GUILTY FL - Shannon Dedrick, 7 mo., Chipley, 31 Oct 2009 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITA- and this says it all....

http://primewriter.com/news-1246-headlines/?p=291

So I guess part of what SB said was true about Tina not wanting Shannon anymore.
But I'm furious that both of them kept their traps shut for 5 days, wasting police resources, and panicking those that really love Shannon.
Thankfully though, Shannon has tons of loving extended family who are eager to care for her in the way she deserves. Its just a shame that Tina didn't call on any of them if she couldn't cope with the demands of being a mom anymore.
People are treading lightly because of Tinas condition which might be politically correct, but if teens can be charged as adults, I see no reason why Tina should be treated any differently.
SB may have been the 'brains' behind it, but Tina chose to lie about her daughters wherabouts, putting her in serious danger with the monster that is SB.
Now lets get busy finding Paul, and pray for another happy ending.

PC has no place in a world where so called normal people commit heinous acts against children every day. If Tina was capable of giving birth and pushing people away who wanted to help, then allowing a monster into her life in their place. IMO she is capable of paying the price.

That doesn't mean she should be mistreated, it doesn't mean people don't care. I certainly hope she is given the help she needs so she is never again in a situation like this. That said my gut tells me the two of them cooked this up together, they both need to be charged appropriately.

Is the new picture floating around of Tina a mug shot? Or just something LE snapped for ID purposes? She doesn't look like a happy camper, but she looks more angry or defiant than sad or upset..

What was the long-term plan? It's my understanding that Susan often kept the child, even for days at a time. I suppose that was to give the parents a break & the arrangement was ok with all concerned, including the state agency overseeing Shannon's care..... So what the heck was "auntie S" doing? Chipley is a small town, people would know Shannon had been stolen from her home; Susan could not suddenly pop up with a baby. And I hate to bring this up, but how many times before this week had the baby been in the box when she was in the care of the now infamous sitter? Move over NannyZanny, there's a new girl in town & unfortunately this one is real....... The chest is lined with a bumper pad, some thought went into that setup. Of course, the blankets & pads would muffle sounds. Were air-holes drilled through the wood? I love the aromatic smell of cedar but would not want to be closed into a cedar chest; I cannot imagine a dainty little baby shut in there & in the dark for hours. How did James not know something, if not everything?

Were there marital problems before the baby's disappearance? To what extent had Susan's machinations controlled mom, pop & baby? I am convinced Tab's posts on the local site were a direct result of being manipulated by Susan. What was in it for Tina to allow her husband's aunt to take the baby?..... Is she disturbed or evil?

I hope the Beaufort case will be re-thought. Little Paul deserves justice. As for the Washington County Sheriff's office having knowledge of the charges in South Carolina, certainly they did. That department would have been involved in extraditing the Bakers. And I bet as the investigation began, background checks had been pulled for everyone who had access to the baby or lived nearby. They knew a lot, but until our heronines, EastCoast & Cleo, made their calls to the respective LE agencies, that info had been overlooked. Our ladies were the catalyst to finding little Shannon!!!!!!!

Much has to be said for the guys who actually searched the house.... that box could have been so easily overlooked. I think they were not expecting to find a live child & were told to inspect anything that a tiny baby could have been stuffed into. Stop for a moment & think what that officer experienced when he raised the lid to the cedar chest. Don't you think his heart sank for a moment before he realized she was OK? I bawled when I saw him carrying her to the grandmother & aunt last night. And I was loving it that there were no dry eyes in that room.... except Shannon's. God Bless her little heart!

Also, I haven't seen comments about Tina's mother. She seems to be handling her personal nightmare with dignity & grace. She has to be a strong woman, I had all admiration for her as she spoke through simultaneous pain & joy last night.

I've been reading & thanking, but not posting so I have one more point before I hush. I never thought for one minute LE was referring to Websleuths in the comment about internet blogs. I read some of the posts on the TV & newspaper sites & saw hurtful, hateful, obvious heresay & rumor, personal attacks & all kinds of stuff we do not do here. Yeah Websleuths!

I'm NOT defending the mother here, but I can't help but wonder if the mom thought she was somehow "helping" Shannon by allowing SB to assume care/custody. Up till this all started, it seems that SB cared for the baby at least on occasion; perhaps the mom only saw a loving, nurturing side of SB. Add all the prior CPS involvement, and mom becomes convinced (likely by SB) that CPS is going to remove the baby one way or another. All SB has to do now is convince mom that the baby would be far better off with HER instead of in foster care, and mom agrees. As an added incentive to keep mom quiet, SB tells her that if mom ever tells the truth, the baby will be taken from both of them and will definitely end up in foster care and mom will never see the baby again, either. Mom may have been thinking this plan was the best of both worlds; someone who loves her child is willing to care for her full time (thus relieving the burden of parenthood, while still providing the opportunity to see the baby or know how she's doing) and avoiding the inevitable foster care placement. Seeing how Susan was so generous previously at reporting the parents to CPS, I can see a scenario where SB engineered the entire ordeal - first putting the wheels in motion, and then following through with the plan. The biggest catch would be that mom would have to report the baby missing, though. Even though it seems that the CPS case was closed, there were several other agencies still working with the family - agencies that would have noticed if the baby was no longer in the home and would have reported it to CPS, which again would have caused the baby to be taken from SB and put in care...Now, why anyone would think this plan would actually work is beyond me...

Not saying this is what happened, I'm just throwing a theory out there. I have seen many parents who did not want their children "stash" them with friends or family when they fear that CPS may remove - they don't want them, but they don't want CPS to take them, either...

It chills me to the bone to know that baby Shannon was put in that cedar box that had a lid and a hasp to keep it shut in case she was strong enough to kick it open, I hope she has no ill effects from having to breathe the fumes from the cedar and dust from the baking soda. Thank The Lord that she survived the madness of SB.

I do believe as a previous poster said that SB tricked the mother into giving her the baby (maybe to babysit her for the weekend) and then told the mother the baby had been stolen. That would explain why the mother called 911.

My questions are about the box itself. How old was it and how long did SB have it? Could it have been used before with Paul or some another child? I hope the LE check it for DNA.

I'm NOT defending the mother here, but I can't help but wonder if the mom thought she was somehow "helping" Shannon by allowing SB to assume care/custody. Up till this all started, it seems that SB cared for the baby at least on occasion; perhaps the mom only saw a loving, nurturing side of SB. Add all the prior CPS involvement, and mom becomes convinced (likely by SB) that CPS is going to remove the baby one way or another. All SB has to do now is convince mom that the baby would be far better off with HER instead of in foster care, and mom agrees. As an added incentive to keep mom quiet, SB tells her that if mom ever tells the truth, the baby will be taken from both of them and will definitely end up in foster care and mom will never see the baby again, either. Mom may have been thinking this plan was the best of both worlds; someone who loves her child is willing to care for her full time (thus relieving the burden of parenthood, while still providing the opportunity to see the baby or know how she's doing) and avoiding the inevitable foster care placement. Seeing how Susan was so generous previously at reporting the parents to CPS, I can see a scenario where SB engineered the entire ordeal - first putting the wheels in motion, and then following through with the plan. The biggest catch would be that mom would have to report the baby missing, though. Even though it seems that the CPS case was closed, there were several other agencies still working with the family - agencies that would have noticed if the baby was no longer in the home and would have reported it to CPS, which again would have caused the baby to be taken from SB and put in care...Now, why anyone would think this plan would actually work is beyond me...

Not saying this is what happened, I'm just throwing a theory out there. I have seen many parents who did not want their children "stash" them with friends or family when they fear that CPS may remove - they don't want them, but they don't want CPS to take them, either...

I can see this happening. I do think that SB was just preying upon the couple, realizing that she had the upper hand, if it's true that the parents do have some type of mental disability. A predatory personality would certainly see this couple as the perfect opportunity.

I do not buy any defense that says the parents have no idea what they did because of mental immaturity.
Even a 5 year old knows it is wrong what they did.
Calling about a kidnapping and giving their baby away.
IMO, they got sick of caring for a baby like some people do with a puppy.
SB is evil, she concocked this whole thing and probably liked abusing this precious baby.
NO ONE even a child with a doll, puts anything living in a cedar box!
Little Shannon couldn't move or anything in that dark coffin, alone, needing changed
and feed. Imagine!!!!
IMO, put these 3 in a box for 15 hours exactly like the baby they tortured.
IMO, if parents would of told the truth...........Shannon would of been found asap!
I guess everyone can tell I'm furious! sorry for the rant!

When they intend to terminate the parent's rights, they don't allow visitation. She will never get that baby back, so that comforts me.

What???? Honestly, there is zero chance they're even thinking of terminating her rights completely. She won't get full legal custody again, due to her mental disability and now demonstrated inability to make reasonable decisions about keeping Shannon safe, but she'll have certainly visitation rights. She's mentally disabled and there's no evidence she's ever intentionally harmed Shannon (or even actually harmed her unintentionally). If any court tried to terminate her parental rights without a provision for regular visitation, the decision would simply be thrown out on appeal.

Nancy Grace is going to talk about baby Shannon tonight on her show. :)

Shannon was found in a 2x3 cedar box under the bed. She'd been there for 12 hrs. Mom is in jail along with the babysitter. What is wrong with these people??? :banghead:

they are just driving him around the neighborhood lookiing for his parents.
(

OT: Why would they do that? They should take him back to the station, or to a child care facility and wait for the parents to call police to report him missing. That way they can find out how long it really takes for them to notice he was missing. Critically important info, IMO, in determining whether it's safe to give him back to them.

Nancy is showing photos of the cedar chest. Thank goodness she survived!! Shannon is in state custody tonight with a foster couple.

Shannon was found in a 2x3 cedar box under the bed. She'd been there for 12 hrs. Mom is in jail along with the babysitter. What is wrong with these people??? :banghead:

They surrounded her with baking soda to keep her from smelling. :furious:

NG covering Shannon.........no bottle, no toy....just baking soda...........locked in box for 12 hours.......thick chest.

Ready to just bury here.......IMO

thank GOD she is in a loving foster home for now. Maybe they can get her back to her 7 months progress.
Does she even sit up?
Was Shannon used to the box???
NG talking to grandma (Tina) ...she sounds normal.
MK says this story is one of the CRAZIEST!!!

My mom called and I missed what the Grandma said about her daughter, Tina. Did anyone get that?

her daughter Tina is so CONFUSED..........

I'm sorry, but Tina should never have any more children if she in not capable of taking care of them properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member