NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #2

Doggone,

You bring up an interesting point, and that's how did these people influence people far more powerful than themselves if indeed there was a cover up. As time has gone by, I've changed my mind about there even being a cover up, and have discounted that. I think it's far more likely the crime scene and evidence was contaminated, and thus the investigation was royally botched just like in Boulder CO., years later, and all due to a lack of proper training of recruits.

But let's take your supposition and run with it a bit. Were any of these people snitches for LE? Might they have had the goods on someone more powerful than themselves? It certainly wasn't that they had a lot of money and bought their way out. Were they owed any favors by anyone in authority in Carlsbad? Were they related to anyone in power, specifically the sheriff, the DA or the judge that would've presided over such a case? I know I've heard the rumors about a judge and Mrs. WB, but in order for there to be something to it, most likely the judge would've had to have been friends with the sheriff and or the DA. Then likely too, they'd need the cooperation of the pathologist, and the omission of evidence. The quickest way to a cover up and the easiest would be if a high ranking LEO committed the crime. It does seem odd that this crime happened exactly when there was a change in command in the sheriff's department. Still, the idea that a LEO did this is way, way down on my list. It can't be ignored, but we haven't seen anything that really points to that in the way of the citizens of the county totally up in arms, complaining of a corrupt sheriff's department. If that was indeed the case, then we need to widen our search for the killer.

In just reading backwards through all the data, one person has grabbed my attention. Actually there have been several, but this person in particular because of attempted associated crimes. He may have just been a total nut job, but I'd sure like to know who he is, and what became of him, and that's the 20 year old guy the Carlsbad Police took into custody after a 12 year old girl said he'd attempted to pick her up in the same neighborhood from which Mattie and Patty disappeared. He also confessed to an attempt to pick up another girl one week after the murders, and being a peeping tom. Hawkins didn't think the guy did it, and from the article it looks like the guy passed his polygraph, but Capt. Smith of CPD still thought they should delve more into this guy. His name wasn't mentioned in the articles I saw, and he was released to his parents with the agreement that he would be sent to Lovelace Clinic in Albuquerque for psychiatric testing. This is not the mentally challenged guy, BP that they held for 18 mos. This is someone else.

Link: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=88042
entry labeled: 14 Sep 1961 Albuquerque Journal NM Page B-7.jpg Originally there were 2 articles posted side by side, but since there is no credit given to the newspaper it appeared in, I won't post the second article. Anyone that wants a copy, just PM me and I will see that you get it. I do not see it listed in the list Cubby compiled from thread 1.

I'd also like to know if this is the same guy that buried the mutilated doll in the desert? Anyone know or know who he is? He was from Carlsbad, so a local. The doll was found before the girls were murdered.

Doggone,

You bring up an interesting point, and that's how did these people influence people far more powerful than themselves if indeed there was a cover up. As time has gone by, I've changed my mind about there even being a cover up, and have discounted that. I think it's far more likely the crime scene and evidence was contaminated, and thus the investigation was royally botched just like in Boulder CO., years later, and all due to a lack of proper training of recruits.

But let's take your supposition and run with it a bit. Were any of these people snitches for LE? Might they have had the goods on someone more powerful than themselves? It certainly wasn't that they had a lot of money and bought their way out. Were they owed any favors by anyone in authority in Carlsbad? Were they related to anyone in power, specifically the sheriff, the DA or the judge that would've presided over such a case? I know I've heard the rumors about a judge and Mrs. WB, but in order for there to be something to it, most likely the judge would've had to have been friends with the sheriff and or the DA. Then likely too, they'd need the cooperation of the pathologist, and the omission of evidence. The quickest way to a cover up and the easiest would be if a high ranking LEO committed the crime. It does seem odd that this crime happened exactly when there was a change in command in the sheriff's department. Still, the idea that a LEO did this is way, way down on my list. It can't be ignored, but we haven't seen anything that really points to that in the way of the citizens of the county totally up in arms, complaining of a corrupt sheriff's department. If that was indeed the case, then we need to widen our search for the killer.

In just reading backwards through all the data, one person has grabbed my attention. Actually there have been several, but this person in particular because of attempted associated crimes. He may have just been a total nut job, but I'd sure like to know who he is, and what became of him, and that's the 20 year old guy the Carlsbad Police took into custody after a 12 year old girl said he'd attempted to pick her up in the same neighborhood from which Mattie and Patty disappeared. He also confessed to an attempt to pick up another girl one week after the murders, and being a peeping tom. Hawkins didn't think the guy did it, and from the article it looks like the guy passed his polygraph, but Capt. Smith of CPD still thought they should delve more into this guy. His name wasn't mentioned in the articles I saw, and he was released to his parents with the agreement that he would be sent to Lovelace Clinic in Albuquerque for psychiatric testing. This is not the mentally challenged guy, BP that they held for 18 mos. This is someone else.

Link: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=88042
entry labeled: 14 Sep 1961 Albuquerque Journal NM Page B-7.jpg Originally there were 2 articles posted side by side, but since there is no credit given to the newspaper it appeared in, I won't post the second article. Anyone that wants a copy, just PM me and I will see that you get it. I do not see it listed in the list Cubby compiled from thread 1.

I'd also like to know if this is the same guy that buried the mutilated doll in the desert? Anyone know or know who he is? He was from Carlsbad, so a local. The doll was found before the girls were murdered.

Thank You Justthinkin
You are helpful ....and on top of this case. I appreciate all that you have done about keeping this case alive and investigated. Hopefully some answers will come your way with the questions you have asked.

And thank you, SS1950 for the compliment! Your sister's and Patty's case is never far from my mind. Not a day goes by that I don't think about their murders, and the fact they are still unsolved.

As you know, I lean towards DB being the one responsible, but I also want to know as much as possible about the others that were questioned, particularly the 20 yr. old who was running around attempting to pick up young girls. I once read that 87% of the time, the true perp is called in for questioning during the first weeks of any investigation. I thought that was a handy fact to always keep in mind.

I hope someone in Carlsbad remembers who that 20 yr. old guy was and comes forward with that info. We can then go from there.

And thank you, SS1950 for the compliment! Your sister's and Patty's case is never far from my mind. Not a day goes by that I don't think about their murders, and the fact they are still unsolved.

As you know, I lean towards DB being the one responsible, but I also want to know as much as possible about the others that were questioned, particularly the 20 yr. old who was running around attempting to pick up young girls. I once read that 87% of the time, the true perp is called in for questioning during the first weeks of any investigation. I thought that was a handy fact to always keep in mind.

I hope someone in Carlsbad remembers who that 20 yr. old guy was and comes forward with that info. We can then go from there.

I sometimes wonder if that was the only newspaper article about this guy trying to pick the girls up ? Maybe another town had something about the incident in their papers...Just a thought. Wish I was closer to CBad....I'd go look at the library there. Again thanks for the great information.

No, there are two articles about his release.

I'm wondering if we can get a hold of a 1961 phone book for Carlsbad or a City Directory for that year or the year before? Wonder if the library would have either of those? I found a few old time registered sex offenders in NM, and am wondering if any of them were living in Carlsbad when the girls were killed? Only one of the ones I found would have been 20 in Aug. of '61.

Justthinkin

I remember hearing talk about the other 20 year old back then, I can almost remember who he was. Think his last name may have been the same as one of the others interviewed during the days following the murders.

Will take me a few days but I think I can get articles from Current Argus 2 weeks prior to Murders and 2 weeks after. Possibly can find arrest article either before or after. I had my hands on all Current Argus from 40’s to 90’s at one time, still think I can get the dates I need.

Also, email me and let me know name you wish to find address for sex offender. Anything from 1939 to 2009. You should be able to get to my email address thru Websleuths.com

Justthinkin

I remember hearing talk about the other 20 year old back then, I can almost remember who he was. Think his last name may have been the same as one of the others interviewed during the days following the murders.

Will take me a few days but I think I can get articles from Current Argus 2 weeks prior to Murders and 2 weeks after. Possibly can find arrest article either before or after. I had my hands on all Current Argus from 40’s to 90’s at one time, still think I can get the dates I need.

Also, email me and let me know name you wish to find address for sex offender. Anything from 1939 to 2009. You should be able to get to my email address thru Websleuths.com
Thanks Doggone...appreciate your help. I planned a trip to Carlsbad last March but didn't get to come...so I'm at the mercy of others. Again thank you for the help. Justthinkin...please keep asking the questions...sometimes my brain just shuts down...and I can't think of anything to ask.....thanks for the support and hard work.
Hopefully we can get this 20 yr. old guy identified.

Doggone, I don't think WS will give out your email addy, but you can request to be allowed the use of PM. If that doesn't work, you can go to the games section on WS, play games until you have enough entries to allow you to utilize the PM feature.
jt

Doggone, I don't think WS will give out your email addy, but you can request to be allowed the use of PM. If that doesn't work, you can go to the games section on WS, play games until you have enough entries to allow you to utilize the PM feature.
jt

justthinkin, you should have 10 meg of files by now along with a little explanation of them. Let me know if you don't get them. Don't know if they will help but you never know what will ring the right bell.

I see what you are saying, Doggone, but just because there were no charges, doesn't necessarily mean he didn't do it, ya know?

I see what you are saying, Doggone, but just because there were no charges, doesn't necessarily mean he didn't do it, ya know?

Bumping for Mattie and Patty....
August 11, 1961 ....unsolved murder case of two beautiful young girls...please if anyone has information regarding this case ...please call the Eddy County Sheriff's Office in Carlsbad, New Mexico.....or share your information here on Websleuths.

Bumping for Mattie and Patty....
August 11, 1961 ....unsolved murder case of two beautiful young girls...please if anyone has information regarding this case ...please call the Eddy County Sheriff's Office in Carlsbad, New Mexico.....or share your information here on Websleuths.

Bumping for Mattie and Patty.

Bumping for Mattie and Patty.

Some good news....the FBI VICAP GROUP....is working on the case again....
The Eddy County Sheriff's Office emailed me and told me this news this week.

Please keep working on this case people...Our families appreciate all that has been offered on solving this case. August 11, 2010 will be 49 yrs ....since the girls were murdered. I believe this case can be solved...so please keep up the search for what happened (who killed) to Mattie and Patty.
Thanks, Anne

Some good news....the FBI VICAP GROUP....is working on the case again....
The Eddy County Sheriff's Office emailed me and told me this news this week.

Please keep working on this case people...Our families appreciate all that has been offered on solving this case. August 11, 2010 will be 49 yrs ....since the girls were murdered. I believe this case can be solved...so please keep up the search for what happened (who killed) to Mattie and Patty.
Thanks, Anne

That is good news! Don't get discouraged if you don't receive much in the way of communiations from them. I imagine that they will be pretty quiet on the tips and evidence they are working on. I would like to see the Vidocq Society pick this case up as well.

Anne, that is wonderful news! I've not posted here before but I have been lurking and praying that you will receive the answers that are so deserved for Mattie and Patty.

Anne, that is wonderful news! I've not posted here before but I have been lurking and praying that you will receive the answers that are so deserved for Mattie and Patty.

Thank You Maia, yes it is great news. I have also been praying that they find something out that will solve this case. Again thank you for the prayers.

That is good news! Don't get discouraged if you don't receive much in the way of communiations from them. I imagine that they will be pretty quiet on the tips and evidence they are working on. I would like to see the Vidocq Society pick this case up as well.
Hi Hurricane, nice to hear from you. Yes, I understand that the VICAP group doesn't talk to the victims families...unless they have questions. But I will be patient and pray that they get some much needed answers. I have the case ready to mail to Vidocq Society...just haven't sent it.
Thank you for the continued support of solving this case Hurricane...I appreciate all that you have contributed to help solve it.

Hi Hurricane, nice to hear from you. Yes, I understand that the VICAP group doesn't talk to the victims families...unless they have questions. But I will be patient and pray that they get some much needed answers. I have the case ready to mail to Vidocq Society...just haven't sent it.
Thank you for the continued support of solving this case Hurricane...I appreciate all that you have contributed to help solve it.

I would encourage you to mail it to Vidocq. The request to get them involved has to come from family. We all think this case is solveable. What you have would peak their interest, I'm sure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back