CA - Hasanni Campbell, 5, Oakland, 10 Aug 2009 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
He not just changing his story, he's correcting it. Like Hasanni being in the car, then he was next to the car, then he was waiting at the door.
He keeps upgrading the story to a more favorable version.

I don't know that he's changing his story, cuz all we heard before was from media reports, not from him directly? And it looks like next to the car is almost the same thing as next to the door, based on the small size of the parking lot..

Okay Columbo, seems there is plenty of time to take a child 'cause Ross did have to walk around two corners. Aa child can be taken in a heartbeat. What I can't figure out is how an abductor can grab a child, walk down a narrow space with child in arms and possibly screaming, turn corners, walk down a street with traffic And NOBODY saw or heard anything!!! This story is getting more ridiculous by the minute. :banghead: mho

Good point. That is such a busy part of Oakland. I also can't see Hasanni not screaming or making some kind of noise. Unless Ross and JC --with all the effort they have put into rehabilitating Hasanni--never warned him about "stranger danger" etc.

I guess I'm recalling the odd and bizarre child abductions that have never been solved, where a child was abducted or even killed right under the parents' noses...like Jon Benet Ramsey, the Eisenberg baby in Florida, etc. Or John Walsh's son spirited away from that store....

I also remember another abduction in CA where the parents were interviewed and they were laying around like dope smokers during the interview...I thought for sure, these people did it...it turned out they were innocent. Such strange things can happen.

Hourly Observations~94555~Fremont and surrounding area to give you a better idea of overall conditions that day

Time~Temp~Dew Point

12:54 AM 64.0 °F 55.9 °F
1:54 AM 64.0 °F 55.0 °F
2:54 AM 64.0 °F 55.0 °F
3:54 AM 64.0 °F 55.0 °F
4:54 AM 62.1 °F 52.0 °F
5:54 AM 62.1 °F 50.0 °F
6:54 AM 63.0 °F 48.0 °F
7:54 AM 68.0 °F 46.9 °F
8:54 AM 71.1 °F 52.0 °F
9:54 AM 75.9 °F 52.0 °F
10:54 AM 78.1 °F 59.0 °F
11:54 AM 82.0 °F 57.0 °F
12:54 PM 88.0 °F 51.1 °F
1:54 PM 86.0 °F 57.9 °F
2:54 PM 82.9 °F 59.0 °F
3:54 PM 84.0 °F 55.9 °F
4:54 PM 82.0 °F 55.9 °F
5:54 PM 80.1 °F 55.0 °F
6:54 PM 75.9 °F 54.0 °F
7:54 PM 70.0 °F 54.0 °F
8:54 PM 64.9 °F 55.0 °F
9:54 PM 63.0 °F 55.9 °F
10:54 PM 62.1 °F 55.9 °F
11:54 PM 62.1 °F 55.9 °F

info from here: http://www.wunderground.com/history...Fremont&req_state=CA&req_statename=California

Now that I see how far it is from that alley to the door, I actually believe the story a little more. Can't really reconcile the sheer stupidity of essentially ditching the kid in the alley, but it makes the story and his self deprecating statements more believable.

Sweatsuit....with temps climbing to 88 degrees that day? No way, just didn't happen. I think whatever happened, happened early, at the apartment. I wouldn't put my 3.5 year old in a sweatsuit to go out with weather conditions like these. I'd be scared he'd have a heat stroke. But I do let him walk around in his sweats if he's in the house. We keep it like a freezer inside.

There was a "Baby World" store on that corner, but I think it has moved. The Google streetview image is dated 2009, and the store on the corner of College and Harwood is vacant and from both the front (in that image) and the side, you can see through to the other street. I don't know if that is currently the case, but I do think that Baby World has moved to or consolidated with another location in Oakland. Doesn't anyone here live in Oakland and could go look?

UPDATED: Foster Father Of Missing Boy Undergoes More Police Questioning
Posted: 4:38 pm PDT August 13, 2009
Updated: 7:02 pm PDT August 14, 2009
<snipped>
The foster father of a missing boy with cerebral palsy reportedly left his Fremont home with homicide detectives Friday afternoon for additional questioning.

Police said the detective involved had not spoken with Louis Ross directly and wanted to ask him some questions.

Ross said he was dropping Hasanni Campbell and his young sister off at a shoe store in Rockridge Monday to stay with his foster mother while he went to school.

Ross said he had parked in the back of the store and gone around to the front to tell his fiancé to open the back door to get Hasanni. He said this is something he's done every Monday and Wednesday for months.

Backman said a homicide detective has been assigned to the case along with eight special victims units.

"We're going to explore any and all possible outcomes of the case," he said.

Louis Ross and Jennifer Campbell, the foster parents of Hassani, have been cooperating with the investigation, Backman said.

Investigators searched the parents' house in Fremont, as well as a nearby park, earlier this week, he said.

Article:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/20390807/detail.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Child Abduction Cases By Strangers Are Rare
August 14, 2009 &#8211; 6:08 pm
<snipped>
Child Abduction cases do not occur often in the East Bay, say police, a few days after a foster father reported that a five-year-old boy with cerebral palsy disappeared in Rockridge.

&#8220;In Berkeley, child abductions are exceedingly rare. Ordinarily, they&#8217;re short-lived and have to do with some kind of custody battle,&#8221; said Sgt. Mary Kusmiss of the Berkeley Police on Friday afternoon.

Abductions by strangers occur even more infrequently.

The last time a stranger abducted a child in Berkeley occurred in 1992, Kusmiss said. In the Baby Kerri case, a Richmond woman posing as a social worker stole a two-day old baby from her 16-year-old mother at Alta Bates hospital in Berkeley.

The baby was returned three months later, thanks to a tip from a neighbor.

Fremont Police Detective Bill Veteran said that kidnappings were also &#8220;a rarity&#8221; in Fremont, where the boy is from. The most recent incident, he said, was a child abduction involving the child&#8217;s father, which occurred years ago. Abductions by strangers, he added, were especially rare.

According to the California Department of Justice, there were 1,363 parental or family member child abductions in 2008, compared to just 35 stranger abductions in the same year.

National statistics from 2002 affirm the same trend: abductions of children by family members are about three times more common than abductions by strangers, according to U.S. Department of Justice.

&#8220;The harsh reality is, most abduction cases are by somebody [the child] knows,&#8221; said Anthony Gonzales of Child Quest International, a non-profit that deals with missing and exploited children in the Bay Area.

Article:
http://oaklandnorth.net/2009/08/14/child-abduction-cases-by-strangers-are-rare/
NEW VIDEO: Search Continues For Missing Boy
http://serve.castfire.com/video/140565/140565_2009-08-14-012143.mp4
UPDATED: Father of missing Fremont boy questioned again by police Friday afternoon
Posted: 08/14/2009 02:05:04 PM PDT
Updated: 08/14/2009 06:13:17 PM PDT
<snipped>
Two Oakland police investigators took the foster father of missing 5-year-old Hassani Campbell away from his home Friday for additional questioning, but did not take him to the police station.

Police Sgt. Gus Galindo, a homicide investigator, later would not discuss details of the interview with foster father Louis Ross, and it was not clear how long the interview lasted.

He and Sgt. Tim Nolan went to the family's two-story home on Roxie Terrace earlier Friday, and about 1:30 p.m. exited the home and waited near their vehicle.

A few minutes later, Ross emerged from the home wearing a light-colored dress shirt and dark pants. He walked swiftly across the lawn and got

into the back seat of the car by himself. The car then drove off.

At no time was he handcuffed.

They apparently dropped him off back at his house less than two hours later.

Article:
http://www.insidebayarea.com/localnews/ci_13093246
UPDATED: Search for missing 5-year-old boy intensifies
The Oakland homicide division is now involved in the search for 5-year-old Hasanni Campbell who has been missing since Monday. Police say it is because they need the additional personnel, and not because they consider it a murder case. A wrecking yard was the latest focus of their investigation.
Friday, August 14, 2009 | 7:14 PM
<snipped>
Police in the East Bay have more questions for the foster father of a missing 5-year-old disabled boy from Fremont. The foster father was the last person to see Hasanni Campbell this past Monday on College Avenue in Oakland.

On Friday afternoon, the child's foster father, Louis Ross, walked out of his Fremont home and into the waiting car of Oakland Police detectives.

According to Ross' advisor, attorney John Burris, detectives drove Ross around for about an hour. Earlier this week Ross told ABC7 News he spent nearly 30 hours to detectives.

Ross was not taken to Oakland Police headquarters, rather detectives simply drove him around for about an hour. They want him to retrace his steps the morning the child disappeared.

In the meantime, Alameda County Search and Rescue will conduct a wide scale search for Hassani on Monday.
"We've been asked to coordinate a search and rescue effort for Saturday for the Oakland Police Department and it entails us calling other search and rescuers from other allied agencies as well as our own, and come Saturday wherever the Oakland Police Department wants us we will search those areas," said Sheriff's Spokesperson J.D. Nelson.

Oakland Police has yet to announce where that search will take place.

NEW VIDEO: Missing boy's foster father questioned again
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=6966103

Article:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=6964246

:angel:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f

The foster father of a missing 5-year-old boy was interviewed for about an hour Friday by Oakland police homicide investigators who brought him to a Hayward auto wrecking yard where he took the boy before the child vanished, authorities said.

Louis Ross agreed to accompany Sgt. Gus Galindo to the Pick Your Part wrecking yard on Winton Avenue, where Ross took Hasanni Campbell and the boy's 1-year-old sister Monday afternoon, hours before the boy disappeared, said John Burris, a lawyer whom Ross is consulting

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=6966166

In the meantime, Alameda County Search and Rescue will conduct a wide scale search for Hassani on Monday.
"We've been asked to coordinate a search and rescue effort for Saturday for the Oakland Police Department and it entails us calling other search and rescuers from other allied agencies as well as our own, and come Saturday wherever the Oakland Police Department wants us we will search those areas," said Sheriff's Spokesperson J.D. Nelson.

There was a "Baby World" store on that corner, but I think it has moved. The Google streetview image is dated 2009, and the store on the corner of College and Harwood is vacant and from both the front (in that image) and the side, you can see through to the other street. I don't know if that is currently the case, but I do think that Baby World has moved to or consolidated with another location in Oakland. Doesn't anyone here live in Oakland and could go look?

I live somewhat near Oakland and could go take a look. I've been thinking about doing that anyhow. Saturday might not be the best day--it's so busy and parking is difficult there.

I think it will be very telling just where LE asks Alameda County Search and Rescue to conduct their search. The areas searched (if released) should indicate just what the S&R is looking for and should give some inkling if LE are thinking of this as a kidnapping or as something else.

Well LE would not be taking Ross to relive that day if they thought someone took Hassani from the store location. LE doesn't believe the story he's telling and I don't either.

The interesting thing about the article on DOJ stats is it doesn't mention that not only are stranger abductions rare, many children reported missing that are later found dead or never found at all went missing at the hands of their parents, the parents significant others or other type of caretakers. In other words, they were never abductions to begin with but were homicides from the get go and falsely reported as abductions.

Does anyone know if this is a new BMW? I read up on the BMW assist program which is like OnStar. It has a built in hands free phone. If it's a new one he could've called from the cars phone when he arrived there.

Coyote Hills is less than 5 minutes from the house and the park. I live next to the park. I was at Coyote Hills earlier this week and spoke to the fellow in the ticket booth. He said the police had been by the day before to look around.

I imagine that they would search Don Edwards park this weekend too since it is also about 5-7 minutes from the house with a pier into the bay at the end.

I don't know how to ask this tactfully so if I offend anyone I am profoundly sorry. If something 'happens' to a child, one who's about 30 pounds. How much time can elapse, realistically, before cadaver dogs are able to pick up the scent of decomp? A few minutes after the child is deceased...an hour....how long?

I don't know how to ask this tactfully so if I offend anyone I am profoundly sorry. If something 'happens' to a child, one who's about 30 pounds. How much time can elapse, realistically, before cadaver dogs are able to pick up the scent of decomp? A few minutes after the child is deceased...an hour....how long?

Shutterfly, IIRC... decomp can be picked up by trained dogs as few as 10-15 minutes after death, and the scent only gets stronger.

The 10-15 minutes is needed when the deceased is moved from one place to another, the deceased must rest in one place at least that long before the dogs will hit.

There are a few posters here that are very knowledgeable about the whole process and have posted it on several different threads here. I am only repeating to you what I recall from reading their posts. I hope I have not misinformed anyone.

I'm starting to wonder if the security camera at Coyote Hills is now working if police are again focusing on that area. I watched them install it a few months ago. We go there a lot with our East Bay Regional Parks pass to visit Houdini the turtle and the butterfly garden. Although, if it was working you think the police would have spent even more time out there if they knew something. You can get in without paying the toll if you walk. It seems improbably that someone could walk out far enough into the marsh or farmland in daylight to hide something so large without anyone noticing. The water is very shallow, so shallow you can see some of the larger fish from the road. In the dry months the ponds dry up entirely with the exception of the shallow stream. If somebody left something there it is going to be readily obvious in a few months.

Also, if you were at Coyote Hills and didn't bury someone or hide them in the water, there are many buzzards there who eat the squirrels hit by cars driving through the park. It would be very obvious if someone was there.

Nobody in their right mind would leave a 5 year old in an alley and walk that far away. Brings me back to calling the aunt or sending her a text.

Any idea how long he was at the salvage yard ? How long would it take for a child to succumb to the heat in a closed car ?
Where was the baby while he was looking for parts ?
What time was he at there ?

Bold mine.

Keep in mind that I am praying that Ross is innocent of this, but we should remember that he is a relatively "new" Dad...only has been one for what, 8-9 months. Plus he is a man...maybe a mom would not leave her 5 yr old that far away, but he is:

1. A man-thinking process is different from a woman
2. Running late for his class, etc.
3. Thinks he is in a relatively safe area of town
4. New to being a parent, and maybe too trusting or not as cynical as someone who has been parenting for the full five years of Hassini's life.

So maybe, in his haste, to get to class, he thought he could run to the front door of the shoe store, tell Jennifer to open the back door to let Hassini in and then hurry around back again, and he thought Hassani would be ok for that 5 minutes that that took.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member