NC - Melvin Levine, renowned pediatrician and pedophile*found deceased*

believe09

Reaction score
(Mods remove this if it appears elsewhere)

"A former Children’s Hospital Boston pediatrician and best-selling author accused of sexually abusing as many as 50 boys will never practice medicine again, according to an agreement he signed today with the medical board in North Carolina, where he has treated patients for more than 20 years."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/03/by_david_abel_g_4.html

Of the children who came forward, it was determined that the examination of the boys genitals were not deemed to be medically necessary. Beyond this, the examinations often did not appear in the chart or if noted, did not follow guidelines for prevailing practice.

:eek::eek::eek:

I don't know if I can think of a bigger breach of trust then this....unless it is abuse by the clergy. BUT, because this man is highly educated, he will be allowed to continue his teaching and lecturing positions. Unlike the boys he abused, he will sail merrily on with his life and work.

This makes me absolutely sick. I really hope he gets prosecuted to the fullest extent he can, and that all of his victims get the justice that they absolutely deserve.

Wow. I cannot believe it. This man is like a God in the special ed. field. He's written a lot about kids with learning issues and how to deal with them....I am utterly dumbfounded. How can a sick man like this go on preaching about children when he himself cannot treat them right?

Technically speaking, his medical license was inactivated. That's different from a license revocation, which is a separate legal action that can be appealed and allows a person to apply for reinstatement.

Levine, who voluntarily surrendered his license last year, "continues to adamantly deny the allegations and maintains that all examinations were medically necessary" and performed properly, said his lawyer, Alan Schneider.

Schneider said Levine hasn't practiced medicine for some time. He said the consent agreement allows Levine to focus on writing, international lecturing and other work.
Full article: click here

So let's think about this-Levine is stating, in his own way via attorneys, that more than 50 children were either coached into making these statements or were lying...and just so happened to hit paydirt with their lies because there were other kids making this stuff up too.

Uh-huh.

So he preyed not just on the children but the most vulnerable of children? :sick:

But he gets to walk away, career intact, after leaving behind this many years of devastation.

Knock, Knock-hello Karma? I have someone you really need to meet....

Filly, there's a lot of info about Levine and others of his ilk on the Ayres' thread. Also check out James Krivaksca. At least he's at Avenal but he's still writing about child abuse awareness from behind prison walls. Yes!!

A lawsuit was filed today on behalf of 40 victims of Mel Levine, 40 former patients who assert Mel Levine gave them inappropriate genital examinations during his tenure at Children's Hospital in Boston. The lawsuit further alleges that Children's Hospital knew of the abuse because they received complaints, but they did nothing to restrict Mel Levine and his access to young patients.

Get this, Children's ADMITS to investigating and settling one allegation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110217/us_nm/us_doctor_abuse

Mel Levine-you know the same guy who wrote the books regarding handling troubled children. The same guy who has a "ranch" where he sees and treats "patients" even though he gave up his medical license in 2009 because he conceeded the medical board had enough proof regarding the allegations to suspend him.

He practiced at Children's Hospital from 1966-1985. He is hot on the heels of Donald Rife and William Ayres, Boston doctors accused of the SAME type of abuse who also practiced at Children's Hospital in Boston.

Huh.

Yes. Ayres worked at Children's Hospital from 1959-1963.
Donald Lee Rife worked at Children's from 1964-1966
Levine from 1966-1985.

Wonder if the doctors passed the baton to each other?

Ex-Boston Doctor Facing Sexual Abuse Suit Dies

Updated: 2/18/2011 10:24:29 PM

Boston, Mass. -- A former pediatrician accused of giving medically unnecessary genital exams to dozens of boys over nearly two decades in Massachusetts has died in North Carolina.

Attorney Edward Mahoney said Friday that Melvin Levine died at age 71. He did not have details on when Levine died or the cause of death.

more here

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local_state/article.aspx?storyid=161954

Thanks Texas Mist. It's all over the Boston papers today. The Boston Globe: "Doctor in Sex Abuse Suit Dies"
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...rmer_childrens_doctor_in_sex_abuse_suit_dies/

Dr. Melvin D. Levine, a former Children’s Hospital Boston doctor and best-selling author, was found dead yesterday, his attorney said, a day after he was sued over accusations that he sexually abused thousands of pediatric patients.

The suit cited 40 former patients, all young boys at the time, who said that Levine performed unnecessary genital examinations.
Boston lawyer Carmen L. Durso said his suit sought to represent all children examined by Levine when he worked at Children’s Hospital, from 1966 through 1985.
“On a typical visit, he would tell the parents that they could not come into the examining room, because that would interfere with his ability to perform a proper examination,’’ Durso said at a press conference Thursday in his Boston office. “He would require the boys to strip naked, not just for when he did the exam, but for the whole time of the exam, regardless of the reason for the treatment.’’ Durso said Levine performed prolonged genital exams."

______

What a coward Levine was not to face his own music. I know that his speaking engagements dried up after news first broke in 2008 about the sex abuse. Then he had to surrender his license. I guess he couldn't face the fact that his whole life had been a sham and that he was a criminal.

Here's hoping his victims - which lawyer Carmen Durso believes could be as many as 5000, go after every last penny of Levine's estate.

My heart goes out to his family, and absolutely to any of his victims who wont have the satisfaction of seeing him penalized for any crimes he committed.

I am shocked.

I am not shocked. The bigger the front, the bigger the fall. Levine had built up a huge facade as a hero and expert on children. He appeared on Oprah; he had best selling books. I believe I read that one of his victims had committed suicide. The lives of his victims were no cakewalk.... alcoholism; nightmares; perhaps homelessness; broke. No one wanted them to go on Oprah.

Levine was married but had no children. As in the Ayres case, I believe that Levine's wife was an enabler.

Everyone knows where I stand concerning the victims and the hell they live with everyday. The thing that really bothers me is that the man's books remain on educators', college, library, and parents' shelves all over the world. I've read many of them. What is to be done with the massive body of work created by this monstrous man? It's exactly like Carleton Gajdusek, who won the Nobel in Physiology. I'm so conflicted on this issue. Levine's work absolutely changed the way "different" learners were taught in our schools. I suppose we have to wait for another, morally grounded man or woman to step forward and carry on with the work.

Mercyneal: 5000 boys???? That leaves me numb.

How could they???

http://departingthetext.blogspot.com/2011/02/dr-mel-levines-legacy-in-memorium.html

Dr. Mel Levine's Legacy: In Memorium

"... I am compelled to write about Dr. Mel Levine, the tragedy of his death, and the legacy he leaves behind...."

and

".....Dr. Levine's death is a tragedy in and of itself, but would be magnified if his work and advocacy were to be swallowed and overshadowed by the legal suits and accusations surrounding the last few years of his life.

I wish all parties involved speedy healing and thank Dr. Levine for giving me a better understanding of my own strengths as a teacher as well as a clearer understanding of each of my kids' needs (be they my biological kids or my students). His work has made me a better teacher, a better educational advocate, and a better mother. I thank him...."

more at link (including comments)

Aren't a few people missing the boat here?

A lively discussion here from those who better understand the "legacy":

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=354131

FWIW, the Boston Globe refers to Levine as a former doctor. Many other papers, though, refer to him as Dr. Levine and Pediatrician Levine. People really don't get it, do they?

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/broo...rvice_for_dr_melvin_levine_set_for_wednesday/

"....The family's obituary noted that Dr. Levine died suddenly..."

I have worked and worked and worked to try and get Amazon etc to understand that IMO his books are fruit of a poisoned tree. I did not realize until I did some searching that his colleagues in the same field felt he was a Charlaton and that because there were no attributions or foot notes or even documented research, they felt the books were essentially self help.

If you believe in something strongly enough, I suspect it seems like a miracle happens when you think it comes true. I think of Jenny McCarthy-I wonder if her son was properly diagnosed with autism, or if he had some kind of auto-immune disorder that was rectified when his diet became gluten free. As an example.

Levine had the audacity to preach to millions while he was sexually abusing those who were at risk. I have no respect for him, he appalls me in life and in death.

Believe09:
In the past two years, I have had the opportunity to speak with a number of Boston doctors who knew Levine from Children's Hospital. They said they had never liked him. Every single one of them said they believed Levine had molested the boys.

He knew everyone knew, and then he suddenly died. Apparently his last effort at preventing them from regaining their power and showing him for who he was.

I hope the suit continues to pursue Childrens. Having three physicians with the same proclivity at the hospital has to be more than just a lightening strike.

:(

You would have to think that there were more pedophile doctors coming out of Boston Children's Hospital than just the following:

1) William Ayres: 1959-1963
2)Donald Lee Rife: 1964-1966
2)Melvin Levine: 1966-1985

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member