6-21-12 Court Appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think for some, vehemence will subside, but only for a little while.

People who join WS typically start following different cases on here. Then they come back to the ones they joined WS for in the first place. There are many to read about on here. Since you area a newbie (and for all the newbies who joined to follow this case), you should check out the different cases and forums that are offered on WS.

so now what? we just sit back & wait for 3/13?
Pretty much. I wonder how many will actually still be following this case in 9 months from now with the same vehemence we are showing now? I'm betting few.

I know I will be and I believe most here will be as well. Because of the nature of the way this murder was committed and basically broadcast to the world I doubt very much that people will turn away when LM finally get his day in court.

I know I will be and I believe most here will be as well. Because of the nature of the way this murder was committed and basically broadcast to the world I doubt very much that people will turn away when LM finally get his day in court.

no, people will turn in for sure. I'm just saying that it probably won't be as emotionally chraged as it is right now. Time has a way of easing things. The reaosn i have been following so closely is because this crime happened in my own back yard, so to speak. Had it been elsewhere, I may bnot have been following quite so attentively.

I would also like to know what this means... he is sane? so no need for psych evaluation?

An MD licensed to practice here (Canada) would be required to make the assessment. The assessment and diagnosis of a German DR would have no bearing here legally. I'm inclined to believe he may not have been given the option of having or not having the psych assessment done in Germany. It was protocol for them and it was done. I'm inclined to believe it was an assessment of his suicide risk and any other risk he might pose to himself and others while in captivity and not a thorough forensic evaluation of his psyche.
That type of assessment would take the 31 days his lawyer originally asked for. If he were completely mentally healthy, such an assessment could have worked in his defense favor IMO.

It sounds to me like he's playing lawyer for himself although I have no idea why.

I would also like to know what this means... he is sane? so no need for psych evaluation?

If he was insane or if the defence were going to play that card I believe they would have stated not only "not guilty" but "not guilty by reason of insanity". LM just stated "not guilty". Now we do know what route the Defence is going to base their court tactics on, they are going to try and persuade the jury that he is not "crimininally responsible" for his actions because of the meds, lack of taking or taking. Don't know which they are goint to try. And it will be up the Prosecutors to debunk, even though he may have been diagnozed with whatever (we still don't know exactly what, psychosis? anti-social? depression, bi-polar, schizophrenia, etc. etc. there is a myriad of various medical conditions that would warrant their use). The circus is just beginning, going to be a high-wire act all the way.

Ill be around :)

As you have been for so long. You've provided us all with so much information and I personally very much appreciate all the effort you've put into everything. I also think if law enforcement had listened to all you (and your group) had gathered, Magnotta may have gotten the help he needed and we might not be talking about a person being murdered right now.

You know I have to ask you this, right? What if it is proven, beyond a doubt, that his actions were due to schizophrenia, or a drug interaction? Yes, this is going to cost us (the taxpayers) money, but isn't this the whole basis of a fair and just criminal system that a defendant be given all the tools at his disposal to prove he is not guilty, even if it is an insanity defense? I think we need to step back from our overwrought emotions and let this play out.

See, the problem I have with all of this is that being held "not criminally responsible" gives ZERO justice to the victim, and the loved ones of the victim. All it says is boo hoo, feel sorry for the perpetrator, the buck stops with whatever problem they have that is to blame for their actions.

That is a LEGAL SYSTEM, it has sweet FA to do with any form of real justice, and adding shady defense lawyers into the equation who are looking for a "win" on their personal scorecard especially when they know full well they are trying to stack the deck... none of that offers any peace or justice to those left behind.

Is LM sick? Of course he is! Do healthy, stable people commit such indecent, horrific crimes? Captain Obvious! Does that mean he had no idea about the pain, the revulsion and the consequences of his actions? Don't make me laugh. This is the person who planned to do this shocking and unimaginable crime to guarentee himself in the ranks of other depraved murderers. 2 weeks before the crime, he tried to get his own sick PR machine going, asking about the yet unmade video by his chosen title online. He stated after torturing and killing the animals that "he'd be back" and this time, the victim would be human!

Does that sound like a mentally healthy person? No it doesn't. Does it sound like he knew what he was doing, what he was planning to do, what he actually did?

I have precious little sympathy for the criminally "insane". Like it or not, it was because of their actions, the crime was commited. They need to pay. Medication, therapy, crayons and gluesticks to express their inner child, singing kumbaya and making macaroni crafts doesn't change squat for the victim. Jail offers the only form of solace and closure as PUNISHMENT for crime.

No evidence of any kind was produced in court today, so we are not privy to whatever is in the Berlin evaluation. The fact that the defense has not requested a separate one smacks to me that the one that was done already is somewhat supportive of whatever defence tack they might be taking. JMO

If they're going for an insanity defense it won't help at all IMO. He wasn't transferred to a hospital in Berlin following their evaluation. By not sharing whatever it was in court with the judge, he can't determine if LM has a mental defect or not and in Canada its the judge who gets to decide, not any one MD, especially not one who isn't licensed in Canada.

If they're going for an insanity defense it won't help at all IMO. He wasn't transferred to a hospital in Berlin following their evaluation. By not sharing whatever it was in court with the judge, he can't determine if LM has a mental defect or not and in Canada its the judge who gets to decide, not any one MD, especially not one who isn't licensed in Canada.

I wouldn't think it would help an insanity defense, either. Flamboozled me! :waitasec:

See, the problem I have with all of this is that being held "not criminally responsible" gives ZERO justice to the victim, and the loved ones of the victim. All it says is boo hoo, feel sorry for the perpetrator, the buck stops with whatever problem they have that is to blame for their actions.

That is a LEGAL SYSTEM, it has sweet FA to do with any form of real justice, and adding shady defense lawyers into the equation who are looking for a "win" on their personal scorecard especially when they know full well they are trying to stack the deck... none of that offers any peace or justice to those left behind.

Is LM sick? Of course he is! Do healthy, stable people commit such indecent, horrific crimes? Captain Obvious! Does that mean he had no idea about the pain, the revulsion and the consequences of his actions? Don't make me laugh. This is the person who planned to do this shocking and unimaginable crime to guarentee himself in the ranks of other depraved murderers. 2 weeks before the crime, he tried to get his own sick PR machine going, asking about the yet unmade video by his chosen title online. He stated after torturing and killing the animals that "he'd be back" and this time, the victim would be human!

Does that sound like a mentally healthy person? No it doesn't. Does it sound like he knew what he was doing, what he was planning to do, what he actually did?

I have precious little sympathy for the criminally "insane". Like it or not, it was because of their actions, the crime was commited. They need to pay. Medication, therapy, crayons and gluesticks to express their inner child, singing kumbaya and making macaroni crafts doesn't change squat for the victim. Jail offers the only form of solace and closure as PUNISHMENT for crime.

I hear your anger, and acknowledge it. That said, there is no such thing as 'closure' for the grieving family. That is a catch phrase offered by the very same system you are railing about here. We can kill him, chop him in little pieces and feed him to the sharks and it STILL won't offer the family closure. What it will do, is satisfy vengeance; empty solace in those long hours, days, months and years without your loved one.

It is sickening to see all these rights being thrown at this .

I'll also be around here for the court case. I'm interested because he's from my beloved Montreal and my hometown of Toronto. And, I'm a natural-born sleuth. I need to find out what will happen to him.

:jail:

I'll be keeping up. I'm sure I'll still be Googling all the time, too. I want to know who Eric Newman is. My brain craves answers to what kind of person can do what he's done. Obviously all of ours do... and I might be risking being bashed when I say this but I think I'm going to write to him. Not about what he's done or why he's done it, but to know who he is.

I wouldn't think it would help an insanity defense, either. Flamboozled me! :waitasec:

I'm not a lawyer but it would seem to me if I thought my client was insane, the first thing I'd do would be to have him 'formed' so that I might act in his best interests without requiring his permission to do so.
Earlier today before court, the media tells us his lawyer was going to request an extended psych evaluation as well he should have. Then we're told that no psych evaluation was requested by the defense but some assessment done in Germany was handed over to the judge who also didn't order a psych evaluation after receiving it. Hmmmmm.

I'm thinking that if LM was unable to appreciate his actions, the situation etc then these 2 people had a moral, ethical and even legal obligation to provide for the mentally ill person, his mandatory psych evaluation. He is after all an IUPG sick person.

I can only assume that he is fit to take full responsibility for his actions once convicted. Good!

Now we do know what route the Defence is going to base their court tactics on, they are going to try and persuade the jury that he is not "crimininally responsible" for his actions because of the meds, lack of taking or taking. Don't know which they are goint to try.

Thanks so much for making it clearer to me. Can i also ask how you know what the defence tactic is, or what i quoted you on above? :newhere:

Now we do know what route the Defence is going to base their court tactics on, they are going to try and persuade the jury that he is not "crimininally responsible" for his actions because of the meds, lack of taking or taking. Don't know which they are goint to try.

Surely it's the former, else they would not be asking the court to ensure that he is taking them now.

<modsnip>

Well... truth be told I knew weeks ago that he was prescribed that Rx... LRM himself put the name of it out there all over the net.

Just for kicks & grins Google his name in " " along with the name of the medication in " " for any date prior to today and see how many hits you get. ;)

IMO... that is public knowledge provided by the patient/defendant himself and there is no way to un-ring that bell.

An MD licensed to practice here (Canada) would be required to make the assessment. The assessment and diagnosis of a German DR would have no bearing here legally. I'm inclined to believe he may not have been given the option of having or not having the psych assessment done in Germany. It was protocol for them and it was done. I'm inclined to believe it was an assessment of his suicide risk and any other risk he might pose to himself and others while in captivity and not a thorough forensic evaluation of his psyche.
That type of assessment would take the 31 days his lawyer originally asked for. If he were completely mentally healthy, such an assessment could have worked in his defense favor IMO.

It sounds to me like he's playing lawyer for himself although I have no idea why.

MOO

I can't help but think LM would rather his audience believed he was totally in control of his actions, for his notoriety/infamy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member