Csi tech jb examined during motions

Sdavidson11

You are not alone in this journey
Reaction score
Is it standard to destroy notes during an investigation like the csi guy stated after putting them in the computer?

HLN talking heads said it is. They said there is nothing shady about it.

It makes sense to me to destroy them since they are inputting them onto a secure system. Making them less subject to be lost, tampered with or destroyed.

I put this in the hearing thread but figured it would work here as well because this is directly about it

I am studying to become a forensics investigator and there are differing methods of information retention--1 thing we all had to have was a notebook to keep notes in but there is also paperwork to make notations on.

So say I work for a police dept--I'm called out to a scene--I can(not required to)take notes on what I observe in my own personal notebook--The PD CSI lab has official paperwork to make notes on but that generally happens after return to lab and is based on photographs and sketches from the scene as well as personal observations.

Now when I get back to the lab and start processing the evidence it will be logged onto official paperwork((ie: signed evidence bag 0021713/aa out of holding,,removed blue shirt from evidence bag 0021713/aa,,blue shirt from evidence bag 0021713/aa determined to be made by Hanes RN#17730,,stain observed on front top left shoulder area,,small section of area removed shirt contained in evidence bag 0021713/aa and preserved in vial number 0021713/aa/1,,preserved section in vial number 0021713/aa/1 sent to FBI lab in Quantico for determination====and so forth and so on))

So Bloise very well could have had his own notes but the question becomes if his "own notes" are those in a personal notebook or ones on official paperwork now either way when he has finished examing an item and has made all notes pertinent to that item he is required to generate a report on that item and the report is everything that was observed and tested on the item.

So if Bloise did only the visual inspection and removed a portion of an area for testing he could only report on what he did with the evidence so the report would be incomplete until the results of the testing come back--now when the results come back..I don't know whose job it is to add it to the report((Now I have a question to ask at my next class!))

I guess with all that--Once the report is generated there is no good reason to keep the notes--because everything from the notes would have been entered into the report

It makes sense to me to destroy them since they are inputting them onto a secure system. Making them less subject to be lost, tampered with or destroyed.

Plus it prevents people outside of LE having knowledge about a crime that was committed---Say I work for a crime lab in Los Angeles as a csi---I work on a scene where a child was murdered and take personal notes to include that a baseball cap with a certain logo is found near the body---3 weeks later my home is broken into and my notebooks are stolen---2 days later the main suspect in the investigation is murdered

It could be argued that whoever stole my notebooks recognized the baseball cap described in them as belonging to the suspect and they were murdered based on that information

Another question about the CSI guy, why was he called and not his supervisor? Is this normal during a motion.

Another question about the CSI guy, why was he called and not his supervisor? Is this normal during a motion.

Without having copies of all their reports I'd have to say because JB thought he could pick on him--it appeared that he had nothing written in the report in regards to where the evidence was and when during the time JB and Dr Lee went to the lab to examine the evidence

I work as an analyst for the U.S. Government and with the advent of the computer, we are required to input our data into the computer systems, thereby eliminating much paper which can be lost/stolen/or mis-routed to the wrong recipients. When I complete my reports, I also shred all my backup paperwork....Sure beats filing into the secured safes.

I agree with the department's procedure for eliminating notes after the agents have completed their reports. It is another measure of security.

I would love to know why JB questioned this Tech about the report his supervisor wrote? why not just interview the supervisor - he was sitting right there in the court room! Any thoughts as to why JB chose to question GB instead of MV the supervisor? I can not for the life of me figure out why he did it this way. Unless MV was the next witness he was going to question when he decided he had done enough damage to himself and it would be best if he just shut up! :)

I would love to know why JB questioned this Tech about the report his supervisor wrote? why not just interview the supervisor - he was sitting right there in the court room! Any thoughts as to why JB chose to question GB instead of MV the supervisor? I can not for the life of me figure out why he did it this way. Unless MV was the next witness he was going to question when he decided he had done enough damage to himself and it would be best if he just shut up! :)

Could be or maybe JB was just more comfortable speaking to GB since they are both clear on how to pronounce GB's first name?

Maybe I interpreted it wrong but it seemed to me like JB was trying to point out a Hispanic kinship to GB. So maybe JB figured he could get farther with a fellow Hispanic than questioning his Caucasian supervisor.

JMHO as always.

The CSI guy during questioning reminded me of the pool boy in the movie Legally Blonde.... when the pool boy kept repeating yes, yes, yes.

And when Judge Strickland said we know your supervisor is in the court room you can ask him... over and over again.

I was watching the hearing today with a friend of mine who is Hispanic. After the witness spelled his name, JB pronounced his first name. He pointed out the proper pronunciation and the witness agreed. My friend chuckled. I asked her why and she said JB was trying to connect with the witness by letting him know that he is also Hispanic.

The supervisor's last name is Vincent.

As questioning proceeded I thought she had a valid point.

jmo of an observation...

I was watching the hearing today with a friend of mine who is Hispanic. After the witness spelled his name, JB pronounced his first name. He pointed out the proper pronunciation and the witness agreed. My friend chuckled. I asked her why and she said JB was trying to connect with the witness by letting him know that he is also Hispanic.

jmo of an observation...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

I definitely noticed Baez trying to connect with the witness, too. Oh brother! But what I thought was so funny and Baez just couldn't 'get it' was that Baez kept asking the csi guy why it took him 7 months to type us his report and the csi guy kept telling Baez that it didn't take him 7 mos....csi guy inspected the car, collected evidence, than at the end of THAT day he would sit at his computer and log in all his information. The next day he would do the same thing. When the collection was finished (I assume), the csi guy's report was finished, he turned it into his supervisor, the super signed it off and it was done. But Baez just didn't understand that. He didn't understand the report was done in segments like a diary. And then when Baez was questioning csi guy about Dr. Lee being there and finally the csi guy tells Baez, "you were there"... I really think this case is over Baez's head. He should not be trying this case at all. I'm thinking if KC is found guilty, she's going to get an appeal based on the bad representation she's had.

jmo of an observation...

I noticed this also and came to the same conclusion. I also wonder why he didn't get the supervisor up there, I think it may be because he wasted so much time already that he didn't want to PO the judge any more than he already had.

Baez thought he was Perry Mason re-incarnated and proceeded to make himself look inept. I find it hard to believe that Casey watches him do these things and thinks he's going to get her off!

I definitely noticed Baez trying to connect with the witness, too. Oh brother! But what I thought was so funny and Baez just couldn't 'get it' was that Baez kept asking the csi guy why it took him 7 months to type us his report and the csi guy kept telling Baez that it didn't take him 7 mos....csi guy inspected the car, collected evidence, than at the end of THAT day he would sit at his computer and log in all his information. The next day he would do the same thing. When the collection was finished (I assume), the csi guy's report was finished, he turned it into his supervisor, the super signed it off and it was done. But Baez just didn't understand that. He didn't understand the report was done in segments like a diary. And then when Baez was questioning csi guy about Dr. Lee being there and finally the csi guy tells Baez, "you were there"... I really think this case is over Baez's head. He should not be trying this case at all. I'm thinking if KC is found guilty, she's going to get an appeal based on the bad representation she's had.

I am so glad I was not the only one confused with what JB was saying I kept thinking, JB what part do you not understand???????? AND, if you really DON'T understand - then be a "good" attorney and step down, let someone else handle it. :slap:

I put this in the hearing thread but figured it would work here as well because this is directly about it

I am studying to become a forensics investigator and there are differing methods of information retention--1 thing we all had to have was a notebook to keep notes in but there is also paperwork to make notations on.

So say I work for a police dept--I'm called out to a scene--I can(not required to)take notes on what I observe in my own personal notebook--The PD CSI lab has official paperwork to make notes on but that generally happens after return to lab and is based on photographs and sketches from the scene as well as personal observations.

Now when I get back to the lab and start processing the evidence it will be logged onto official paperwork((ie: signed evidence bag 0021713/aa out of holding,,removed blue shirt from evidence bag 0021713/aa,,blue shirt from evidence bag 0021713/aa determined to be made by Hanes RN#17730,,stain observed on front top left shoulder area,,small section of area removed shirt contained in evidence bag 0021713/aa and preserved in vial number 0021713/aa/1,,preserved section in vial number 0021713/aa/1 sent to FBI lab in Quantico for determination====and so forth and so on))

So Bloise very well could have had his own notes but the question becomes if his "own notes" are those in a personal notebook or ones on official paperwork now either way when he has finished examing an item and has made all notes pertinent to that item he is required to generate a report on that item and the report is everything that was observed and tested on the item.

So if Bloise did only the visual inspection and removed a portion of an area for testing he could only report on what he did with the evidence so the report would be incomplete until the results of the testing come back--now when the results come back..I don't know whose job it is to add it to the report((Now I have a question to ask at my next class!))

I guess with all that--Once the report is generated there is no good reason to keep the notes--because everything from the notes would have been entered into the report

Plus it prevents people outside of LE having knowledge about a crime that was committed---Say I work for a crime lab in Los Angeles as a csi---I work on a scene where a child was murdered and take personal notes to include that a baseball cap with a certain logo is found near the body---3 weeks later my home is broken into and my notebooks are stolen---2 days later the main suspect in the investigation is murdered

It could be argued that whoever stole my notebooks recognized the baseball cap described in them as belonging to the suspect and they were murdered based on that information

Excellent point...or an unscrupulous acquaintance could make copies of your notes and sell them to the Examiner for $500,000. :eek: I think it's an excellent policy. When I worked security for a school system, we weren't supposed to keep any notes in our personal file. We would refer to them for official reports we were required to file, then we would be required to bring them to the secretary so they would be shred. So, I don't see where this would be an uncommon policy where sensitive material is concerned.

Could be or maybe JB was just more comfortable speaking to GB since they are both clear on how to pronounce GB's first name?

Maybe I interpreted it wrong but it seemed to me like JB was trying to point out a Hispanic kinship to GB. So maybe JB figured he could get farther with a fellow Hispanic than questioning his Caucasian supervisor.

JMHO as always.

I also wondered about the Hispanic kinship thing. Did seem to me that JB tried to buddy up to him in the beginning...just like he did the Spanish Language reporter in that one press conference...I guess he was hoping for some good press since he addressed her in Spanish. GB was great though...very professional and didn't allow JB to intimidate or cajole at all.

If this was an example of how inept JB is going to be with witnesses, we are in for a verrryyyyyyy long trial.

jmo of an observation...

ITA- I caught that little bit of theater right away- I'm tellin' ya..JB has delusions of going into politics after he becomes a hero to the Hispanic community as a champion of the underdog and gaining the release of his poor innocent client KC, who has been so unfairly targeted by the "man", as are his Hispanic brothers and sisters.....(please note the word DELUSIONS)

If I were in the business and asked to preserve my notes, I would feel sorry for whoever had to go through them later. Somehow my doodling ends up on everything. Then I guess JB would call me to the stand and question me on the hidden codes of all those w

wierd shaped boxes in the margins. Seriously, if investigations had to keep handwritten notes, it would take a lot of money to build a lot of extra buildings all over the nation to house them. In today's world, transferring notes to the computer is expected in any business. There are so many areas where JB's inexperience just glares.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back