IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
966525_630x354.jpg

Last Updated Oct 1, 2015 1:38 PM EDT
FOX LAKE, Ill. -- The northern Illinois police officer found dead last month was shot with his own weapon, but detectives were still treating it as a homicide investigation based on evidence that included signs of a struggle, the lead investigator said Thursday.

After vetting the information and concluding it wouldn't harm the investigation, authorities confirmed for the first time that Fox Lake police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz was shot with his own weapon. He was struck by two rounds, one that hit his ballistic vest with the force of a "sledgehammer" and another that pierced his upper chest, said Lake County Major Crimes Task Force Commander George Filenko.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fox-lak...s-joseph-gliniewicz-unidentified-dna-samples/
[...]
“In layman’s terms the weapon could have been fired by Lieutenant Gliniewicz, or he could have been in close proximity to the weapon being fired,” Filenko said.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/10/01/slain-fox-lake-police-officer-was-shot-with-his-own-weapon/

Case Map
(Thanks to Steelman.)

Scanner Thread

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4

Hope this ok I don't know how to carry post from previous thread.

This is for Cubby to answer from yesterday. Post 1050 from thread #4

You quoted my post with answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
Obviously. If someone was close enough to him to shoot him at close range they couldn't grab both the gun and the radio. The dispatcher should have heard something if lt. CG wasn't alone. The radio should have picked something up if there was a scuffle of some sort.

1bbm Obviously what?

2bbm Why?

3bbmWhy should the radio pick something up?

TIA

That was a chore.
I guess something happened on the forum because slowly the threads are returning.

Could a mod link to thread five on the other threads since they are closed.

ETA all threads are now up.....glad to see we didn't lose anything because I often refer back to previous threads for maps, pics and links etc....

That was a chore.
I guess something happened on the forum because slowly the threads are returning.

Could a mod link to thread five on the other threads since they are closed and number one is dull missing as far as I can see thanks.
Good to be back.....sorta.

I want to pick up from the other thread.
The discussion regarding the Feds.

As I have said there are investigations regarding the feds looking into fox lake and the surrounding counties.

Like the other poster this is knowledge I personally have because of ties in various agencies.

Federal agencies are always having little scuffles.
The lead on the death of Joe is of course The task force but that doesn't mean there are not others being investigated independent of death etc....

If you want links that is going to be difficult as the other poster said.
You can get some inkling of what is going on by googling corruption and the various PDs and town Govs.

I however unlike the other poster have not heard this is homicide according to the feds . Most of what I have learned is the investigations have nothing to do with his death except that he died. Those I know with department ties have told be the scuttlebutt is he committed suicide and they thought that pretty soon after the evidence didn't pan out.

The DHS is involved for two reasons. They would have been alerted as is protocol when LE requests federal help. Also remember the first video was turned over to them because the man who owned it had personal ties to the agency.

I hope that helps a little. I don't mean to be cryptic but what I know is from personal discussions and from professional and I tried to give ways to learn some of this yourself.
MSM is not going to report an investigation that is still not well known but you can find bits of pieces of people being interviewed, removed, etc..... as well as other posters pointed out past investigations in this area......

Looking up from last thread....

The dead airtime someone mentioned after Joe's last call? Maybe That was him landing on his radio button?

Whew! glad we are back! The mystery of the missing threads was up there with the mysteries of this case! JMO

The dead airtime someone mentioned after Joe's last call? Maybe That was him landing on his radio button?

Appears to have happened about 5 minutes after his last call & about 45 seconds before backup arrived. if I've had enough coffee. :)

According to Walkers post thread #4 post #1061

7:59:45 Dead air

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/09...h-fox-lake-officer-charles-joseph-gliniewicz/

7:52 a.m. Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz calls dispatch, reports three men acting “suspicious.”
7:55 a.m. Gliniewicz calls in for backup. (At some point, the three suspects ran into a swamp.)
8:01 a.m. Additional officers arrive.
8:09 a.m. The officers find Gliniewicz’s body.

Yes that was my thought as well jmo idk

They Probably didn't hear the shot because they were still in the car but if they had sirens on I would think he heard them.....

They Probably didn't hear the shot because they were still in the car but if they had sirens on I would think he heard them.....

Listening to a scanner (about everyday) I would think that they would go in silent. jmo

Listening to a scanner (about everyday) I would think that they would go in silent. jmo

On a backup call? I would think they wouldn't but they might have....
Silent is usually for DV or Burglary IP.

Poor old Donny Schmidt might be getting questions from all angles...JMO

On a backup call? I would think they wouldn't but they might have....
Silent is usually for DV or Burglary IP.

Right but back up had no idea what crime the 3 reported were supposedly committing. JMO

Poor old Donny Schmidt might be getting questions from all angles...JMO

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go soon.

I am also waiting to see who gets the chief job. That will be very telling.

Right but back up had no idea what crime the 3 reported were supposedly committing. JMO

But it was a call for backup of already fleeing suspects so they had need to arrive quickly and no need to not tip offo he suspects as they were already fleeing into the swamp supposedly having been tipped off by Joe.

I dont know why they would go in silent in that case.

So I am thinking the sirens might have prompted the gunshot timing.....

Looking from the previous thread you asked for link about the cruiser and location.

Video at link below is precision chrome employee saying the cruiser, (officer's car) was parking just in front of the gate, 6 seconds into the video.

http://patch.com/illinois/crystallake/video-fox-lake-man-watched-aftermath-cops-murder-unfold

Also in the video the precision chrome employee says he could see where they(le) were with joe's body. So it doesn't seem that he was too in past the gate.

Considering he is a very Laval worker I found this interesting from the start especially after Filenko made out like this area was central for all sorts of crimes recently.

Viciciondi said squatters once lurked in the wooded, swampy area by Precision Chrome but seemed to have moved on years ago. He’s at a loss for what the men were doing there when Gliniewicz saw them, particularly considering the early hour.

“It was just a weird time, too,” he said. “Even if you were doing something you weren’t supposed to be doing, you wouldn’t think at almost 8 o’clock you’d be doing it.”

Each officer's radio transmits a unique ID. We can sometimes hear it on other radios or scanners and different types of identifiers have different sounds. Most scanners will not usually decode the data burst and display the officer's ID (let alone record it). However, the dispatcher's recording system certainly would have done so.

Each officer's radio transmits a unique ID. We can sometimes hear it on other radios or scanners and different types of identifiers have different sounds. Most scanners will not usually decode the data burst and display the officer's ID (let alone record it). However, the dispatcher's recording system certainly would have done so.

Interesting. Thank you. So we might know who was the result of the dead air. Would help them pin down some timelines if they knew it was joe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv