CONVICTION OVERTURNED AK - Kent Leppink, 36, murdered, Hope, 2 May 1996

Thanks for looking for thank Flourish. I haven't seen anything else on this except the 48 Hours episode but I was fascinated from the get-go. I'm surprised no one has written a book on this (or have they?). Anyway, I didn't know anything about the sister/computer info but what has been written here, so that's news to me. More nails for her coffin if you ask me.

There's one book, but I hear it's awful. I'm surprised there aren't more and will be even more surprised if there aren't some in the works as we speak. Be sure to check out the Dateline episode, which you can see here:

msnbc.com Video Player

I think there is footage of her sister in there. I believe the above video contains footage that wasn't seen on the aired episode. On the site, the video is broken down in several pieces, but they play back-to-back all by themselves. I don't know what the embedded video in this post will do.

Ok after watching that I still feel 100% that she is guilty but do have a few notes to make. First off she has had some work done. Looks like botox and collagen in the lips. I just could not help but notice how young and fresh faced she looked during her trail. Second I had forgotten that I was initially very suspicious of Scott and now I remember why. I do not think he was looked at hard enough! Third it sure is funny how everyone is trying to make her ut to be litle Suzy homemaker but she took her baby to go have an afair with one of her boyfriends (Scott ) from the time of the murder. Last watching Lora on the stand she looked coked out of her gourd but watching the extra interview footage with her she really seemed to have a very good grip on the kind of person Mechele is!

Some info on the jail John Carlin was in. As I thought they have only had two murders since they opened, one of them being Mr Carlin.

In the prison's history, there have been two murders inside the prison, one escape and at least one failed escape plot.

In 2008, convicted murderer John Carlin III was beaten to death in Spring Creek. Carlin was the alleged co-conspirator in the case of Mechele Linehan, a former stripper convicted in the death of her former fiance Kent Leppink.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Creek_Correctional_Center

Apparently the appeal relied partly on the use of poor dead Ken Leppink's letter in the first case. The one about Mechele being guilty. Will the second trial go as well without that piece of evidence? Ooohh, this ticks me off. She's already had more freedom than she deserved.

Even without Kent's letter I can not imagine how in the world any jury would not be able to see that she is as guilty as homemade sin!!!

Hi Nancy B...Thanks for the info...most of it's news to me...I have to admit I haven't followed Mechele's story too much. I was surprised to hear that Sharee's (another annoying name!) conviction was overturned. Her and Mechele are two peas in a pod if you ask me! two manipulative bit**es (IMO). Did Sharee get out of jail?

Hi Nancy B...Thanks for the info...most of it's news to me...I have to admit I haven't followed Mechele's story too much. I was surprised to hear that Sharee's (another annoying name!) conviction was overturned. Her and Mechele are two peas in a pod if you ask me! two manipulative bit**es (IMO). Did Sharee get out of jail?

Peas in a pod indeed! And yes, Sharee has been free since July 2009. A federal judge released her on a personal recognizance bond, pending appeal. Sharee gave a pretty extensive interview in the recent Dateline episode, which can be watched online here: msnbc.com Video Player. She's apparently living with a woman who used to work as a guard at her prison. The former guard, Terri F. Williams, is apparently an author who is working on Sharee Miller's biography. In the Dateline interview, Sharee said she was very troubled by Fatal Error the true crime book about her case and apparently she and Williams are going to set the story straight or something.:liar:

Does anyone remember what was said about Kent being killed in that remote location? I remember them saying that it was a fluke that he was found at that time. Seems like the murderer would want him found pretty quickly so that a bear or animal didn't scatter his remains resulting in a big delay in insurance payout, if it paid at all for a missing person. It won't suprise me at all if she's found innocent now that Carlen is dead.

All the cases I have seen the prosecution always has an advantage on a retrial
They learn from mistakes that were made first time around and focus on the relevant facts
There is still far more than enough evidence for a conviction bail will be bitter sweet for her
She is being completely delusional if she thinks she’s going to stay out

Let’s get the ball rolling again things have been pretty quiet lately.
Funny thing as much as we all think she’s guilty the folks at the other camp think the opposite
How can that be for the same facts 2+2 =5?
One would wonder how a bunch of same people could be so Diametrically Opposed are we missing something here
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2886453948518019548&postID=4054110039146366980

I think this Brian Watt is no stranger

Brian Watt said...

With regard to sharing legal costs, indeed, if 40 of us chipped in, say, $2,000 up front, and we made monthly payments for a year to the lawyers, each of another $500 a month or something, per person, we have what we need. Right there, is $320,000. I'm in. Count me in. In fact I will contribute more than $2,000down and $500 a month, to the lawyers, so count me in. I'll go way higher than that, on my contribution. Now we just need another 39 people...But I'm in. As they say in poker 'I'm all in".

I understand they have to have a new trial within 6 months?
They keep going on about money for the defense, some indigent people have had the best defense lawyers money can buy provided by the state.

I still think the state will win

Let’s get the ball rolling again things have been pretty quiet lately.
Funny thing as much as we all think she’s guilty the folks at the other camp think the opposite
How can that be for the same facts 2=2 =5?
One would wonder how a bunch of same people could be so Diametrically Opposed are we missing something here
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2886453948518019548&postID=4054110039146366980

I think this Brian Watt is no stranger

Brian Watt said...

With regard to sharing legal costs, indeed, if 40 of us chipped in, say, $2,000 up front, and we made monthly payments for a year to the lawyers, each of another $500 a month or something, per person, we have what we need. Right there, is $320,000. I'm in. Count me in. In fact I will contribute more than $2,000down and $500 a month, to the lawyers, so count me in. I'll go way higher than that, on my contribution. Now we just need another 39 people...But I'm in. As they say in poker 'I'm all in".

I understand they have to have a new trial within 6 months?
They keep going on about money for the defense, some indigent people have had the best defense lawyers money can buy provided by the state.

I still think the state will win

Yeah, I read some of his comments on the freemechele blog...the guy sure is vocal about this that's for sure... :crazy::crazy:

I wrote a long post the other day (but my boss interrupted me and I lost it in the shuffle :angel:) about how some of the pro-mechele folks are saying they think the state of Alaska needs to just drop it now because it's so costly to the state of Alaska and the Linehan family. It's starting to remind me of Casey Anthony's lawyers and their whole "the mean old state attorney's office only want the death penalty because they know we can't pay for it and/or had to add more of us so we're qualified." It's ridiculous to think that the decision of whether or not to prosecute someone should be based on whether or not they can afford to pay for the attorneys they want. Am I really missing something here? :waitasec:

One person even said how since Mechele lives in another state now she's not a threat to any Alaskans so why should they bother? Gee...that's awfully kind and logical :waitasec: Why don't all criminals just kill and move to another state and hey that'll be just great! Oooh, and if they get a Master's degree...well, heck, then it's home free! :banghead:

ETA: I think we're waiting for a bond hearing to see if she's going to get out until her trial.

Oh, and I'm not worried about their case with the omission of the movie and letter, although I think the letter should be allowed. In any case, I agree that the state will still win this one.

Speechless. If you knew me, you would know just how incredible this is. I wonder if all these people at Mechelle's website would be so loving toward her if it had been their son/brother/father that she killed. Also, I'm pretty sure that prison employees are not paid to be kind to the inmates. Especially those that show absolutely no remorse for the taking of another's life.

Oh, yes...I'm quite sure that's exactly what will happen....this must be so hard for Kent Leppink's family to take.

[
The one thing the prosecution said that I definitely believe is that "there are two Mechele Linehans"-- I, however, think only one is real. I just don't know which one-- the "scorpion" manipulator who was somehow complicit in a murder plot, or the woman who was essentially railroaded and wrongfully accused. If the latter is true, then it is indeed an outrage.

I understand that it has been Linehan's strategy to try everything in the courtroom and not use the media or internet as instruments of the defense. And I think that's clearly a wise strategy with respect to all accusations and aspersions related to Leppink and his family. However, if Linehan supporters are angry with the way Linehan is being portrayed, then show us where we're wrong. Show me the emails. Show me the official and public documents the media overlooked or misrepresented. I'm very open minded and my only agenda is to understand. To wit, I think that the vast majority of information we've gotten to see (brief work as an exotic dancer, the strained theory about The Last Seduction and Aspiotis' dubious testimony, etc.) has been either totally irrelevant or sensationalized to the point of absurdity. Clearly, when the charge is conspiracy to commit murder, the communications between the parties are the most relevant thing-- so I'm frustrated that we've only gotten to see a few disjointed email snippets in the mainstream media coverage. I'm more than open to the idea that, like you say, those emails were taken out of context and defy the broader picture of the interactions between the parties.

It's clear you are passionate about this case and have access to the transcripts and official information-- upload some of what you think we're missing. I can promise you it will be read and thoughtfully considered.

According to today's post from the Free Mechele blog, the Linehans have secured the funds necessary to release Linehan on bond. They anticipate her release on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

I don't have a problem w/ her getting bond; others do and I don't think she plans to vanish.
Sheree Miller in Michigan is out on bond pending another trial for arranging the murder of her husband.

The one thing the prosecution said that I definitely believe is that "there are two Mechele Linehans"-- I, however, think only one is real. I just don't know which one-- the "scorpion" manipulator who was somehow complicit in a murder plot, or the woman who was essentially railroaded and wrongfully accused. If the latter is true, then it is indeed an outrage.

I understand that it has been Linehan's strategy to try everything in the courtroom and not use the media or internet as instruments of the defense. And I think that's clearly a wise strategy with respect to all accusations and aspersions related to Leppink and his family. However, if Linehan supporters are angry with the way Linehan is being portrayed, then show us where we're wrong. Show me the emails. Show me the official and public documents the media overlooked or misrepresented. I'm very open minded and my only agenda is to understand. To wit, I think that the vast majority of information we've gotten to see (brief work as an exotic dancer, the strained theory about The Last Seduction and Aspiotis' dubious testimony, etc.) has been either totally irrelevant or sensationalized to the point of absurdity. Clearly, when the charge is conspiracy to commit murder, the communications between the parties are the most relevant thing-- so I'm frustrated that we've only gotten to see a few disjointed email snippets in the mainstream media coverage. I'm more than open to the idea that, like you say, those emails were taken out of context and defy the broader picture of the interactions between the parties.

It's clear you are passionate about this case and have access to the transcripts and official information-- upload some of what you think we're missing. I can promise you it will be read and thoughtfully considered.

Hey Nancy,
Have I told you lately how awesome you are? Thank you for putting this into much more eloquent and kind words than I could have. I would love to read more information, too, and have wondered why it's not so available particularly in light of the amount of support.

Anyway, one of those "thanks" button wasn't enough moments:)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back