Greta Van Susteren has abruptly gone from Fox News

AlwaysShocked

Reaction score
[video]http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/06/media/greta-van-susteren-leaving-fox-news/index.html[/video]

"A sharp knock on the door signaled that Greta Van Susteren's time on Fox News Channel was over.

A courier arrived at Van Susteren's Washington, D.C. home at 9 a.m. Tuesday, hand-delivering two letters that said that Van Susteren "was being taken off the air" immediately, according to her husband, John Coale, who is a high-profile Washington lawyer.

Van Susteren was already planning to leave, but she thought she would be hosting her 7 p.m. program "On the Record" for a few more weeks.

Yanking her off the air without a chance to say goodbye was "a bit immature," Coale remarked.

It was also a message from Rupert Murdoch.

Van Susteren has been one of the top anchors at Fox News for the past 14 years.

Murdoch, the patriarch of Fox's parent company 21st Century Fox, disliked her recent attempt to renegotiate her contract, and the unusual courier visit was a result of that, said one of the sources interviewed for this story.

The messy breakup is the latest sign of tension -- "chaos," according to Coale -- behind the scenes at Fox News.

Coale said Tuesday afternoon that there's "possible litigation in the future" between Van Susteren and Fox. He declined to elaborate."

I was very surprised to see this, in light of her show being one of the highest rated shows on the Fox News nework.

There will be other opportunities for her.
Greta is a smart cookie.
Run, run, Woman.

Now she and John can both chase ambulances again. She will survive. According to her, she quit.

[video]http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/06/media/greta-van-susteren-leaving-fox-news/index.html[/video]

"A sharp knock on the door signaled that Greta Van Susteren's time on Fox News Channel was over.

A courier arrived at Van Susteren's Washington, D.C. home at 9 a.m. Tuesday, hand-delivering two letters that said that Van Susteren "was being taken off the air" immediately, according to her husband, John Coale, who is a high-profile Washington lawyer.

Van Susteren was already planning to leave, but she thought she would be hosting her 7 p.m. program "On the Record" for a few more weeks.

Yanking her off the air without a chance to say goodbye was "a bit immature," Coale remarked.

It was also a message from Rupert Murdoch.

Van Susteren has been one of the top anchors at Fox News for the past 14 years.

Murdoch, the patriarch of Fox's parent company 21st Century Fox, disliked her recent attempt to renegotiate her contract, and the unusual courier visit was a result of that, said one of the sources interviewed for this story.

The messy breakup is the latest sign of tension -- "chaos," according to Coale -- behind the scenes at Fox News.

Coale said Tuesday afternoon that there's "possible litigation in the future" between Van Susteren and Fox. He declined to elaborate."

I was very surprised to see this, in light of her show being one of the highest rated shows on the Fox News nework.

Thanks for this I knew she had left suddenly but not about this. It doesn't seem they treat their talent that well behind the scenes. Apparently their is a clause in her contract that she could leave within a certain number of days of Roger Ailes leaving. Bill O'reilly has the same clause apparently. Greta is a nice lady very fair in her interviews I found. Bill is keen to leave soon I've read. Megyn Kelly's contract is up soon too she wants a pay bump from her current $9 million dollars to Bill's $15 million whether she will get it I don't know.

I saw Gretchen Carlson settled her sexual harassment lawsuit today for $20 million. I wonder how this will impact the Andrea Tantaros lawsuit.

From Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...us_57cec75ae4b078581f13e80f?0b7rv7aisqi05p14i

NEW YORK ― “Greta Van Susteren left Fox News on Tuesday after 14 years at the network, an abrupt departure that comes with just two months left before the 2016 election.

It’s highly unusual for a network host to leave so suddenly, and the move was announced right after 21st Century Fox settled a lawsuit with former Fox News host Gretchen Carlson.

Carlson filed a sexual harassment lawsuit in July against Fox News chairman Roger Ailes that opened the floodgates to more than 20 women reportedly coming forward, including primetime star Megyn Kelly. Within weeks, Ailes resigned in disgrace from the top-rated cable network he launched and led for two decades.

Van Susteren said in a Facebook post she informed Fox News management on Thursday night that she was leaving, but she indicated she’d been considering the move for some time.”​

Maybe she thought she could quit and stick around for a couple of weeks to say bye, bye. Employers these days (especially media employers) don't seem to be inclined to let that happen. So far, the Roger Ailes thing has cost Fox at least 60 million. Maybe Greta and John think they can get another 10 or 20 out of Fox? Just think what the Scientologists could do with even a portion of that amount of money.

Greta has always been a great supporter of other women in the field which is why I was surprised when she publically supported Roger Ailes when Gretchen made her claims. She has always seemed loyal to her friends so maybe she just wasn't that cozy with Gretchen. I dunno. She said a few weeks ago that she could always just go teach law at George Washington University. So, now, maybe she will do just that.

From Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...us_57cec75ae4b078581f13e80f?0b7rv7aisqi05p14i

NEW YORK ― “Greta Van Susteren left Fox News on Tuesday after 14 years at the network, an abrupt departure that comes with just two months left before the 2016 election.

It’s highly unusual for a network host to leave so suddenly, and the move was announced right after 21st Century Fox settled a lawsuit with former Fox News host Gretchen Carlson.

Carlson filed a sexual harassment lawsuit in July against Fox News chairman Roger Ailes that opened the floodgates to more than 20 women reportedly coming forward, including primetime star Megyn Kelly. Within weeks, Ailes resigned in disgrace from the top-rated cable network he launched and led for two decades.

Van Susteren said in a Facebook post she informed Fox News management on Thursday night that she was leaving, but she indicated she’d been considering the move for some time.”​

Maybe she thought she could quit and stick around for a couple of weeks to say bye, bye. Employers these days (especially media employers) don't seem to be inclined to let that happen. So far, the Roger Ailes thing has cost Fox at least 60 million. Maybe Greta and John think they can get another 10 or 20 out of Fox? Just think what the Scientologists could do with even a portion of that amount of money.

Greta has always been a great supporter of other women in the field which is why I was surprised when she publically supported Roger Ailes when Gretchen made her claims. She has always seemed loyal to her friends so maybe she just wasn't that cozy with Gretchen. I dunno. She said a few weeks ago that she could always just go teach law at George Washington University. So, now, maybe she will do just that.

It's amazing the difference between how people like Anna Kooiman quit and stay a few weeks and are given a fond farewell and people like Greta quit and it is with immediate effect with no fond farewell. There must be a lot of tension behind the scenes at the moment with people leaving, contracts up for renewal, personalities positioning themselves for more airtime and the sexual harassment lawsuits.

After Greta left CNN, she went on to speak negatively of it off and on for a number of years.
Here is a NYTimes article from 2002 that talks about her leaving CNN:

MEDIA; Before Going, Van Susteren Told CNN of Hurt Feelings
By JIM RUTENBERG
Published: January 28, 2002

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/28/b...g-van-susteren-told-cnn-of-hurt-feelings.html

“Just why did Greta Van Susteren leave CNN for the Fox News Channel when CNN had offered her more money to stay?

The answers might be found in an angry letter sent by Ms. Van Susteren's husband and lawyer, John Coale, to CNN's chairman, Walter Isaacson, before she announced her move earlier this month.

The contents were shared with The New York Times by several people who have seen it. It shows how feelings -- so easily bruised in television -- can turn one network's disaffected anchor into another's star personality. It also demonstrates how changes at CNN are rattling some troops.

CNN executives were surprised when Ms. Van Susteren decided to leave the network and did not want her to go. But they had paved the way, in part, by showering attention on the network's new star anchors, Paula Zahn and Aaron Brown, while depriving Ms. Van Susteren of the care and feeding top anchors expect, people close to the situation said.”​

Much more...

Sort of deja vu, all over again. Substitute Megyn Kelly for Paula Zahn, etc., etc.

I wonder if in the future we will see Van Susteren involved in Trump's rumored post Presidential bid media network, or, perhaps she will go work for Scientology. Damaged goods, coming from Fox.

As with Nancy Grace, I didn't realize that GVS was still hosting a news program. Last time I watched her was during the Natalee Holloway saga which was 11 years ago. Was Greta still covering crime news, or was her show primarily politics? I always thought that was the route she'd take.

As with Nancy Grace, I didn't realize that GVS was still hosting a news program. Last time I watched her was during the Natalee Holloway saga which was 11 years ago. Was Greta still covering crime news, or was her show primarily politics? I always thought that was the route she'd take.

Hi BetteDavisEyes she did both she covered the police shootings and other major crimes extensively as well as politics. Greta's specials & updates about Tara Grinstead, Jennifer Keese & Natalie and others were well made.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back