Photos of the Couple - *WARNING: Graphic Images*

The man has a definite French Canadian look to him.

That is exactly what I was thinking! Also, it was said that the couple had olive complexions. Many Quebecois have a degree of First Nations or Metis heritage. Perhaps this was misinterpreted as contributing to the olive tone?

On another note, I came across several discussions/articles saying that back in 2009, DNA from family members of the missing Yakimchuks (a couple who left Edmonton, Alberta to attend a wedding in Montreal, Quebec and disappeared: profiled by Venom Goose in 2008 under the 1970s missing person forum here: CANADA Canada - Ron Yakimchuk, 27, & Terry Pettit, 23, Edmonton AB, 12 June 1973 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community) was submitted to a University who has access to bones belonging to the South Carolina mystery couple. I was excited at this prospect. Here is a link to the article:
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=2936.0

I was especially interested because of the following similarities:
"Sumter County police estimated the victims were between 18 and
26. Terry, a former Edmonton Journal reporter, was 23 when she disappeared. Ron, former editor of a rogue University of Alberta student newspaper, was 27.
The female South Carolina victim was an estimated five-foot-six and
105 pounds, with brown hair and blue-green eyes. Terry was five-foot-four, 120 pounds with blond hair and blue-green eyes.
The male victim was estimated at six feet tall, 150 pounds with brown eyes and brown hair. Ron was six feet tall, 150 pounds with brown eyes and black hair.
Years after the bodies were found, a Canadian connection was revealed. A man whose wife worked at a nearby campground said he played pool there with a camper he thought was one of the victims. He told the sheriff that the man said he was formerly a teacher from Canada. Ron Yakimchuk was a teacher."

However, examining the photos shows that it is probably not them. Here are the Yakimchuk's missing posters, if anyone cares to have a look for themselves.
Ron Yakimchuk: http://www.albertamissingpersons.ca/images/stories/library/data_files/YAKIMCHUK_Ronald.pdf

Terry (Pettit) Yakimchuk: http://www.albertamissingpersons.ca/images/stories/library/data_files/YAKIMCHUK_Theresa.pdf

I have been unable to find any information on the DNA match results, but I am guessing they were negative, or there would be reports of the mystery having been solved.
If anyone has more information, or ideas, i'd love to hear them.

I may be in a minority here, but I actually think Terry does look like the jane DOE. I think the shorter hair and the big glasses throw you at first, but if you look at her bone structure there is a similarity. However I cannot see terry and Ron disappearing of their own free will like that, without telling their friends.

Brit1981,

I agree. Take away the glasses and I think that they look a lot alike.

And he definitely looks like Sumpter John Doe

I definitely think they look very similar to the mystery couple Another thing I thought of was that a witness said they thought the man called himself jock. I admit this is really graspy at straws (and cheap rubbish ones with holes in the sides at that), but what if Ron just shortened his surname to "chuk" which might sounds a bit like Jock if said with an accent. Ok now I have written it I realise how silly that sounds.
The things that go against it being Ron and Terry are 1) the circumstances Ron and Terry disappeared in do not lend themselves to turning up in Southern USA a few weeks later 2) Rons description mentions no scars 3) where are Jane Doe's glasses 4) surely with DNA and dental work they would ahve been identified by now.

I don't think chuk sounding like jock is that much of a stretch. I knew a man named Mac for a few years. It wasn't until I saw him write his name that I realized he was actually Mike. Everyone called him Mac. Gotta love southern accents.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/classics/mystery_couple/index.html

In the article (link posted above) it stated they think that this couple had attended some type of race in Florida at one point.

I also noticed doing a google search that a detective on the case posted pictures of the jewlery and asked about a Grant's trucks stop in NM area.

Well there is a small town in Florida called "Grant" and they did in the 1970's have a truck stop and I'm pretty sure it was called "Grant's truck stop"

Also since he was looking in NM because the jewlery looked to be native american, and their looks could fit that....I was thinking more on the line of they are indeed brother and sister, and maybe Military Brats. Sumter has an Air Force Base, and several are also in NM, Florida too. With the dental work, perhaps this is why nothing has turned up on the dental work because it was a Military Dentist that did the work.

Back then if a child was missing, the parent would have notified the on base police, now if they were older (which they were) I can see police telling the parents they ran away and police never even filed a report.

What she was wearing was A-typical wear of what I was wearing at the time also. During 1974 it wasn't unheard of hitchiking across the country to go to concerts, or auto racing. In 1973 my sister picked up two girls that hitched a ride from Ill all the way to Cocoa Beach Fla just to hang out for the summer. They had no money or anything. This wasn't a rare occurence during this era either.

Either this couple are Native American, left a tribe area, and no family, or Military Brats. The only thing is the hair on her legs not shaved, and she is wearing shorts. Only girls at that age doing that were Euopeans.

I think when we all search out to match this person with someone else we should remember that this Jane Doe had some serious lush lashes. If you look at the crime scene photo's it is almost like if she had on false eyelashes. Even the investigator noted how thick and long they were.

To me the picture of them on the side of the road, both had left arm out. To me, it could indicated they had their thumbs out. Well maybe. Interesting case.

So what ethinic background would give such big thick eyelashes? Spain, and French is my guess.

BUT the one thing about jock is his hair is a definite side part

The coroner's assistant fixed their hair, but I'm sure she had some basis in reality for where she parted it. Pictures of César Lugones also show the hair parted way on the side.

FWIW the SC Jane Doe had never given birth. This is per the autopsy/coroner in Sumter.

According to her mother, María Marta had lost two pregnancies. As far as I can tell the only person to say she actually gave birth at ESMA in December 1976 was Adolfo Scilingo. He recanted his testimony at his 2005 trial, saying he never even worked at ESMA.

More pictures here of both Maria Marta Vasques & her husband Cesar Amadeo Lugones: http://www.memoriaabierta.org.ar/pancartas/13556.jpg
http://www.desaparecidos.org/arg/victimas/lugones/

"Servini de Cubria is also investigating the location of a third child, the son of María Vásquez Ocampo y César Amadeo Lugones. Both Vásquez Ocampo and Amadeo Lugones were seen at the ESMA. Vásquez Ocampo was two months pregnant when she was kidnapped, and gave birth to a baby boy in December 1976, according to the testimony of former navy captain Alfredo Scilingo."

Some more info about MV & CAL from : http://eaaf.typepad.com/pdf/1996_1997/02Argentina96_97.pdf

Also, google books has an account of their apprehension: http://books.google.com/books?id=Nt...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result

"An ESMA task force kinapped Monica Mignone the daughter of Lanusse's former education minister, Emilio Mignone, on May 14th 1976. She had been doing Catholic charity work in one of Buenos Aires's slums and also holding a consciousness-raising classes for the poor. On the same day another task-force picked up Maria Vasquez Ocampo, daughter of a diplomat and one of Maria's coworkers, as well as her husband, Cesar Aedeo Lugones....All attempts to locate these women by their fathers was frustrated."

Theoretically, as it was known to have happened at least once, I wonder if Maria and Amadeo might have escaped from the ESMA detention center, or possibly bribed their way out. The resemblance is eerie. This would be an even more tragic ending than I think anyone could have ever imagined. I know it would be unbelievable, unbelievable that they escaped death in Argentina only to be killed in the United States, but I will go on record now that I think this very well could be a match.

It is possible they were rendered to Miami (maybe New York) to help identify other "subversives." Condor operatives did that elsewhere. Also, the FBI gave the junta a list of suspected Montoneros living in the United States.

Tear Drop e-mailed me a couple more photos of the Sumpter County Jacques Doe. I told him I'd upload them to my Webshots account so that they can be posted here. (Looks like I am going to have to revise my reconstruction.)

2815868210045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
2003367470045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Tear Drop e-mailed me a couple more photos of the Sumpter County Jacques Doe. I told him I'd upload them to my Webshots account so that they can be posted here. (Looks like I am going to have to revise my reconstruction.)

2815868210045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
2003367470045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

These are much better! However, I'm still troubled by how different Jock and Jane look in each postmortem photo. It's as if each photo is of a different individual altogether. I've looked at a lot of UID postmortem pics and never have I seen so many variations on what are supposed to be the same individuals.

I am not familiar with this case but am helping my sister find the man who kidnapped her and her boyfriend in 1971 in SC. They were hitchhiking and the man picked them up and held them in his house on Parris Island. He molested my sister many times, she was just 14. Her boyfriend was 17. The whole story is rather gruesome and the details are horrific. He made them believe they were going to jail because the police were looking for them. They didn't think they were going to escape alive, but they did. He took them by car and dropped them off on the side of the highway, telling them to forget his name and tell no one. Recently my sister has contacted authirties to help track this monster down. They believe he did escalate in his violence as most of these types do. Could this man be the same man that murdered this couple?

I am not familiar with this case but am helping my sister find the man who kidnapped her and her boyfriend in 1971 in SC. They were hitchhiking and the man picked them up and held them in his house on Parris Island. He molested my sister many times, she was just 14. Her boyfriend was 17. The whole story is rather gruesome and the details are horrific. He made them believe they were going to jail because the police were looking for them. They didn't think they were going to escape alive, but they did. He took them by car and dropped them off on the side of the highway, telling them to forget his name and tell no one. Recently my sister has contacted authirties to help track this monster down. They believe he did escalate in his violence as most of these types do. Could this man be the same man that murdered this couple?

Have you ruled out the infamous serial killer Pee Wee Gaskins?

These are much better! However, I'm still troubled by how different Jock and Jane look in each postmortem photo. It's as if each photo is of a different individual altogether. I've looked at a lot of UID postmortem pics and never have I seen so many variations on what are supposed to be the same individuals.

I was thinking the same thing.

In the color pic, does it look like John Doe was a regular glasses wearer? Like César Amadeo Lugones.

Now that you mention, it does. He appears to have a small indentation near the bridge of his nose where it looks like a nose-piece would have been on a pair of glasses.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NPOL1566
Back