www.facebook.com
TIFarrington1.jpg

Tanya Irene Farrington
Missing since March 29, 1979 from Crows Nest, New South Wales, Australia
Classification: Endangered Missing

• Date Of Birth: October 30, 1964
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 167 cm
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; green/hazel eyes. Thin build.

Tanya was last seen on 22 March 1979 at Crows Nest.

Tanya Farrington was last seen by her father, watching television in their Crows Nest home about 11:00 pm on March 22, 1979. She went to bed as usual but the following morning it was apparent her bed had not been slept in.

No sign of her has ever been reported since.

The family flat and surrounding areas were searched by police; there was no sign of forced entry and none of Tanya’s belongings appeared to have been removed.

Tanya attended Cremorne Girls High School and has been described as being rebellious but not out of control. She liked music and played the guitar. While she had no history of running away for long periods, a few of her friends told police at the time that Tanya would sometimes sneak out of the house at night to meet friends.

It is also believed that Tanya had a boyfriend about the time she disappeared, although her parents did not know his name. A few months before Tanya disappeared she’d failed to return home overnight and was found with her boyfriend on Manly beach the following morning.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2153dfnsw.html

Missing person Tanya Farrington last seen in 1992, court told

WITNESS statements claiming that a Crows Nest woman who went missing 31 years ago has been seen numerous times, as late as 1992, were revealed in the Coroner’s Court in Glebe today.

[snip]

A coroner’s inquiry into her suspected death started today.

[snip]

The court heard from Sen-Constable Naomi Martin, a Harbourside detective who has led the investigation for the past few years, that one of Miss Farrington’s ``good friends’’ saw her about three years after she went missing.

But the witness and his sister, Miss Farrington’s former classmate from Cremorne Girls’ High School, did not tell Miss Farrington’s family or report it to police at the time.

Another witness claimed Miss Farrington went to see her parents at their unit block in Queensland in the early ‘90s and asked the landlord if she could see them, but they were not home at the time.

[snip]

Mr Dillon adjourned the court until February 25, but told Mr Farrington and wife Leanne that a breakthrough was unlikely.

Much more: http://mosman-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/tanya-farrington/

MISSING WOMEN LINK SYDNEY

An undated supplied image 14-year-old Tanya Farrington, who lived in the suburb of Crows Nest in Sydney and went missing 1979. An inquest has heard on Monday, Feb. 13, 2012 that Farrington's disappearance has been linked to the missing case of 22-year-old Linda Davie, an aspiring New Zealand model and 23-year-old Marion Sanford, a nurse also from New Zealand. (AAP Image/Australian Federal Police)

13/02/2012
http://multimedia.aapnewswire.com.a...=ObjectName&Gallery=MISSING+WOMEN+LINK+SYDNEY

tanyafarrington.jpg

Did Tanya send a note home as well? So did Kay Docherty and Toni Cavanaugh when they disappeared in 1979, and their notes are similar to Linda and Marion's. If so, that would make 6 women who disappeared around the same time that sent home notes, three of them stating they were fine and were meeting up with friends. Are there any more that anyone knows of? They must be aware of the possibility of all of these cases being similar.

Did Tanya send a note home as well? So did Kay Docherty and Toni Cavanaugh when they disappeared in 1979, and their notes are similar to Linda and Marion's. If so, that would make 6 women who disappeared around the same time that sent home notes, three of them stating they were fine and were meeting up with friends. Are there any more that anyone knows of? They must be aware of the possibility of all of these cases being similar.

Yes, you'd hope that there was a national database of all historical missing persons cases. I know that the AFP has the National Missing Persons Coordination Centre although I'm not sure how much information they hold versus that which may be stored on individual states' missing persons databases. Or even if cases can be cross-referenced by keywords.

I'm reminded of this tragic case:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Karlie-Pearce-Stevenson-(Belanglo)-10/page44

Yes, you'd hope that there was a national database of all historical missing persons cases. I know that the AFP has the National Missing Persons Coordination Centre although I'm not sure how much information they hold versus that which may be stored on individual states' missing persons databases. Or even if cases can be cross-referenced by keywords.

I'm reminded of this tragic case:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Karlie-Pearce-Stevenson-(Belanglo)-10/page44

Makes me wonder if it's the same killer. Sounds like whoever it was took the note writing MO from Dean Corl's playbook.

Makes me wonder if it's the same killer. Sounds like whoever it was took the note writing MO from Dean Corl's playbook.

The 'Candy Man'? That was in Houston TX; yes? Three men involved IIRC.

The 'Candy Man'? That was in Houston TX; yes? Three men involved IIRC.
Yes, that's the one. It was a man with two teen aged male accomplices in the early 70s who lured many young men and boys to his Houston home where he would sexually assault, torture and kill them. He made some of his victims write or call home to say they'd run away, and it worked. The Houston PD treated the cases like runaways, even though some were quite young, and didn't thoroughly investigate them. The timing would be about right; he was killed in 1973 by one of the accomplices. If it were publicized in the papers worldwide, someone could have copied that part of his MO, like John Wayne Gacy copied Corll's torture board.

Yes, that's the one. It was a man with two teen aged male accomplices in the early 70s who lured many young men and boys to his Houston home where he would sexually assault, torture and kill them. He made some of his victims write or call home to say they'd run away, and it worked. The Houston PD treated the cases like runaways, even though some were quite young, and didn't thoroughly investigate them. The timing would be about right; he was killed in 1973 by one of the accomplices. If it were publicized in the papers worldwide, someone could have copied that part of his MO, like John Wayne Gacy copied Corll's torture board.

I'll have to refamiliarise myself with those cases. I seem to remember The Candy Man et al only had one female victim; who was also the only known survivor.

I'll have to refamiliarise myself with those cases. I seem to remember The Candy Man et al only had one female victim; who was also the only known survivor.
Yes, she was actually a friend they brought over to hang out, not to torture, I believe, but Corll had other ideas. I just want to clarify that it's not the victims profiles I'm comparing, only his forcing some of his victims to write home to make it seem like they ran away.

I cannot find a report that Tanya left a note or any explanation for why LE linked this case to those of Linda Davie and Marion Sanford other than that they occurred in the same area over a 12 month period. For me the differences are more significant than the similarities (age and involvement with the Sydney underworld in one case). But perhaps LE have information they have not disclosed.

Three names have been suggested as possibly linked to the disappearances – Ivan Milat (whoalways gets fingered), John Anderson and Terry Clark. I would like to raise a fourth name – Christopher Wilder. Wilder conducted a murder/rape spree in the USA in 1984 (which ended in his death). He was born in Australia and moved to the States in the late 60s. However his parents lived in Manly, a northern suburb of Sydney only about 3 miles from Tanya’s home and the same place where she is supposed to have gone the night she disappeared (and where her boyfriend was believed to live). Wilder was known to visit his parents (although I cannot find where he was in March 1979). This is established as he was arrested in December 1982, in Manly, for an assault. His modus operandi was to pose as a photographer to lure the gullible. If Wilder was in Australia at the time he would have likely been in the immediate area of Tanya’s disappearance. If not it would still be worth looking at him in relation to the other times and disappearances in North Sydney (if only to eliminate him if he can be placed in the USA at the time). The spate of disappearances would have been quite consistent with Wilder, who committed 8 murders and 12 rapes in 6 weeks in 1984 and is suspected in many more in previous years.

And Marion Sanford. The notes were all the same content. For the most part. It is either a MO of a killer forcing them to write under duress or a willing note written by the victim who thought she was going to make some quick cash doing an international drug run/be a mule. Several of them had drug addictions and were willing to take the risk. My question has been, did they actually do the international drug run and had something happen overseas, or never make it off the continent. I do think, like with Buckskin Girl, could she have been a drug runner? Like BG, the clothing she was wearing was dated for the time, down-under might be delayed on current fashions due to lack of globalisation at that time. While BG might not be Marion, I do think some of our UID could be victims of trafficking. Either as willing drug mules initially or by force for sexual/work related or other trafficking. . But, if willing, they wouldn't hit the radar when leaving the country if they genuinely thought it was a quick run.

Bump.

I notice that since my original post in 2016 still no one has linked to any reports which say Tanya sent or left a note. Tanya Irene FARRINGTON lists many press reports from 2009/10, from the time of the inquest, and none reference a note (although they do refer to others cases such as Marion Sanford which did include a note). If there was no note in Tanya's case it damages efforts to find her by creating false links to other cases.

In my last post I also suggested Christopher Wilder as a possible suspect because his parents lived in Manly (although he lived in the USA). At that time I did not know if he had visited Australia in 1979 but I have now found that he did. The Snapshot Killer states that he made his first trip back to Australia in a decade in April 1979. It is quite possible that either the trip spanned late March/April or that the quoted date is slightly out. This find makes me even more interested in any possible link to Wilder.

I continue to be amazed that Christopher Wilder does not seem to be a suspect in this case. As I noted above, he was on a trip to his parents in Australia at very close to the time when Tanya went missing (and may have been there at the time as dates are not known precisely). I now see that his parents lived in Rene Street, North Ryde. This address is no more than 2-3 miles from Tanya's home. And she fits his victim profile, both in the USA and Australia.

It may be that police have eliminated him in some way, but in the absence of this being clarified it seems very odd he is not even being looked at.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back