TX - Worker who died after fall into S.A. brewery's smokestack "died a horrid death"

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Worker trapped at brewery died a horrid death (San Antonio Express News)
Trapped inside the base of a giant smokestack, the young roofer, who had fallen 20 feet down the shaft on his first day on the job at the Pearl Brewery, desperately sought help from anyone who might hear him through the thick red brick walls.

He had removed his harness and tennis shoes, which he could have used to bang against the small black metal door that might have looked to him in the dark like a way out. The blood on the door, padlocked from the outside, would indicate that he had used his hands too.

Victor Diaz's disappearance last week, just hours after he arrived on the job site, set off an agonizing week of pavement-pounding searches by his family members, including frustrating visits to the police and to the Pearl.

Their fruitless search would end Tuesday when construction crew members noticed flies swarming and smelled decay near the smokestack, where no workers should have been. They got the key to open the 2-foot-by-3-foot door and found a man's body so badly decomposed that he remains unidentified.
---
much, much more at link above, with pictures

Terrible. His poor family, looking all over for him for days. :(

RIP Mr Diaz. Peace to his family, especially his wife and little ones. :rose:

What will be the COD? Dehydration?

S.A. daytime highs, 14 August - 21 August:

101; 102; 101; 100; 99; 91; 97; 94

What will be the COD? Dehydration?
The article said badly decomposed, sorry, and he had been missing a week. I think he had to have suffered some serious injuries from the fall that sped up his death. Jmo

I know it sounds stupid to be leery of this not being an accident but I do question it..

For any who read the story know that the man full strapped with safety harness would have had t go inside the the broiler house and then go up 20 fett up(I assume stairs inside broiler house) and then he would have had to crawl thru the metal tunnel that attached to the smokehouse(its purpose served as a condensation outlet when the smokestack was in use).. He had to crawl thru that pitch dark tunnel which dropped off into the smoke house.. They all say there's no way he would have gone off crawling into this tunnel.. It was not even near the area where they were to be working...

Then lastly we know he survived the fall, removed his harness and shoes and literally beat the black iron door at the base of the smoke stack until he died attempting to get help

He'd just arrived on the scene.. The crew worked there all day and not one heard this man beating with metal harness pieces up against the iron door?..

Something doesn't seem right to me. Jmo.

The article said badly decomposed, sorry, and he had been missing a week. I think he had to have suffered some serious injuries from the fall that sped up his death. Jmo

Again, it's extremely hot in TX. Heat speeds up decomposition. And if he beat up on the walls he didn't die from the fall.

I know it sounds stupid to be leery of this not being an accident but I do question it..

For any who read the story know that the man full strapped with safety harness would have had t go inside the the broiler house and then go up 20 fett up(I assume stairs inside broiler house) and then he would have had to crawl thru the metal tunnel that attached to the smokehouse(its purpose served as a condensation outlet when the smokestack was in use).. He had to crawl thru that pitch dark tunnel which dropped off into the smoke house.. They all say there's no way he would have gone off crawling into this tunnel.. It was not even near the area where they were to be working...

Then lastly we know he survived the fall, removed his harness and shoes and literally beat the black iron door at the base of the smoke stack until he died attempting to get help

He'd just arrived on the scene.. The crew worked there all day and not one heard this man beating with metal harness pieces up against the iron door?..

Well if it's not an accident somebody would have to drag him, while he was alive (and he presumably was a healthy adult male) through that same tunnel, drop him, and then return. Which I really find extremely unlikely. How does someone drag a healthy adult male through a small tunnel? I am not sure why he went through that tunnel but I really doubt it was not an accident. And the crew was working on a building, not the smokestack.

Well if it's not an accident somebody would have to drag him, while he was alive (and he was a healthy adult male) through that same tunnel, drop him, and then return. Which I really find extremely unlikely. How does someone drag a healthy adult male through a small tunnel? I am not sure why he went through that tunnel but I really doubt it was not an accident.

Nope not if the new hire first day on the job newbie was told to go crawling thru the vent..
Yea I know makes a lot of sense, right?.. Maybe not but neither does his just randomly choosing to crawl off into a dark tunnel not even the area your working.

Look I made it clear that it wasn't any accusation but rather some questions.. Gmab.

Again, it's extremely hot in TX. Heat speeds up decomposition. And if he beat up on the walls he didn't die from the fall.

Jjenny is right. Consider the fact that this is a brick smokestack, like a chimney. It sits there absorbing all of the hot dry Texas sun, triple digit temps. It is still hot even at night. Nova suggested dehydration, but this poor guy was slow-roasted.

Example: I killed a huge wolf spider on my back porch, in an area which is shaded from the sun all day. I forgot to pick it up and when I went to get it the next day it crumbled like dust. Not even kidding. Dust.

:moo:

I feel so bad for this poor man and his family. I have to wonder though how well he spoke English. I watch a lot of the house flip shows and I remember one in particular where there were a lot of Spanish speaking men working on the job. One was given directions but the manager didn't speak Spanish that well and the worker didn't speak English well either. There was a misunderstanding as to what work was to be done. Luckily it only resulted in something having to be done over and no injuries. So, could Mr. Diaz have misunderstood what he was supposed to be doing that day? Did he think this was the way to the roof. Very confusing and I doubt anyone will ever know why he ended up where he did.

RIP Victor Diaz. Prayers for your family, especially for your wife and children.

---
The Bexar County Medical Examiner confirmed Friday that the body is that of Inocencio Victor Rodriguez-Diaz, 31, originally of Chiapas, Mexico. The coroner said he died of “blunt force injuries of the head due to a fall from heights.” His death is ruled an accident.

“We did find out it is definitely him,” said his sister-in-law, Leticia Diaz.

She said, however, that the family has questions about his death because they were told by police that it appeared he had banged his hands on a metal door at the bottom of the smokestack in an effort to get someone to help him.
“They said it was trauma to the head, but ... he banged on the door, so he didn't fall to his death like they said,” Diaz said. “He still had a chance (of survival) if they would have looked for him. ... It would have been better if he had died in the hospital. The way he died was horrible.”
---
more here: Man found dead at Pearl identified (San Antonio Express News)

The only thing that would make me suspect foul play is the fact that he had ten years experience working construction (I believe specifically roofing, but would have to go back and check). So although he was new to this particular job, I'd guess he would be familiar enough with construction sites and procedures such that a mix up like this (going such a long, convoluted way to where he ended up) wouldnt be likely :waitasec:

I suppose we will never know what it was that made him go that way, end up where he did. I DO hope we find out, however, why no one thought to check the smoke stack.

The thought of him banging on the door inside that stack is a hellish image. As is the desperation of his sister and family trying to get a missing report taken, and searching all over for him themselves for days. So, so sad for them all. :(

Jjenny is right. Consider the fact that this is a brick smokestack, like a chimney. It sits there absorbing all of the hot dry Texas sun, triple digit temps. It is still hot even at night. Nova suggested dehydration, but this poor guy was slow-roasted.

Example: I killed a huge wolf spider on my back porch, in an area which is shaded from the sun all day. I forgot to pick it up and when I went to get it the next day it crumbled like dust. Not even kidding. Dust.

:moo:

You may be right, but on the other hand, the bricks may have served as insulation from the outside heat. I don't really know enough about thermal conduction to say.

(Never mind. I see now that the coroner says the man died from the injuries to his head.)

Does any one else remember the case of a man who also died from something of this same nature this will bug me now that i cant recall the exact details but he worked in something simmilar to this and got a ride to work everyday with his friend on the job ,He was also arguing with some of the other workers about what i don't recall I think it was some kind of furnace place but industrial anyway they found his tooll belt and his tool box harness and he never came to meet his friend for a ride home the friend thought he left early so he left too but next morning he wasn't there to get a ride again to work so he mentioned it at work and they ended up just finding blood and belongings somewhere where none of the workers would go into so suspission was on the boss that he was arguing with..I know this is OT but very simmilar and horrible way to go ..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back