Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y'all,

Been doing a little research...reviewing what all has been said regarding the sunglasses. Trying to figure out a more specific location for where those glasses were found. I've debated emailing the woman who found the glasses...lol...but I better not get myself in trouble!
She says that she and her husband were camping and went into the woods for some firewood. She found the glasses in the woods and she believes they were too far from the riverbank to have washed ashore. I've taken that into account, but I've also taken into account that several news reports over the past year have talked about a rise in water levels for the santee river.
Anyway, the various articles that discuss the find say, collectively, that the glasses were found in the santee delta, on the western side, and near North Santee River. That area spans thousands of miles....and most of it is nothing but woods and river. But the river narrows at points and winds severely at points, which makes me believe it's possible to pinpoint one possible area of focus.
I'm hoping to be able to find one possible area of focus for the phone as well...so I can see if there are any overlapping areas or obvious areas of population, or even boat ramps where it would be easy to dump something and leave unnoticed. Because the phone remained working until Sunday, I'm thinking that it is NOT in the water. Because of the previous searches, I'm also thinking that it is NOT in the same area as the sunglasses are located. Because LE has stated that 'everything keeps coming back to the N Santee area,' I feel more confident that the glasses do in fact belong to Brittanee. If you don't believe they were hers, please disregard this post. For those unfamiliar with the area, here's a GREAT map of the santee delta, showing the areas it encompasses. It's several HUGE swaths of land surrounding the santee river. The west side of the delta is marked on this first map, although it does extend a bit further west than is noted in the photo.
The second map is just a google map of the same area...but slightly further north-west....to show the closest inhabited area--and the closest roadways--that *could* have been used by the perps. The inhabited area is actually on the north side of river, upriver and across the river from where the glasses were found. This is primarily guessing...not trying to say my thoughts are the 'right' ones....just putting it out there as a location that would make sense based on the river flow, the location of the glasses, and the twists and turns of the river. IMHO.
http://www.crbo.net/media/SantDelt_WMA-8x6.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&s...0503,-79.403343&spn=0.05198,0.148315&t=h&z=13

Hmm...while I was looking for something else, I ran across this: An original article where Dawn is quoted as saying that Brittanee sent a text to a friend saying that she was headed to see another friend at a hotel. The timing is wrong...and I'm wondering if Dawn is confusing the trip to PB's room....but I'd always heard that the 'other hotel room' visit was a rumor that was unsubstantiated. Wonder if this was just TOLD to Dawn or if Dawn/LE actually saw the text. It would be nice to know if Brittanee made any other 'friends' while she was down there. http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/loca...e/search_for_missing_ny_teen_continues/46665/

Hmm...while I was looking for something else, I ran across this: An original article where Dawn is quoted as saying that Brittanee sent a text to a friend saying that she was headed to see another friend at a hotel. The timing is wrong...and I'm wondering if Dawn is confusing the trip to PB's room....but I'd always heard that the 'other hotel room' visit was a rumor that was unsubstantiated. Wonder if this was just TOLD to Dawn or if Dawn/LE actually saw the text. It would be nice to know if Brittanee made any other 'friends' while she was down there. http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/loca...e/search_for_missing_ny_teen_continues/46665/

I remember seeing this a long time ago and it stuck out to me like a sore thumb. I asked about it more than once and the best I got was the text didn't happen. It is very very frustrating. With the recent article saying her last text was at 8:58PM, we have this text and the text going to Grieco assuring him she was okay, that we cannot account for.

This is where not having a chronological timeline really hurts. I think we have all realized we have to filter which articles we believe to be valid. I try to stick to the official police reports anymore, or direct police quotes.

Ok, so I found out some info....hope it's good. Turns out, I'm the only loser that has to stay at home on Friday nights based on the fact that I'm the only one posting!! Can't wait for my dear husband to get back home!!

Anyway, remember it was said that there was a tip back in december that 'reignited' the case. That tip was NOT the sunglasses, according to LE. Well, I found this article that says that the December tip led LE to a specific area...the same exact area I posted above. It led them to a 25ft dock that is in the N Santee Community. There, they brought cadavar dogs that appeared to hit on something at the dock. They didn't find any conclusive evidence there, but the article is very detailed and interesting...and I hadn't seen it before: http://www.midlandsconnect.com/news/story.aspx?id=386771
So, with that said, I began looking for a 25ft dock sitting out in the water along N Santee River. Couldn't find any public docks except the "Pole Yard Landing". It's located right next to HWY 17, right across from Santee Delta West, where the sunglasses were found. Here's a photo of the boat landing: http://www.scgreatoutdoors.com/park-poleyardpublicboatlanding.html
Of course, that brought me to the obvious question of IF it was a public boat ramp and not a private one. I couldn't see any other obvious boat landings that were 25 ft long, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. There are a couple of nice houses and a plantation home in this area, but most of the houses are mobile homes and around 50,000. Here's one home for sale just 3 minutes from the boat ramp mentioned above. It has a different view of that boat ramp as one of it's photos...just to get a feel for the area, FWIW http://www.trulia.com/property/photos/41190646-321-Earl-Rd-Georgetown-SC-29440

Ok, so I found out some info....hope it's good. Turns out, I'm the only loser that has to stay at home on Friday nights based on the fact that I'm the only one posting!! Can't wait for my dear husband to get back home!!

Anyway, remember it was said that there was a tip back in december that 'reignited' the case. That tip was NOT the sunglasses, according to LE. Well, I found this article that says that the December tip led LE to a specific area...the same exact area I posted above. It led them to a 25ft dock that is in the N Santee Community. There, they brought cadavar dogs that appeared to hit on something at the dock. They didn't find any conclusive evidence there, but the article is very detailed and interesting...and I hadn't seen it before: http://www.midlandsconnect.com/news/story.aspx?id=386771
So, with that said, I began looking for a 25ft dock sitting out in the water along N Santee River. Couldn't find any public docks except the "Pole Yard Landing". It's located right next to HWY 17, right across from Santee Delta West, where the sunglasses were found. Here's a photo of the boat landing: http://www.scgreatoutdoors.com/park-poleyardpublicboatlanding.html
Of course, that brought me to the obvious question of IF it was a public boat ramp and not a private one. I couldn't see any other obvious boat landings that were 25 ft long, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. There are a couple of nice houses and a plantation home in this area, but most of the houses are mobile homes and around 50,000. Here's one home for sale just 3 minutes from the boat ramp mentioned above. It has a different view of that boat ramp as one of it's photos...just to get a feel for the area, FWIW http://www.trulia.com/property/photos/41190646-321-Earl-Rd-Georgetown-SC-29440

That fills in a lot of pieces of the police statements, Krista. I can only conclude that it points to the tip being that Brittanee was dumped in the river from this dock.

The pier being right next to HWY 17 is what we would expect. Can you elaborate on what you were saying about where the sunglasses being found in conjunction with this pier? I take it would be consistent with washing downstream from the pier.

I had taken a look at links about this area and was unclear about actual flow of water. But as you mentioned I would not be surprised at the flooding and the sunglasses being deposited inland a bit.

There has been lots of mention of a crime scene, and this appears to be it.

thanks for the sleuthing.

rd

Last post for tonight...here's another house for sale at the end of the road in that same area. It's 122 acres, 3 separate houses all owned by the same property owner, a very long boat dock with cover, extremely private. Look at photos 5 and 6 for the boat dock. The only reason I posted this one is because LLLindsayy and I were discussing the probability that Brittanee was killed sometime that evening because they wouldn't have any further use for her or any place to put her. 3 houses on your own 122 acre property certainly open up the possibilities for a potential perp. According to the article I linked earlier regarding the December search, the boat dock was located in an alcove...and this would certainly be an alcove based on the map. Anyway, not saying anything about THIS particular property, just throwing it out there for anyone interested. http://www.homes.com/listing/104151433/1650_Harris_Landing_Rd_GEORGETOWN_SC_29440#stay

Heres a link to the video of dock and where they searched,not sure you seen it hope it helps :)
http://www.carolinalive.com/news/photos.aspx?id=386560
click on photo of BD and video play in few secs

The pier being right next to HWY 17 is what we would expect. Can you elaborate on what you were saying about where the sunglasses being found in conjunction with this pier? I take it would be consistent with washing downstream from the pier.

rd

Actually, as EASY as it would be to dump her or her belongings at the HWY 17 landing, I don't really see a boat 'dock' there and it's almost parallel to the Santee Delta West area where the glasses were found.

If you'll look at the real estate listing I posted of 1650 harris landing, I really think something like that is what we are looking for...someone's PRIVATE boat dock upstream from Santee Delta West. Here's the link photos 5 and 6: http://www.homes.com/listing/104151433/1650_Harris_Landing_Rd_GEORGETOWN_SC_29440#stay

As for the elaboration, this map shows the area referred to as Santee Delta West. Its at the bottom left of your screen.
The glasses were found somewhere in that section, but we'd have to assume that it isn't TOO deep into the woods, since they were camping and just looking for some firewood.

The dock at harris landing rd is across the river and upstream from where the glasses were found. It's also the same general area where LE searched in December, though we don't know WHICH dock, obviously.
I just don't see it being the ramp at HWY 17 because the glasses would almost have to travel upstream or straight across to get to the Santee Delta West area. IMHO.

No I didn't, Rose!! Great find!! Thanks so much!!

ETA: Rose, that is CLEARLY someone's personal boat dock.....it looks very raggedy and self-made...not something the county would pay for, IMHO. The real estate listing I posted a second ago has a dock, but it's far nicer looking than this one in the news article. So, I guess we're just looking for WHICH dock it is, but I'm thinking this has got to be the same general area based on everything we've been told so far. Anyway, goodnight everyone....I'll try to search some more tomorrow.

Actually, as EASY as it would be to dump her or her belongings at the HWY 17 landing, I don't really see a boat 'dock' there and it's almost parallel to the Santee Delta West area where the glasses were found.

If you'll look at the real estate listing I posted of 1650 harris landing, I really think something like that is what we are looking for...someone's PRIVATE boat dock upstream from Santee Delta West. Here's the link photos 5 and 6: http://www.homes.com/listing/104151433/1650_Harris_Landing_Rd_GEORGETOWN_SC_29440#stay

As for the elaboration, this map shows the area referred to as Santee Delta West. Its at the bottom left of your screen.
The glasses were found somewhere in that section, but we'd have to assume that it isn't TOO deep into the woods, since they were camping and just looking for some firewood.

The dock at harris landing rd is across the river and upstream from where the glasses were found. It's also the same general area where LE searched in December, though we don't know WHICH dock, obviously.
I just don't see it being the ramp at HWY 17 because the glasses would almost have to travel upstream or straight across to get to the Santee Delta West area. IMHO.

I didn't realize that close, even if across the river. I was thinking more downstream, I had no idea how far.

Now I'm wondering if where the sunglasses were found is the source of this, rather than a corroboration. You have done a great job helping us understand with your links, thanks.

rd

I didn't realize that close, even if across the river. I was thinking more downstream, I had no idea how far.

Now I'm wondering if where the sunglasses were found is the source of this, rather than a corroboration. You have done a great job helping us understand with your links, thanks.

rd

I agree thanks Krista, sometimes it's hard to understand where I'm not from the area. But, seeing it helps clear up alot.

Nice find Krista. I remember this very well. It seemed to be very encouraging but then I thought they said the bone was found not to be human. Still whoever tipped them off probably gave them something about the guys involved as well.

Nice find Krista. I remember this very well. It seemed to be very encouraging but then I thought they said the bone was found not to be human. Still whoever tipped them off probably gave them something about the guys involved as well.

Very true...it didn't turn up any hard evidence...but the dogs scented on something based on the reporting....they stayed there for a long time searching for something. But my main reason for focusing in on this area is that from the moment this tip was called in, LE says their case started picking up steam...and that they located 3-4 POI's. Based on that, I figure if we could narrow down the target area that LE was focusing on, the homes are so spaced out that it wouldn't be THAT difficult to find out who is living in these areas and, possibly, who owns that dock. I think, based on the pictures Rose provided, it's someone's homemade dock. And, if it's homemade, then it's probable that the people using the dock felt comfortable with the land and homes surrounding it...and felt confident that nothing would happen to them on that property. So, either someone else let them use the dock or one of the POI's owns the property/or lives there. All IMHO.

***Doc, there are many people who DON'T believe the sunglasses are Brittanee's. ALL of my theorizing is based on those glasses being hers. If they are her glasses, the most likely scenario is that the house with the dock is upstream from where the glasses were located. Upstream from the glasses is a relatively small area with few houses that have river access. If they aren't hers, then all we know is that LE was searching a house SOMEWHERE along N Santee River that has a 25ft dock. It could be ANYWHERE along the river. Just wanted to clarify that again for anyone who's reading this!!***

O/T sorta, but I hope everything is alright with MB Lover! I haven't seen her post in a long time and I miss her!

3310681.jpg

Do any locals recognize this area? It seems pretty desolate, along the North Santee, and slightly resembles the pictures...maybe...

Nvm. Now that I look at it, it doesn't look too much like the pictures we saw of the search area.

O/T sorta, but I hope everything is alright with MB Lover! I haven't seen her post in a long time and I miss her!

Thanks Lindsay! Much appreciated!

Just returned home from MB yesterday (late evening). Kind of a weird trip that has left me feeling a bit down in ways... The vigil for Brittanee was so sad, there was something about it being such a final goodbye in ways...and seeing Brittanee's family in so much pain, it was heartbreaking.

The whole time at the beach all I could think of was Brittanee and what she possibly went through at the hands of the person(s) who did such a horrible thing...and thought about how if her 'friends' had looked after her like she was a younger sister...this probably would have never happened... And how if PB had said...hey wait up...game will be over in a few minutes and we're going out anyway...so I'll give you a ride...this probably would have never happened...

I haven't posted because a lot of things I brought up fairly early on have been brought back out again - and wanted a fresh perspective by the newer posters on this board and to see how those thoughts would be looked at this time - like the child locks on the back doors of a vehicle, the parking garage entrances/exits that are right on OB.

I see there is a "new" time for the last text. That puts a different spin on things. All I know is over at the FB page for BD (that was put together by TVF) it had listed the times of 9:15/9:16 for the last text - and that supposed text was BD to JG (9:15) JG to BD (9:16) and then nothing else.

With DD giving the 9:30 time that she was notified and with what JG said was in the last text...

To me that message from him (to BD) and then notifying DD so quickly that BD couldn't be located.... Why would he have jumped to the conclusion that BD was missing so quickly? What did he know? Anything? Did BD say something in one of the texts that caused him to worry about her safety?

I have to believe JG knew something - maybe it was just that he knew that she had met some people at MB and she said she was going with them to a party or something or was catching a ride back to BH...and that's why he said to be careful.

I still don't understand why there is so much misinformation out about the times. Looks like someone would give out the exact details on times...someone who may have seen something specifically at 9:15 might not be thinking too much about it because they saw somethinig at 8:15, 8:30, 8:45 (for example) so they've disregarded what they saw because of the inconsistencies.

My highlight of the trip - getting to meet MLatta - he's a great guy, a truly wonderful soul, who has done a lot of good things for Brittanee!

LLLindsayy,

I'm not certain, but I think that could be a photo of the boat ramp at Hwy 17. It has a few old beams sticking up out of the water like that, a partial old dock or roadway. IF it is that boat ramp, the ramp would be just past the tufts of grass in the photo you linked. This angle would have to be almost under the HWY 17 bridge that crosses N Santee River. I just can't be sure it's the same place.
Here's another angle of the same boat ramp area, and a second photo with the old beams:
http://www.scgreatoutdoors.com/park-poleyardpublicboatlanding-morephotos.html

Welcome back, MBlover!!

We've really missed you!! :hug:
Mlatta is an awesome advocate for Brittanee and her family...as are you!! I'm so thankful that you were able to go and spend time supporting the family and friends. I know they appreciate how much everyone here cares about Brittanee.

Thanks Lindsay! Much appreciated!

Just returned home from MB yesterday (late evening). Kind of a weird trip that has left me feeling a bit down in ways... The vigil for Brittanee was so sad, there was something about it being such a final goodbye in ways...and seeing Brittanee's family in so much pain, it was heartbreaking.

The whole time at the beach all I could think of was Brittanee and what she possibly went through at the hands of the person(s) who did such a horrible thing...and thought about how if her 'friends' had looked after her like she was a younger sister...this probably would have never happened... And how if PB had said...hey wait up...game will be over in a few minutes and we're going out anyway...so I'll give you a ride...this probably would have never happened...

I haven't posted because a lot of things I brought up fairly early on have been brought back out again - and wanted a fresh perspective by the newer posters on this board and to see how those thoughts would be looked at this time - like the child locks on the back doors of a vehicle, the parking garage entrances/exits that are right on OB.

I see there is a "new" time for the last text. That puts a different spin on things. All I know is over at the FB page for BD (that was put together by TVF) it had listed the times of 9:15/9:16 for the last text - and that supposed text was BD to JG (9:15) JG to BD (9:16) and then nothing else.

With DD giving the 9:30 time that she was notified and with what JG said was in the last text...

To me that message from him (to BD) and then notifying DD so quickly that BD couldn't be located.... Why would he have jumped to the conclusion that BD was missing so quickly? What did he know? Anything? Did BD say something in one of the texts that caused him to worry about her safety?

I have to believe JG knew something - maybe it was just that he knew that she had met some people at MB and she said she was going with them to a party or something or was catching a ride back to BH...and that's why he said to be careful.

I still don't understand why there is so much misinformation out about the times. Looks like someone would give out the exact details on times...someone who may have seen something specifically at 9:15 might not be thinking too much about it because they saw somethinig at 8:15, 8:30, 8:45 (for example) so they've disregarded what they saw because of the inconsistencies.

My highlight of the trip - getting to meet MLatta - he's a great guy, a truly wonderful soul, who has done a lot of good things for Brittanee!

I agree, MB. I've stepped back a little and watched what the new eyes have gotten out of the old info. It's very interesting to read their theories and see what info they bring up. Also, a lot of times I've forgotten specifics. Some things that didn't seem very important turn out to be important.

I appreciate everyone's efforts here.

I'm so glad you could be in MB with Britt's family. I would have been there if I could have. I missed your posts and I'm glad your back with your insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88