GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
My heart is so broken...and I'm super angry. Really angry.
And I would volunteer to pull the plug on this jerk.
Then I would keep on crying.

OMG! I just read about this. When I look at that sweet girl, my heart feels like it is going to sink into the floor.

Still.......someone ran after the vehicle and got a partial and that is about things changing.

10 hours he had her.....10! Prayers to her family...

Bags... first thought, combined with bleach on the floor, was dismemberment. Hope the wet floor was just slop/spatter clean up and the plural 'bags' were double-bagging. Not that it makes her death less tragic... just less gruesome for me to fathom. Poor thing.
Used to be a visible cell phone was a deterrent unto itself. I've personally used one that way in some very bad neighborhoods in NYC many times. Broad daylight? Visible witnesses? Ugh.
I hoard bleach. But only because I don't store it in the house and tend to forget I've already got 3 bottles in the storage room. CRAFT-disease sets in when there's a sale... :)

WHy did he have to shoot her? People saw him and could ID him from the vehicle which would eventually led to him. He must have known he would have been caught. WTH? WHY???? Shoot yourself and let her go.

Now that the shock has semi-worn off, I want to know why if the police were AT this guys house at 8:30PM............WHY did it take until early next morning to get a warrant to search his house???
Now I'm angry......

I have not posted on this thread but have read thread #1 frombeginning to end.

I am amazed at all the posters who state they could have done better than the witnesses and apparently stopped the abduction. Who are they kidding?

How long does it take for a madman to pull a child into a car and take off?

As another poster wrote, if it was not for these witnessed he probably would not have been caught and it would end up another cold case. The woman even remembered the correct licence number under all of that pressure. The man who chased him wouldn't have the training in persuit that the police have, so give him a break. He didn't not want to get involved he just went for it. I think this town should be glad that they had such upstanding citizens amongst them. I feel for these witnesses who wll be traumatised by this event. They will probably be examining if they could have done things better but at the time they did what they could. Without them there would be no arrest at this time.
I will not comment on the Amber Alert. The police department needs to have a review of their protocol there. JMOO

Those photos look professional. Hope she wasn't targeted.

By a *advertiser censored* Ring.

Gunshot wound to back of head. Chilling. Don't we usually hear of suffocation?

"Authorities believe Wood, a Springfield schools employee, abducted her from a Springfield street in the daylight hours Tuesday, took her to the basement of his home and shot her in the back of her head"

news-leader.com

Do we know if she was molested?. This could be something else.....like revenge?

Gunshot wound to back of head. Chilling. Don't we usually hear of suffocation?

"Authorities believe Wood, a Springfield schools employee, abducted her from a Springfield street in the daylight hours Tuesday, took her to the basement of his home and shot her in the back of her head"

news-leader.com

I thought of this too. Almost like a quick execution. Pray that he didn't molest her.

The ONLY thing that gave me a chuckle today. JMO. When the superintendent gave the statement that he did work there...but he was suspended until this matter is resolved. Are you kidding me? Guy is arrested for this murder and he is just "suspended".

No words for this horrific crime...heavy heart...it is so very similar to Jessica Ridgeway's case in many ways (10 yr old female, broad daylight, vehicle abduction, basement, ligatures, murder)...

From the probable cause document posted on the prior page by Knox, it sounds like the witnesses were right on with their descriptions. Thank goodness they were able to help get this guy off the street, just wish they could have gotten there in time to save Hailey. :(

As mentioned above, the gunshot wound surprises me a bit, as it seems most of the cases like this I've seen involve asphyxiation/ strangulation.

What else has this monster done? This is most certainly not his first crime, jmo. What other similar unsolved cases are there in the vicinity, and/or places he is known to have lived and worked?

:rose:
Hailey

The ONLY thing that gave me a chuckle today. JMO. When the superintendent gave the statement that he did work there...but he was suspended until this matter is resolved. Are you kidding me? Guy is arrested for this murder and he is just "suspended".

I had to lol too!

I immediately wanted to know if the teachers union made it possible for him to be suspended with pay!!!!

Is he suspended with or without pay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the witnesses did an amazing job all things considered. I'm grateful to them because I think they are the only reason he was caught so quickly. Not quick enough to save her obviously, but it's possible he'd still be out there otherwise.

I wonder what happened to her cell phone?

I can't help but wonder if maybe he thought she was someone else, maybe a certain kid from the school he taught at, whom he was mad at for some reason? Haley was pretty tall for her age. This just seems like more than a random opportunistic kidnapping to me. Like it was personal somehow.
According to the timeline, it seems as though he only had an hour at best to carry out his plans (given time to clean up and do laundry) before he was taken in for questioning. And a gunshot COD?! That's rare in these types of cases.
Just thinking out loud. I really don't think this was his 1st murder. I think the witnesses are the sole reason we have any resolution at all. I think he rushed and got sloppy because he knew it was only a matter of time until he was caught.
I am shocked by his father's reaction. Not even a "this can't be true" or "my son couldn't have done this." ?!? He's a football coach.. and his own father just accepts this?! Something's not right.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

WHy did he have to shoot her? People saw him and could ID him from the vehicle which would eventually led to him. He must have known he would have been caught. WTH? WHY???? Shoot yourself and let her go.

I have to believe he was not in full control of his senses. Drug use comes to mind. The abduction being done in broad daylight, with no worry over his actions, his face, and his dad's truck and plates being seen...either this is his first offense committed while high and/or plain stupid, or it's the end of a long series of similar events, where he finally felt utterly invincible. I hope it's the former.

Those gorgeous family portraits made my heart break a bit, tonight. I'm thankful for her family, that they at least have those recent and beautiful memories. Praying for justice in this life, but I'm also finding solace in the certainty that it will not be lacking in the next...and that this sweet little girl is in an indescribably beautiful and loving place right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆