LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably wouldn't believe how awful it is to break down on that bridge! If someone wrecks or stalls ahead of you, and they can't manage to pull over to the shoulder, the whole bridge is shut down in that direction, usually by traffic that just has to come to a complete halt after the wreck. Even if you manage to pull over to the shoulder (and not all areas have shoulders) you are on a shoulder that is barely as wide as your car, so you are incredibly close to cars and trucks flying by.....don't stick your head out the window, that's some good advice.

A tow truck usually has to come from the opposite direction---and this is a divided highway, with a big drop down to open water or swamp land in between. Turnarounds have been added, but they are blockaded closed and can only be opened by police, so you have to wait for LE and the tow truck to show up, open the turnaround,and wait more time for them to get to you, hook you up and tow you out of there. It literally can take HOURS.

I personally know of two car stalls which resulted in the deaths of all the occupants of the vehicles when they were slammed into by eighteen wheelers traveling at well over the speed limit.

So there is a shoulder on that bridge? Though very narrow. But at 2 215 am in the morning it is conceivable that someone could park there for no more than 10 15 seconds to get out and toss the bike and then leave in a hurry. What is your opinion on that?

And thank you for the details, I could see everything well as you described it to us.

I'm sorry but I don't know the post you're referring. Would you quote it or post the page number for me so that I can see it? Thanks
Right above yours, #1337. She hasn't posted in a long while, just wondering what she meant.

Hi Mrs Bean, you're the first person I've ever welcomed but I don't know how to do the smileys well. We need fresh eyes & heads here.

So there is a shoulder on that bridge? Though very narrow. But at 2 215 am in the morning it is conceivable that someone could park there for no more than 10 15 seconds to get out and toss the bike and then leave in a hurry. What is your opinion on that?

And thank you for the details, I could see everything well as you described it to us.
Think it would take longer than that, & Friday night is big night for caravans of car from car sales to Mexico. Heavy traffic on both sides. I would take one heck of an ice-cold person w/ nerves of steel to do it in the dark.

]
Juju, what do you think of fairest' earlier post, Mrs B caught it, I forgot to respond. Not sure she expected me to since I was a bit testy w/ her once...what seems like sooo long ago?
It's an odd, quick post, no posting later??
:seeya:
Im not Juju but....
I am thinking that she said it was lonesome in here because there aren't alot of people here, like there was a while ago. If that is the post you are referring to.:waitasec:

I have been lurking for weeks. I keep waiting to hear something...anything... Keep going back to the local thing...people talk too much here. Everybody is all up in everybody's business. I find it unbelievable that somebody hasn't blabbed enough to head this investigation in a direction...other than in a circle or just plain stalled. :banghead:

Right above yours, #1337. She hasn't posted in a long while, just wondering what she meant.

Hi Mrs Bean, you're the first person I've ever welcomed but I don't know how to do the smileys well. We need fresh eyes & heads here.

Ok, I just took it to mean the boards were quiet.

Sorry A.C.I, could you elaborate? What is the civil rights issue and what methods do you speak of?

I know where I am it is one of the hot topics regarding civil rights and/or constitutional issues. The constitutional issues can be complex and rather boring, but parts of it center on the right to privacy. A quick story about red light cameras, here they are not supposed to film the driver, only the vehicle and plates. It wasn't always that way. As the story goes, the cameras used to film the occupants too when issuing the tickets until one of the politicians that pushed for the cameras was filmed. The problems arose when the other occupant also filmed turned out to be his mistress.:what: Go figure, all of a sudden both sides of the argument agree that there are constitutional issues and the cameras no longer film the occupants (supposedly). Could be urban myth like many stories, but suffice it to say there are many attorneys that are challenging the constitutionality of many of these cameras based on what they are doing, much less with what they might be doing.

If you look at Google maps and type in Lafayette, go to the right. You'll see Sherburne National Forest at Exit 127. That's the exit and the bike was found in the water near the highway supports.

Thank you for mentioning that. I am looking at it now.
And that is the first exit after leaving Lafayette yes?...Seems way to risky.

If someone was night fishing around there at the time they could have seen the activity....So I ask myself which is the quickest way to get rid of the bike especially if I have the girl with me...Take that exit, and then go up north a little, then drive down or back down to the edge of the water and toss it in. Or do I stop for 10 seconds or less on the bridge and toss it in?

I am going to follow that map to the other exists going east on I10 towards Baton Rouge to see the terrain. If they discarded other evidence along the route at the other exits, it would be the same way. Take the exit dump it and get back on I10 and get out of the area fast.

Attached screenshot of Whiskey Bay bridge. No shoulder basically.

Attachments

• whiskey bay bridge.jpg
    whiskey bay bridge.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 55

If someone was night fishing around there at the time they could have seen the activity....So I ask myself which is the quickest way to get rid of the bike especially if I have the girl with me...Take that exit, and then go up north a little, then drive down or back down to the edge of the water and toss it in. Or do I stop for 10 seconds or less on the bridge and toss it in?

I am going to follow that map to the other exists going east on I10 towards Baton Rouge to see the terrain. If they discarded other evidence along the route at the other exits, it would be the same way. Take the exit dump it and get back on I10 and get out of the area fast.

No, it's the second exit. The first is exit 121.

I have been lurking for weeks. I keep waiting to hear something...anything... Keep going back to the local thing...people talk too much here. Everybody is all up in everybody's business. I find it unbelievable that somebody hasn't blabbed enough to head this investigation in a direction...other than in a circle or just plain stalled. :banghead:

From an outsider's perspective, the problem might be that there is so much blabbing. If I had to guess (and hope), the right leads, the right "blabbing" has been done. The problem is, not knowing which "blabbing" is the right one and eliminating all of the other "blabbing" until you do get to the right one. But with so much of it, it means there's that much more to eliminate. After all, if they don't eliminate it, I can about guarantee a defense attorney will use it at trial to cast doubt on his client's guilt. Hopefully that is what LE is doing now, after all that is part of their job.

[/b]
Knock knock LE???:banghead: It is 2012! NOT 1950!!!
This is probably a thought that will drop DEAD in the water! (no pun intended!) WHY? WHY? WHY? In this "digital age" is LE still using telephones, answering machines and phone tag? :maddening:
LE should be stetting up a website for each case of missing people so we the public can give tips to the investigators. They could post 1 or 2 people to evaluate what tips are worth looking into and which are not! All they would have to do is print out the post and hand it off to the investigators to then pursue the lead.
(Like an e-mail)... nothing that would be seen by anyone other than the department... Yeah they should keep the phone tip line as well... but it sure sounds like it might expedite the process of gathering info! ~ maybe not...:truce:
I know changing things takes work, but in light of cutbacks it just seems more effective to me!

How hard would it really be to... s l o w d o w n... and toss "whatever" from a moving truck pickup bed or a mini-van from the sliding side door?
maybe too much traffic and risky due to another vehicle witnessing it... :dunno:

I agree, the process of tip processing by many LEAs is antiquated; “a train wreck in slow motion”..& is not an issue that cropped up since Mickey Schunick's tragedy. Crime isn't 9 to 5 M-F.. Public Safety is 24/7 365..

http://jebbowdoin.wordpress.com/201...software-system-called-outdated-inadequate-2/

2010 The Associated Press.

WASHINGTON — A $170 million computer overhaul intended to give FBI agents and analysts an instantaneous and paperless way to manage criminal and terrorism cases is headed back to the drawing board, probably at a much steeper cost to taxpayers.

The FBI is hoping to salvage some parts of the project, known as Virtual Case File. But officials acknowledged Thursday that it is possible the entire system, designed by Science Applications International Corp. of San Diego, is so inadequate and outdated that one will have to be built from scratch.

<modsnip>

If you're local, there are hundreds of other places, not so risky. Much easier for a night drop. The fact that it's WB makes me think local playing w/ people. Someone else would find it far too difficult at night, uncertain terrain, possibility of being hit by a truck going over 60 like they're not supposed to..JMO

My only comment about the DWTIQ pic and the Mickey on bike pic is that I have seen all these pics, as most of you have, for many threads now. I was always pretty good at those 'magic eye' pictures that you saw in every mall several years ago, but I just DON'T see anything resembling Mickey and/or her bike under the truck, and showing it to me every few threads and telling me to look harder just isn't cutting it for me. I see what I see and you see what you see. I'm good with that. But please don't bring it back around in a couple days and implore me to look again....we all know where the pics can be found if we want to examine them further, and we can direct newbies to them...we dont need to see them pop up here every couple days...JMO

:clap:

??? Please explain...??

At whatever time I posted that there were two members on this thread and like 5 guests. (Don't remember how many exactly) its pretty obvious people are losing interest. It is a lot different than earlier on when everytime I'd get on I'd have pages and pages to read through. Sometimes Wed go through a whole thread per day. There were always lots of people signed in with lots to say.....now not so much. And I find it odd that the guests outnumbered members at the time when I made my post.
Moo

Allusonz, 'luv your optimism'..

Seriously have you ever seen LE release the results of DNA prior to an arrest?

They may tell you that they are looking for a specific individual because they got a hit in codis but they won't tell you how they got the DNA.

Have you ever seen LE disclose the type and manner of fibers, tire tracks, paint types prior to an arrest?

They may state that they believe the person to be caucasion based on the DNA profile result they got but they don't tell you how they know.

They may state we are looking for a certain type of vehicle/s based on the paint analysis. Maybe even the approximate year but they won't tell you how they determined it.

They may ask you to look for anyone that has a specific type of clothing based on fiber analysis but they won't tell you how they know to look for that.

No, it's the second exit. The first is exit 121.

Thank you for that information.

The first exit may have been to close to the abduction site. So he took the one after that .....27 30 miles further east to drop off the bike. Makes sense.......Especially with it being so dark around the bridge . I have watched the cams from the bridge late at night, and still do. To see how often traffic comes by and so forth. But very dark.

Would you know if the first exit you mentioned is as dark at night as it it on the bridge? If there is more light at the first exit that would explain why he chose the second exit? Just curious. Thank you again.

They may state other info but they will not tell you DNA results, or any other forensic results regarding fibers, paint etc.

The only time you will hear that is at trial.

It is not even up for debate they simply can't release that info....

Criminals have a right to a fair trial. Until a suspect is found and it is released to the defense depending on the laws like in Florida you might get the release of some info but not the best info.

In Sierra's case, LE has revealed some info about their evidence and suspect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj