Armchair psych profile and personal background

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found this past tweet from LM

I just finished watching "The Good Son" I remember as a child I would watch this film over and over again. What a thrill!

Has anyone seen this movie?

Of course, I've seen "The Good Son" a few times. Who doesn't love a good Macaulay Culkin film?

What info are you curious about Mbshafeena?

Btw, "Party Monster" is another Macaulay Culkin film which I've thought of several times since this horrific crime occurred.

I've seen it and was so disturbed I almos turned it off. The kid in it was evil. To me for some reason there's something more disturbing about psychological evil than outright gore in movies. I think it's the fact that one lurks beneath the surface and the other is easily apparent.

It is worth noting that that movie didn't come out until 1993 and a lot could have happened to him inthe 11 years prior. However, the fact he watched it again and again makes it sound like he identified with it. Disturbing.
Was that the movie with Culkin in it? His bad acting (as usual) took away any sense of realism that would have made it disturbing to me.

Was that the movie with Culkin in it? His bad acting (as usual) took away any sense of realism that would have made it disturbing to me.

He was good in Party Monster. If you haven't seen it, check it out; there is a lot of what Magnotta may have wanted to be showcased...

Btw, you didn't think Home Alone, Home Alone 2 or Richie Rich were realistic? I thought they were documentaries... LOL

Of course, I've seen "The Good Son" a few times. Who doesn't love a good Macaulay Culkin film?

What info are you curious about Mbshafeena?

Btw, "Party Monster" is another Macaulay Culkin film which I've thought of several times since this horrific crime occurred.

Not curious as much as shocked that LM seemed to love that movie as a kid. Wondering if he fantasized at that time of doing something like that to his family.

Haha yes, I was pretty young and naive then though, so even he bad acting probably escaped me.

Really? Was Ted Bundy an abused child? Scott Peterson? Casey Anthony? Russell Williams? I suggest you do a little research and you will find that many psychopaths had/have better than average upbringings.

One symptom that does come out is their hatred for their mothers. I don't know why that is.

Actually, it seems that Ted Bundy was likely mentally and verbally abused, at the very least. His childhood was far from idyllic.

http://www.psychwiki.com/wiki/221754503-Intergenerational_Transmissions

As for the others, who really knows?
There are always exceptions.
But yes--the hatred for their mothers--that is a "theme" that seems to be prevalent. The reason may be that most seem to have controlling mothers.

He was good in Party Monster. If you haven't seen it, check it out; there is a lot of what Magnotta may have wanted to be showcased...

Btw, you didn't think Home Alone, Home Alone 2 or Richie Rich were realistic? I thought they were documentaries... LOL
I did like Party Monster, even though I thought his performance once again sucked! Plus the fact that even as a grown man he still looks like a 12 year old boy. It creeps me out. Although I sure wish I aged like him!

Not curious as much as shocked that LM seemed to love that movie as a kid. Wondering if he fantasized at that time of doing something like that to his family.

Haven't there been times that thoughts like that have crossed everyone's mind... :floorlaugh:

From what has been published by MSM about Magnotta's family: it seems like there were many members of the family that experienced difficulties in their life and made poor choices in life. Unfortunately, at this point, we don't know the factors which led to these difficulties and the possibilities are endless. However noting the family history of poor choices, we can unequivocally state that Magnotta is not responsible for the issues of his extended family peers as his Aunt would lead you to believe.

At this point the FACTS are: We know of no history of mental illness in his family. We have no proof that Magnotta is mentally ill.

The speculation is endless.... :floorlaugh:

That being said, if you haven't seen the Good Son; the beginning seems to take forever but if you are able to trudge through it, it gets better.

I did like Party Monster, even though I thought his performance once again sucked! Plus the fact that even as a grown man he still looks like a 12 year old boy. It creeps me out. Although I sure wish I aged like him!

There were a lot of talented makeup artists working on Party Monster... In person, Mac looks much more weathered... like an old catchers mitt... :floorlaugh:

As you've seen Party Monster, I'm curious if you thought Alig was mentally ill or was controlled by his addictions or was it something else? I'd be thrilled to gain your thoughts (and anyone that has seen the film or are very familiar with Michael Alig).

Maybe it is the way Angel is dismembered that I find myself comparing Magnotta and Alig but it could be more as I keep going back to that point of reference...

Originally Posted by Mbshafeena

I don't think it would be unusual if an abused child fantasized about killing his/her parents. The accrued rage left to foment can find an outlet in the imagination. I only read the brief synopsis about the movie but it doesn't seem as if Macaulay's character, Henry, was abused. Regardless I figure that making that movie was very cathartic for Macaulay since he had highly publicized discord with his parents.

Brian Blackwell (born 1986) is an English murderer. He killed his parents - 72-year-old Brian and 61-year-old Jacqueline - at their home in Melling, a village in the northern suburbs of Liverpool, England, on 25 July 2004. Medical experts have since diagnosed Blackwell as having narcissistic personality disorder, which is characterised by extreme feelings of self-importance, a high need for admiration, and a lack of empathy.
Blackwell was described as an "exemplary student" at Liverpool College and nicknamed "Brains" by his family. He created a web of lies about his life, including claiming he was a professional tennis player. To support his claims of wealth, he applied for thirteen credit cards in his father's name. He killed his parents after they became suspicious about his increasingly lavish lifestyle and began asking him questions about it. [1] He beat both with a claw hammer and stabbed them repeatedly. After the killings, he took his girlfriend Amal on holiday to New York, USA, where he spent £30,000, including the bill for a three night stay in the presidential suite at the Plaza Hotel. A week later he returned to school and found that he had earned As in all of his A-levels, which would have gained him a place at the University of Nottingham to study medicine in October. However, the decomposing bodies of his parents were found in September. The attacks were so severe that investigators initially thought the couple had been shot.
During an interview, Blackwell claimed he knew nothing of his parents' deaths and was on holiday when they were murdered. After two days of questioning, Blackwell's story began to change. He confessed to the murders and claimed that he had acted in self-defence. According to Blackwell, he was holding a claw hammer for hanging a picture on the wall when his father stood up to hit him. Investigators had previously learned that Blackwell's father had been struck on the back of the head while sitting down, which conflicts with Blackwell's claim of self-defence. Afterwards, according to Blackwell, his mother came in, and he attacked her.
Blackwell was charged with murder and was due to stand trial; however, that charge was dropped after he pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter on the ground of diminished responsibility after experts diagnosed him to have narcissistic personality disorder. An episode of narcissistic rage can occur when the narcissist is perceivably being prevented from accomplishing their grandiose fantasies.[2] Blackwell was sentenced to life imprisonment on 29 June 2005. This was the first case in an English court where narcissistic personality disorder had been found to be a defence to murder.

See psychosis for more info.

Uhmmm - yes, I know a great deal about psychosis and about Charles Manson and other psychopaths.

My work involves murderers - young offenders aged 7 - 17.

The abrupt manner of the post in the quote confuses me........:bricks: :cheers: :bricks:

Blackwell was charged with murder and was due to stand trial; however, that charge was dropped after he pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter on the ground of diminished responsibility after experts diagnosed him to have narcissistic personality disorder. An episode of narcissistic rage can occur when the narcissist is perceivably being prevented from accomplishing their grandiose fantasies.[2] Blackwell was sentenced to life imprisonment on 29 June 2005. This was the first case in an English court where narcissistic personality disorder had been found to be a defence to murder.

Great find! I am confused, not about the defense of a narcissistic outburst, but about regards to how the diagnosis helped him other then to make his charge a lesser crime? He still was sentenced to life in prison. Would he have faced a death penalty otherwise?

Great find! I am confused, not about the defense of a narcissistic outburst, but about regards to how the diagnosis helped him other then to make his charge a lesser crime? He still was sentenced to life in prison. Would he have faced a death penalty otherwise?

Not sure because this didn't happen in Canada. There was talk at first that he was going to be charged with second degree murder, LM that is, and then it was changed to first degree. I am wondering if the Crown thought it was prudent to do so to ensure that they could at least get a conviction of second or manslaughter at least depending on what his defense came up regarding mental illness. The Crown wants to ensure, I think, that he does serve jail time versus being remanded to a psychiatric facility. Jmoo

At the pre-trial the Crown will present what evidence they have and their witnesses that will be used. The defense will have time to go over the evidence and based on that will discuss with LM if he should continue to plead not guilty or if the Crown brings to the table a plea bargain, lesser sentence, if LM pleads guilty to a lesser charge of 2nd degree murder or manslaughter. It may mean the difference of never getting out of prison on a first degree charge versus getting out for sure after 25 years or less. If this happens there will be no trial.

You are right, not everyone who was abused becomes a psychopath, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a psychopath who wasn't abused.

Yes, agreed. I remember reading about Dahmer and was wondering if he was abused. Abuse is kind of a relative term. His parents never
'abused" him outright but they fought a lot and he maybe was neglected because of the fighting. Apparently he was bullied in school and told to suck it up. I believe he had a brother as well and growing up in the same household, he wasn't a serial killer. Parents fighting and school bullying are so common with so many people, but I'm starting to believe you have to be born a certain way for your defense mechanisms for survival kick in to the point that you've lost all empathy for others.

He did talk about his mindset and crimes, and he said he was never sexually abused as a child. So how does his history translate to killing and eating his victims? Can people just be born with a screw loose that allows them to let evil enter into their lives? If you look at dogs, for instance, some are naturally dominant and aggressive, but most can be trained to obey if properly trained. But once in a while, there are some that just can't be trained. It begs the question, is this just a natural, but rare phenomenon?

@Mbshafeena

Ah, okay. I'm in the US, so am pretty clueless as to how our neighbors to the north run their legal system? I don't expect you to know England's legal system when I don't know yours. Very interesting article all the same. Do you believe that type of defense could be used in Canada and actually have an impact on reducing LM's sentence? I don't believe the narcissistic outburst defense would work in the US court system...chances are the prisons are saturated with narcissists, antisocials, sociopaths and psychopaths. If they all get reduced sentences for their "fits of rage" the streets would be a lot less safe IMO.

Brian Blackwell (born 1986) is an English murderer. He killed his parents - 72-year-old Brian and 61-year-old Jacqueline - at their home in Melling, a village in the northern suburbs of Liverpool, England, on 25 July 2004. Medical experts have since diagnosed Blackwell as having narcissistic personality disorder, which is characterised by extreme feelings of self-importance, a high need for admiration, and a lack of empathy.
Blackwell was described as an "exemplary student" at Liverpool College and nicknamed "Brains" by his family. He created a web of lies about his life, including claiming he was a professional tennis player. To support his claims of wealth, he applied for thirteen credit cards in his father's name. He killed his parents after they became suspicious about his increasingly lavish lifestyle and began asking him questions about it. [1] He beat both with a claw hammer and stabbed them repeatedly. After the killings, he took his girlfriend Amal on holiday to New York, USA, where he spent £30,000, including the bill for a three night stay in the presidential suite at the Plaza Hotel. A week later he returned to school and found that he had earned As in all of his A-levels, which would have gained him a place at the University of Nottingham to study medicine in October. However, the decomposing bodies of his parents were found in September. The attacks were so severe that investigators initially thought the couple had been shot.
During an interview, Blackwell claimed he knew nothing of his parents' deaths and was on holiday when they were murdered. After two days of questioning, Blackwell's story began to change. He confessed to the murders and claimed that he had acted in self-defence. According to Blackwell, he was holding a claw hammer for hanging a picture on the wall when his father stood up to hit him. Investigators had previously learned that Blackwell's father had been struck on the back of the head while sitting down, which conflicts with Blackwell's claim of self-defence. Afterwards, according to Blackwell, his mother came in, and he attacked her.
Manslaughter got him life in prison??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members