Sting Ray kills women in FL Keys

Amraann

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-032008-stingray-deathmar21,0,3766675.story

MARATHON, Fla. - A 55-year-old woman from Michigan died Thursday in a freak accident in which she was struck by a 75-pound spotted eagle ray that jumped out of the Atlantic Ocean just off the shore of Key Colony Beach near Marathon.

This is like sooo wear I live! I see these things all over the ocean.. Weird!!

I should edit this for clarity.... The woman was most likely knocked over and that is what killed her as no barb marks were found.

Amra -

Is it normal for them to do that - IE is there a large population of them in your area? That sounds like it'd be awesome to witness. My experience w/ seeing them have been the "little" ones in personal aquariums or at the zoo aquarium LOL

This was a totally freak thing... They are guessing she hit her head when the Stingray jumped onto the boat.

I think rarely but not unheard of stingrays do wind up in boats but rarely does someone die from it..

Oh my. I've stayed many a weekend at my mother's friend's condo at Key Colony Beach. I had a key for the condo. It was my peacefull getaway from my ex before my divorce. How awful for her.

Very sad story. Here they were out for a nice day and this freak situation happens. I feel real bad for her sister and her elderly parents also to see this happen to their loved one.

How very sad! Do you think the stingray was jumping out of the water to get away from a shark?

This was a totally freak thing... They are guessing she hit her head when the Stingray jumped onto the boat.

I think rarely but not unheard of stingrays do wind up in boats but rarely does someone die from it..

Wow - that's quite a way to go. This is normal behavior for these rays - but, like you say, it is rare for anyone to get harmed.

How very sad! Do you think the stingray was jumping out of the water to get away from a shark?

Hi nanandjim. The story said they are capable of flying clear out of the water when being pursued, so I wonder if it was being pursued and what was after it also.

Does anyone know if they do this only when being pursued?

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in south Florida not far from the keys . My husband is a diver and has seen these rays many times. He thinks that is is possible the ray was pursuing a school of fish and jumped when he came up on the boat. I don't know about you guys but I love the sights an sounds of the ocean. That being said though I do not swim anyplace where I become a part of the food chain.

And that is why, my friends, after the age of 50, one should not sunbathe. Divine intervention.

Seriously, I'm beginning to think that sting rays are more dangerous than food from China.

And that is why, my friends, after the age of 50, one should not sunbathe. Divine intervention.

Seriously, I'm beginning to think that sting rays are more dangerous than food from China.

Ohhhhh that's poopy

Wow - that's quite a way to go. This is normal behavior for these rays - but, like you say, it is rare for anyone to get harmed.

Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray.

Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray.

Yes, he was but it was a different type and it was really umm like.. his own fault ..
The Sting ray did not attack him (as I have heard some do in australia)
In steve's case He just spooked a sting ray .. wrong place, wrong time

Yes, he was but it was a different type and it was really umm like.. his own fault ..
The Sting ray did not attack him (as I have heard some do in australia)
In steve's case He just spooked a sting ray .. wrong place, wrong time
.....Our rays are the same as yours Am .....they dont attack and Steves death was a freak accident like the poor lady in this story...we have enough tourist deterring bities down here already without adding the stingo to the list:)

I think the difference between this incident and Steve Irwin is location. Steve was in the water when he was stuck with the barb and this lady was in the darn boat!

I don't think she was struck by the barb, right? I think when the ray landed on her she fell backward, struck her head and that is what killed her...wasn't she with her kids though?? OMG, wow...freak is right...And in Steve's case it was where the barb pierced him...that was amazing btw...my recollection is that if he hadn't pulled it out he might have lived, but come on...what would your instinct be if you were pierced in the chest?

I loved Steve Irwin, although I didn't always agree with his actions.

.....Our rays are the same as yours Am .....they dont attack and Steves death was a freak accident like the poor lady in this story...we have enough tourist deterring bities down here already without adding the stingo to the list:)

Really?? My other friend from AU was just telling me they do.

Although I agree Steve was an accident I meant he was seeking to engage with the creature. I think that opens up more risks.

I don't think she was struck by the barb, right? I think when the ray landed on her she fell backward, struck her head and that is what killed her...wasn't she with her kids though?? OMG, wow...freak is right...And in Steve's case it was where the barb pierced him...that was amazing btw...my recollection is that if he hadn't pulled it out he might have lived, but come on...what would your instinct be if you were pierced in the chest?

I loved Steve Irwin, although I didn't always agree with his actions.

I know the news reported that may have been the case .. but we have a friend who is a surgeon and he disagreed based on where the barb pierced him, our friend said that even if a surgeon and equipment was right there he would have maybe had a 10 % chance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back