Investigators' Search on Taylor's Mountain

Bedford County Sheriffs Press Conference Monday 12 Jan 2015

BEDFORD CO. (WSLS 10) - The Bedford County Sheriff's Office announced Monday a new two day search for the missing Lyon sisters. For the first time, officials are conducting a forensic dig on Taylor's Mountain. During the press conference Monday, Sheriff Mike Brown said they received new information on specific areas to search.About a dozen members of the FBI's evidence recovery team and a couple members of Virginia State Police are assisting in the two day dig.

Officials first searched Taylor's Mountain in September 2014 after receiving new information.

Sheriff Brown says they are close to finding an answer on what happened to the sisters and provide their family closure.

"We want so bad for this to end with a successful conclusion, bring information as to where the children are so that they, like I said, in my first press conference can receive an appropriate burial," said Sheriff Brown. The Sheriff added that this case has put a huge impact on the department financially and mentally. It has also impacted residents of Taylor's Mountain. Sheila and Katherine Lyon went missing in 1975 from a shopping mall in Montgomery County, Maryland and officials believe they were eventually brought to Bedford County.
The commonwealth's attorney said human information is the key to this case and is pleading for people to come forward if they may have any information....

LINK:

http://www.wjtv.com/story/27825448/...-hold-news-conference-on-missing-lyon-sisters

I mean no offense or disrespect to the Sheriff or the people of Taylor's Mountain. I understand that both have been impacted by this case but that impact has been very recent for both. They haven't gone through anything even remotely close to what the Lyon family has had to endure for nearly 40 years. I can't even imagine the torture that Kate and Sheila went through. As for the financial impact...who cares?! Two children walked outside and were never seen again.

I mean no offense or disrespect to the Sheriff or the people of Taylor's Mountain. I understand that both have been impacted by this case but that impact has been very recent for both. They haven't gone through anything even remotely close to what the Lyon family has had to endure for nearly 40 years. I can't even imagine the torture that Kate and Sheila went through. As for the financial impact...who cares?! Two children walked outside and were never seen again.

I agree with you, motherof5. I remember very well when the girls disappeared and how awful the whole thing was. Worse was never knowing what happened to them. Forty years later we are still waiting for answers that hopefully are forthcoming. As far as the financial costs being incurred with the searches in Bedford County, Virginia. If the girls remains are located and recovered would it be possible to hold those accused for the financial liability incurred and have them reimburse agencies involved, including the Bedford County Police Dept, the Montgomery County Police Department, the FBI, Liberty University, Radford University, etc.?... And, jumping forward, if people are charged in this case (criminal charges), could the Lyon family also file a suit against them for 'wrongful death' (civil charges). Perhaps Richard could give us his educated opinion here.

We in montgomery county pay ridiculous taxes. I'm sure it's not a problem financially on our end. Just my opinion.

NBC TV4 News tonight stated that Police are wrapping up their week long search on Taylors Mountain. They have termed it a "forensic search".

Photos indicate several tent type coverings over holes and workers using sifter boxes to shake the soil taken from the holes - in the same way that archarologists conduct a dig.

They state that they are pleased with the progression of the search, but have not stated whether or not they have found anything.

NBC TV4 News tonight stated that Police are wrapping up their week long search on Taylors Mountain. They have termed it a "forensic search".

Photos indicate several tent type coverings over holes and workers using sifter boxes to shake the soil taken from the holes - in the same way that archarologists conduct a dig.

They state that they are pleased with the progression of the search, but have not stated whether or not they have found anything.

They say the forensic dig is complete but the work will go another day. What does that mean exactly? Another day to sift through their finds?

They say the forensic dig is complete but the work will go another day. What does that mean exactly? Another day to sift through their finds?

I thought they might mean that it will take another day to pack up all the equipment that was brought in, set up, and used for the forensic dig and perhaps they have to replace the soil and leave the property in a certain condition. But I am only speculating here. Anyone else have any other ideas?

I thought they might mean that it will take another day to pack up all the equipment that was brought in, set up, and used for the forensic dig and perhaps they have to replace the soil and leave the property in a certain condition. But I am only speculating here. Anyone else have any other ideas?

Probably a good summary of the wrap-up work to be done today.

TV coverage showed about six dig sites in a row, each covered with a high legged tent type structure - like those used to cover tables at a yard sale. In front of each site was a tall tripod with a 3foot by 3 foot wooden box to be used to shake and sift each pail of dirt taken from the dig site.

Any artifacts found will be carefully cataloged, packaged, and assigned a separate number associated with the grid square and site where it was located. Analysis will be done later in a laboratory.

Artifacts will indicate when and if a site was dug previously. Soil analysis will also be done which might indicate any previous digging in the area.

Since "in ground radar" was probably used, the dig might also resolve any unknown anomalies seen on that equipment.

TV coverage showed about six dig sites in a row, each covered with a high legged tent type structure - like those used to cover tables at a yard sale. In front of each site was a tall tripod with a 3foot by 3 foot wooden box to be used to shake and sift each pail of dirt taken from the dig site.

Any artifacts found will be carefully cataloged, packaged, and assigned a separate number associated with the grid square and site where it was located. Analysis will be done later in a laboratory.

Artifacts will indicate when and if a site was dug previously. Soil analysis will also be done which might indicate any previous digging in the area.

Since "in ground radar" was probably used, the dig might also resolve any unknown anomalies seen on that equipment.

I believe that analysis will also be able to determine the length of time any artifacts found may have been in the ground.

I understood that it will take time for an analysis, just wasn't sure what else they'd be doing but that sounds logical to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They pulled out all of the equipment on Thursday evening and were coming back in when I stopped by the Thaxton Community Center to drop off some coffee for them. I drove around by the search/digging site on Friday with a friend and we couldn't tell where they had dug at all. We sat there by the side of the road, in the quiet peaceful mountain and discussed theories. No law enforcement was up on the mountain because of the 4 day holiday weekend. It was very sad to sit there and discuss what may have happened to these 2 girls.

They pulled out all of the equipment on Thursday evening and were coming back in when I stopped by the Thaxton Community Center to drop off some coffee for them. I drove around by the search/digging site on Friday with a friend and we couldn't tell where they had dug at all. We sat there by the side of the road, in the quiet peaceful mountain and discussed theories. No law enforcement was up on the mountain because of the 4 day holiday weekend. It was very sad to sit there and discuss what may have happened to these 2 girls.

beachlvr0810, thank you for sharing that information.
Your heartfelt words have brought me to tears.

I think only a mother of her children could truly say it best.
I remember watching an older news video of Mary and John Lyon.

In the video, Mary is crying and saying how "they were cheated!!"
They NEVER got to see EITHER ONE of THEIR ONLY GIRLS walk
down the aisle on their wedding day and the grandchildren they
NEVER HAD!!!

HEARTBREAKING WORDS that mainly a mother can TRULY UNDERSTAND!! :(

beachlvr0810, thank you for sharing that information.
Your heartfelt words have brought me to tears.

I think only a mother of her children could truly say it best.
I remember watching an older news video of Mary and John Lyon.

In the video, Mary is crying and saying how "they were cheated!!"
They NEVER got to see EITHER ONE of THEIR ONLY GIRLS walk
down the aisle on their wedding day and the grandchildren they
NEVER HAD!!!

HEARTBREAKING WORDS that mainly a mother can TRULY UNDERSTAND!! :(

And we do understand...my daughter and I have walked in the woods on the mountain on the opposite hollow from where the search site is, and poured out our hearts to each other about how this has affected us. There is a deep sadness over the mountain.

This is in reply to siriunsun's post from the LLW
thread.

I don't know anything at all about forensic work, how long it takes, etc...

However, from comments made from LE, they seemed to indicate they were happy with how things progressed so far from the dig itself.

From comments I have heard from others, as well as common sense would make sense that the forensic work may take months.

I would guess that remains found may have to be pieced together.

It could even turn out to be remains that may not be the Lyon sisters,
but perhaps may be connected to another case.

Time will tell.

However, could someone here that knows or knows someone else that knows--
explain the time difference between doing a DNA test on a living person and
testing for a match, vs. putting remains together from the dig and then testing
the DNA for a match??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads