What Is the Defense Strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CM's attempt to paint his client as helpless because of her size just kind of hangs there in the air and you feel he's like a person who has something hanging from his mustache, you're not sure what it is but you are too embarrassed for him to tell him. jmo

I got tired of his lies. He said she had no experience with law enforcement, when her dad was a cop, and she dated cops. A 22 year old is NOT a child, he shouldn't be allowed to say that - when you couple that idiotic statement with what we know ICA did to an actual child it is even worse. Thankfully, the defense is subtle and allows people to pick up on these things themselves. It may not be as effective any other way. I also found it amusing that he refers to Jose's youth/inexperience - he's over 40 in a field where most people starting out are in their mid 20's.

I am sorry, I am not a KC defender I was just throwing out there what I think the Defense's strategy will be. I do understand that the state will have evidence to contradict many of these points and I am not saying they CAN win with this strategy, just that it is what I think they will use.

There is a lot of circumstantial evidence and some scientific as well. But CM is a story weaver, I fully expect him to paint the picture of a girl who was a young mother with a lot of pressures on her, from a very controlling family and that she learned to lie early on to appease her mother. I can see him saying she wanted to appear to be something she wasn't, EMPLOYED, WELL TO DO, MOTHER OF THE YEAR etc. and that her lies and her commitment to keep those lies under control while Caylee was missing were attributed to her keeping up that fake person she created.

He could say these things..I don't think it is a good idea, but it is the only thing I can see them going with.

LE did look for ZG, but they could say ZG may have made up that name and that Jeff and Lewis were names she gave to keep her parents at bay and that she was always trying to solve her own problems in secret.

We all know this is malarkey - but I can see this going down that path. Her fear of being exposed to her family and friends was greater than her fear of a woman she thought she knew holding Casey. That she never thought that Woman would KILL Caylee.

But again I am no KC defender just throwing it out there. So please don't beat me up
:)

MO

No worries Mendara I think we all know that and certainly I answered your post before I saw your second post so added an edit to say so.

I like the process of throwing out ideas that are not what we believe happened but may be possible scenarios because first it allows us to look at this case from all angles and second because it gives rein to free thought to sleuth out whatever other arguments the defense may be cooking up.

It also helps us not post page after page in unison thought as if we are just one body who must always agree.

I am sorry, I am not a KC defender I was just throwing out there what I think the Defense's strategy will be. I do understand that the state will have evidence to contradict many of these points and I am not saying they CAN win with this strategy, just that it is what I think they will use.

There is a lot of circumstantial evidence and some scientific as well. But CM is a story weaver, I fully expect him to paint the picture of a girl who was a young mother with a lot of pressures on her, from a very controlling family and that she learned to lie early on to appease her mother. I can see him saying she wanted to appear to be something she wasn't, EMPLOYED, WELL TO DO, MOTHER OF THE YEAR etc. and that her lies and her commitment to keep those lies under control while Caylee was missing were attributed to her keeping up that fake person she created.

He could say these things..I don't think it is a good idea, but it is the only thing I can see them going with.

LE did look for ZG, but they could say ZG may have made up that name and that Jeff and Lewis were names she gave to keep her parents at bay and that she was always trying to solve her own problems in secret.

We all know this is malarkey - but I can see this going down that path. Her fear of being exposed to her family and friends was greater than her fear of a woman she thought she knew holding Casey. That she never thought that Woman would KILL Caylee.

But again I am no KC defender just throwing it out there. So please don't beat me up
:)

MO

Oh Mendara, that was not directed at you. I was just reminding CM. He claims to be old and forgets things. lol This was a hearing. It will be very different during the trial and they will be very careful what they introduce. It's more about damage control at this point for defense. Try to get as much thrown out as they can. Getting down to the wire they will have to go with what they have. Defense knows making KC a victim in front of the jury will not fly. KC actions and reactions in court speak louder than words. jmo

My opinions only.

The defence's strategy will boil down to hand-waving, straw man arguments, and besmirching LE.

Hand-waving: KC's lied because she was terrified of the big, scary detectives, because the child (KC) is a tiny girl.

Straw man: KC did say on the 911 tape that ZFG kidnapped Caylee, but it was only because her over-bearing, controlling mother was there that she wasn't completely truthful. My God, poor KC was treated to badly by her mother, that she had to resort to stealing money from Amy H to support herself to get out of the claws of CA. From minute one, KC was "psychologically arrested". As a matter of fact, KC has always been "psychologically arrested" in the Anthony family, and they abused her. Poor, poor KC. She didn't report Caylee missing because KC feared for her own safety because she knew that if something happened to her, she'd never see Caylee again.

Besmirching LE: They carry guns, and demanded answers from her when she was already under psychological duress from her mother. No one actually cared about hearing the truth from KC, especially LE who tread all over the little woman's rights.

IMO, this is at the very least, what CM wants to bring out during the trial. I base my opinion on the way he spoke during his close March 7th. His argument to the jury is going to be: KC didn't report Caylee missing because she was terrified of CA, and abused people don't always behave rationally. Additionally, by the time CA cornered KC and got the truth, it was too late for baby Caylee and now, trodden on KC has to live with this for the rest of her life.

It's also my opinion that CM is behind the times, and KC isn't the first woman and mother accused of doing the unthinkable.

He needs to understand we're no longer in the days where it's shocking that a woman could be a sociopath and murder her baby. Two words: Diane Downs. CM's emotional arguments will have no affect on the jury. In fact, the women on the jury may see his argument as sexist and dislike KC all the more for it.

I could be wrong that CM plans to argue this way.

BBM...but that wouldn't mean that ICA didn't do harm to Caylee? Even if, big IF, someone put Caylee in her final resting place, ICA still allegedly murdered her, how would that help? I don't think anyone helped ICA or it would have been shouted out from the highest tower, no, this is all ICA....JMHO

Justice for Caylee

I agree this doesn't answer all the questions...but then again, it doesn't have to...remember, the burden is on the state to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt".....and while I hope and pray they do....this would throw a big wrench into the works.

I think the trial tactics will be different. I would hope defense is actively trying to get KC to agree to a deal with SA to get the death penalty off the table.

At the age of 18 no matter how bad your family life is there is nothing stopping you from getting up and leaving. KC had a job she chose not to return to. She had a chance to get married and she blew that off, why??? One simple statement she made on her first call home from jail....."Caylee, Caylee, Caylee. That's all everyone cares about is Caylee." Her reason for breaking up with JG, he cared more for Caylee than her.

IMO, this says it all and why Caylee is no longer in KC's life. Just no room. jmo

I think any defense trying to paint Casey afraid of LE or her parents will fall flat on it's face. Not just as an excuse for her lying because the SA can prove she's been at that for many years through multiple witnesses including friends like Annie and Ryan. That first phone call from jail shows how Casey spoke to her mother and then there are neighbors that heard arguments at the Anthony home and how Casey spoke to her mother. There is quite a history and multiple witnesses the SA will use to show jurors what kind of person Casey really is.

Reading alot of possible reasons for Defense to claim this that or another things..however, unfortunately for the defense, they burned far too many bridges in the past 2 andhalf years... Up and until Caylee was found ( a few blocks away from the home of the Anthony's) I could see the Deny deny deny tactic..however once Caylee WAS found, then Casey could haved admitted it was an accident, and was afraid of Cindy et al~~...but no absolutely hint of that..They continued to blame everyone else...including the poor man who found Caylee..and then attack TES for their efforts in trying to find Caylee...They really dont have many other ways to defense ICA..They are left with keeping out as much evidence as possible, debunking the results of any forensics, and even likely to throw Cindy, George, Lee under the bus, not to mention how they tried to do that with all of Casey's former friends and men in her life....

Baez, Mason, and Sims have a tough fight on their hands...and its mainly due to the shifting sands of truthes Ms. Casey has been weaving since long before Caylee was even reported missing. WE do have to at least thank Cindy for reporting Caylee missing, after that her agenda really did change things:banghead:

JMOO~~ That Defense Team really have no other alternative than depicting their client as a weakling, unable to control her life:twocents:

I think any defense trying to paint Casey afraid of LE or her parents will fall flat on it's face. Not just as an excuse for her lying because the SA can prove she's been at that for many years through multiple witnesses including friends like Annie and Ryan. That first phone call from jail shows how Casey spoke to her mother and then there are neighbors that heard arguments at the Anthony home and how Casey spoke to her mother. There is quite a history and multiple witnesses the SA will use to show jurors what kind of person Casey really is.

ITA! And all they have to do is show this video clip and ask the jury who looked and sounded submissive and who looked and sounded domineering? KC wasn't afraid of her parents. It would appear that they were afraid of her. JMO.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li4MCED--no[/ame]

You know,I have had this thought in my head since the beginning of court sessions where we had the opportunity to view ICA and her defense,it is my observation that the DT has fueled ICA's arrogance. In the manner with which they interact with the SA team and everyone else,I think that had they been a little more humble in their approach and sat down and explained to ICA exactly what she was up against we would not be seeing this farce today, the note writing, eyes rolling,staring at SA,these are things IMO a "reasonable person" in this situation does not do. JB and CM have "created" this monster by telling her they can get her off,I think this is fueled by JB/CM need for publicity to the detrement of their client. I think the same monster they created will turn around eventually and destroy them both JMHO. (sorry if I am not as eloquent as some on here,but I have needed to say this for a while TY)

Anyone here follow the Laci Peterson case? Remember SP saying "is that supposed to be me?" about the pic of him with Amber Frey. We soon learned Scott had a history of being a liar as well and wasn't called on it by many friends and family. IMO SP and Casey exhibit many of the same characteristics. The arrogance before and during trial, attitude towards LE, bulleye defense, similiar motive are just a few instances where the resemblance imo is uncanny. The SP had very little in the way of forensic evidence (one hair, cement) whereas in this case there is an abundance. Yet, I think the jurors guilty verdict will have the same reasoning as the Scott Peterson case did. I'm no longer sure that Casey won't get the DP upon verdict after reading some depos where Caylee's remains are described and re-reading some witness interviews and old media reports where Casey comes across as very dislikable. I don't think the jury will be very sympathetic to her parents when all is said and done. These people are much worse than the Petersons imo so no help there. There is nothing significant this defense team can do for Casey that Mark Geragos didn't do for Scott other than maybe save her from death.

I think the trial tactics will be different. I would hope defense is actively trying to get KC to agree to a deal with SA to get the death penalty off the table.

At the age of 18 no matter how bad your family life is there is nothing stopping you from getting up and leaving. KC had a job she chose not to return to. She had a chance to get married and she blew that off, why??? One simple statement she made on her first call home from jail....."Caylee, Caylee, Caylee. That's all everyone cares about is Caylee." Her reason for breaking up with JG, he cared more for Caylee than her.

IMO, this says it all and why Caylee is no longer in KC's life. Just no room. jmo

BMM
I would hope so as well But..
IMO
As of now..I don't think the Defense is actively trying to get ICA to agree to a deal (IF one has been offered)..they are concentrating on getting as much evidenced tossed as possible. I believe the Defense will wait until Judge Perry rules next week on the Motions we just heard argued and then re-evaluate the game plan.
:twocents:

You know,I have had this thought in my head since the beginning of court sessions where we had the opportunity to view ICA and her defense,it is my observation that the DT has fueled ICA's arrogance. In the manner with which they interact with the SA team and everyone else,I think that had they been a little more humble in their approach and sat down and explained to ICA exactly what she was up against we would not be seeing this farce today, the note writing, eyes rolling,staring at SA,these are things IMO a "reasonable person" in this situation does not do. JB and CM have "created" this monster by telling her they can get her off,I think this is fueled by JB/CM need for publicity to the detrement of their client. I think the same monster they created will turn around eventually and destroy them both JMHO. (sorry if I am not as eloquent as some on here,but I have needed to say this for a while TY)

I agree that she will destroy both JB's and CM's reputation. CM made a bad choice when he joined this DT, as I understand he is a highly respected and successful defense attorney in FL. IMO, he is coming off as foolish and flippant with his performance for KC. I'm not sure how JB could have had a great reputation before all of this considering the lawsuits, failing to pay child support, etc., but I think he will be lucky if he keeps his license after this one. As to their arrogance, I think they brought that with them. No one learns to be that arrogant that fast. I am reminded of the old saying "Birds of a feather, flock together." :innocent:

O/T Question

Do we have a Thread to list all the evidence that is Allowed and/or has been Granted to come into trial?

I will do a search..but wondered if anyone knew

I agree that she will destroy both JB's and CM's reputation. CM made a bad choice when he joined this DT, as I understand he is a highly respected and successful defense attorney in FL. IMO, he is coming off as foolish and flippant with his performance for KC. I'm not sure how JB could have had a great reputation before all of this considering the lawsuits, failing to pay child support, etc., but I think he will be lucky if he keeps his license after this one. As to their arrogance, I think they brought that with them. No one learns to be that arrogant that fast. I am reminded of the old saying "Birds of a feather, flock together." :innocent:

I have to disagree about Casey destroying Baez and Mason's reputations. They did that themselves when they took her on as their client. Mason definately knew better as he had commented on her case long before he became her lawyer. Baez, I guess we can just chalk him up to being a bit dense in his logical thinking. Both of them could have done a better job than what they have shown but it appears that both appear to love the media attention to much and cares even less for what others think of them as people and lawyers.

I know. An attorney who continually avoided paying child support and medical, too, right? Defending a woman for child abuse. "The irony is rich."

ITA! And all they have to do is show this video clip and ask the jury who looked and sounded submissive and who looked and sounded domineering? KC wasn't afraid of her parents. It would appear that they were afraid of her. JMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li4MCED--no

That video makes me so angry especially when she says "my entire life has been taken from me"

REALLY???? What about Caylee's life? :banghead:

I don't even have a clue what the D.T. strategy is except to get all truth thrown out of the case. The don't want any of ICA's statements allowed- which she made with her own mouth. They seem to indicate that someone tampered with the remains so now even what is left of caylee should be inadmissible (why are we surprised?). Her parents actions are suspect so guess what? Let's kick those out too. There is no conspiracy against KC. The TRUTH Is what everyone wants to know in this case, and what we have all tried for years to figure out. Where,when, how, who, and with what- was Caylee killed. This trial will not give us the answers we want but it may bring the justice we need. But I still say, let it all come in as it is all a part of the story. It seems KC signed up with a lawyer just so she didn't have to answer these questions or actually be truly accountable to anyone. Lawyered up. Cut off. Protected.
She will never tell the whole story because that is her way of keeping the power in her own hands, and in the end it will be the only power she has left at all.

BMM
I would hope so as well But..
IMO
As of now..I don't think the Defense is actively trying to get ICA to agree to a deal (IF one has been offered)..they are concentrating on getting as much evidenced tossed as possible. I believe the Defense will wait until Judge Perry rules next week on the Motions we just heard argued and then re-evaluate the game plan.

I totally agree,I think the ruling of HHJP will definitely be the game changer,if this DT has any ethics or concern for their client's well being.We shall see next week what happens, if JB/CM start making visits to the jail to see ICA we will know something is up. :eek:hoh:

I must prefice this post to Mods..as this link is a blog by someone who attended a seminar by Cheney Mason regarding "Defense Theory's"...Please remove if inappropriate or move to wherever you feel is more appropriate~~

IF you read this it sort of explains just where CM is going with his methods...including bringing in the " United States v. Alfonso-Perez, 535 F. 2d 1362 (U.S. 2d Cir. 1976)." into his closings...

http://blog.richardhornsby.com/2011/03/the-theory-of-the-defense/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members