2010.06.04 ~ Why won't Misty take a plea deal?

because he knows there is no way, she'll get one?

I think because she would get a worse sentence if she told the truth?? Maybe they don't need to bargain with her?

Maybe she just plain doesn't know anything. If she was set up by the Cummings clan, she may be totally in the dark.

IMO it's because she does not need one.

I have hopes that Misty has spoken and we just don't know about it yet.

It only takes one juror to believe she was set up. One juror to say the state has not proven it's charges beyond a reasonable doubt. Her lawyer wants to be able to show how young she is and put that doubt in the minds of a jury. He knows she is going to not get any great deal. His only chance is to claim fowl and have one juror decide there may be something to his claim.

According to this statement (article from Kimster's link above) that doesn't seem to be the case;

Misty Croslin, a central figure in the case of missing HaLeigh Cummings, was told Thursday in Putnam County court that she has until mid-August to make a deal with prosecutors in seven drug-trafficking cases that could send her to prison for decades.

I think Att. Field's feels confident that there are a number of factors that a jury may be likely to take into consideration and find sympathetic in Misty's case. i.e. her age, lack of priors, her under-age involvement with co-defendent Ronald, her background/family history, etc. Apparently he thinks it's worth rolling the dice and I agree. JMHO ~

ETA: A juror's decision cannot be based on whether or not they feel that Misty is involved in HaLeigh's deisappearance.

It only takes one juror to believe she was set up. One juror to say the state has not proven it's charges beyond a reasonable doubt. Her lawyer wants to be able to show how young she is and put that doubt in the minds of a jury. He knows she is going to not get any great deal. His only chance is to claim fowl and have one juror decide there may be something to his claim.

Yes, it only will take one juror to beleive Ronald was abusive to girlfriends prior to Misty ( I am NOT saying he was however, it has been in the media). They may look at Misty as a victim, as being forced into playing a game she didn't want to play..

Because LE thinks she is responsible and won't give the kind of deal that Misty wants. Or because they are convinced she will lie when she gives the DA information as her part of the deal. Or because there is nothing she can trade for a reduced sentence. There is no plea deal unless the criminal has something to trade. They no doubt want her to tell them about Haleigh.

Yes, it only will take one juror to beleive Ronald was abusive to girlfriends prior to Misty ( I am NOT saying he was however, it has been in the media). They may look at Misty as a victim, as being forced into playing a game she didn't want to play..

Yep, I agree, victim card-- and that tat on her back is actually a brand. (huge eyeroll) She might have a good argument since his family practically enslaved her. This is the same card she'll play in Haleigh's case too, when there is one. mo

Does anyone have the drug bust video available? I take forever finding things I want to talk about.

Anyway, I do remember watching it, and IMO I did look like Misty was a bit too happy/excited/nervous in the front seat of that vehicle, almost like it was her first time....you can DEFF tell she was not seasoned.....I don't know the appropriate word for what I am trying to say...

So, if someone can post it, maybe we can talk about her actions/behaviour while she is "dealing". Maybe that would take the thread off topic??

BBM.. There might be a problem with viewing her as a victim considering..I recall hearing her call out... Babee.. Babee..Hey Ronald.. He doesn't want to do it here..JMO

Does anyone have the drug bust video available? I take forever finding things I want to talk about.

Anyway, I do remember watching it, and IMO I did look like Misty was a bit too happy/excited/nervous in the front seat of that vehicle, almost like it was her first time....you can DEFF tell she was not seasoned.....I don't know the appropriate word for what I am trying to say...

So, if someone can post it, maybe we can talk about her actions/behaviour while she is "dealing". Maybe that would take the thread off topic??

Start a new thread when it is found and you can call it "Misty's actions/behaviors while dealing" or something like that. :)

According to this statement (article from Kimster's link above) that doesn't seem to be the case;

Misty Croslin, a central figure in the case of missing HaLeigh Cummings, was told Thursday in Putnam County court that she has until mid-August to make a deal with prosecutors in seven drug-trafficking cases that could send her to prison for decades.

I think Att. Field's feels confident that there are a number of factors that a jury may be likely to take into consideration and find sympathetic in Misty's case. i.e. her age, lack of priors, her under-age involvement with co-defendent Ronald, her background/family history, etc. Apparently he thinks it's worth rolling the dice and I agree. JMHO ~

ETA: A juror's decision cannot be based on whether or not they feel that Misty is involved in HaLeigh's deisappearance.

Above BBM.. I agree with you that yes, what you stated above is the law and is the way a juror is SUPPOSED to be impartial and NOT take what they have ALREADY heard or KNOW to be true about the defendant on trial and let it persuade their decision of guilt, not guilty, etc. But I think just as RF and many other defense attorneys fear (therefore very regularly asking for the change of venue) that when it comes down to the time for each juror to cast their vote of guilty or not, tho that juror can SAY it's because of the THAT PARTICULAR TRIAL that they are voting guilty, but in their heads they really had her convicted before the trial ever began because of the Haleigh case... So, yes it is supposed to work the way you stated but as we are all aware of alot of times it doesn't. The jury pool is infact contaminated due to the saturation of the Haleigh case in the media.
IMHO.

personally, I don't think Misty killed Haleigh, but LE sure acts like they do, & I'm to the point with LE, that I think even if it's proved that Misty is innocent, it won't really matter to them. I think that they want her, one way or another, & there's no way, they'll give her a decent deal. It's my opinion, that her lawyer has a good chance of convincing a jury of entrapment, & bringing in extenuating circumstances. There's a lot to work with there.

BBM.. There might be a problem with viewing her as a victim considering..I recall hearing her call out... Babee.. Babee..Hey Ronald.. He doesn't want to do it here..JMO

The problem I see with a defense of either entrapment or Misty was coerced into doing something by RC, is the number of charges. If Misty was on video in one or two deals, maybe...but eight times will be difficult to defend. I have wondered, though, why Fields has not asked for a deal to have Misty testify against Ron on the trafficking charges. Seems RC is willing and wanting to testify against her, though I really do not see what he could offer the SA in that regard. IMO, Misty might have more to offer the SA re Ron's trafficking charges and, with that, she might get her charges reduced, and possibly some dismissed. Once that is accomplished, the mandatory minimum goes way down or goes away, depending on the reduced charge(s).

All JMO.

...there's still time.

The problem I see with a defense of either entrapment or Misty was coerced into doing something by RC, is the number of charges. If Misty was on video in one or two deals, maybe...but eight times will be difficult to defend. I have wondered, though, why Fields has not asked for a deal to have Misty testify against Ron on the trafficking charges. Seems RC is willing and wanting to testify against her, though I really do not see what he could offer the SA in that regard. IMO, Misty might have more to offer the SA re Ron's trafficking charges and, with that, she might get her charges reduced, and possibly some dismissed. Once that is accomplished, the mandatory minimum goes way down or goes away, depending on the reduced charge(s).

All JMO.
well, the logical reason would be because Ron has something on Misty in the Haleigh case, but to believe that, we'd have to believe that he has been covering for Misty, & I'm not sure I can go there.

I think that they will bring up Crystal saying she was abused and Amber being abused and she will claim that she was forced into it. The fact of her age, the fact that she does not have a history and the fact that Ron does I beleive that they feel its worth the chance.... Honestly I think she will get off. Ron has a rap sheet, he is older and in one of the later tapes when the OC says I need the money in a few weeks Ron says" I will have the money, I can eat these pills and pay it off in that time." sounds like Ron is stating he is the "ring leader"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back