All things Joe Paterno

I don't agree. They weren't involved AFAIK; they themselves did nothing shameful.

Possibly. And in a court of law I certainly couldn't testify that they absolutely, certainly did.

What I could testify to is that as a wife I am privy to my husbands concerns that happen at work. He might not come right out and say the problem but his behavior would indicate to me something is on his mind. After prodding I would know exactly what is on his mind.

A marriage that has lasted as long as Sue and Joe's certainly has some sort of effective communication flow - that's why I find it hard to believe that she didn't know something of this issue.

Then again, taking all that for what it's worth - they certainly talked after the big "reveal"....so disregarding all the above - the thought that she and her offspring are still trying to keep the St. Paterno name alive sickens me. Remember, their main concern was to keep Paterno's legacy as the all time winningest coach in college football hence the letter to the NCAA.

I'll say this for the third and last time - IMO they need to go away and never show their faces again. For what they are doing now and what they did not possibly do before - they need to hang their heads in shame.

If I am jumping to conclusions on the Paterno family - I'd rather err on the side of the children who were physically, emotionally and mentally abused rather than the Paternos - any day of the week.

More Paterno bio excerpts reveal rift between coach, Sandusky

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/17/more-paterno-bio-excerpts-reveal-rift-between-coach-sandusky/

The general media takeaway from this email chain [discussing how Penn State officials should handle McQueary's testimony] was that Paterno had convinced [athletic director Tim] Curley to back off reporting Sandusky and to handle this in-house. Others familiar with the emails believed instead that Paterno had demanded they confront Sandusky.

I don't understand the above quote. How is confronting Sandusky any different from handling it in-house if DPW is not contacted in either scenario?

More from the Posnanski bio:
Joe Paterno had to be prodded by his family to read the grand jury report regarding Jerry Sandusky and did not understand some of its graphic terminology, according to a new book.
---
In the book, Posnanski describes a scene at Paterno's home, two days after Sandusky had been charged last November.

Paterno's family and a close adviser were trying to explain to the Penn State coach that there was a growing sentiment that Paterno must have known for years about the accusations against Sandusky.

The book quotes Paterno as shouting, "I'm not omniscient!"

The book also indicates Paterno didn't comprehend all the terms in the report, asking his son what sodomy meant.
I think Posnanski was suckered.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...usky-report-terms-incomprehensible-to-paterno

More Paterno bio excerpts reveal rift between coach, Sandusky

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/17/more-paterno-bio-excerpts-reveal-rift-between-coach-sandusky/

The general media takeaway from this email chain [discussing how Penn State officials should handle McQueary's testimony] was that Paterno had convinced [athletic director Tim] Curley to back off reporting Sandusky and to handle this in-house. Others familiar with the emails believed instead that Paterno had demanded they confront Sandusky.

I don't understand the above quote. How is confronting Sandusky any different from handling it in-house if DPW is not contacted in either scenario?

[I included the quote in boldface]

I do understand that Paterno might have wanted Sandusky to be confronted personally, but why not the follow through to DPW?

•Paterno did not read the grand jury report until two days after it was released, and it was this heated exchange between Paterno and family adviser Guido D’Elia that led to Paterno reading.

“You realize that the people out there think you knew about this? They think you had to know because you know about everything.”

“That’s their opinion!” Paterno shouted. “I’m not omniscient!”

“They think you are!” D’Elia roared back.

According to D’Elia’s recollection of watching Paterno read the presentment, the former coach asked Scott, “What is sodomy, anyway?”

http://www.statecollege.com/news/lo...n-complete-posnanski-excerpt-from-gq-1113675/

•Paterno did not read the grand jury report until two days after it was released, and it was this heated exchange between Paterno and family adviser Guido D’Elia that led to Paterno reading.

“You realize that the people out there think you knew about this? They think you had to know because you know about everything.”

“That’s their opinion!” Paterno shouted. “I’m not omniscient!”

“They think you are!” D’Elia roared back.

According to D’Elia’s recollection of watching Paterno read the presentment, the former coach asked Scott, “What is sodomy, anyway?”

http://www.statecollege.com/news/lo...n-complete-posnanski-excerpt-from-gq-1113675/

Slightly off-topic, but the one thing that was clarified from reading this was the role of Guido D'Elia. Many Penn Staters were stunned when he was let go from his position as Director of Football Communication and Branding - he was credited by many with greatly improving the in-stadium atmosphere with innovations like the "White-Out", where all fans were encouraged to wear white, and the increased use of music and video on the scoreboard; although in fairness, not everyone liked the changes he brought.

None of us realized at the time how personally close he was with Paterno, so reading these articles makes his departure much more understandable.

10 fascinating sports facts revealed in Joe Paterno biography

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/08/flounders_10_fascinating_sport.html#incart_river_default

10. Following PSU’s controversial 27-25 last-second loss at Michigan in 2005, the Lions’ only blemish on an 11-1 season, Paterno was furious that officials put a few seconds back on the clock, possibly allowing Wolverines QB Chad Henne enough time to throw the game-winning TD pass on the final play. According to Posnanski, Paterno told friends he was considering pulling the Lions out of the Big Ten as a result.

Wow

10 fascinating sports facts revealed in Joe Paterno biography

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/in...0_fascinating_sport.html#incart_river_default

Wow

I remember watching that game, and it was a very strange set of circumstances indeed.

Not defending Paterno's thinking here, but there was a lot of history involved. The Nittany Lions were made to feel like the unwanted stepchild of the conference:

Twenty years ago, the leaders of Penn State University never got to enjoy this honeymoon phase. During the 1989-1990 academic year, Penn State shocked its peers and even its own fan base by landing and accepting an invite into the conference.
The offer came after much flirtation and was consummated with a slew of backdoor meetings and dealings between Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany and his conference's presidents.
And the move wasn't a popular one with everyone. Three Big Ten presidents voted "no" to the Nittany Lions. Athletic directors and coaches were furious that they'd been kept out of the loop.
The December 1989 announcement kicked off a three-year-long process to merge an East Coast school, which few Big Ten aficionados appreciated, into a league in which it didn't seem to belong. Resentment was a hurdle Penn State faced from day one.
http://www.dailynebraskan.com/news/...uch-more-tumultuous-than-nebraska-s-1.2551167

I remember watching that game, and it was a very strange set of circumstances indeed.

Not defending Paterno's thinking here, but there was a lot of history involved. The Nittany Lions were made to feel like the unwanted stepchild of the conference:

Twenty years ago, the leaders of Penn State University never got to enjoy this honeymoon phase. During the 1989-1990 academic year, Penn State shocked its peers and even its own fan base by landing and accepting an invite into the conference.
The offer came after much flirtation and was consummated with a slew of backdoor meetings and dealings between Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany and his conference's presidents.
And the move wasn't a popular one with everyone. Three Big Ten presidents voted "no" to the Nittany Lions. Athletic directors and coaches were furious that they'd been kept out of the loop.
The December 1989 announcement kicked off a three-year-long process to merge an East Coast school, which few Big Ten aficionados appreciated, into a league in which it didn't seem to belong. Resentment was a hurdle Penn State faced from day one.
http://www.dailynebraskan.com/news/...uch-more-tumultuous-than-nebraska-s-1.2551167

I was amazed that he had the audacity to think he could pull Penn State out of the Big Ten. Pulling the football team out would have meant every sports team at Penn State, male and female, would have to withdraw from the conference. Maybe he had that much power, but I doubt it. He also thought he could tell the BOT, publicly, when he was going to retire. Yet his supporters want us to believe that when it came to Jerry Sandusky, he felt powerless to do anything. While I do believe he was uncertain about what to do, I don't believe for a second he was powerless.

JMO

Paterno Book: The Private Notes of the Late Penn State Coach

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/paterno-book-the-private-notes-of-the-late-penn-state-coach-1116680/

The books mentions a private memo Paterno wrote in 1993. The Paterno family would sometimes call it the “Why I Hate Jerry Sandusky Memo.”

In it Paterno complained that Sandusky had stopped recruiting, seemed constantly distracted, had lost his energy for coaching, and was more interested in his charity, The Second Mile.

“He would gripe about Jerry all the time,” one family member said.

The picture of Paterno that is emerging, for me, is a man with a one track mind -- football, football, football. To the extent that Sandusky's possible sexual inclinations for children registered with Paterno, it did so only as something that distracted Sandusky from his responsibilites as a coach.

Paterno Book: The Private Notes of the Late Penn State Coach

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/paterno-book-the-private-notes-of-the-late-penn-state-coach-1116680/

The picture of Paterno that is emerging, for me, is a man with a one track mind -- football, football, football. To the extent that Sandusky's possible sexual inclinations for children registered with Paterno, it did so only as something that distracted Sandusky from his responsibilites as a coach.

I am not surprised by the conflict between Joe Paterno and Jerry Sandusky. You have two highly narcissistic control freaks side by side. It causes conflict among the two that can spread.

Nonetheless I still think Paterno is a .

I was reading an article from July on ESPN.com, and I was floored by what I found. These are the sorts of errors that make me wonder how closely many people read the Freeh report. It seems like emotion overtook comprehension for this reporter:

But after Freeh's report revealed Paterno and others failed to notify the police about Sandusky's assaults of young boys in three separate incidents from 1998 to 2001, I think the NCAA should punish Penn State.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ll-penn-state-nittany-lions-earned-wrath-ncaa

OK, if I am counting right, the 3 incidents he refers to are:
1. 1998 - The police, DPW and the DA were already investigating before "Paterno and others" even heard about the situation.
2. 2000 - Janitors working at night in the Lasch building witnessed Sandusky sexually assaulting a young boy. "Paterno and others" were never to our knowledge even aware of this matter, as the janitors were afraid to report anything.
3. 2001 - Right, we all know that "Paterno and others" big-time dropped the ball on this one.

There are many people that weren't able to read the entire Freeh report, and trust media outlets to summarize for them. If I had read that, not knowing the whole story, I would have had my torch and pitchfork at the ready, just like the author. I don't mind anyone having an opinion, even if it is 180 degrees from mine, but so many people made their minds up with misinformation like this ESPN article.

/rant off

well one thing is certain, staters are careful and meticulous readers of the FR. heres ya'lls huge problem about the report: 1. it really doesnt matter how much of it is misunderstood by the public at large. and that includes reporters of every kind, not to mention sports reporters, pseudo or otherwise. 2. ya'll may make whatever hay you want out of smoke and mirrow insinuations and made up wishings about its conclusions, none of that matters. and that is so because Freeh and his team had NO AGENDA, but simply searched for the truth. which pretty much speaks for itself in this matter. Freeh and his team didnt care one whit who was to blame, or how anyone might view whatever results they uncovered. they were tasked with discovering the truth, and, despite your reluctance to see it, it wasn't very difficult to find, once a competent investigative team got its scent.

so keep on attacking it, and throwing aspersions and darts at Freeh, whatever makes youi feel better. tomorrow might be another day, but joepa's legacy and penn states fradulantly gotten good name are forever gone. gone with the wind. ya'll do remind me of unreconstructed southerners. they had a hell of a time dealing with their sad truths too.

well one thing is certain, staters are careful and meticulous readers of the FR. heres ya'lls huge problem about the report: 1. it really doesnt matter how much of it is misunderstood by the public at large. and that includes reporters of every kind, not to mention sports reporters, pseudo or otherwise. 2. ya'll may make whatever hay you want out of smoke and mirrow insinuations and made up wishings about its conclusions, none of that matters. and that is so because Freeh and his team had NO AGENDA, but simply searched for the truth. which pretty much speaks for itself in this matter. Freeh and his team didnt care one whit who was to blame, or how anyone might view whatever results they uncovered. they were tasked with discovering the truth, and, despite your reluctance to see it, it wasn't very difficult to find, once a competent investigative team got its scent.

The only problem that I have with the Freeh Report is that he was overreaching in some of his conclusions about 1998. I do not feel that he produced sufficient evidence to support some of his, **what they should have done in 1998** conclusions. As to showing what happened in 1998 and 2001, and some of ancillary issues, this was exceptionally well documented.

so keep on attacking it, and throwing aspersions and darts at Freeh, whatever makes youi feel better. tomorrow might be another day, but joepa's legacy and penn states fradulantly gotten good name are forever gone. gone with the wind. ya'll do remind me of unreconstructed southerners. they had a hell of a time dealing with their sad truths too.

The analogy I'd use is Germany, 1946.

Where in what I wrote did you see me attacking Freeh or the report?

I commented on the ESPN reporter who completely misread the report and posted misinformation. My concern is that people who haven't read the report will read that article and take as fact that Paterno and others had three opportunities to report Sandusky.

I pointed out the error the reporter made, and I don't think comparing me to an unreconstructed Southerner, or saying that I am reluctant to see something, is warranted off of the post I made.

Do you also think Paterno, Curley et al. had three opportunites to report Sandusky up to and including the 2001 incident, or do you agree with what I wrote, that the article is misleading?

Where in what I wrote did you see me attacking Freeh or the report?

I commented on the ESPN reporter who completely misread the report and posted misinformation. My concern is that people who haven't read the report will read that article and take as fact that Paterno and others had three opportunities to report Sandusky.

I pointed out the error the reporter made, and I don't think comparing me to an unreconstructed Southerner, or saying that I am reluctant to see something, is warranted off of the post I made.

Do you also think Paterno, Curley et al. had three opportunites to report Sandusky up to and including the 2001 incident, or do you agree with what I wrote, that the article is misleading?

I don't think that comment was directed against you, Rlaub. Mine was not, just to be clear. :)

I do think that there are a lot Penn Staters (fans and/or alumni). I posted on an alumni board that basically no individual way hurt by the vacating of the games (except arguably a dead Paterno). One posted said that he couldn't understand the question about how was being punished since fans would have to root for another team. :rolleyes: :)

Logic, and a Penn State degree, do not necessarily go hand in hand. ;)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back