GA - Atlanta Garbage man jailed for working too early

Yoda

Master
Reaction score
Garbage man jailed for 30 days because he came to work too EARLY and annoyed residents of wealthy Atlanta suburb

• Kevin McGill, 48, violated ordinance banning trash collection before 7am
  • He will spend this weekend and the next 13 in jail after receiving 30 days
  • McGill had no lawyer when he went to Sandy Springs, Georgia, courthouse
  • 'Company representative accompanied him' and expected up to $1000 fine
  • Father of two and new attorney have filed motion to withdraw guilty plea
  • Residents called 9-1-1 when they heard early garbage pickup services
  • Suburb has privatized almost all of its services, including court system
:thud:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...essional-athletes-rap-star.html#ixzz3TkugQItQ

How can a neighborhood privatize its court system? I'm sure it's possible. I just don't think it should be allowed.

I hope no garbage company bids for their next contract. Let these wealthy residents haul their own trash to the dump.

Calling 911 for such a reason should result in a fine and/or other consequences for the caller. Ridiculous.

How can a neighborhood privatize its court system? I'm sure it's possible. I just don't think it should be allowed.

Probably run by the same people who run the private prisons. Got to fill up those jail cells, if you are going to make money.:jail:

How can a neighborhood privatize its court system? I'm sure it's possible. I just don't think it should be allowed....

Good question, Miss M.

Sandy Springs pop.~ 99,000+. First, not a 'neighborhood' but an incorporated municipality,
per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Springs,_Georgia
"The referendum was held on June 21, 2005, and residents voted 94% to 6% in favor of incorporation." BBM SBM
I wondered if Daily Mail got something confused in translation -
you know, between Americun speaking across the pond and Queens' English.
From what I'm seeing here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Springs,_Georgia well, IDK???

"Services
"Sand
y Springs, at first glance, appears to be run just like other similarly sized cities, with a council-manager form of government. However, most city services are performed in a public-private partnership. All but the most essential services are outsourced to private contractors. Sandy Springs is believed to be the first American city to outsource its services to such a great extent.[SUP][32][/SUP][SUP]" ([/SUP][SUP]per ^ wiki)
[/SUP]
[SUP]https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/business/a-georgia-town-takes-the-peoples-business-private.html. [/SUP]
[SUP]Nothing, spec'ly re muni ct system being privatized. ht[/SUP]tp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Springs,_Georgia

This NYTimes article from 2012 pretty much explains it all:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/b...-takes-the-peoples-business-private.html?_r=0

A Georgia Town Takes the People’s Business Private
By DAVID SEGALJUNE 23, 2012

SANDY SPRINGS, Ga.

IF your image of a city hall involves a venerable building, some Roman pillars and lots of public employees, the version offered by this Atlanta suburb of 94,000 residents is a bit of a shocker.

The entire operation is housed in a generic, one-story industrial park, along with a restaurant and a gym. And though the place has a large staff, none are on the public payroll. O.K., seven are, including the city manager. But unless you chance into one of them, the people you meet here work for private companies through a variety of contracts.

a business license? Speak to a woman with Severn Trent, a multinational company based in Coventry, England. Want to build a new deck on your house? Chat with an employee of the Collaborative, a consulting firm based in Boston. Need a word with people who oversee trash collection? That would be the URS Corporation, based in San Francisco.

Even the city’s court, which is in session on this May afternoon, next to the revenue division, is handled by a private company, the Jacobs Engineering Group of Pasadena, Calif. The company’s staff is in charge of all administrative work, though the judge, Lawrence Young, is essentially a legal temp, paid a flat rate of $100 an hour.​

Long, good article. Very enlightning.

I hope no garbage company bids for their next contract. Let these wealthy residents haul their own trash to the dump.

Chiming in here as I live in the "other" privatized city in the Atlanta area. Both Sandy Springs and the city I live in are "new" cities. We were incorporated iirc in about 2007 or so? Anywhoo... most cities in my area have noise ordinances. It is not just the "rich" area of Sandy Springs, but most all cities within Atlanta...they say in their ordinances about noise.... prior to a certain time of day e.g. 7 am, and after a certain time of night e.g. 11 pm, that loud noises are not allowed. I would google to show, but think most of you would agree on that point.

I don't hold the city ordinances as to the issue here, yet as I believe noise ordinances are common. I think the person that did this perhaps challenged under that. Would love feedback though from fellow :websleuther:

What is the issue to me, IMHO, is that this was prosecuted and the person went to jail for trying to make a living perhaps, and not as it should have been as against the company as the company, they know better. They know the rules and that folks have complained on this. Same as folks having lawn services... they know not to do before 7 am.

I too have this company for my trash service, Waste Managment is the biggest in the Atlanta area. You can be sure that I am contacting them and calling them out on this. Perhaps their service manager should not have let the HUGE TRASH TRUCK out for service knowing that pretty much all cities that are suburbs to Atlanta have noise ordinances, and folks do NOT LIKE trash trucks when their children are at busstops. I know that is a big issue in my neighborhood, and perhaps the person that reported this it was their issue too. That is was their "real reason" as when it is dark before 7 am (well, was before change in daylight savings time) it is dangerous for the kids and the trucks??? Dunno as I don't have kids..but that is a biggggggggggggggggg issue here in my hood with the children and bus stops and children prior to daylight.

Nonetheless, I am going to send this to Waste Management right NOW asking for their response. I would have preferred that if this was prosecuted it would have been against the company, and not the employee, and would like to know more.

ETA: I have sent a question to Waste Management and will share response. Again, anyone can make a complaint. It's not due to being a wealthy subdivision IMHO but someone who did complain under an existing ordinance, which MANY cities have. 5 am? That may not have been due to children then....

:moo:

ETA#2: City of Atlanta noise ordinance which is the metro area states
(11) Commercial garbage collection. The servicing of a private, commercial garbage dumpster by any person using garbage collection vehicles and equipment within 1,500 feet of any multifamily dwelling, residential area or noise-sensitive area between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. on weekdays and between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 8:00 A.m. on weekends and holidays, or within 500 feet of any multi-family dwelling, residential area or noise-sensitive area, between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. on weekdays and between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. on weekends and holidays; however, this shall not apply to the collection of garbage from any establishment which has a plastic lid on its dumpster and where it has been determined by the commissioner of public works or designee that the collection of garbage during the establishment's hours of operation would be a safety hazard.
http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/atlanta.htm

#ETA#3 I am far from weathly, and at my age, I don't want to take the trash to my local dump because of the issue of this, sorry you feel this way towards such. I hope that I have given you a little bit of insight to hopefully make folks rethinks that all that get trash collection should be punished and have the wrath of others due to this situation.

I believe noise ordinances are common. I think the person that did this perhaps challenged under that....
prosecuted and the person went to jail for trying to make a living perhaps, and not as it should have been as against the company as the company, they know better. They know the rules and that folks have complained on this....
Nonetheless, I am going to send this to Waste Management right NOW asking for their response. I would have preferred that if this was prosecuted it would have been against the company, and not the employee, and would like to know more.
:moo:
sbm bbm

Had not thought about the school children safety issue around these trucks.

IIRC, the co - WMX -encountered this issue w Sandy Spgs before and paid a fine several yrs back.
Seems that would spur the city to specify as part of its RFP or more importantly, the contract itself,
the hours of collection, e.g., are to be done between X:00am and X:00pm, on specified days,
w a force majeur clause for exceptions.

As to recent situation, I'm wondering who set employee's schedule? Who allowed him to go out too early?
Did he decide that for himself? Guessing the co may carry more responsibility than him. (Or not?)

Residents using 911 to call LE about this? Really? Too busy to look up a city hall phone #?
Or do. they think noisy garbage trucks in their hood should take LE's priority over, say,
response to armed robberies & MV accidents? Well, okay then. [sarc & snarc]

sbm bbm

Had not thought about the school children safety issue around these trucks.

IIRC, the co - WMX -encountered this issue w Sandy Spgs before and paid a fine several yrs back.
Seems that would spur the city to specify as part of its RFP or more importantly, the contract itself,
the hours of collection, e.g., are to be done between X:00am and X:00pm, on specified days,
w a force majeur clause for exceptions.

As to recent situation, I'm wondering who set employee's schedule? Who allowed him to go out too early?
Did he decide that for himself? Guessing the co may carry more responsibility than him. (Or not?)

Residents using 911 to call LE about this? Really? Too busy to look up a city hall phone #?
Or do. they think noisy garbage trucks in their hood should take LE's priority over, say,
response to armed robberies & MV accidents? Well, okay then. [sarc & snarc]

If they are breaking a law (ordinance) why wouldn't they call 911?

For vehicle w loud music, loud passengers, no muffler, parked at end of my driveway at 5:00am
>a few minutes in dark, ok, I'm suspicious about intent, what are they going to do?
Tag graffiti? Stay there & be loud indefinitely? Break into houses? Vandalize? Ok, call 911.
One time, can be a matter for LE to resolve, in this circumstance. Poss public safety issue.

Trash collection truck? It's coming and going this a.m., but will be back later this week, this month, etc.
Could be a one-time thing or could happen every week in future.
Later in a.m., look up approp bus. dept at city, send email, tell of experience, ask for response.
Personally I don't want driver arrested and/or jailed. I want local co mgr and/or city hall to know and
make sure trucks are not rolling out before approp hours, so it does not happen again.
If it recurs, maybe diff approach, go up the chain - in co or city hall.

Both situations = ordinance violation, so LE may be contacted, even 911 for anyone who wants to call.
Reminds me of 911 calls where ppl at McD's call 911 because they can't get another pack of mayo.
There are better ways, imo, for person to seek resolution than requesting LE's immediate intervention.

JM2cts.

911 is for emergencies only. This is hardly an emergency and noone is hurt or in danger.
If they "break the law" call their supervisor, the city counsel and if so annoyed that nothing happens maybe even local police.

As stated before, a 911 call for this?! Person calling should be fined.

Imagine having a real emergency (like robbery, accident, house burning down) and noone answers your call because somewhere else someone is annoyed about their trash being collected too early in the morning...

911 is for emergencies only. This is hardly an emergency and noone is hurt or in danger....
As stated before, a 911 call for this?! Person calling should be fined....
Imagine having a real emergency (like robbery, accident, house burning down) and noone answers your call because somewhere else someone is annoyed about their trash being collected too early in the morning...
sbm bbm

Or at fast food restaurant, not getting extra pack of mayo or 2 more napkins
(Yes, I've read about 911 calls for both ^)

Garbage man who was sentenced to jail for coming to work too EARLY wins a reprieve

Kevin McGill, 48, violated ordinance banning trash collection before 7am

He was originally sentenced to 30 days in jail but charges were dropped

Sandy Springs Solicitors Office said said the charges were 'disproportionate to a first-time offense'

Residents called 9-1-1 when they heard early garbage pickup services

Suburb has privatized almost all of its services, including court system

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nts-wealthy-suburb-dropped.html#ixzz3TzAQJ33e

Kevin McGill's story is drawing national attention for the harsh treatment he got for his eager arrival to work each morning to pick up the garbage.

He got there at 5 a.m. to be exact.

McGill was cited by the city of Sandy Springs and then sentenced to 30 days in jail for violation city ordinance limiting trash pickup times between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

McGill says he was showing up early to avoid all the construction crews and their equipment that got in his way later in the morning.

Since the story went viral, the Sandy Springs solicitor sent out a statement:

There are times when taking a step back provides the opportunity for better perspective. In retrospect, the actions of the court with regards to Mr. McGill's sentence for violating the city's noise laws, was disproportionate to a first-time offense. As such, the court has amended its sentence to time served and further probation suspended.

City ordinances are implemented for the protection of quality of life within a community. The adherence to these laws is important, and the City is obligated to enforce these laws, which includes imposing sanctions against those individuals who break the law.

They excused McGill from any further disciplinary actions.

[video]http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/clip/11215750/garbage-man-speaks-out-on-arrest[/video] <<<--- video at link

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/28328286/city-rethinks-actions-against-garbage-man

Overturned.JPG

This solicitor, of a private court created by Kangaroos, only withdrew his sentence because of public outcry.

Does "disproportionate to a first time offense" imply he could get 30 days in jail for a second offence? Seems very possible considering the caliber of residents. You know they didn't learn anything about human decency and compassion. They'll quickly dial 911 if he shows up a even just a minute early in the future.

Love "protection of quality of life." Our noise ordinance is 8am. Garbage and recycling trucks come as early as 6am. My quality of life is just fine, and I'll bet my house is much closer to road noise than their houses are.

Story changes: initial rpts I saw gave no reason for his "eager arrival" and starting work early* implying unbounded enthusiasm.
Now appears (imo) he did it of his own volition, perhaps his own convenience. http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/28328286/city-rethinks-actions-against-garbage-man

How many employees set own flextime without supervisor's clearance?

Dont'cha think if he had cleared re-scheduled hours w his supervisor, he would have said something about that in ct proceedings?
IDK, maybe he 'took one for the team?' How was his supervisor left out of the process?
Did Mr. McG just zoom into the garage for many mornings on end, jump in truck & go, unnoticed by ofc personnel?
His supervisor did not notice anything on time records for payroll?

Seems unlikely to me, that 911 got call(s), dispatched LE, who then immed. cited/ticketed him for noise violations. Esp first couple times.
Did the beef go up chain at Waste Mgmt.? Maybe LE made no contact to supervisor at waste company, okay but ---
seems like rep for city or atty w/h/called or written supervisor, saying essentially - 'We're getting complaints; knock off early collections.'

Kinda sorta thinking there may be more to this but not yet released.

If Sandy Spgs contract w collection co. does not specify collection hours, maybe it will be amended now or renegotiated next time.
JM2cts.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

*. http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/28328286/city-rethinks-actions-against-garbage-man
"Kevin McGill's story.... he got for hiseager arrival to work each morning to pick up the garbage. He got there at 5 a.m. to be exact.
....violation city ordinance limiting trash pickup times between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.... says he was showing up early to avoid all the construction crews and their equipment that got in his way later in the morning
." bbm sbm

.... [sarc alert] you gotta hand it to myfoxatlanta for pix enlightening readers about garbage collection. The story behind the story.

Pre-collection, 2 actual WMX-issued garbage cans, plus a generic.

6953583_G.jpg

Post-collection, one generic garbage can.

6953581_G.jpg

Three cans, pre- or post-collection status unknown.

6953580_G.jpg

WMX(?) truck
6953587_G.jpg

Garbage truck, unknown collection co.
6953586_G.jpg

For more of these informative pix, go to http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/28328286/city-rethinks-actions-against-garbage-man
(No these captions were not printed w myfoxatlanta pix: added by me for W/S readers from another planet)

.... [sarc alert] you gotta hand it to myfoxatlanta for pix enlightening readers about garbage collection. The story behind the story.

Pre-collection, 2 actual WMX-issued garbage cans, plus a generic.

6953583_G.jpg

Post-collection, one generic garbage can.

6953581_G.jpg

Three cans, pre- or post-collection status unknown.

6953580_G.jpg

WMX(?) truck
6953587_G.jpg

Garbage truck, unknown collection co.
6953586_G.jpg

For more of these informative pix, go to http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/28328286/city-rethinks-actions-against-garbage-man
(No these captions were not printed w myfoxatlanta pix: added by me for W/S readers from another planet)

lol, I did something that I've never done before and have learned from other posters... I opened a second screen on the right of my computer and dragged the photos into another googleimages search screen - and dropped the photo into the search bar. Shows that these are merely generic photos that Fox posted from picking up from other sites. I now have a new skillset from my :websleuther: buddies! :biggrin:

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZiuflxxaXW4G_1w-VqElMe3kzsblw9ToLQj4doGCy0CYWeDg6uRDY3PcFCg6E_1i6XXT02jvbPUHas_1KwC3yDeKuwbUjMLThOpq80XiXZJy7fB0f_1uQXA_1UT4vqw90x-byDFeAcfRz78gDqgRub30_1c_1bmiQRsy-L8k56nMNgFSN3W5w2Uqnd8wwU_1iKiEjE9bY3bc8eaPRHlo859iQ5G8QEbtpWun77lXzpHBNAo75k4Qg6h_10-cEMa9vtdsD27NduZ2SeGkLa_1F_1HLQEHYgWt9QqtzlrwfTYTzD5EySLD6SaDVybT4_1_189WiFfmIBHswWFQQW_1XsI--1Uya6edfee0JzXAPZgaU9Pfcyc0c4c_1Co7zsXVlm-3DpecDVzubXN5MkXjfZ-7Ky-CEaCqucqtV5LVSgLYePim0gc_1epWxmQ6E0yO_1SJZnwwGp_18jBowpIHU8n2zKvFZTmHMik1A4F290casQfe0wM3yOWA8GkNVMegxgk24wyLeCBodDQIceaudZaO_12iZByH9KTpC2nam_1wtfwdldTrQ1ni-pSSMl-rw17Mwf9W4nyHIQhFBqTkf6alTNn6Sw8xjTOWvxBrkn2sFt5Jq-5w0D4mvXIj9ArD6U0eJU5mTwnw_133sytVmJhyfKRAjx5DM7NZXOuVpFTg18giOwOxPUNJcpwBiK9jLS2XjUs3Pilny9J3XRtwuP4FhTqlV_1qRZ841QxnkiLBLCqiMkFqPoZAPJyn59xvw9BDlMCMznh3WXxZ_1fWTcJI2SXTZXqMMSzUdJq8zydTyqUq9hgX--xH-7mgsGdwyfxd0ew-AxlJ57btbCoWD2D1_1xBGMUMkNXVeh-HDM5END2qsHX5otKiatxGvt0I-TYBLvPOydii0MqUnwDNrALmoHxQwLlVjBDN5anXflTEnDJSVQ9X0G7_1DGnhjY_1tMFGFepL9Tz3zy2EZ8cnA5qSswljqKh6rzPgpmspAec_1fgp74cC7jOjC1w8dYPg2t_1Ke-66YUaiF7HpMJiuwO2TIVtXFOsMwAPK87hgATqjTf9qf82vR_1bO93CXMP1u3dcmln71fpAUlqY5B6UR9kt6ArbosDShvnEQyGeBcu0omZa073_1CEcc2LpMn6uJgw5-k3ZRf7MSY1WoXY08caGZ5V5Y96CHhRo-0P-I5VL5iobS-7Cga9wudC6fngUp5ASpQnoqB7dTLy1jufgRan_1jHJFZygdO7M3-caQeCuBeJyCI0q_1HG2X2DWjRPcpMtHkpUNGF97HywxHlKq8R3U-UMVOE2-T9X2BPIOVZ30UtdSvyWf7cxfLIFjOZQEqZqdd63lW7lJ7-wT_1ea1Ula6YRq6NBNuq9wEoteCx1Qd9343xYySLW6p1cGBClcJqtAjP2zXV31EsN-lYGiUyx5AQTrwRhJXGji0aXvx0CVzyWC11rJRMITJb6i2HOmAHWOl8h9rb9jfengJt2BMtlCSLkJ_1WyRRrmEEVxZVfoukABDWVgKy2UqxQv_1wY5qdqNqVo8GI2mduhJgKHHyiI-dQNcbMp1s6s8KSr

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZivhlpqq9UZUym7EGimTpDda9HSk_17iQejphvl9sSteQHXdt8MUueRMfYGhvg9nmAx12eKqLQy70ulSPtwSUeFe7U5omMVssMf-sYLVHup1qiSAg5cJpyQkYBOBbGOeIOpnOuVXvq2z0csrX_18-HwXOThXcQw3R7HZAyBdIPk5pDJGmz64MfU8LL5NOkPRRTzff3ekmGqm-41OuBq6nHHFURUYbtUtmRivX3V_1AfzrEA_1IzFM7d2VSDdsQcmm_1AeCtUPvqYUJDsIHuLuk-zFVDBWFjj7ieRw4085HaTCHtAetLGs3xmVBNEDeGFwzJh6LjZ_1fCEzRqgJOSmwMrqzkAK4w7x3dzBmRuWw7UBLCPzC_100Bn9ihMSXvMG5qUxu-K8BZLnvxdO0c7CNsaKQJE2yZ7XWXkNFg25MrX132I7rJJinrunWW4I-Q4w4hiBVRr8OfqYLyRESCyazx_19NTx9rBttkrW2sG1ruEK8ZydMGiPGao7SR9v9ivpYeP4Y3BDcRLZbbUrqQBRz252M_1Fqx2fgCNBWfdATciQ3xluARywzERToU47ZLHMJp5m8tzs2QE1taWkIGvOcpIvJYglTqWo_1e4dtRrUz3fOIY3AiJbenC-WTjFdNgSOd2IxVOqh7nsuMBQtnSN3rfMYI1I0wLAiP95UVPTtN7IFmNMQQwdTYrWz7L9C0wJOzNCaszEEBUKMWblvnxTFkUPfAecGRYs0ZWz6ylIZkZxCvkFCxD2Ampm6Lp4pNfANibYYi2po19tj0hMQwL2Wpr-Tm8g7Jh439aNEbdWI7GpZz3ZMlf2xG5X2kcC5uMvTiAIOZLiJt3PBDNzeFC1GFcgl0OoV1E_1_1kYThAjK6PN3aSjM4m1jXduBUEjSoUgNTQBZgmaMnTXAdIhoM5R9ZI5q0T3QePCvVVo1DaoVTvZJ5OaQVqSIHeNCcO7Wb-hrXMXiIsacRFlHPY5pFyJ90RpLbkXOGL6h8XY1kimp1yewTpUp4KKeiwmit_1tWeKFi-1tHn3psiFa7U0a3LHr6iRiDPT63IpFB1wjsp63hJd36rc0yGZKKU3Fn-HnJZcH6RVwfDvQ2PtEgf2ZZaWOlE0GMYe38RAhZIzBqbbnaHO2wuimkogef8oj4hm1-KQtIP2ZxTx0awDQK-bscqxUeZjqzUJq0ZIZrtGsVwxwSy_1rGy3ORR6KS0kFWjr6tu3YYSOEwV7NsOeTSWPwHAQRr72lzdOghEQIe_19xgQLXpXV4_1Ezzm5oAsrutObKGuRuDMFfBvfDJ1b3RjhlaDMwggIq2zgs3F5ysfD7hP530dFvr-Rhl8Ta8yxGsKdjBLWht9gxVM4EM-obrW-YQofdsY4rYDlporclJZcWVTrbVnvj9dsS2naGBKvt5ISKXRfmv-b3hlZ94yf6F03jS9SAxUeP47-9cQml_1kFBua84z46czYn-wEComK-Mir3w7eWpbay8WkHXie_1GeigizF9nI-Muzp_1qwfqrBqSsNMjnw

I'll try that another time when we have screen shots (e.g. juror17 stuff :giggle:)

If it is a law, or a rule for the community, then go by it. You are hired by the residents. But, boy, isn't it easy to get ugly when its a bunch of 'wealthy residents' who have a problem. If this was the ghetto, then we'd all be waa-waa'ing that they only do this to poor people, it ain't fair.
Achieving the American dream, now just makes people not like you. (or they are jealous of you, but not PC to say that)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back