pacific time (45 minutes ago):

The prosecution has completed their closing argument and the case has been turned over to the jury.......

Justice is coming, sweet Emma......

I should have been more specific...while I realize she had older, healing injuries, I do not believe the severed pancreas, tearing, and head fracture as well as split lip happened 12-24 hours before she died.

If Abby was buying super-glue at 843PM+ or -, it was not for an injury that old.

Thanks for the update LCoast. I have been on pins and needles all day. I can't see how they could possibly fail to find him guilty, so therefore I am a wreck that I'm being too optimistic. Emma must have justice!

respectfully snipped

Originally Posted by Salem
I did not follow AY's case (I refuse to give this ????? a name). I'm wondering if the DA backed off murder charges for Coe because AY was convicted on a lesser charge? From what I'm reading, I understand that the jury didn't convict her on the most serious charges.

I think something caused the state to deliberately softball the part AY played in the death of her daughter. I don't think they charged her as they should have and then they couldn't throw the book at Coe - without his attorney going nuts about the difference in the charges...

Had they charged her as an accessory - after coming home and finding Emma unconscious, she called the doctor (6:30) - then she went back out to the store and bought glue (7:00) - they must have bathed her (although I don't remember hearing that in her trial) called the doctor back (8:30) then left to take Emma to the "ER" (right!) - AFTER 9PM!!

The first person on the scene was a nurse coming home from work - she found Emma laid out on the hood of AY's car - she believed Emma had passed away but did CPR anyway. She said Emma never inhaled and her eyes were rolled back in her head. (this came out at Coe's trial - we didn't hear this before!)

AY left with Emma - then Coe is heard on the cell phone telling someone "Emma is dead, mom - She's gone"

They conspired to clean up and destroy evidence! They are equally responsible for the death of little Emma - yet neither is charged!!

I am going with influence peddling in AY's case....just a theory. After all, didnt Abby's mom make sure she headed back to work at a hospital shortly after Emma died, or do I have the wrong end of the stick? Once someone complained, Abby left and worked at a flower shop. Do I have that correct?

nothing yet? I am so grieved about this, no matter what it wont be enough but let it be something anyways....anyone got a twitter that's updating?

LCOAST, I am holding my breath.

Thank You!! I have been too!

:grouphug: I'm the only one home, but I know I'm not sitting vigil alone!

-----------

I've been searching the Harris Co Court records as a distraction - so far I've only found her appeal and the history of her actions without the transcripts but, not ready to quit! If they are there I will find them!

------------

From the defense:

Emma had 70 bruises on her body when she died, some of those bruises may have actually come from when doctors and nurses were performing CPR on Baby Emma.*

The defense has asked jurors not to 'be herded like sheep into a guilty verdict.' They have asked for jurors' courage, stamina and an open mind.

"They're going to try to overwhelm you with emotions," said defense attorney Rick DeToto. "They're going to try to take away your common sense and your judgment with emotions."

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7679464

* If she never regained a heartbeat the bruises were not caused by resuscitation attempts!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back