CA-Amber Leeanne Dubois (14 YO)- Escondido #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know, when searches for a missing person are conducted, is there a printed detailed list of clothing, other items, jewelry that the person wore/had, with actual/sample pictures if possible, given to each searcher and made available to the public? Since people are very visual and in case any item was dropped or something?

See attached example of what I mean. I sent an email with the suggestion to the email address on the family website. Just trying to think of any ideas that might help.

Cloudajo..GREAT idea!! I'd also recommend telling the family to forward that to the media.

I meant to mention this before, but there is also a construction site right next to the school. There is a development of what looks like townhomes to me; they don't really look like apartments. This project has been going on for at least a year and Amber would have walked right by the site on her way to school.

The development you are talking about is going to be a senior citizen center with different levels of care available. There is people in there working everyday and it is fenced off pretty good. I would hope that the workers checked all the buildings by now.

I wanted to mention, about the police patrolling, they do a good job near the high school, but by where I live I hardly see a patrol car. Once again, it could be because we are on the line separating county and city. I didn't realize how close Amber's home is to mine. I could walk there in about 2 minutes.

I'm not sure what good going door to door is doing, besides making more people aware. There is so many large properties out here with lots of out buildings. I hope people have taken the time to search these properties. My daughter told me the other day that her boyfriends house, which looks out over a canyon, has tons of caves near it. He lives at the very north end of town. He hasn't seen anyone come search near their house.

Also I wanted to mention that last year an older woman completely disappeared from her home in this area. She had dementia and just walked away from her home one day. I think it was in Sept. 2008. No trace of her was ever found. Her name is Sheila Lopes.

Hi there to my neighbors posting here. I did read somewhere recently that the caves in Esc had been searched.
Also, while cutting the military's hair this weekend I spoke to a few men that live in Escondido. One man lives on the golf course on Broadway. He said searchers came to his door with flyers and just was informing the neighbors of the situation and to be on the lookout for Amber or strange activity, etc.

They can't just come in and search everyone's home, but they are trying to make everyone aware. Also warning people so that it doesn't happen again.

I read a bad comment under this article that really is bothering me. I have no way of knowing if it is true or not, so I don't know what to make of it.

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=9967998&nav=menu1607_2_1

I saw that comment too....idk
It might be someone looking to cause a stir or it could be true..

Is the girl in the video Amber? If so, she looks different that the photo thats being sent around. I noticed the ring in her nose or lip I couldnt see it that well. Also wearing black long sleeves. Sometimes, we really dont know what our kids are doing. Could she be in Goth/EMO? Once again, someone knows something, could even know very well where she is. Possibly in the home of a EMO friend, hiding there. Maybe searching the woods, etc is the wrong place to be looking this time.

I think that's just a drop of water on her nose -- looks like that video was taken on a rainy day. I don't think she's a goth or emo kid, but even if she was, I highly doubt being a part of those respective subcultures would have anything to do with her disappearance.

The comment in that article is odd. There's no proof that Amber's mother uses and quite frankly, it seems a bit far fetched.

Thank you, DewSeeker, for letting me know what that construction project was going to be. I could never find out what it was. Also, earlier in this thread, I mentioned Sheila Lopes because her disappearance has always bothered me too. I agree, there isn't much of a police presence once you get away from the high school. I live not far from Cougar Pass, the road that Broadway turns into north of Escondido and I have not seen anyone searching that road, although, surely they have. I am going to walk that road myself as soon I get a chance.

There are so many kids walking to school in that area, little kids, that it is scary to think that Amber was snatched in broad daylight.

Nice that that person that left the unsavory comment after the Amber Dubois story at the News8 website posted under "Anonymous".

Ahhhhh i'm soooo frustrated about this case...
and i'm not involved at all...
i can't even imagine the frustration of her friends and family...
all this time is going by w/out knowing anything...
no clues or anything!!!
She's here one day...and gone the next!!!! :(

I can't explain how going door to door rules anything out.

I think this is a different case than the one you are referring to, but it made me think of this one from Sep 2006. It's so revolting and scary, but the young girl was so brave during the ordeal. This 14 year old girl was held in an underground bunker by this creep and was able to send a text message to her mother from his phone.

(Sorry for the length):

Sep, 2006
LUGOFF, S.C. — Sharon Turner said she was worried when a 14-year-old girl who lived about a mile away disappeared. She hadn't seen the man living across the street — who was charged last year with criminal sexual conduct on a 12-year-old girl — for months. "I told my husband, 'He went underground,"' Turner said. Authorities say she was right.

Vinson Filyaw had eluded police since November with an elaborate system of bunkers hidden in the woods around his home, Kershaw County Sheriff Steve McCaskill said. Filyaw not only hid from authorities there, they allege, he also raped and held captive the 14-year-old girl.

The girl was rescued Saturday after she sent her mother a text message on Filyaw's phone while he was asleep Wednesday.
[woods and had used them to hide out since he was charged in the earlier case.

Thanks cloudajo..yes, this is a different case but thanks for posting as I did not know about it. It bugged me all day today until a coworker came up with the name of the case I was thinking of-Abby Drover.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2001/01/18/abby_010118.html

I don't mean to get off topic here, just want the investigators to consider that there are creeps out there that come up with weird types of confinement for their victims. I hope they are looking at every possibility. It scares me that going door to door is just that and nothing more, when she could be closer than anyone knows!

My home is also near Cougar Pass, it is such a small world....

That comment that was left seems so different from all of the others that it makes it unbelievable.

But, when I think back to when my daughter went to EHS, I remember how busy it was there every morning. I would sometimes drop her off about a block or 2 before the school and have her walk the rest of the way to avoid the cluster in front of the school and because it was impossible to turn around and go back home.

Knowing that and picturing Amber near the baseball/soccer field/driveway area with all of the traffic right there makes it hard for me to imagine her being abducted. It is so heavily populated at that time of day. There would have to be a bit of a struggle or a scuffle.

If it were a person that she had known or had met that pulled up to the curb and told her to get in the car for whatever reason, I think no one would notice.

I just don't see how anyone could pull off an abduction right there when other parents were dropping their kids off all over that same area. Plus all of the other "walking to school" kids there.

When my daughter went there 2 years ago, almost everyday there were 2 motorcycle cops parked in front of the school waiting for me to make an illegal U-turn right there.

I sure want Amber to be found soon, alive and well.

But...what if she was way early than usual??
What if there wasn't alot of people around at that time?
She could have gone really early cuz she was so excited about getting her lamb.
What do you think?
What time does it start to get really busy around there?

I am just going off memory here but another parent dropping his child off saw her in front of the school area around 7:10 am? I think. So since he was dropping his student off I assumed it was at least getting busy if not already.

Plus, even if it wasn't school time yet, that road is heavily travelled in the mornings.

I don't know. It just boggles my mind.

It certainly would be a VERY bold move to plan an abduction right there. It is a very busy main road. There are plenty of side streets leading up to the school that would be a much quieter place to pluck a child from.

I couldn't find the actual letter posted anywhere online yet.

===============

Missing teen's father releases letter to her
San Diego Union Tribune, 2:00 a.m. March 10, 2009

ESCONDIDO: The father of missing teenager Amber DuBois has written her a letter and is asking the news media to circulate it.

Maurice DuBois says “our hope is that she will see our letter and know that her family is doing everything possible to bring her safely home.”

The letter talks about how he would be spending time with her if she were home, and describes pictures taken by her friends and a beach camping trip last summer. It concludes: “Don't lose hope in our finding you. I will never lose hope in our search for you.”

Amber, 14, disappeared while walking to Escondido High School the morning of Feb. 13. The family is offering a $60,000 reward – $50,000 for information leading to her safe return and $10,000 for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for her disappearance.
Anyone with information about Amber is asked to call a tip line at (760) 743-8477 or her father at (714) 231-1326. The family also has a Web site: bring-amberhome.com.
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/mar/10/1m10b2briefs234656-short-takes/

Interesting about Amber's cell phone. Password was re-set by Verizon Friday night so Amber's mother could check Amber's vm. The ping on Saturday when turned on for less than 30 seconds to try to access vm was off a cell phone tower in North Escondido.

=============

Timeline Offers Clues In Disappearance Of Amber Dubois
CBS8, Posted: March 9, 2009 09:37 PM EDT

It's been 24 days since an Escondido teenager went missing without a trace. In this News 8 CrimeFighters investigation, we take a closer look at the timeline in the disappearance of Amber Dubois.

Friday, Feb. 13 7:10 a.m.: Parents spot 9th grader Amber Dubois walking to school two blocks north of Escondido High School. It's the only confirmed sighting of Amber by two separate witnesses.

"There were other kids coming down Broadway. There were kids being dropped off at the south corner of the stadium," parent David Wahlquist said.

Because other students and vehicles are in the area, police say it's unlikely Amber was abducted from the street.

"The assumption is she continued past or went into the high school, but as far as an abduction, that would cause a commotion, and somebody would recognize that," Escondido Police Lt. Craig Carter said.

7:30 a.m.: Amber never shows up for class. The school leaves a voicemail for Amber's mother, but it isn't until 4 p.m. on Friday that the mother's boyfriend comes home from work to find Amber missing.

Later that night, Verizon Wireless resets the password on Amber's cell phone so Amber's frantic mother can access her daughter's cell phone voicemail.

"I'm trying to keep things positive but it's really hard," Amber's mother Carrie McGonigle said.

Saturday, Feb. 14: Amber's cell phone is turned on for less than 30 seconds and pings off a cell phone tower in North Escondido. Whoever turned it on tried to access voicemail but was unsuccessful because the password had already been reset.

"The person dialed #86 to attempt to reach voicemail, couldn't get through and then they turned off the phone immediately," Amber's father Maurice Dubois said.

Police flood the neighborhood near the cell phone tower with reverse 911 calls, but fail to locate Amber. On Saturday night in downtown Escondido, a former classmate reports seeing Amber walking with two teenagers on Grand Avenue near Palomar Hospital. The sighting is unconfirmed.

Sunday night, Feb. 15: Another unconfirmed sighting near the intersection of Rincon Avenue and Conway. Search and rescue volunteers canvas the area handing out fliers, but still no Amber. She's been gone one week now, and friends at a candlelight vigil say there's no way Amber ran away.

"I know for a fact that there's zero percent chance that she just took off. That's an impossibility to me," friend Jade Fidell said.

Private investigator Bill Garcia organizes weekend searches. Then on March 3, a neighbor reports three teenage girls hiking near caves above Eastern Rincon Avenue.

"One of them, looking through binoculars, looked a lot like her," Escondido neighbor Tom Davids said.

The girls are never located, and the sighting is once again unconfirmed.

March 6: the family sets up Amber search headquarters. National organizations join the effort, offering a $50,000 reward for the girl's safe return.

"This is a family that's desperately in need of assistance to recover their child," Marc Klaas of the Klaas Kids Foundation said.

Police continue to investigate more than 180 tips. Hundreds of volunteers searched again this past weekend, but still no sign of Amber.
http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=9975976

Here's some info on reverse 911 calls - I wasn't sure how that worked so looked up.

As part of National Preparedness Month and to further highlight the City of San Diego's increased ability to respond to emergencies, Mayor Jerry Sanders unveiled the city's new Reverse 911 emergency notification call system. The system can deliver emergency messages to as many as 240,000 households and businesses in an hour.

This web-based, community-alert notification system is designed to make mass telephone calls to the public in a timely manner during emergencies or disasters. The system uses a combination of databases and GIS mapping technologies to quickly target and effectively disseminate emergency notification calls to a precise geographic area.

The San Diego purchased Reverse 911 as another tool to rapidly broadcast emergency notifications to the public in the event of an emergency. The system hardware, software and three-year contract cost $180,000. The system was paid for with Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI) Homeland Security grant funds.

When activated, the Reverse 911 system uses the 911 telephone database to initiate a voice mail broadcasted message via landline telephones to San Diego residents and businesses in the affected areas. A taped message delivers instructions on how to proceed during the ongoing emergency. Individuals using non-landline cellular and VoIP phones can also register their numbers online to receive the emergency calls. Persons using a TTY/TDD phone system will also receive Reverse 911 notifications.
http://www.govtech.com/gt/141428?topic=117676

I don't think i knew about those "unconfirmed" sigthings....
i have a really dumb question....
What makes a sigthing "confirmed" or "unconfirmed"
Like...
There were 2 seperate parents that saw Amber in the morning on the way to school....
but then someone said they saw her walking w/ someone the next night...
and someone saw some girls hiking by the cave...
What makes the sigthing of Amber on the way to school that morning "confirmed"?
And the other two sightings "unconfirmed"?

I'm not really sure about the confirmed/unconfirmed definition, but I think in this case the parents that saw her near school are sure it was her--therefore confirmed.

The sighting downtown and up in the hills was from a distance and it looked like her, but no one was ever able to confirm whether it was really her or not, so unconfirmed.

Praying today is the day that they'll find her alive and well. This poor family.

My mind is never far from Amber and wondering what she is doing or what her conditions are.

That's interesting that the call to check her voice mail used the right pass code. Could it have been her? Who else would want to check her voice mail, and know her password?

Yeah that is a strange call to make if your were not Amber.

Has the men/woman, usually men been checked out really well? who ever was going to sell her the lamb could have picked up really really easy. Being a teacher or whatever, i doublt anyone would paid any attention.

No nose ring, and not envolved with EMO brings me back to first base again. How do we know exactly how far away from the school she was? or home for that matter. I dont think she was snatched. Either she knew this person very well, or a little anyway, that pulled the old 'your mom is on the way to hospital' come with me. That kind of statement scares anybody, and maybe she just paniced. If it was something like that, i would think that person would have had to have a nice appearance and not some creepy guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla