TX TX - Tommy Lynn Sells

santos1014

Nana to Madelynn and Ethan
Reaction score
Website
profile.myspace.com
Has there ever been any threads here about this person? If so, could someone link me to them? From the little that I have read, it seems he could possibly be linked to some missing/murdered child cases that have run cold or have someone else accused of it. thanks.

Jeana (DP) said:
Here's one that has to do with Julie Rae Harper and her acquittal. It was later determined that Sells murdered her son, Joel:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6119&highlight=Tommy+Sells

Thanks. Wow. Do you know if the DNA on the hair was ever completed? I noticed in several of your posts that you felt you were undecided in this case. Do you still feel the same or are you convinced now that Sells did it?
I also saw some people comparing this case to Darlie.

santos1014 said:
Jeana (DP) said:
Here's one that has to do with Julie Rae Harper and her acquittal. It was later determined that Sells murdered her son, Joel:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6119&highlight=Tommy+Sells[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Wow. Do you know if the DNA on the hair was ever completed? I noticed in several of your posts that you felt you were undecided in this case. Do you still feel the same or are you convinced now that Sells did it?
I also saw some people comparing this case to Darlie.

You're welcome!! I don't remember about the DNA. I know on Crimelibrary.com there is an article about Sells' crimes. He's committed far more than he's been charged with, I believe. I think Darlie's camp is interested in the Sells crimes because they're trying to get people to believe something like this happened there too. Unfortunately, there's too much that points to Darlie, whereas in Julie's case, there was nothing that pointed to her. I guess that answers your other question. I do believe that Sells murdered Joel. It was unfortunate that his mother had to go through so much hell after losing her son. If I can find any other info on him, I'll let you know.

Jeana (DP) said:
You're welcome!! I don't remember about the DNA. I know on Crimelibrary.com there is an article about Sells' crimes. He's committed far more than he's been charged with, I believe. I think Darlie's camp is interested in the Sells crimes because they're trying to get people to believe something like this happened there too. Unfortunately, there's too much that points to Darlie, whereas in Julie's case, there was nothing that pointed to her. I guess that answers your other question. I do believe that Sells murdered Joel. It was unfortunate that his mother had to go through so much hell after losing her son. If I can find any other info on him, I'll let you know.
Oh I am sure Darlie's camp jumped on this one. It does sound familiar, but, once again, the evidence points only one direction..right back at Darlie.
Thanks again for the info. I am trying to get out of the JonBenet mode, as it is becoming a bit of an obsession to me.

santos1014 said:
Oh I am sure Darlie's camp jumped on this one. It does sound familiar, but, once again, the evidence points only one direction..right back at Darlie.
Thanks again for the info. I am trying to get out of the JonBenet mode, as it is becoming a bit of an obsession to me.
He was on the tv last night. Don't know what channel. Isn't he kinda nice creepy, if there is such a thing.

Yes, JonBenet and Darlie at the same time is too much.

Tommy Lynn Sells admitted to killing Joel Kirkpatrick on the March 9th, 07 20/20 update story on Julie Rea Harper case . . . also included is comments by Diane Fanning, the author to whom he first confessed to the crime, even knowing the exact date! There have been several other programs/interviews on TLS in the past few years, including 48 Hours and Discovery Channel's multi-part series on serial killers with Dr. Michael Stone. He also confessed on Montel Williams' Show back in 2003 or 2004 to killing Joel, saying he was hired to kill Julie, and didn't know Joel would be there. From the transcripts I've read of what TLS said, he seemed to know a lot about the crime scene ~ that was interesting. He was in prison, Diane Fanning said, when Darlie's boys were murdered.

One of the last people Tommy Lynn Sells murdered was one of my best-friend's cousin, Kaylene Harris, and slashed the throat of one of her friends that was spending the night, Krystal Surles. The mother of Kaylene and a deaf brother was in the trailer when the horrible thing happened. Krystal walked a good distance to a neighboring house and scratched out the words "Harris family needs help". Kaylene's parents moved here after the murder....she is buried about 30 miles away from here. Very sad.

Has anyone got any information on Tommy Lynn Sells and possible involvement in other unsolved / cold cases BESIDES the ones listed / described in the books authored by Diane Fanning, Donna Hughes, or "Tori Rivers" (and the Radford U. Timeline) / Tru Crime Library web article? I am trying to find out information about his time in Mississippi, especially in 1979 and in connection with the murder of John Cade. I am trying to compile as much information on Sells as I can, so if anyone knows who, if anyone, he is currently communicating with, please advise. Other than the above-described resources, I am also aware of the documentaries of Stephane Bourgoin and the several episodes of "Most Evil"
which comment on and/or feature TLS with Dr. Michael Stone. I have not seen the double episode of "48 Hours" on Sells which aired in 2001, but I have seen the transcript. Inasmuch as it aired in 2001, of course, it mostly concentrates on the Del Rio events which (thankfully) proved to be his last murder and attempted murder. If I may be of any help whatsoever to anyone wondering about whether TLS was possibly involved in a cold case, I am glad to share whatever information I have managed to obtain. Many thanks in advance!

B4igo2it just happened to post this link about Sells on the Michael Klunder thread last night. You may have this info but maybe it can help you in your quest anyway. He would have been about 19 years old during the time period you were looking at. He was definitely a very vicious and evil man.

Tommy Lynn Sells was born on June 28, 1964.

By the time Tommy Lynn Sells was 14-years-old, he had left home with his eighth grade education and a lust for drugs and crime. He became addicted to drugs, anything he could get, as often as he could get it. He was arrested on several occasions and even jailed, but authorities had no idea that they had their hands on a serial killer until it was too late for too many people. Authorities were only able to fill in the details of the transient Tommy Lynn Sells' life after his arrest for murder in 2000.

http://voices.yahoo.com/biography-serial-killer-tommy-lynn-sells-6154624.html?cat=7

Has anyone got any information on Tommy Lynn Sells and possible involvement in other unsolved / cold cases BESIDES the ones listed / described in the books authored by Diane Fanning, Donna Hughes, or "Tori Rivers" (and the Radford U. Timeline) / Tru Crime Library web article? I am trying to find out information about his time in Mississippi, especially in 1979 and in connection with the murder of John Cade. I am trying to compile as much information on Sells as I can, so if anyone knows who, if anyone, he is currently communicating with, please advise. Other than the above-described resources, I am also aware of the documentaries of Stephane Bourgoin and the several episodes of "Most Evil"
which comment on and/or feature TLS with Dr. Michael Stone. I have not seen the double episode of "48 Hours" on Sells which aired in 2001, but I have seen the transcript. Inasmuch as it aired in 2001, of course, it mostly concentrates on the Del Rio events which (thankfully) proved to be his last murder and attempted murder. If I may be of any help whatsoever to anyone wondering about whether TLS was possibly involved in a cold case, I am glad to share whatever information I have managed to obtain. Many thanks in advance!

Still looking in MS, you are prolly aware of the many interviews & documentaries on youtube of TLS. If not, here is the Link: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Tommy+Lynn+sells&sm=12

Have you considered writing to him in prison? SKs luv attention. The last thing on their bucket list of evil, once caught is notoriety.. An acquaintance of mine wrote SK Gary Hilton(GA/NC/FL, etc.) while in Jackson(GA) prison awaiting a DP trial in Tally, FL. SK GMH's reply was very informative..

You may want to put a rush on that letter:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqqj_GXieJM"]Serial killer Tommy Lynn Sells to be executed - YouTube[/ame]
Published on Jan 3, 2014
HOUSTON (AP) - A Texas death row inmate who's been linked to more than a dozen slayings and who's claimed to have committed as many as 70 murders around the country has an execution date. Tommy Lynn Sells is set for lethal injection April 3 in Huntsville. A state judge in Del Rio in Val Verde County last month set the date for the 49-year-old Sells. His lead appeals attorney said Friday lawyers were kind of surprised when they received a copy of the order.

Judge Halts Tommy Lynn Sells Execution
AP | by MICHAEL GRACZYK
Posted: 04/02/2014 1:12 pm EDT Updated: 04/03/2014 8:59 pm EDT

HOUSTON (AP) — A federal appeals court on Wednesday threw out a ruling requiring the Texas prison system to disclose more information about where it gets lethal-injection drugs, reversing a judge who had halted an upcoming execution.

Only hours before the appellate decision, a lower-court judge issued a temporary injunction halting the execution of Tommy Lynn Sells, a convicted serial killer who was set to die Thursday.
Sells, 49, was convicted of killing a 13-year-old South Texas girl asleep at her home in 1999. Kaylene Harris was stabbed nearly two dozen times and had her throat slashed. A 10-year-old friend also was attacked but survived. Sells confessed to the slaying and has been tied to more than 20 others around the nation. He has claimed responsibility for as many as 70 murders.

KayleneHarris.jpg

Kaylene Harris

Texas Serial Killer Executed After Losing Supreme Court Appeal
Posted: 04/03/2014 7:48 pm EDT Updated: 04/04/2014 12:07 am EDT

As the drug began flowing into his arms inside the death chamber in Huntsville, Sells took a few breaths, his eyes closed and he began to snore. After less than a minute, he stopped moving. He was pronounced dead at 6:27 p.m. CDT - 13 minutes after being given the pentobarbital.

Terry Harris, whose 13-year-old daughter, Kaylene Harris, was fatally stabbed by Sells in 1999 in South Texas, watched as Sells was executed, saying the injection was "way more gentle than what he gave out."

"Basically, the dude just took a nap," the father told reporters later outside the prison.

Drifter admits to 13 killings
Jan 13, 2000
AUSTIN, Texas -- A former carnival worker and drifter has confessed to using guns, knives, a bat, a shovel, an ice pick, and his bare hands in killing 13 people around the country, ivestigators said Friday.
Authorities: Drifter says he killed Illinois family
March 4, 2000

Sells confessed to shooting Russell Dardeen of Ina, IL. He also confessed to beating Dardeen's pregnant wife,Ruby -- who gave birth during the attack -- their 3-year-old son, Peter, and the newborn, a girl, Vinger said.

Sells' confession Thursday brings to nine the total number of killings...
BABY GIRL BORN DURING ATTACK WAS MURDERED
By Patrick E. Gauen
Of The Post-Dispatch Staff
INA, Ill. - A baby girl born during a brutal attack on her mother and brother in their home in Ina, Ill., was beaten to death along with them, a source confirmed Saturday. Police have given no clue to whether they have an explanation for the killings. The baby's father was also killed, but unlike the rest of his family, he was
murdered with gunshots and apparently dumped in a field about a mile and a half from their mobile home. Meanwhile, the Jefferson County coroner, Dr. Richard Garretson, said it appeared likely that labor had been induced by fear or the beating suffered by the mother, who was expected to give birth about Jan. 11.
''There are some indications the family was probably terrorized for some time before the deaths occurred,'' he said. ''Whether it was for 15 minutes or two hours, I couldn't begin to tell you.''
8RpHlxa.jpg
krystal-surles-180x131.jpg

Krystal Surles

Suspect talks about slaying
Jan 6, 2000
A drifter charged with murder in Texas has talked about how he allegedly killed a 13-year-old girl in Lexington last May. Tommy Lynn Sells said he got the idea for raping and killing haley McHone as he watched her play on a swing set...

[snipped]
The throats of both Kaylene Harris and Krystal Surles were slashed as the two lay sleeping. Krystal survived...
Man jailed in Texas border town confesses to multiple slayings
Jan 14, 2000

[snipped]
But from her hospital bed the next day, 10-year-old Krystal, unable to speak because of damage to her vocal cords, would use notes and gestures to help investigators draw a sketch of the slayer.
11-year-old rebounds from attack
Jan 21, 2000

Sheriff reopens 17-year-old murder case

oQ6GQ5Y.jpg

Stephanie Mahaney

POSTED: 02:17 PM CDT Apr 03, 2014 UPDATED: 07:30 PM CDT Apr 03, 2014

Greene County Sheriff Jim Arnott said Thursday that he is reopening the investigation of the murder of 13-year-old Stephanie Mahaney in 1997. Arnott wouldn't say exactly that he doesn't believe serial killer Tommy Sells didn't commit the murder, but said he has some doubts after recently re-interviewing Sells in the Texas prison where he was awaiting execution. Sells told detectives at least twice in 2002 that he killed Stephanie.

[snipped]
A Greene County grand jury indicted Sells in 2003 for Stephanie's murder. The case never went to trial, however, because Sells was sentenced to death in Texas and Greene County Prosecuting Attorney Darrell Moore wasn't sure he could get a death penalty here. He didn't see the need to incur the expenses of bringing Sells from Texas to Missouri, housing him here, and trying him here, or risk the chance that Sells might try to escape.
Greene County Sheriff Re-Opening Stephanie Mahaney Murder Case From 1997
Nancy Simpson
April 3, 2014

Choking back the words, "I am Stephanie's voice", Greene County Sheriff Jim Arnott made a surprise announcement today.

He says he's re-opening the Stephanie Mahaney murder case from October 1997, even as the man who was indicted by a grand jury in Greene County is set to die in Texas.

Arnott says he just needs to be sure, so he's re-opening the case Monday...
Stephanie Mahaney's mother counts minutes to execution
Joanna Small Picture Joanna Small, Reporter
POSTED: 10:58 PM CDT Apr 03, 2014

[snipped]

"Moved on? I can't move on from that, that is my baby. Her and I grew up together. I had her when I was 16... no... no it won't happen."

But this will: it's 6 O'clock. Time did move. Suzette [Martin] wants to know if Sells is gone. She searches the internet, watches the news, and waits. Suzette knows how to wait.

And then Greene County Sheriff Jim Arnott calls. Suzette hangs up the phone and says "he's dead."

It's 6:55. It's been 82 minutes... and 17 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back