Sidebar Discussion #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks LG will do. Still learning the "ropes" here LOL :seeya:

AZLawyer is bound to stop by - she is super about answering questions - nothing seems too "unimportant" for her to comment on. I know newbies aren't always comfortable just walking in and asking but why not?

You'll get some good guesses from the rest of us - but we want to know the actual answer too....

AZLawyer is bound to stop by - she is super about answering questions - nothing seems too "unimportant" for her to comment on. I know newbies aren't always comfortable just walking in and asking but why not?

You'll get some good guesses from the rest of us - but we want to know the actual answer too....

That's awesome and so are you to help me out. Great place and great posters :Banane41:

That is probably accurate. However, it seems sort of hinky to me that the verdict can just be cast aside in any case just because the judge sees things differently.

IDK. I used to respect our justice system but I don't anymore. Not just because of Caylee. I have been suspcious of the system for some time now; Caylee's injustice just helped cement my suspicion for once and for all.

I really do respect the system and I wouldn't want to be tried in any other country (other than Canada) especially if I was falsely accused, which does happen. A system that is set up to protect the innocent will have its travesties, the majority of the time it works just like it should. It sucks but it's like collateral damage. In order to not unjustly convict the innocent, some of the guilty will walk free.

I do think, juries are a problem at this point in our society though. People are way too infected by reality TV and CSI shows to truly understand what a REAL trial entails. There should be jury "class" that is mandatory for every citizen in my opinion. The law is so complicated and complex sounding, a class would put "reasonable doubt" instruction, and civic duty into perspective, in laymen's terms. . And may avert travesties like this.

I too believe there is a huge "CSI" effect. Then we have the matter of High Profile Lawyers who want the "win" at any cost. (Lawyers who want to be High Profile too :floorlaugh:) So many influences today. I cant help but wonder if the Florida Sunshine Law was a negative influence?? All tho i must say I was delighted to read every piece of discovery :woohoo:

Atthelake....I cant deal. That is all I have to say and I will shut my mouth.

THE MOST RELAXING MUSIC IMAGINABLE - YouTube

Happy+Hour+Drinks.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_srMZ9CMGQ...AAB_g/QHlAMGJuDNI/s1600/Happy+Hour+Drinks.jpg

camaraderie.png

http://www.outwittingwormwood.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/camaraderie.png

Tapas-in-Madrid.jpg

http://blog.foodscrooge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Tapas-in-Madrid.jpg

Sit back and enjoy the music, the drinks, the food, the interesting discussion, and the camaraderie...

I'm late to the evening music and lower key than the previous thread - Harmony, you are FABULOUS! Thanks!

Atthelake....I cant deal. That is all I have to say and I will shut my mouth.

Spice - I'm not sure if I have upset you - so my post has been removed. Please note that my intention was not to point at anyone here - and the comment was directed at stuff from yesterday as to kidding around re who was taking care of FCA and only that. :truce:

Spice - I'm not sure if I have upset you - so my post has been removed. Please note that my intention was not to point at anyone here - and the comment was directed at stuff from yesterday as to kidding around re who was taking care of FCA and only that. :truce:

No No NO! I'm so sorry for the confusion. I was being totally sarcastic and incredulous regarding your the opinion of the people in your post. Not you! We are good my friend.

I have to find some humor in all this to keep sane :crazy: It just crossed my mind. FCA only has to answer 2 questions as her Appeal is protecting her right now. The Appeal is regarding "Lying" So what does she do she "Lies" Oh gawd :laughcry:

Forgive me, I posted this video once before shortly after that crock of a verdict, but I just think it is startling how many similarities there were between the Casey Anthony and Scott Peterson cases. I just wanted to commend the Scott Peterson jury for using their brains and actually taking the time to connect the dots in this circumstantial case.

If you watch this video at 7:20 you will hear 3 of those jurors explain how they reached their decision through LOGIC AND REASONING. They actually took the time to look at the larger picture, add 1 and 1 to get 2 and determined that Scott Peterson indeed killed Laci and Connor Peterson beyond any, say it with me now, reasonable doubt. For that I thank them!
:clap:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16yDfsKS5g4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16yDfsKS5g4[/ame]

I have to find some humor in all this to keep sane :crazy: It just crossed my mind. FCA only has to answer 2 questions as her Appeal is protecting her right now. The Appeal is regarding "Lying" So what does she do she "Lies" Oh gawd :laughcry:

The Scorpion and the Frog - Aesop

:floorlaugh:

I know..."The irony is rich." :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::lol::lol:

Agree. The Peterson Jurors did their job. Kudos to them. And on much less evidence in my opinion.

Hey, Bravo. Welcome to WS. :) I answered your question over on the legal thread.

:floorlaugh:

I know..."The irony is rich." :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::lol::lol:

LOL bet Strickland has had some chuckles and head shakes. I hope he realizes just how much that phrase gets used. I luved the other one. (Not verbatim) I trust Miss Anthony and the truth are strangers :floorlaugh: If he only knew then...... :floorlaugh:

Forgive me, I posted this video once before shortly after that crock of a verdict, but I just think it is startling how many similarities there were between the Casey Anthony and Scott Peterson cases. I just wanted to commend the Scott Peterson jury for using their brains and actually taking the time to connect the dots in this circumstantial case.

If you watch this video at 7:20 you will hear 3 of those jurors explain how they reached their decision through LOGIC AND REASONING. They actually took the time to look at the larger picture, add 1 and 1 to get 2 and determined that Scott Peterson indeed killed Laci and Connor Peterson beyond any, say it with me now, reasonable doubt. For that I thank them!
:clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16yDfsKS5g4

Thinker Belle - you have me boo hooing right now. Thank you for the "Good Cry" I'm having. Pulling together, noted that they said "no one thing for conviction...all together...it was too much. Puzzle pieces were thrown out, but we put back in" Jeez, so much of those 9 minutes or so were just like FCA. Too bad P12.........so sad P12.

I really do respect the system and I wouldn't want to be tried in any other country (other than Canada) especially if I was falsely accused, which does happen. A system that is set up to protect the innocent will have its travesties, the majority of the time it works just like it should. It sucks but it's like collateral damage. In order to not unjustly convict the innocent, some of the guilty will walk free.

I do think, juries are a problem at this point in our society though. People are way too infected by reality TV and CSI shows to truly understand what a REAL trial entails. There should be jury "class" that is mandatory for every citizen in my opinion. The law is so complicated and complex sounding, a class would put "reasonable doubt" instruction, and civic duty into perspective, in laymen's terms. . And may avert travesties like this.

Yes, our system is better than some. The big problem I have with our system has to do with the jury trial process which is as you have pointed out.

ETA: OK...I have deleted my long diatribe to simply say that I believe that the US now needs a Constitutional amendment that allows the state to appeal a verdict. That would not jeopardize anyone's rights and would be more fair than the system we now have where even when a jury has not done its job their verdict must stand.

Times have changed. The "dumbing down of America" is more than just a phrase. It's a reality in a lot of ways, courtesty of TV shows like CSI and others. People are mentally lazy in that they expect machines and technology to provide answers that in reality require actual thinking and reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff