'Boobies' bracelet fight could go to Supreme Court

TrackerSam

Reaction score
A Penn. school board voted to appeal a federal appeals court's decision rejecting its claim that "I (heart) Boobies!" bracelets are lewd and should be banned.

EASTON, Pa. — The court battle between two girls and their Pennsylvania school over "I (heart) Boobies!" bracelets could be settled by the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Easton Area School District board voted 7-1 Tuesday night to appeal a federal appeals court's decision that rejected its claim the bracelets are lewd and should be banned from school.

An attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, which helped the girls challenge the rule, said Tuesday night the school had been hinting that it would petition the Supreme Court.

"I'm just really surprised that they're so determined to fight this speech case of all speech cases," said Mary Catherine Roper. "(The bracelets) didn't cause any problems in the school."

The lone board member to vote against the appeal said the district should just drop the matter.

"I think we should be done with it. Let it go. We lost 20, 30 times, I don't even know anymore," Pintabone said.

Easton is one of several school districts around the country to ban the bracelets, which are distributed by the nonprofit Keep A Breast Foundation of Carlsbad, Calif.

http://news.msn.com/us/boobies-bracelet-fight-could-go-to-supreme-court

I hate how a deadly disease has been sexualized. The whole idea behind it just makes it sick. These organizations/campaigns ignore the woman behind the breasts. So although I don't think it's lewd, I'm rooting for the school district.

I don't see it as creating a problem but trying to solve one. I hope the school loses yet again.

I hate how a deadly disease has been sexualized. The whole idea behind it just makes it sick. These organizations/campaigns ignore the woman behind the breasts. So although I don't think it's lewd, I'm rooting for the school district.

My daughter told me that on facebook they had a thing going on where all these girls were saying go bra less on OCT 13th for breast cancer. She said some women wrote back saying how very tacky and cruel it was really since most women who had breast cancer had to have their breasts removed and did not think it was right. They felt it was like a slap in the face. I do have to agree, it is tacky. My mother in law lost her breasts due to breast cancer and I really think the last thing she would like is a bunch of bra-less women, its almost like mocking her.
Seriously, do men go pantless for prostate cancer? I don't see how folks can think this is ok.

ITA. The focus should be about saving lives, not "boobies."

IMO the bracelets are an innocent way to bring light to the cause and MONEY.

Breast cancer is a serious cancer. It can also affect men. However, the cancer that kills the most for both men and women is lung cancer.

Leading Causes of Cancer Death Among Women
Lung cancer (37.9)
Breast cancer (21.9)
Colorectal cancer (13.0)

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/data/women.htm

Leading Causes of Cancer Death Among Men
Lung cancer (60.1)
Prostate cancer (21.8)
Colorectal cancer (18.7)

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/data/men.htm

Male Breast Cancer
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/male-breast-cancer/DS00661

Seriously, do men go pantless for prostate cancer? I don't see how folks can think this is ok.

You mean 'commando' (without underwear). No one's suggesting they shouldn't wear shirts. But if going without pants raises money to beat prostate cancer then the next sound you'll hear is us unzipping our pants.

You mean 'commando' (without underwear). No one's suggesting they shouldn't wear shirts. But if going without pants raises money to beat prostate cancer then the next sound you'll hear is us unzipping our pants.

LOL, I have no problems with raising money for awareness, I just sometimes feel the way people try to raise awareness is offensive. Going braless does not raise money it just seems a way to seek attention. Boobie bracelets don't really bother me but it seems somewhat Tacky as in the name itself. My hubby always calls October Booby awareness month but it doesn't make it right. I can guarantee you he would not say such things around my mom, or even some other women.

Honestly, Don't school districts have better things to worry about and fight over... like the QUALITY (or lack thereof) of education they are giving our students.

Give me a break. What a waste of time and money.

I have five women in my family who have had their breasts removed because of active cancer or carrying the gene- one has died.

The women in my family think this "Booby" campaign is a great way to get younger kids to think and care about the issue. I agree.

My daughter told me that on facebook they had a thing going on where all these girls were saying go bra less on OCT 13th for breast cancer. She said some women wrote back saying how very tacky and cruel it was really since most women who had breast cancer had to have their breasts removed and did not think it was right. They felt it was like a slap in the face. I do have to agree, it is tacky. My mother in law lost her breasts due to breast cancer and I really think the last thing she would like is a bunch of bra-less women, its almost like mocking her.

I so agree. As a breast cancer survivor, these kinds of tacky campaigns are hurtful. As for raising funds, I've not heard of any donations made to any organizations on behalf of these campaigns. Most breast cancer research (about $1 billion per year) comes from the federal government. You're already supporting research when you pay your taxes.

I support National Breast Cancer Coalition's Breast Cancer Deadline 2020. We need real prevention and cures fast. I prefer to donate to advocacy programs that push government and research institutions to find cures.

http://www.breastcancerdeadline2020.org/

BettyP! So glad you beat cancer and thank you for sharing the link! God bless you my dear~ Katrina

Breast cancer is a serious cancer. It can also affect men. However, the cancer that kills the most for both men and women is lung cancer.

Leading Causes of Cancer Death Among Women
Lung cancer (37.9)
Breast cancer (21.9)
Colorectal cancer (13.0)

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/data/women.htm

Leading Causes of Cancer Death Among Men
Lung cancer (60.1)
Prostate cancer (21.8)
Colorectal cancer (18.7)

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/data/men.htm

Male Breast Cancer
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/male-breast-cancer/DS00661

Exactly, but lungs aren't as sexy (sheesh)... That being said, I hope the school wins. I agree with those who have stated that this is really sexualizing a deadly disease and, you can bet your a$$, if cancer of the penis (yes I mean penis, not prostrate...) was a common and serious health issue among men and "I love dicks!" bracelets/t-shirts/bumper stickers were being worn or displayed, people would certainly see that very differently and put a stop to it. JMO ~

I don't get these parochial cancer campaigns. Shouldn't we be pooling all our money to find a cure for cancer no matter what part of the body it's in?

I don't get these parochial cancer campaigns. Shouldn't we be pooling all our money to find a cure for cancer no matter what part of the body it's in?

Yes and no. Traditionally, one group used to handle campaigns for all cancers. They weren't (and still aren't) very effective in their efforts. After a couple of generations, some cancer survivors decided to strike out on their own. A new generation of cancer advocacy groups came into being, the most effective ones run my survivors themselves.

Cancer is a set of different neoplastic diseases. The means to address cures, prevention, etc. vary widely. Different cancer groups have different goals to address.

Exactly, but lungs aren't as sexy (sheesh)... That being said, I hope the school wins. I agree with those who have stated that this is really sexualizing a deadly disease and, you can bet your a$$, if cancer of the penis (yes I mean penis, not prostrate...) was a common and serious health issue among men and "I love dicks!" bracelets/t-shirts/bumper stickers were being worn or displayed, people would certainly see that very differently and put a stop to it. JMO ~

Except that we all have *advertiser censored* and some men do get breast cancer. The school has fought this and lost many times. It's free speech and they can't put a stop to it. Booby is also a bird as Standreid has mentioned and is not a 'bad' word.
You don't have to get behind them, just get out of their way. They're trying to raise money for a good cause.

I agree, it would be like having an event to benefit amputees and asking all participants to wear shorts and show off their sexy/muscular legs. Really bad taste.

IMO the bracelets are an innocent way to bring light to the cause and MONEY.

I agree.

How many school kids are going to care about breast cancer if none of their relatives were personally affected by it? Most people who get it are older. A bracelet like this probably gets more attention from teenagers and let them know that it can happen to them too, either later on or even early, so they may be more inclined to pay attention to any symptoms.

To me it would be like a campaign for PCOS that said 'I (heart) ovaries'. A humorous way to draw attention so people know it's a real thing and will read about the symptoms and be more aware.

It's not a big deal to me, it seems different from someone selling bracelets saying that for sexual reasons which would be inappropriate in a school setting and probably count as objectification.

I've lost a few older relatives to breast cancer so I think something that will get teenagers thinking - and in turn help them or help them help their relatives - is important. If I didn't know people so close to me who had it I would probably be unaware of its symptoms and that I should get checked out if they happen and especially once I reach a certain age.

:twocents:

EDIT: That said I can see how this could be offensive so all in all I don't think they should have done it. However I think that just selling sorry and pulling them from sale would be enough. Free speech has its limits so if it was something the teachers felt was disruptive or more importantly something that a breast cancer sufferer thought was rude, if I was one of the kids selling them I would have backed off. Surely there could have been found a compromise on both sides that wouldn't have taken things so far.

If I correctly recall, this began in a middle school where kids are adjusting to the opposite sex. There were probably a few chuckles before someone reported the bracelets to an administrator. When they were banned, wearing the bracelets became an obsession, flowing to other schools in the district.

IMO it would have been much better to let the bracelets go. My guess is by now the novelty would have worn off, and the kids would have moved on.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittinvestigates4u
Back