LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulling quotes from the previous thread...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re tresptip: What a sad world we live in that we have to walk around with guns in our pockets.I could not live like that myself.

Well, you don't have to. My grandfather lived his whole life and never touched a gun and was never robbed. My father and mother are 61 years old and they've never had a gun or been robbed. Obviously, those statements take into account where they've lived and how they've lived. But it's not a necessity unless you live in a high-threat area. My point is this: carrying a gun isn't always just about being safe. It's a coping mechanism that allows you to feel safe. Lots of people have other ways of making themselves feel safe. We're all just trying to cope in a world where, when this stuff occasionally happens, we're shaken to the core.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re JurysOut: I'm a true northerner. I see random interjections from strangers as an invasion of my personal space. I'm perfectly content to move through the world without total stranger small talk.

Haha. I've never seen it put so bluntly, but I hear ya. I think it was lindsayw who mentioned Southern hospitality earlier, though. As a cultural thing, talking to a security guard would not be out of the ordinary--not in Lafayette, not in any of the other southeastern LA towns, and not in New Orleans. I talk to people I don't know all the time, especially if I see them regularly, including janitors, security guards, colleagues, neighbors, etc. Usually it's just pleasantries, but if Mickey saw a security regularly, and he asked a question like, "What are you always doing out here in the dark?" I can easily imagine a scenario where she casually told him/her her biking route. I can remember just recently talking to a rent-a-car guy about my daily route. Just as another example, in my neighborhood it'd be rude if I didn't wave to my neighbors as I left the house and drove down the block.

Re katydid23: But there is still a slight possibility that she was taking a quick side trip somewhere that we do not know about. I can only go on what I know about my kids, who are 24 and 20. That is how they roll, and it drives me nuts sometimes.

This is definitely possible. I've had TWO friends who were otherwise intelligent, reasonable, careful people who went somewhere without telling anyone, after reading a Craigslist ad, and got themselves in seriously bad situations. Just out of a feeling of invincibility, I guess. Both in their 20s.

Does anyone know if the off-road tire tracks are confirmed yet? This might be a dumb question but by tire tracks do they mean car tracks or bike tracks?

The only place I've seen these tire tracks mentioned is on good morning America. That doesn't mean they weren't mentioned elsewhere so I could be mistaken.

Donamena---

I know you had asked about helping out with the Latino community. I think you were asking specifically about enlarged/enhanced photos of the WT which I don't have but I did get you a copy of the Spanish version of the flyer. There are a few up but we could definitely get more out and you would probably know the areas to bring them. Let me know if you want to meet somewhere and I can give it to you. You can either make copies of it yourself, or I will see if I can go and get more from Kinko's at the discounted rate. Thanks!

I hadn't realized Whiskey Bay was used by Derrick Todd Lee. Jesus. Wonder what kind of legislative wherewithal it would take to get a camera permanently placed on the underpass on 975?

Evidently, the're relying on the 'lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place', theory of crime prevention.

Anyone know the child's name from TX, whose body was found there?

I hadn't realized Whiskey Bay was used by Derrick Todd Lee. Jesus. Wonder what kind of legislative wherewithal it would take to get a camera permanently placed on the underpass on 975?
And Sean Gillis before him. And who knows which other killers left victims there who were never found.

In 2002, the body of Pam Kinnamore was found at that exit. Less than a year later, the body of Carrie Lynn Yoder was also discovered at Whiskey Bay. Police said both women were the victims of Derrick Todd Lee, the Baton Rouge serial killer who has since been convicted and now sits on death row at the Louisiana State Penitentiary.

Blanchard said he also could recall an unrelated murder that took place in the same area several years ago, and a case where the body of a child who had been abducted from Texas was left there.

That same exit became connected with another apparent crime last Sunday, when two fishermen found Shunick's bicycle there.

So, that's already three people found out there, and possibly one more, Mickey. I think it's high time Lafayette people start to sit on the steps of City Hall and demand cameras out there at Whiskey Bridge. Had they already had them, we might know who took Mickey. Or at least have some better idea who did it.

I get ya Chicken, sleuth on. I stayed up till 4:00am staring at Mickey on her bike in front of City Hall, and wanted her to turn my way and tell me what happened, so..........sleuth on.

I've been up till 4:00 the last couple of days 'walking' google street view, rewatching video...seems urgent just now.

I have a full work week ahead, so I'd better knock it off.

The continuing late night/early morning 'where is Mickey?!' conversation is tough to abandon, though.

I think wild conjecturing is part of puzzle solving and whipping up a theory to subsequently knock it down is a necessary part of the process.

One last thing, before I return to my camera-map making and intensive endeavor, the way I'm doing it.... the reason I'm waiting to post is that I want to call the police and the PI with my findings before I finalize it, so as not to throw another red herring into the case.

Now I'm back to work. I hope y'all can reach some sort of agreement on which truck is which. One thing that would greatly help me is if anyone could, in an organized manner, repost the time-stamp (or lack thereof) and location of each picture released by LE:

Mickey @ Circle K
Truck caught at same spot at Circle K, going in Mickey's direction.
Both pics (I think there are two but maybe there is one and someone enlarged it and confused me) of the truck(s) seen from the back.
Pic of the Olds
Pic of blurry car (which I'm convinced is the Olds as well)

This would greatly help me with my map, as I'm having trouble wading through threads trying to find the links.....

I'll check back in a bit. I really appreciate y'all's help. I think it will advance the discussion to have a unified camera/vehicle map so everyone is discussing the same set of facts....

So, that's already three people found out there, and possibly one more, Mickey. I think it's high time Lafayette people start to sit on the steps of City Hall and demand cameras out there at Whiskey Bridge. Had they already had them, we might know who took Mickey. Or at least have some better idea who did it.

I am not sure whose jurisdiction it would be under, because it's ~30 miles away from Lafayette. Probably the state (if it were to be attached to I-10?) or maybe St. Martin Parish?

Anyway, it would be nice. But then again there is that entire Atchafalaya basin right there so I'd imagine bodies would just be dumped somewhere else. Who knows.

Evidently, the're relying on the 'lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place', theory of crime prevention.

Are we certain that LE has not taken measures to address this?

If it was me I certainly would not let it be known that this had been done as it would alert the people responsible. They would find an alternate place.

I found it interesting that LE was so adament with respect to the fact the bike had not been tossed off the bridge as well as quite specific with respect to the approximate time. This leads me to believe that they have some very specific information in regards to that location. How did they come by this information?

chicken fried

Guys, I'm working on stuff right now, so can't join in. I immediately knew I made a mistake last night saying anything about the guard. I wanted y'all to have the route the guard said, to discuss it, and I clearly said soon after, for those reading all the threads, that the guard is not the perp.

I'm learning here at WS... and what I just learned is to keep my mouth completely shut and give you all the info at once. I am gathering a large amount of info and making the maps, so I can't keep combating this. I have no time to post here unless I just want to give up on giving you the info I learned yesterday, in an organized format. If I start answering specifics about the guard, I have learned over the last few days that one question will lead to speculation and more speculation, and the way the old "telephone game" works, it will probably lead to a necrophiliac-guard theory.

If you respect my integrity as a poster, please take for now that it's NOT the guard, and as soon as I have everything done, I will post it all here, and the specific reasons why the guard has nothing to do with it..

Please move ON from any discussion about the guard.... it's a waste of time.
...and I know now I'm probably in trouble with the mods for unintentionally playing "I've got a secret." But I'm not going to put out info piecemeal that will blow up the threads for the day.

Please let me work.

thanks.

[B]To the mods, I am a bit unclear about the "verified poster" thing. If I am observing things like camera positions with my own eyes, and talking with people like security guards DIRECTLY MYSELF, adn reporting on these things, am I required to become a "verified poster?"[/B]

I am not and will not be reporting rumors here... just giving first-hand information and photos to WS.

??

BBM: I'm not a mod, but I'm pretty sure in order to be classified as a "local", you must be verified. Some old timers correct me if I'm wrong.

chicken fried said: To the mods, I am a bit unclear about the "verified poster" thing. If I am observing things like camera positions with my own eyes, and talking with people like security guards DIRECTLY MYSELF, adn reporting on these things, am I required to become a "verified poster?"

Hey, chicken fried --- it is possible that the mod intended to say "verified LOCAL/INSIDER poster."

To get verified, you just contact Tricia and she will authenticate your standing as a local. Don't worry, you are in good company. So far, out of alllllll of the LAs posting, only one person is listed as a verified local/insider, meaning, nobody else has contacted Tricia to get verified.

Hope this helps.

Off-topic, but the answer to the question above is Samuel McKay Everett.
His killer was executed in 2003.

BBM: I'm not a mod, but I'm pretty sure in order to be classified as a "local", you must be verified. Some old timers correct me if I'm wrong.

verification process for insiders (locals)
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167277"]Rules Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Someone may have answered this before and I missed it, but was the abandoned hospital searched with dogs?

Are we certain that LE has not taken measures to address this?

If it was me I certainly would not let it be known that this had been done as it would alert the people responsible. They would find an alternate place.

I found it interesting that LE was so adament with respect to the fact the bike had not been tossed off the bridge as well as quite specific with respect to the approximate time. This leads me to believe that they have some very specific information in regards to that location. How did they come by this information?

From NG transcript http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1205/28/ng.01.html:

BURRIS: There`s none that we know about at this time, Nancy. The exit is -- when you exit the interstate, it basically puts you right there in the location where the bike was found.

We don`t believe the bike was thrown from the bridge because there is no shoulder on the bridge for a vehicle to pull over. They would actually have to stop in the middle of a heavily traveled interstate to do that.

BURRIS: Well, let me just say that that particular area is -- it`s a remote area. Really, the only reason why people would exit there would be to go fishing or go to their camps. It`s not a very major exit. It`s basically a hunting area. So therefore, we have not found any video in the area of that exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46