Audio/Video Interview Transcription Project

BeanE

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
casesignal.wordpress.com
I find that where we have only audio or video, I'm frequenting wanting a copy in text, preferably searchable text.

I'm more than happy to volunteer to transcribe Cindy Anthony's interview from August 4.

Some thoughts on making this into a project:

- Decide first which interviews to transcribe
- Make sure a transcription doesn't already exist
- Have one person per interview who volunteers to transcribe
- Need volunteers to listen and read the transcriptions, identify words spoken that are missing from, or sound different from, what's read in the transcription. Either clarify or bring to the project thread to ask others to also volunteer to listen and read to help clarify, and then agree on the word(s)
- Decide on a format, what kind of file, etc. (I'd personally prefer a plain old ordinary text file. We could also offer a text file plus a PDF file or whatever we wanted.)

Anybody else game?

TIA,
BeanE

I find that where we have only audio or video, I'm frequenting wanting a copy in text, preferably searchable text.

I'm more than happy to volunteer to transcribe Cindy Anthony's interview from August 4.

- Need volunteers to listen and read the transcriptions, identify words spoken that are missing from, or sound different from, what's read in the transcription. Either clarify or bring to the project thread to ask others to also volunteer to listen and read to help clarify, and then agree on the word(s)
- Decide on a format, what kind of file, etc. (I'd personally prefer a plain old ordinary text file. We could also offer a text file plus a PDF file or whatever we wanted.)

Anybody else game?

TIA,
BeanE

Great idea BeanE, definitely could use them for the Cindy 8/4 and George interviews.

I have the CD from the State Attorney's office with the audio, and there are no transcripts for either on it.

Great idea BeanE, definitely could use them for the Cindy 8/4 and George interviews.

I have the CD from the State Attorney's office with the audio, and there are no transcripts for either on it.

Hi Muzikman. Thanks for verifying no transcripts on that CD!

Also thanks for providing the WMA file for the Cindy Aug 4 interview. It's soooo much clearer than the audio on the other site. Listening to it again now. This is great!

Anybody else game?

TIA,
BeanE
Since that is what I do (lol) I'll offer up my services. Let me know which one or ones you want done!!! Glad to help. You can PM me with details.

Since that is what I do (lol) I'll offer up my services. Let me know which one or ones you want done!!! Glad to help. You can PM me with details.

Me too. I'll type up whatever we need. Please let me know and I'll get working on it! :)

That's so great, Swag and Pink Panther! :) :blowkiss:

I've actually already started on Cindy Aug 4 since I'm listening to it again anyhow lol.

I'm just putting it into a plain old Notepad text file, and I can convert it from that to any other format.

Swag, do you know of a reference on the web for a standard format and markups we could use? Or how would you recommend we do this? Right now I'm just using:

Cindy A: blah blah blah(sic)

(phone ringing)

John D: Get off the phone, Cindy. (whistles)

lol. Just an example. But it's quick and easy for me to change to whatever format and markup is decided on. I don't have any preference, I just want to be consistent with what everybody uses, and what's easiest for people to read.

You could each just pick any interview you want to do. I think they're all in the Interview reference sticky.

Maybe we could get Muzikman to volunteer to confirm that whatever interview people pick to transcribe doesn't have a transcript on the CD. Then I think it's also a matter of checking the Interview sticky and maybe doing a Google search for any existing transcript that might be on a news website or that somebody out there has just done on their own that could be linked to.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for volunteering :)

ETA: We could even split interviews to transcribe. I'm just thinking we could identify a half hour's worth or whatever, and pick a sentence there, and just say "I'll take from hour/minute with the sentence that says 'xxxxxxxx' ". Would that make sense? Maybe we need some more volunteers for that lol.

As far as formatting - your example (I think) would be fine. Except insted of full first names - usually it is done with just initials - also makes it easier and faster.

I do agree that we need a list of which ones NEED to be done so as to avoid duplication.

Also there are two different forms - verbatim and clarified. Verbatim includes the umms, - kinda like AL's first interview - the one that gave me headaches trying to read.

If someone could start a list as to the ones that need to be done that would be cool. Plus - the list should also include a link to the audio as it would be easier to access and get it done.

You also mentioned something about proofing the ones that are already done. I have noticed many many mistakes in some transcripts that LE released. Should we do those as well? We could call those "corrected" or "proofed".

As far as formatting - your example (I think) would be fine. Except insted of full first names - usually it is done with just initials - also makes it easier and faster.

I do agree that we need a list of which ones NEED to be done so as to avoid duplication.

Also there are two different forms - verbatim and clarified. Verbatim includes the umms, - kinda like AL's first interview - the one that gave me headaches trying to read.

If someone could start a list as to the ones that need to be done that would be cool. Plus - the list should also include a link to the audio as it would be easier to access and get it done.

You also mentioned something about proofing the ones that are already done. I have noticed many many mistakes in some transcripts that LE released. Should we do those as well? We could call those "corrected" or "proofed".

I'm good with whatever you guys want to assign to me. I'll type up whatever I hear including the "umms"...just give me a link and let me know!

Maybe we could get Muzikman to volunteer to confirm that whatever interview people pick to transcribe doesn't have a transcript on the CD. Then I think it's also a matter of checking the Interview sticky and maybe doing a Google search for any existing transcript that might be on a news website or that somebody out there has just done on their own that could be linked to.

The only ones I see missing from the 9/26 Doc Dump are the Cindy and George audio ones, and the 2-hour Cindy video. Pretty sure all the other ones have transcripts posted on CF News 13.

I have the audio files (WMA) if the ones you get off the net aren't so good too.

The only ones I see missing from the 9/26 Doc Dump are the Cindy and George audio ones, and the 2-hour Cindy video. Pretty sure all the other ones have transcripts posted on CF News 13.

I have the audio files (WMA) if the ones you get off the net aren't so good too.
Ok - I"ll do the two hour Cindy one - Muzikman can you send me a WAV file of that one? Is that possible? I know because its a video - but a WAV more make is SO much easier for me. Being that its a 2 hour one - it will take me at least a few days (I do have other work to do - lol). Muzikman - let me know how you can get this to me - you can PM me so we can work it out.

Dunno if you have this info, but I am a professional transcriptionist and editor (basically I am mainly QA now--which means I edit other transcriptionists' work or fill in blanks if they do not know what was said).

A great free program for transcribing is Express Scribe. You can do a google search and find it immediately. The 'problem' with transcribing is most "lay people" do not know the value of a foot pedal, or have one. The thing is that when you have a foot pedal, it auto backspaces a millisecond (or more--however you set it up), so that you're not constantly backing up and going forward and it's easier to have a seamless listening while transcribing.

Anyway--just wanted to throw that out for anyone who is trying to transcribe anything. :) Just like with any activity, there's usually a professional industry and therefore easier ways of performing it that aren't always common knowledge. Obviously if you don't have a foot pedal, it doesn't help to know about using one, but the Express Scribe software is so much better than Media Player or iTunes, or any other usual sound software because it allows much more manipulation of speed, time marks, flag requirements, etc. ES is also free, so at least you can have it whether you have a foot pedal or not.

lisha

:)Please let me know if/what you guys want me to do and I will! Just attach a link here or send me a link and I will do whatever is required!

Dunno if you have this info, but I am a professional transcriptionist and editor (basically I am mainly QA now--which means I edit other transcriptionists' work or fill in blanks if they do not know what was said).

A great free program for transcribing is Express Scribe. You can do a google search and find it immediately. The 'problem' with transcribing is most "lay people" do not know the value of a foot pedal, or have one. The thing is that when you have a foot pedal, it auto backspaces a millisecond (or more--however you set it up), so that you're not constantly backing up and going forward and it's easier to have a seamless listening while transcribing.

Anyway--just wanted to throw that out for anyone who is trying to transcribe anything. :) Just like with any activity, there's usually a professional industry and therefore easier ways of performing it that aren't always common knowledge. Obviously if you don't have a foot pedal, it doesn't help to know about using one, but the Express Scribe software is so much better than Media Player or iTunes, or any other usual sound software because it allows much more manipulation of speed, time marks, flag requirements, etc. ES is also free, so at least you can have it whether you have a foot pedal or not.

lisha

Edited to say... Transcription is near and dear to me, and even though I know that these plans are being made for just personal purposes, I still get into lecture mode on any mention of transcription so that I am hopefully helping my industry move forward in terms of respect and education about its possibilities. If anyone has any questions at all as to hints, tricks, and other software links, just let me know.

Off topic sort of, can you tell me where I can even hear ALL of cindy's interview? I only heard the partial one where she had to leave that ends with Yuri holding her hands. TIA:)

Off topic sort of, can you tell me where I can even hear ALL of cindy's interview? I only heard the partial one where she had to leave that ends with Yuri holding her hands. TIA:)

Google MURT...He has it on his site! Or read back here and in the JUry room...:)

:)

Anybody else game?

TIA,
BeanE

i'd be happy to read and listen

Sounds great, Swag. I can do it with or without the ummms lol. They're only meaningful to me personally if the person seems to be trying to avoid something, or is worried, or whatever.

Looks like all we have for full interviews are the ones that you, me, and Panther have grabbed, so I'm up for proofing/correcting some of the ones from LE. I noticed some mistakes that bug me.

Thank you!

Thank you so much, Muzikman. The file I got for Cindy Aug 4 from your link is great for me! Nice and clear.

Edited to say... Transcription is near and dear to me, and even though I know that these plans are being made for just personal purposes, I still get into lecture mode on any mention of transcription so that I am hopefully helping my industry move forward in terms of respect and education about its possibilities. If anyone has any questions at all as to hints, tricks, and other software links, just let me know.

Thank you so much, AlishaGail! I'll probably be bugging you because I'm definitely not a professional lol.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back