Who will get Zahra's remains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO Adam might not care who has Zahra's remains but I bet his mother does. I believe it could turn into a tug of war between G'ma and Emily. I don't like people to fight over loved ones or their possessions. It's so sad.

^ Yes, you're right......KB and ED are not going to agree on that, but ED has more rights.

I'm not sure whether this has already been posted .... forgive me if it has.

Australian national news just reported that our Prime Minster, Julia Gillard, is personally overseeing that consulate officials assist Emily to bring Zahra's remains home. (source: Channel 7 News Australia). It was also reported that our PM was advised of the latest development some days ago.

ETA: There was no mention of support for AB. Interesting. There was reference to Zahra's 'mother' (Emily) a couple of times.

Thank you, Nosee. I am so grateful Zahra has captured the attention of the highest ranking official! She deserves to be back in her homeland.

Australian national news just reported that our Prime Minster, Julia Gillard, is personally overseeing that consulate officials assist Emily to bring Zahra's remains home. (source: Channel 7 News Australia). It was also reported that our PM was advised of the latest development some days ago.

ETA: There was no mention of support for AB. Interesting. There was reference to Zahra's 'mother' (Emily) a couple of times.

Our government will offer very little assistance to AB IMO. Perhaps some cursory words, very little if anything can be done even if they wanted to.

OH THANK YOU GOD!!! Just the way it should be,such a relief to know that Australia is doing the right thing for Zahra and Im sure the USA too :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Good for Australia...after hearing this I'll bet she pushed through the visa for ED to come her for Zahra...Bless their compassion...JMHO

Oh HELL yes!!

Um, sorry if that offends anyone but it's the only phrase that even begins to express my elation at the ONE piece of news we've had the last few days that is at all positive.

Emily deserves all the support she can get to be able to take Zahra home. GO Ms Gillard, if I were Australian you'd have my vote for life.

carrying this link over from the newslinks thread

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5795733&postcount=162"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Zahra Baker MEDIA links only **NO DISCUSSION**[/ame]

Aus. consulate is working closely with ED to get Zahra's remains released to her.

I have no legal presidence to quote, but I really don't think AB would want Zahra's remains unless it were to just simply be mean to the biological Mom. But there you have AB's Mom who would have a fit if Zahra's remains were not return to OZ and buried. So, I think Zahra's remains will return to OZ with the biological Mom and be buried there.

IMO, this is going to be a difficult call for the USA IF the USA has anything to say in the matter at all. As it stands, Adam has "primary" custody of Zahra, and so far the only charges he faces are not related to Zahra.

We I personally don't know if Adam has the right to get an emergency hearing in the USA Family courts and turn over his "primary" custodial rights to his mother, just in case Adam is charged with Zahra's death.

I have a feeling though that Adam's attorney is checking into the legality of who has the rights to Zahra's remains.

It's so sad, but this just may end up being a battle to the end of Zahra's final resting place. :(

Any custody issues would have to be dealt with in the Australian Family Courts. And they can be done via video link or telephone link from the courts to another country.

If AB can show that he has valid court documents then the only one that can change those documents are the court which issued them.

I don't think he could just sign Z over to someone if there are court orders in place between both parents.

If ED wanted to protest the court orders or make application for change of circumstances IMO she would have to do it in Australia and then if she gains full parental responsibility then the Australian Family Court would seek a recovery order on her behalf and then make new orders. And extended family members can apply to change orders too.

The best outcome for both parents would be to find a suitable location for a memorial service/s and then hypothetically if Z were cremated they could share her ashes and do what they feel appropriate with them.

It is not uncommon for people to spread ashes and at the same time allow others to do the same.

It would be complicated if the parents were to fight over a burial plot though if they decided to bury Z.

Edited: just noticed another post which may make a difference and responded below.

Just noticed your post after sending my post.

I haven't seen the news report or the link however, This is interesting news considering there is no mention of support for AB as that sounds as though he will not be able to object to the PM's decision.

Any custody issues are going to wait until charges are brought down. Whether or not AB goes to jail. If he does - then that's it - he'll have no rights at all. If he doesn't - well it seems that ED has the Prime Minister of Australia offering any help needed and I think that would include any type of court order needed.

JMHO

OT:

netsleuther, I am truly very sorry for your loss of Zahra. It's good to have you back and wondered how you were holding up. May you be given the comfort and strength you deserve to survive this. I am sorry that this has been so sad and complicated. Zahra and her family deserved better. God bless you on your journey.

Any custody issues are going to wait until charges are brought down. Whether or not AB goes to jail. If he does - then that's it - he'll have no rights at all. If he doesn't - well it seems that ED has the Prime Minister of Australia offering any help needed and I think that would include any type of court order needed.

JMHO

If AB goes to jail ED will have full parental responsibility of Z.

I have always been a firm believer that children need both parents in their lives and I have always been against parental alienation. It will be interesting to see how this pans out now that the PM is on the case too.

That's the BEST news I've heard all day :)

I still think there's likely to be a battle over Zahra's remains. I personally believe she will be turned over to ED as AB had allegedly taken her illegally from Aus.

I would really need more information on the Australian-based Family Court's orders regarding Zahra, and the issuing of her Australian passport and VISA to the US before I would have any opinion on either of those points.

ED had, we are told in the media, surrendered "custody" of Zahra to AB when she was a baby, and while ED was suffering post-natal depression. Do we know if this was officially heard in the Family Court? Or were there private arrangements made through lawyers, or other arrangements made? I am not certain if this was done through legal means or not. The Family Court in Australia is the body with ultimate jurisdiction in this regard. I would welcome any confirmation of details on this.

I had a number of experiences in the Family Court around the late 1990s in the state of Victoria. From state-to-state I understand there are no differences in Family Law in Australia. At that time there was no such thing as "custody", instead they had a term "responsibility for day-to-day parenting". This did not give one parent complete power over the decision-making issues relating to the child, simply those relating to day-to-day care. Big issues such as "which school?" etc, had to be agreed upon by both parents. It is quite different to law in the USA, so you need to understand the word "custody" has no legal meaning in this case.

In Australia during that period, and until this day, there is little interest in the rights of the parents - the concern is for the children. The laws are driven by the view that a child has the right to know each of their parents. Parents have no rights to see their children ... it is the other way around! Irrespective of the circumstances, such as a parent being in jail, being an unsound parent, an abusive parent, etc, provision is still made for the child to know that parent - arrangements are made for such situations to have chaperones to accompany the children and ensure their safety at all times. This also occurs for interstate/overseas visits to parents.

If a person wishes to request access to their children, then all that's required is a visit to the Family Court. Legal Aid is available for those who do not have the money to pay for a private lawyer (it is means tested). Since the law upholds the right of the child to know their parents, such a case would support ED gaining access to her daughter. This is unless there was a previous order where she gave away all rights. Even in that case the court may reverse it if: 1) a psychologist's review with the child indicated that they want to know that other parent; or 2) on the basis of interest by the parent (which would be seen to benefit the child as it would get to know that parent).

Do we know if ED went to the Family Court of Australia requesting access to Zahra? If she failed to do so, then she did not take the logical, legal, appropriate and readily accessible action to rekindle the relationship. There are no obstacles if going through the Family Court. Australia's Freedom of Information Act ensures that people have access to information, so ED should have been able to locate Zahra at any time (unless there were Family Court Orders that prevented this!). The only other scenario is if the child is over 12 and refuses to continue the relationship with the parent, the Family Court will support this request ... but this is clearly irrelevant in the case of Zahra and ED.

With regards to the passport and VISA. You cannot leave Australia and gain entry to the USA without the correct and valid passport and VISA. These need to be arranged prior to leaving Australia. The passport can take months from application, to approval, and finally the supply (even if you pay the surcharge to gain priority passport release it can take weeks).

If a parent does not have the signature of the second biological parent/legal guardian on the application form for the child's passport, then it is necessary to fill in a second comprehensive form to explain the legal reason for the single parent's application. All signatures and witness signatures are investigated by the Passport office (witnesses are phoned to verify that they witnessed the second parent signing the form). It is REALLY strict.

I doubt Zahra would have already had a passport prior to her trip to the USA. Also children's passports are quite deliberately short duration. Is anyone aware if Zahra had any previous overseas holidays?

So, hopefully that explains: 1) why I'm not sure that ED would have any rights to Zahra's remains ... it's highly likely she would be returned to her grandmother's care for burial as this is the person who cared for her in Australia; and 2) I have serious doubts about there being anything illegal regarding her being taken from Australia to the USA.

snipped from Flakes post number 23 on this topic on another thread. My responses in red

ED had, we are told in the media, surrendered "custody" of Zahra to AB when she was a baby, and while ED was suffering post-natal depression. Do we know if this was officially heard in the Family Court? Or were there private arrangements made through lawyers, or other arrangements made?

ME: We have been told by ED that she and Adam had joint custody and he had physical custody with her enjoying visitation at times. Do we know otherwise?

Do we know if ED went to the Family Court of Australia requesting access to Zahra?

ME: We are told that ED was attempting to find out through the courts where AB and Zahra were. Do you know that she did not or was not attempting to do that?

So, hopefully that explains: 1) why I'm not sure that ED would have any rights to Zahra's remains ... it's highly likely she would be returned to her grandmother's care for burial as this is the person who cared for her in Australia; and 2) I have serious doubts about there being anything illegal regarding her being taken from Australia to the USA.

ME: My responses explain 1) why I am not sure why ED shouldn't be given Zahra's remains to bury as she chooses. and as to 2) Because the Australian Govt has stated that AB should be detained due to his being in the US illegally. AB was the parent who brought Zahra to the US therefor he brought her here illegally as well. Neither AB or ZB should have been here according to Australian authorities.

I personally think AB, ED, and KB should all come to a common ground on this matter and bury her in a place they can all agree on. I just cant imagine Zahra being happy about any kind of family fued over her final resting place. I would hope that 3 adults would take into consideration where Zahra would want to be and place her there. It saddens me to even think about there being any discord over this subject. I hope they all put thier love for Zahra ahead of any hard feelings and put her in a place she had special happy times. JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa