UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was just checking real quick before i head to work to see if he has been arrested yet...nope :(

regarding jp's father helping, thats not a bad idea. that could be where he headed when he went "camping". west valley city to the town where the cox's live according to mapquest is a 13 hour drive...so didnt he have at minimum 17hours? iirc some had said that he had more like 21 hours total??? now with the rental, since we dont know how many miles are on it or how long he had it - was it just the one day? i guess he could have went at least half way there?? also, what about his friend wayne's car? now im going to be thinkin about this all day at work, lol! hope you guys have it figured out when i get back! :)

eta: where does the father live? all i remember is that its a gated community...:waitasec: goin to look

eta: sp does live in Puyallup, wa. could someone tell me how to pronounce Puyallup, please? :)
Police would not say the exact miles put on the rental car - they said "several hundred". To me, that means about 300 or so. Puyallup WA is 900 mile drive one way - from SLC. Here's the link to the interview.. http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-police-look-into-rental-car-in-missing-mom,0,5152517.story

I still believe when JP said in the first interview I saw of him, when the reporter met him on the street when JP was near his rental car.. that when he said he went "south".... I believe, as I saw him pause and ponder the question as to where he went, that he came up with South to throw people off. Why would he be honest with that answer - when all his answers were and are misleading? I still say - North - on up to Idaho and near Idaho Falls. That is familiar to him, because he and Susan took that route probably each trip to Washington State. It also is a total round trip of about 350 0r so miles.

He moved the body with the rental car that 24 hours he was not accounted for. Too bad though, that they didn't do forensic samples until a week after the rental car was returned. They vacuum and shampoo those cars out. So evidence would possibly be destroyed.

I think she was placed in water. His hands were reportedly frost bitten and chapped. The friend said "wind burned" but chapped hands would be from wet and cold.
Just my opinion..

I still believe when JP said in the first interview I saw of him, when the reporter met him on the street when JP was near his rental car.. that when he said he went "south".... I believe, as I saw him pause and ponder the question as to where he went, that he came up with South to throw people off. Why would he be honest with that answer - when all his answers were and are misleading? I still say - North - on up to Idaho and near Idaho Falls. That is familiar to him, because he and Susan took that route probably each trip to Washington State. It also is a total round trip of about 350 0r so miles.

He moved the body with the rental car that 24 hours he was not accounted for. Too bad though, that they didn't do forensic samples until a week after the rental car was returned. They vacuum and shampoo those cars out. So evidence would possibly be destroyed.

I think she was placed in water. His hands were reportedly frost bitten and chapped. The friend said "wind burned" but chapped hands would be from wet and cold.
Just my opinion..

it seems that he would have had time to do some moving, but i also think that he would have to have a lot of guts to drive a long way with a dead body in his rental car because his van was impounded for forensic testing...he would most likely assume that the cops were following him...so, that leads me back to thinking she is probably closer than we might think. as far as the hands i think it could still be from cold and water but from what we have heard, he is a germ-o-phobe so it could also be from repeated hand washing with harsh chemicals like bleach. if he did go and move or change things around which would require him to touch a dead body he might be obsessively/compulsively washing his hands... :twocents:

Hope everyone enjoyed a nice holiday :)

I feel so bad for the Cox family and the Powell boys. Even if the Cox's are putting on a brave face about the boys' well-being, those boys are undoubtedly traumatized with recent events and the sudden absence of their mother.

I'm ready for productive news to start rolling again on the Powell case. I realize there will be a wait for DNA-type forensics to come back, but I wonder about computer forensics. There hasn't been a list explicitly stated of items taken under the warrant(s), but it would be standard procedure for household computer(s) to be looked over. How long does that usually take? Would that be done by the local PD or would they farm that out to another agency? Or do we have any way of knowing? I wonder how much of that kind of information (and any findings) will be leaked out over the upcoming week or so.

Seems the PD is aiming to build as airtight a case as possible before making any arrests. I'm curious about what your (fellow sleuthers) opinions are on this. Do you think PD will act on evidence that stops short of some kind of conclusive DNA match? If computer forensics showed searches about 'poison' or other searches of a highly suspicious nature, do you think police would act on that? What are the key elements you feel police will require before they make an arrest?

Hope everyone enjoyed a nice holiday :)

I feel so bad for the Cox family and the Powell boys. Even if the Cox's are putting on a brave face about the boys' well-being, those boys are undoubtedly traumatized with recent events and the sudden absence of their mother.

I'm ready for productive news to start rolling again on the Powell case. I realize there will be a wait for DNA-type forensics to come back, but I wonder about computer forensics. There hasn't been a list explicitly stated of items taken under the warrant(s), but it would be standard procedure for household computer(s) to be looked over. How long does that usually take? Would that be done by the local PD or would they farm that out to another agency? Or do we have any way of knowing? I wonder how much of that kind of information (and any findings) will be leaked out over the upcoming week or so.

Seems the PD is aiming to build as airtight a case as possible before making any arrests. I'm curious about what your (fellow sleuthers) opinions are on this. Do you think PD will act on evidence that stops short of some kind of conclusive DNA match? If computer forensics showed searches about 'poison' or other searches of a highly suspicious nature, do you think police would act on that? What are the key elements you feel police will require before they make an arrest?

hi agatha, those are all good questions. i think every department handles things differently, tho it seems like they have put out things consistently so i like you am waiting for the info mill to start churning again tomorrow morning :) i also think they are playing mental warfare on jp, so i think they will put out info in such a way as for the maximum stress effect on jp...lol ... i hope he doesnt think he can outsmart the cops...maybe for a time, but not forever. it really is just a matter of time until he gets nailed. and we will all be here watching, huh? :)

My Christmas was great! Thanks and I hope yours was also.
IIRC, Josh said that LE took quilt of bed, but I don't think he used it.
It would be wise to see if her coat, boots at still there.
If so, she was dead taking her from home........
if gone, she could have them on alive leaving house.
I still wonder if this coward had someone help him in the clean up, disposal.

The Tom Capano murder is on TV and he convinced his brother to help him.
I don't think he would've used the quilt and then put it back on the bed either, but if he did kill her inside the house and then disposed of her body somewhere it seems logical that she was wrapped in something. I too am thinking of a 2nd person who may have disposed of her while JP & the kids were out "camping". It still seems unimaginable that he would've had her body in the car with the kids and taken the risk of disposing of her then ~ but anything's possible I guess. MOO

I had that very same thought. It could explain the high number of miles he put on the rental car. Maybe he stashed the body somewhere while on his spontaneous midnight camping trip when he could not figure out all the logistics on burying her - the kids were there, the ground most likely was frozen solid - lots of obstacles to burying a body and hiding evidence. So, he stashed her on a temporary basis. The next day he rents the car, goes back to get Susan's body, places it in the rental car, then drives up to his father's house where he gets assistance. Just speculation on a possible way the situation playe out - I have nothing to suggest this really did happen. But it would explain why the rental car was needed, and why so many miles were put on it. JMHO
I'm confused ~ didn't he have something like 300 mi. on the rental? That wouldn't be very much considering the distance up to Puyallup WA from UT. :waitasec: I do think though it's possible he moved the body or went back to where he'd left her to try to make sure she couldn't be found. MOO

I'm confused ~ didn't he have something like 300 mi. on the rental? That wouldn't be very much considering the distance up to Puyallup WA from UT. :waitasec: I do think though it's possible he moved the body or went back to where he'd left her to try to make sure she couldn't be found. MOO

Per this link, the car was driven over 200 miles.

http://www2.wjbf.com/jbf/news/natio...sing_on_car_her_husband_rented_e-mails/46896/

Susan was reported missing December 7th. Two days later, police confiscated the family’s van to search for evidence. It was the couple’s only vehicle, but when husband Joshua went to the Salt Lake Airport, to rent a car, it somehow took investigators by surprise.
Capt. Tom McLachlan, West Valley City Police Department: “We were unaware that he had gotten a rental car and was on the move. He had that rental car for 24 hours, or less.“

In that short time Joshua drove more than 200 miles.

Mike von Fremd, reporting: “Just what he did with the rental car, and where he drove it, is one of many questions investigators want answered. Police have not filed any charges, but investigators are learning painful personal details about a missing mother who in her own words, feared her husband.“

from the article:

"We find ourselves sometimes getting a little overshadowed by the suspicions, by the speculation," he said. "But we're strong in our message, 'Find Susan' and that's what it's about."

A $10,000 reward is being offered for information that helps to find Susan Powell. Anyone with information is urged to call West Valley City police at 801-840-4000.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-search-for-susan-goes-viral,0,7945122.story

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Well, yeah, I am full of speculations and suspicions after Josh's dumbfounded account of where Susan could be. Don't ask me to entertain the idea that Susan just walked off leaving her two sons with Josh. I will keep looking for her and spreading the word, but really, I am convinced Josh / and maybe a helper are the only ones that can tell us where to really look.

So disappointed when it appears the rental car evidence was maybe important, but probably already lost in cleaning and re-rental. Can't believe he was able use a rental car without being watched!

I know Susan would appreciate all the posters here trying to figure out where she is. She already left documented answers to who to look at if she were to be found dead.

from the article:

"We find ourselves sometimes getting a little overshadowed by the suspicions, by the speculation," he said. "But we're strong in our message, 'Find Susan' and that's what it's about."

A $10,000 reward is being offered for information that helps to find Susan Powell. Anyone with information is urged to call West Valley City police at 801-840-4000.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-search-for-susan-goes-viral,0,7945122.story

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Well, yeah, I am full of speculations and suspions after Josh's dumbfounded account of where Susan could be. Don't ask me to entertain the idea that Susan just walked off leaving her two sons with Josh. I will keep looking for her and spreading the word, but really, I am convinced Josh / and maybe a helper are the only ones that can tell us where to really look.

So disappointed when it appears the rental car evidence was maybe important, but probably already lost in cleaning and re-rental. Can't believe he was able use a rental car without being watched!

I know Susan would appreciate all the posters here trying to figure out where she is. She already left documented answers to who to look at if she were to be found dead.

i agree with your frustration with that kind of dumb comment, but isnt this the same facebook group that deletes messages claiming that susan is dead or that josh killed her? in the beginning they did iirc. SUSPICION solves crimes not posters or positive attitudes. not to say that i dont appreciate what they are trying to do, but i think maybe they just dont want to believe that she could be dead or consider all possibilities.

Per this link, the car was driven over 200 miles.

http://www2.wjbf.com/jbf/news/natio...sing_on_car_her_husband_rented_e-mails/46896/

Susan was reported missing December 7th. Two days later, police confiscated the family’s van to search for evidence. It was the couple’s only vehicle, but when husband Joshua went to the Salt Lake Airport, to rent a car, it somehow took investigators by surprise.
Capt. Tom McLachlan, West Valley City Police Department: “We were unaware that he had gotten a rental car and was on the move. He had that rental car for 24 hours, or less.“

In that short time Joshua drove more than 200 miles.

Mike von Fremd, reporting: “Just what he did with the rental car, and where he drove it, is one of many questions investigators want answered. Police have not filed any charges, but investigators are learning painful personal details about a missing mother who in her own words, feared her husband.“
Considering how he just drove around town for about 2 hrs. after his wife had been reported missing I can see how he put 200 miles on the rental, probably without going very far at all. MOO

i agree with your frustration with that kind of dumb comment, but isnt this the same facebook group that deletes messages claiming that susan is dead or that josh killed her? in the beginning they did iirc. SUSPICION solves crimes not posters or positive attitudes. not to say that i dont appreciate what they are trying to do, but i think maybe they just dont want to believe that she could be dead or consider all possibilities.

They still do, delete comments. They also asked another group on Facebook that was started to actually "discuss" the case, to remove Susan's picture than Susan's missing flyer from their group wall because it was their "organization logo" and violated their copyright for approved use.
They also think a social media blitz they have planned will help find Susan.

I am sorry but Susan will not be found as the result of a twitter or because someone saw a youtube video.

Don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer in the use of social media in the search for missing people. It can be a great tool to help spread the word and get the picture and description of a missing person out there to thousands and thousands of people who may not watch TV or read the newspaper.

I just don't think it's useful in this case. The only one that can give the piece of information to help bring Susan home, is Josh.

jmo

Considering how he just drove around town for about 2 hrs. after his wife had been reported missing I can see how he put 200 miles on the rental, probably without going very far at all. MOO

All we know is that Josh made this claim to the neighbor when he finally answered his phone. Considering how ridiculous and inconsistent his statements have been so far, I can't see any reason to assume Josh just happened to be telling the truth about where he was or what he had been doing at any given time.

They still do, delete comments. They also asked another group on Facebook that was started to actually "discuss" the case, to remove Susan's picture than Susan's missing flyer from their group wall because it was their "organization logo" and violated their copyright for approved use.
They also think a social media blitz they have planned will help find Susan.

I am sorry but Susan will not be found as the result of a twitter or because someone saw a youtube video.

Don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer in the use of social media in the search for missing people. It can be a great tool to help spread the word and get the picture and description of a missing person out there to thousands and thousands of people who may not watch TV or read the newspaper.

I just don't think it's useful in this case. The only one that can give the piece of information to help bring Susan home, is Josh.

jmo

what do they think happened to susan? im not being snarky either, but really what are the options?

it seems that he would have had time to do some moving, but i also think that he would have to have a lot of guts to drive a long way with a dead body in his rental car because his van was impounded for forensic testing...he would most likely assume that the cops were following him...so, that leads me back to thinking she is probably closer than we might think. as far as the hands i think it could still be from cold and water but from what we have heard, he is a germ-o-phobe so it could also be from repeated hand washing with harsh chemicals like bleach. if he did go and move or change things around which would require him to touch a dead body he might be obsessively/compulsively washing his hands... :twocents:

bold by me...........if Josh touched anything like vomit, urine, dead body,
I can see washing compulsively over and over.
I had an employee with OCD and she did wash her hands over and over til they bled.

what do they think happened to susan? im not being snarky either, but really what are the options?

I have no idea. Their denial is maddening to me.

It's like their fingers are stuck in their ears and they are going..."la la la la la"

Not to be funny. That's just how I feel.

If they are SO SURE she just wouldn't walk away and there was NO SIGN of forced entry. That means she didn't leave on her own and no one broke in and stole her away.

That leaves Josh. They don't want to talk about Josh or speculate. Because doing so will make it true?

They honestly believe that praying and fasting and twitter is going to bring Susan home.
(don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with praying, fasting or social media, I just don't think Susan is out there walking around just waiting to be found)

I have heard it referred to as "magical thinking". They are in denial, not thinking rationally. Some family members may secretly realize the true implications of Josh's actions both before and after Susan disappeared, yet fear the reaction of other family members if they were to declare it openly.

My personal opinion is that indulgence of this type of irrational thinking is more cruel than kind. Kindness is best grounded in truth, IMO.

I have no idea. Their denial is maddening to me.

It's like their fingers are stuck in their ears and they are going..."la la la la la"

Not to be funny. That's just how I feel.

If they are SO SURE she just wouldn't walk away and there was NO SIGN of forced entry. That means she didn't leave on her own and no one broke in and stole her away.

That leaves Josh. They don't want to talk about Josh or speculate. Because doing so will make it true?

They honestly believe that praying and fasting and twitter is going to bring Susan home.

thats what i think too but was afraid to say any more than i did in my earlier post fearing i would upset everyone, lol i get the idea that they want to help find her and they want her to come home BUT everything else such as the reality of the matter is UNPLEASANT and they either dont know how to deal with any unpleasantness or just choose to reject that it exists or something??

What I do not understand is no one asked Josh the big question.........
"What happened? Where is Susan?"
Susan's parents, sisters, friends and neighbors say they have never asked him...........
WHY?
I would, sorry but I do not pussy foot around anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie