GA - Troy Davis fails to prove his innocence to Supreme Court

Posted this much earlier in the thread, reposting again now that we know...

Prayer written by Sister Helen Prejean:

God of Compassion
You let your rain fall on the just and the unjust.
Expand and deepen our hearts
so that we may love as You love,
even those among us
who have caused the greatest pain by taking life.
For there is in our land a great cry for vengeance
as we fill up death row and kill the killers
in the name of justice, in the name of peace.
Jesus, our brother,
you suffered execution at the hands of the state
but you did not let hatred overcome you
Help us to reach out to victims of violence
so that our enduring love may help them heal.
Holy Spirit of God,
You strengthen us in the struggle for justice,
Help us to work tirelessly
for the abolition of state-sanctioned death
and to renew our society in its very heart
so that violence will be no more.
Amen.

washingtonpost The Washington Post
BREAKING: @AP reports U.S. Supreme Court refuses to block #TroyDavis execution // Developing: wapo.st/nXGcWU
3 minutes ago

I just read another article were the USSC just stayed another execution this week.

BTW Brewer in TX was executed tonight for the dragging death case of Mr. Byrd.

With them not staying this execution there has to be more information/evidence out there about this case that we do not know about in order to make the USSC think the verdict and sentence was just.

I did wonder why the people that protested were wanting him to receive LWOP. Wouldn't that mean they think he was guilty but just didn't want the DP applied?

IMO

I'm losing more confidence in our government with each passing day.
I feel more and more helpless and most importantly powerless in my position as a citizen.

Al Sharpton (hours ago) is advocating to outlaw eyewitness testimony in capital cases.

I just read another article were the USSC just stayed another execution this week.

BTW Brewer in TX was executed tonight for the dragging death case of Mr. Byrd.

With them not staying this execution there has to be more information/evidence out there about this case that we do not know about in order to make the USSC think the verdict and sentence was just.

I did wonder why the people that protested were wanting him to receive LWOP. Wouldn't that mean they think he was guilty but just didn't want the DP applied?

IMO

bbm

Not necessarily. I think the LWOP is the next lesser step of punishment and more likely to have been granted than say, life with chance of parole. At least with LWOP, at least he can still research and try to prove innocence...

NO, there was too much doubt here to kill him. Nobody is saying he is innocent, necessarily

I have lost ALL faith in our so-called Justice System.

Criminal AND Civil as well (personal matter).

Tragic.

I officially lost that with the casey anthony verdict.

what is happening now is icing on the cake.

but what icing? what cake? this is not sweet..

what I have seen happen in the last few months is so sour it has no words or taste.

horrible.... horrible

I'm losing more confidence in our government with each passing day.
I feel more and more helpless and most importantly powerless in my position as a citizen.

HUGS!!

My two cents: poor black man, dead cop. Period.

One of Troy's relatives was speaking earlier about having the DA recalled. The pardons/parole board members are not elected. They are appointed by the governor.

I don't pray but I am right now for everyone involved.

Then some good can come from this. Thank you.

If this changes minds and makes people think about and talk about it. DP is only in 10-15(?) states now. If there is justice, one day no state will have it.

It's funny, I've always been against the death penalty but I've never been passionate about it. This case seems to have made me so.

35 Death Penalty States.
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado,
Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho,
Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland,
Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada,
New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon,
Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming
Plus U.S. Military & U.S. Gov’t

democracynow Democracy Now!
UPDATE: Prison officials report execution of #TroyDavis is proceeding within "half and hour." owl.li/6BleT
5 minutes ago

This is kind of scary... I sort of feel unsafe living in this country.

Al Sharpton (hours ago) is advocating to outlaw eyewitness testimony in capital cases.

I think this is a good idea!! and I don't usually say that about Sharpton's ideas ;)

There have been SO many studies done proving eye witness testimonies are NOT reliable.

bbm

Not necessarily. I think the LWOP is the next lesser step of punishment and more likely to have been granted than say, life with chance of parole. At least with LWOP, at least he can still research and try to prove innocence...

Ok thanks...I just wondered why they werent protesting to have him freed instead of wanting him to spend the rest of his life in prison.

IMO

In Georgia the governor CAN'T issue pardons. Only the pardons and paroles board.

I wonder if this case could be a catalyst for death penalty reform or at least a renewed discussion. I don't know what to say. This is wrong and I am ashamed of my state today.

BBM Georgia screwed up big time tonight.

Troy's final statement just read on Democracy Now; very moving. The execution is 'in the process' now. Hoka Hey, Troy

Georgia State Capitol:

gss-110921-davis-726p.grid-7x2.jpg

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/C...0921-davis/gss-110921-davis-726p.grid-7x2.jpg

democracynow Democracy Now!
UPDATE: Prison officials report execution of #TroyDavis is proceeding within "half and hour." owl.li/6BleT
5 minutes ago

gosh beans... I am quoting your post because I didn't want to "thank" it.. I mean I wanted to thank you for the update but I do not give thanks for this news....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashley_erin
Back