GUILTY AR - Van Massingill, 64, killed in hit & run, Conway County, 25 March 2001

BLACKWELL, Ark. (AP) - Human skeletal remains have been found in the Ed Gordon Wildlife Refuge in Conway County

http://www.fox16.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=EF418C18-D1C4-4F38-9412-405A17727B28

Also:
http://www.fox16.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=E3DD86AA-2BAD-4CBE-B88F-8D4870EA715F

But not a lot of additional info...

JUJ

The news links are dead but a forum post is saying that the police were attempting to determine if the remains were Van Massingill, a retired chicken farmer from Hattieville. A man had confessed to killing him in a truck accident while driving high on meth.

http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/ar/t180.htm

I can't find anything for a Van Massingill that is in relation to this body found was ever confirmed or ruled out to be Mr. Massingill, anyone?

Van Massingill is listed as deceased in the Social Security Death Index, but it is not clear whether he was identified as that UID or whether the family had him declared dead after the necessary period of time:

MASSINGILL, VAN 10 Dec 1936 25 Mar 2001 (V) 64 72063 (Hattieville, Conway, AR)

Van Massingill is listed as deceased in the Social Security Death Index, but it is not clear whether he was identified as that UID or whether the family had him declared dead after the necessary period of time:

MASSINGILL, VAN 10 Dec 1936 25 Mar 2001 (V) 64 72063 (Hattieville, Conway, AR)

I saw that too. Hard to determine if they are the same Van Massingill as the remains found were in 2006 and the SSDI lists a death year of 2001. I'm thinking might be another family member in VA with the same name.

Cubby, if you look at the link posted by Donjeta, this was part of the story:

According to the sheriff’s office, Holyfield wrote in his 2004 confession that he and a friend were driving around the county in March 2001 and were high on methamphetamine when he struck Massingill, who was walking along a road toward his home.

I thought he might have had to be declared dead before the body was found (if it's him) because the porchlight quote said that Holyfield was already serving a sentence for manslaughter at the time. Can you sentence someone for killing a person who is still considered legally alive?

Cubby, if you look at the link posted by Donjeta, this was part of the story:

According to the sheriff’s office, Holyfield wrote in his 2004 confession that he and a friend were driving around the county in March 2001 and were high on methamphetamine when he struck Massingill, who was walking along a road toward his home.

That makes sense webrocket. I think there is enough there to presume the dod would have been based on the confession rather than when the body was found. Especially since these remains don't appear on any uid sites. I'm going to go ahead and mark this one id'd....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back