Found Deceased TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #3 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bay Vista Drive also shows up on a background check for SM and CSM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it give block number same as Sheriff Office post? 4000 block? That one should be in Chambers County but I do not find anything on the Property lookup for that county

Does it give block number same as Sheriff Office post? 4000 block? That one should be in Chambers County but I do not find anything on the Property lookup for that county

It is a different block number.

Their chid's teacher mentioned that they had just moved into this home this summer, and that is why it wasn't showing up on address searches.

Respectfully SBM...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but this describes a crime of passion to me.

It seems to.

I discovered yesterday that crimes of passion can't be based on a previous conflict. I'd say that CM and SM's entire relationship over the last few months was one ongoing conflict.

I think a better example of a crime of passion would be if a wife came home and caught her husband cheating, then pulled a gun out of her purse and shot him.

If he just found out she was with someone else it would suffice even if they had conflicts over other things as well. This is a good explanation in general about the law as it applies in TX: https://brettpodolsky.com/general-law/crimes-of-passion-the-definition-history-and-laws

I think our anger over the devastation that results from crimes like this typically leads to a desire for the strongest sentences or charges. But it's not always appropriate. A person lying in wait and meticulously planning is more cold-blooded and calculating than one who flies into a rage and attacks. I'm not sure which one is at play here but it does seem that if it was premeditated it might have been better planned.

That being said, the sheriff's comments rub me the wrong way. From what I've seen thus far this man was possessive and threatening. He didn't punch her in the face causing her to hit her head and die. He strangled her for minutes while their kids lay in bed or wherever.

After the fact he seemed to recover quite quickly from whatever "rage" he was in and began to cover his tracks. His posting of several updates on his wife being missing, on his facebook, is particularly atrocious. He knew she was dead and tried to act like a worried husband. He wasn't wailing in remorse and immediately confessing. He carefully hid her car and disposed of her body and did it in a way as to make her seem like the type who meets at motels for sex.

So he had the wherewithal to plan all that out.

If not carefully planned, I don't get things like this. What kind of weirdos are so out of control with their emotions that they can spend long minutes strangling a struggling ex to death with their bare hands, over jealousy and anger? Unless he came home and found a predator harming a loved one, or another similar situation, I don't believe a normal person can be "provoked" to commit murder or assault. This type of person has had anger and control and domination issues previously. I don't think a nice man is capable of this.

I believe this guy had a fragile ego and was abusive in some form toward his spouse. He couldn't allow her to leave him and became increasingly more enraged and desperate to control her and then to punish her.

He is a danger to society and needs to be locked up for decades at a minimum. I don't like the sheriff's sympathetic tone and comments that almost seem to blame the victim. I hope that's just tactic to keep him cooperating. I don't know.

I'm just so glad he never killed himself and especially the children before they were taken by law enforcement.

I've wondered about this, too. When I read that she had only been dating the BF for about 3 weeks, it makes more sense. It seems that she may have met him and they clicked and she got swept up in the thrill of the new relationship but she hadn't been planning on dating anyone, if just happened.

The texts with her and her friend indicated she hadn't told Steve about the BF. (I wouldn't be surprised if he knew, however...I think he kept close tabs on her).

I think he may have gone along with the divorce because he actually did plan to kill her at some point. It would also explain why he tried to keep it secret that they had divorced.

I think he went along with the divorce because he thought it wouldn't matter, he would win her back. I don't think he ever believed it was over, especially since they still lived together. He seems like the sort who thinks nobody would want to leave him.

ETA I should read before posting since some of you already shared this thought :) Whoever said he thought it was a phase is spot on with my opinion.

It seems to.

If he just found out she was with someone else it would suffice even if they had conflicts over other things as well. This is a good explanation in general about the law as it applies in TX: https://brettpodolsky.com/general-law/crimes-of-passion-the-definition-history-and-laws

TX 19.02 states,

[FONT=&quot](1) "Adequate cause" means cause that would commonly produce a degree of anger, rage, resentment, or terror in a person of ordinary temper, sufficient to render the mind incapable of cool reflection.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot](2) "Sudden passion" means passion directly caused by and arising out of provocation by the individual killed or another acting with the person killed which passion arises at the time of the offense and is not solely the result of former provocation.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
I bolded my issue with the law. I guess I'm just confused as to how the "sudden passion" aspect of it can even be proven. There were only two people in the room, and one of them is dead. I can understand a man feeling provoked if he walks in on his wife sleeping with someone else--that is something that would inspire an immediate reaction. But in Crystal's case, we have no idea what caused him to strangle her. If it's something as insignificant as she refused to tell him where she slept that night, is that really enough? And even if it is, we're just supposed to take his word for it, not knowing what really happened in that house? For all we know he could have been right there in the garage waiting for her and she didn't have time to say a word.

I think I would be very disappointed if these questions went unanswered and he was able to somehow get years rather than decades in jail.

It is a different block number.

The housing development is still very much under construction. The online data may not be up to date. I would just go with what the cop said in his press conference.

Oops this was supposed to quote Mimi, sorry!

Their chid's teacher mentioned that they had just moved into this home this summer, and that is why it wasn't showing up on address searches.

Wait... so did they buy and move into this house after they filed for divorce?

ETA I looked up the deed and it looks like it was entered in 07.25.2017, but it was in his name only.

I hate to bring this up again, but thinking back to the sheriff's words before Crystal was found and before Steve was arrested...When he was asked why he thought Crystal may have been a victim of foul play, the Sheriff theorized that someone may have harmed Crystal because of jealousy and that person thought she was in an "inappropriate romantic relationship". Now that we know she was killed by her ex husband, I wonder if those words originally came from the ex when he was speaking to LE and the sheriff repeated them. SM may have been trying to point the finger at the boyfriend, but, if he said it, it revealed his own motive. He thought she should not be with anyone but him. He told her she was never going to leave their house and she defied him. From SM's twisted point of view she was not free, even though they were legally divorced. JMO.

I'm just so glad he never killed himself and especially the children before they were taken by law enforcement.

I agree, and I am certain that Crystal's last conscious thought most likely was fear that he would kill the children next.

I smell a crime of passion defense if this guy gets him a hot shot Texas attorney like Dick DeGuerin or the like but I do not think it will work. We never know after Robert Durst chopped up a man and walked on that case...

I FINALLY found the listings for that street. There are 17 addresses in the 4000 block (all numbers are 4000) None of the owners names are McDowell... http://www.chamberscad.org

I can't upload a photo because I can't figure it out on my phone, otherwise I would post a screenshot. You can look the deed up on here but you have to log in, if this won't show you the info.

https://www.texasonlinerecords.com/realproperty/search.xhtml

It's lot 44, block 4, legends bay

I hate to bring this up again, but thinking back to the sheriff's words before Crystal was found and before Steve was arrested...When he was asked why he thought Crystal may have been a victim of foul play, the Sheriff theorized that someone may have harmed Crystal because of jealousy and that person thought she was in an "inappropriate romantic relationship". Now that we know she was killed by her ex husband, I wonder if those words originally came from the ex when he was speaking to LE and the sheriff repeated them. SM may have been trying to point the finger at the boyfriend, but, if he said it, it revealed his own motive. He thought she should not be with anyone but him. He told her she was never going to leave their house and she defied him. From SM's twisted point of view she was not free, even though they were legally divorced. JMO.

Interesting thought! Does anyone have his exact quote on that handy? Or remember when and where that was said? I looked in the transcripts and can't find it. I think he said the motive could be that someone believed she was in an inappropriate relationship. Paraphrased, not word for word, because I can't remember exactly. But if he said it in that sort of way, it definitely speaks to the ex's frame of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993