IL IL - The Unidentified Victims of John Wayne Gacy

anthrobones

Reaction score
I noticed that the unidentified victims of John Wayne Gacy do not have listings on Doe Network. Were they ever identified? I know that there were nine unidentified boys/men and that Betty Pat Gatliff made reconstructions. I wonder if they were ever id'd based on the reconstructions she made.

I couldn't find any listings for these victims on any of the sites.

There is a good article about Forensic Anthropology, in the Crime Library that does mention the reconstructions:
http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/forensics/anthropology/1.html

Exerpt - talking about the reconstructions in the Gacy Case:

Despite all of this effort, people were reluctant to come forward, so the nine victims remained unidentified.

So I guess its another case of "They are dead, their killer has been convicted, they don't need names".
mad.gif

On page 5 of the above mentioned article they are talking about Karen T. Taylor's work - she's the sculptress who created the reconstructions:

over two hundred cases for law enforcement, including creating sculptures based on the remains of nine of the thirty-three victims of serial killer John Wayne Gacy. From her work, one victim was identified as a young man from Nebraska---he was the first one Gacy killed---and five more were tentatively identified.

This is a brief site which talks about the victims
:
http://members.tripod.com/diagnosis_sk/id6.html
Exerpt:
Only 25 of Gacys victims were ever identified, the other 8 were buried in a paupers grave with the inscription on the grave stone reading we are remembered.

***They may be remembered, but they are still unidentified
mad.gif

Hope this helps
smile.gif

PonderingThings said:
..... so the nine victims remained unidentified.

.... creating sculptures based on the remains of nine of the thirty-three victims of serial killer John Wayne Gacy. ... one victim was identified as a young man from Nebraska ... five more were tentatively identified.

... Only 25 of Gacys victims were ever identified, the other 8 were buried in a paupers grave with the inscription on the grave stone reading we are remembered.
Accounts of the numbers tend to vary, depending on the source. 29 bodies were found under Gacy's house and yard, with six of them being unidentified. Later, after his arrest, others were found. In the end, Gacy was convicted of 33 counts of murder on 30 March 1980 and the next day he was sentenced to death.

Regarding the burial of the unknown victims: It would appear from the above and from a book I have on the subject that there is a difference of opinion on that subject as well. This source states that on 12 June 1981, a memorial service for the unidentified victims was held at Oakridge Cemetery in the Chicago suburb of Hillside. Each body was in a separate coffin (a photo confirms this). After the service, the bodies were dispersed to several different cemeteries, because authorities feared that burying them in one place might create a macabre tourist attraction.

I would think that this is more accurate than burying all of those coffins in a single grave.

I too have seen photos of the busts created of the victims. If information on each of those boys could be compiled, and submitted with a picture of the reconstruction to the Doenetwork, they would probably be included on the website. I cannot say for certain, because I do not run that site, but I have submitted cases to them in the past, and they were very interested in them, and put them on the website a short time after they were submitted.

Just bumping an old post up.

I know what the reconstructions look like from a book I have. They all look so similar....:/

Sadly the reconstructions all look similar.
I know back in the 70s-80s lots of male prostitutes hung out at bus depots around Chicago. Many no longer had contact with their families due to being gay and often drug addicted.

It is sad that these men will forever be known as the "gacy unidentified victims" They deserve better.

I'm glad things have changed now that it's no longer a stigma to be gay but i feel sad for these boys that it seems that noone is looking for them or missing them. They deserve more than to be just a number

On a side note....... what does mrs Gacy know about these boys and who they were ??

He does kinda look like one of them , but it's hard to tell which one because the forensic artist who did those reconstructions made all the victims look the same

I'm assuming they were buried, but I wonder if LE would ever try exhuming their skulls to do new reconstructions--maybe computer generated?

A call to the LaSalle County sheriff's office indicates they believe Dermot was ruled out. (link to missing person two posts previously)

I have a call into the Cook County medical examiners office to inquire if there is a list of rule outs for the 8 remaining unidentified Gacy victims.

I was only able to find links to the 8 uid victims on Doenetwork. They are not listed at NamUs.

I know back in the 70s-80s lots of male prostitutes hung out at bus depots around Chicago. Many no longer had contact with their families due to being gay and often drug addicted.

It is sad that these men will forever be known as the "gacy unidentified victims" They deserve better.

He seems to have gone for a certain "type" -- though several of them are different. Poor guys.

this post made me think. It's kind of amazing these 8 are still unidentified. Gacy's case made national media and even for those who don't necessarily follow crime news - I wonder if the families of these men ever wondered if perhaps their loved one was a victim of Gacy, and if those thoughts ever occured to them and their loved one was not reported missing previously - why they wouldn't report them missing later.

People are sometimes reported missing many many years later.... but I guess not everyone is aware of that.

I do hope these 8 are one day identified.
They died so horrifically, they deserve to at least have their name back.

this post made me think. It's kind of amazing these 8 are still unidentified. Gacy's case made national media and even for those who don't necessarily follow crime news - I wonder if the families of these men ever wondered if perhaps their loved one was a victim of Gacy, and if those thoughts ever occured to them and their loved one was not reported missing previously - why they wouldn't report them missing later.

People are sometimes reported missing many many years later.... but I guess not everyone is aware of that.

I do hope these 8 are one day identified.
They died so horrifically, they deserve to at least have their name back.

I wonder if they were "throwaways" -- boys kicked out of their homes for being gay. It happened a lot in the 70's.

Could be carbuff. I still think and hope so many years later someone in their family is looking. I'd even like to put the idea out there that perhaps if someone was unable to file a missing person report then, to try now.

Someone knows these 8 men.... hopefully we can bring them back to their families.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back