AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 01 Feb 2012 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
At about 2 pm, as Israel Keye's defense attorney was speaking to the court about the defense's position on the timeing of the trial, Keyes somehow freed himself of his leg irons and jumped the rail into the gallery. It is unknown how he freed himself from his leg irons, but Keyes was not handcuffed during the proceedings.
http://alaska-native-news.com/gener...-attempts-escape-at-anchorage-courthouse.html

bbm: just how exactly would he have been able to do thaaat?

also I never knew this! (I bet the rest of you guys did but I am just catching up on the case :)

Keyes was apprehended in Texas after drawing what was to be randsom money from an account of one of Samantha's acquaintences.

No kidding, Nurse. Is he that strong? Or did someone goof?

Somewhere back in Sam's threads I commented that I believed his crimes were impulse driven. I'm even more convinced now.

the problem I have with the spending the reward money is that the next time someone is missing, or a reward fund is set up, that people may be hesitant to do so.

people were assured all along that JK would do the right thing and donate the money. It appears he did. he donated cash to a dealer for the truck. It is known because someone who sold the vehicle stated it was a cash deal.

IMO, this all speaks to his character, not his grieving process. I don't think any slack should be cut for actions like DWI, threating with a gun, spending 'reward" money. These aren't actions based on a person grieving acting irrationally / "unlike" themselves, rather these are actions of someone who has a lifetime of poor choices. Actions like these IMO aren't out of character for JK, rather they are the character of JK, prior to and after the IK incident. Using the money donated for a reward fund in good faith, by a caring community to buy oneself a new truck, remodel the home et al, is disengenious and dishonest.
rather than using the money for a scholarship, a victims fund, a missing persons fund, a communtiy outreach program, donation et al, it was spent on a material object for self gratification.

IMO there are no excuses to be made or with any merit for this man.

hopefully, there isn't a next time, but there will be, hopefully someone will set up a proper fund, where people will know where the donations are going to, and where the donations will end up upon conclusion.

the problem I have with the spending the reward money is that the next time someone is missing, or a reward fund is set up, that people may be hesitant to do so.

people were assured all along that JK would do the right thing and donate the money. It appears he did. he donated cash to a dealer for the truck. It is known because someone who sold the vehicle stated it was a cash deal.

IMO, this all speaks to his character, not his grieving process. I don't think any slack should be cut for actions like DWI, threating with a gun, spending 'reward" money. These aren't actions based on a person grieving acting irrationally / "unlike" themselves, rather these are actions of someone who has a lifetime of poor choices. Actions like these IMO aren't out of character for JK, rather they are the character of JK, prior to and after the IK incident. Using the money donated for a reward fund in good faith, by a caring community to buy oneself a new truck, remodel the home et al, is disengenious and dishonest.
rather than using the money for a scholarship, a victims fund, a missing persons fund, a communtiy outreach program, donation et al, it was spent on a material object for self gratification.

hopefully, there isn't a next time, but there will be, hopefully someone will set up a proper fund, where people will know where the donations are going to, and where the donations will end up upon conclusion.

There should be federal laws put in place to govern these funds and all the money spent should be accounted for. This is just crazy that he has gotten away with this and you are right, it shows what kind of person he really is!

I don't think Keyes feels he has anything to lose at this point. That makes him a very dangerous individual, both in jail and the courtroom. He won't have an opportunity like that again, US Marshall's will see to that. I wonder if he might try to take his own life before the trial?

Well LE has had time to examine the leg irons by now. They know how they "broke". IMO he had some help with this but why. Was he suppose to get killed trying to escape or will this get him in solitary confinement?

Just seems like there is so much more to this case than meets the eye.

Is there a link that JK got a new vehicle using the reward fund money?

BBM-Do we know that he hasn't donated?

Not being flip or argumentative, just asking the question.

http://www.ktva.com/home/outbound-xml-feeds/Keyes-Houdini-Like-Move-Under-Investigation-153885245.html

Although Keyes was not handcuffed, he was supposed to have a tough set of leg irons on. How he got out of them remains a mystery.

"I’ve done this 20 years, I’ve never seen anybody pull that loose like that, no,” said David Long of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Long says he does not believe that Keyes could have broken the chain on the leg irons simply through brute strength.

But how else could he have done it?

"Yesterday’s incident is under investigation, so we can't really talk about the specifics of that incident."

Sounds like a chain link was weakened ahead of time to me. So who had access to the leg irons?

http://www.adn.com/2012/05/25/2480132/keyes-returns-to-court-2-days.html

Keyes returns to court 2 days after apparent escape attempt

Wearing a new red jumpsuit and now labeled a dangerous prisoner after an apparent escape attempt, Israel Keyes, the man charged with abducting and killing 18-year-old Samantha Koenig, sat calmly through a federal court hearing Friday...

...On Friday, Keyes stared into the gallery as Koenig's parents entered the courtroom separately, each with their own supporters, while three marshals stood around him...

...The judge warned Keyes he might end up with more shackles or a gag or be placed in a jail cell for future court proceedings...

...Then the judge, federal prosecutors and Keyes' attorney got down to the business of setting a trial date, settling on March 11, 2013...

More at link.

With some apprehension from Keyes' attorney, Richard Curtner, the judge asked Keyes if he was concerned about his right to a speedy trial. Burgess asked the accused killer if he'd been following the discussion.

"Yes, your honor."

It was a complicated case, Burgess said, not only with the possible sentence but also evidence discovery issues.

"Yes, your honor," Keyes said. "The only concerns I have, have to do with the discovery, which I haven't been able to review myself."

Keyes said he was trusting his attorneys to fully explain everything.

"If 10 months (for a trial date) is realistic, that's fine with me. If it's realistic to set it sooner than 10 months, that's also fine with me," Keyes said.

Interesting ...

Here's a link to the June 8, 2012 First Pretrial Scheduling Order on Find A Case. http://ak.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.20120608_0000029.DAK.htm/qx

Looks like the first order of business is the decision on whether or not to seek the death penalty. The government's report is due 7/20; defense to respond by 8/21.

The timeline for discovery and motions is laid out with the next Status Conference set for 7/9. Mr. Keyes will be allowed to participate by telephone.

I always thought it was strange that Keye's would have just killed Sam for no reason. Obviously he had prior experience in murder if this story about him killing the couple in VT is true.

JMO

Can't say I'm surprised to hear that Joe Friday. What's the motive?

Remember when I found that property that Keyes owns, that has the cabin on it? I can't remember, was it in New York State? I have to go back now and see if I can find my posts. BRB ...

post_old.gif
03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Knox
user_online.gif

ܡܫܠܡ

He owns a home in Constable, NY.

http://franklin.sdgnys.com/propdetai...00010174000000

Here it is ...
Thread # 4, Page 16, Post#390

Constable, NY - to Burlington, VT - is 105 miles.
******************************************************************************************************* 26.-1-17.400 ***************
511 Poplar St 1-009-19.00
26.-1-17.400 210 1 Family Res COUNTY TAXABLE VALUE 3,300
Keyes Israel Malone Central 164801 800 TOWN TAXABLE VALUE 3,300
3705 Arctic Blvd #2891 T 4 G 8 26-1-17.200 3,300 SCHOOL TAXABLE VALUE 3,300
Anchorage, AK 99503 Rubans Road FD010 Constable fire prot 3,300 TO
Rubans Rubans
ACRES 9.99
EAST-0543982 NRTH-2234110
DEED BOOK 685 PG-173
FULL MARKET VALUE 29,810
******************************************************************************************************
He is still the owner of record on the July 1, 2012 Assessment Roles.
http://franklincony.org/content/Dep...ld=documents;/content/Documents/File/2588.pdf

According to WCAX in Burlington, VT Keyes told authorities where they could find the bodies of the couple, while he was questioned regarding Samantha Koenig's disappearance and murder in Anchorage while in custody.

Authorities in Vermont called off the search with no remains discovered, but Keyes was said to have been positively identified as being in the area at the time of the couple's disappearance.

http://www.webcenter11.com/?q=content/israel-keyes-possibly-connected-murder-lower-48

"The investigation has developed significant information that William and Lorraine Currier were abducted from their home and murdered shortly thereafter in June 2011. The person believed to have committed the murders is in custody in another state and will remain in custody. No charges have yet been brought against this person for the Curriers' murders, but charges are anticipated," said Tristram Coffin, the U.S. Attorney for Vermont.

"Their murders were a random act of violence that occurred in our community. There is nothing the Curriers did in their personal lives that contributed to their deaths," Chittenden County Prosecutor T.J. Donovan said.

http://www.wcax.com/story/19073463/investigators-have-suspect-in-murder-of-curriers

How shocking...
I wonder if they will take him out there to show them exactly where he left their bodies? They need to be found...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288