17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't even know what his original story was the night of the shooting? It could be completely different from what is being said now? That's what is frustrating about it... if we could just get his written statement and taped interview from the night of the shooting, we could really put together what happened.

As of now, he's had over a month to perfect his story or the story his friends and family are telling the media? When it all comes down to it... we have no idea what George says happened that night?

MOO

His story will remain the same as it was when he gave a video taped interview with LW three times during the initial investigation. He can't change it.

JMO

For me, by virtue of GZ claiming self-defense or SYG, he exposes himself to additional scrutiny. He must defend his decision to the authorities. What has been said by him, by his father, by his lawyers or anyone is open to interpretation of the law. No matter what the media is squawking about, GZ would be better served if he would shut up and tell family members/lawyers defending him to shut up.

That is the major problem I have with the SYG law - it prohibits LE from arresting the killer if they claim SYG and self defense. It also lowers the standards for self defense as an excuse and removes the obligation to retreat from a confrontation.

The way it is being used in Florida is that if someone thinks they might be in danger whether or not a real threat exists, they can use lethal force and claim they were in fear for their life. LE has been using the non-arrest clause to get out of proper investigations in more than one case and more than one jurisdiction.

What is scary is the same template that was used for the Florida SYG law was also passed in a couple of dozen other states. Most places, law enforcement and legal authorities tried to block the passage since there was no need for the extreme measures in these bills. The existing "castle" and self defense laws were sufficient to legally protect someone who was legitimately defending their home or their person.

There will be a lot of money available to protect the SYG law. I hope the Trayvon Martin case will be the lever that can overturn it and have it declared unconstitutional across the country. Someone else posted that as it is written it denies the victims due process because their deaths will never be investigated under SYG.

IMO, JMO, etc. I will not further discuss the political aspects of SYG, just the parts that affect law enforcement and victims' rights.

Is that what she said? Wonder if her phone records can back that up?

I didn't here her say that in CNN interview. That would be a much bigger story than the one she gave. SPD withholding certain 911 calls would be huge.

His story will remain the same as it was when he gave a video taped interview with LW three times during the initial investigation. He can't change it.

JMO

Ha! :floorlaugh: I've seen stranger things! He's going to try and get those statements tossed anyways... if he is ever arrested and charged.

MOO

I can't figure it out. Wasn't Trayvon quite a distance a head of Zimmerman and running? Is George that fast he could catch up with him easily? Or was Zimmerman right behind Trayvon all the time?

TM was running two minutes into the 911 call. At the end of the 4 minute call, GZ does not know where TM is. 1-2 minutes later, all he** broke loose.

No, many of them have no sort of enclosure at all. You can see them in the video with Tracy Martin.

Back porches looked to me to be a concrete slab with a sliding glass door into the home. Not much of anything actually.

This is what confuses me about the whole story...

George gets out of his car and walks all the way over to where the other street is... so he passes that long sidewalk and he doesn't see Trayvon so he proceeds to the other street to check the address and begins walking back to his truck when Trayvon jumps him from behind? Where was Trayvon hiding that entire time? Looking where the back of the buildings would be and where the sidewalk is... it looks really open? Maybe I'm missing something like big trees or something because I just don't see where he could have been hiding?

Are the porches screened in at this complex? I would think so?

MOO

Each porch/patio has a fence to give it some privacy from it's neighbors. You can see the white fences in Concerned Papa's aerial of the back yards. They're not real deep, but deep enough a skinny teenager could duck behind one.

IMO, JMO, etc.

I didn't here her say that in CNN interview. That would be a much bigger story than the one she gave. SPD withholding certain 911 calls would be huge.

Yes! They better hope they didn't do that! But everything being pulled from the Sanford site... does make me wonder? I think Sanford PD is in deep "doo doo" and that even if they can never bring charges against Zimmerman because of the Sanford PD... heads are gonna roll.

MOO

You don't think the SA has talked to her? She said it was Sanford Police who wouldn't talk to her?

We'll just have to see how this all comes about?

I have a question, let's say Zimmerman never does get charged?? Can all these reports be released? Would they still be considered public record since there was an investigation?

Sanford police talked to her the very first night, right after the killing. The lead homicide detective apparently, according to her, came to her place and taped the eyewitness testimony.

And then recently, the SA came out, and did a follow up, with her attorney present.

Maybe not, but she HEARD the whole thing. And it sounds like she heard a LOT MORE than the woman in the 911 tape which WAS released and we've heard over and over again.

Your right she heard a lot of yelling. But she couldn't make out any words. She heard a young boy and a deeper sounding man. She saw two men on the ground. Not a lot of detail here.

I want to frame this post and hang it on my wall. :)

My now 30 yr old son spent a night in jail or purchasing beer 2 weeks before e turned 21..he only got out when his roommate's girlfriend bailed him out.
That charge has haunted him since...he had to explain on every medical school application and send them all the official records...he's now an M.D...he didn't let it ruin his life..I can see how people do...what he went through that night truly had to be a crime on LE's part, too. This was in Columbus, Ohio in 2003.
I can't imagine GZ didn't even spend a night in jail! ^i^

I haven't seen this photo of Trayvon before. I love it. Such a nice looking kid. Such a tragic story. Arrest George Zimmerman NOW!

trayvon_martin02--300x300.jpg
\

My husband just asked me why I was crying. That's a handsome young man. Thanks for posting this pic. I don't understand how any parent can look at that picture of TM and not feel shot through the heart. I never had the joy of having children but I'll never feel the loss. My deepest love and prayers to all you parents. What a difficult joy/sorrow that must be. :tears: Blessings and love to TM's parents.

Well here's what GZ originally was facing before he claimed SYG...

782.11 Unnecessary killing to prevent unlawful act.—Whoever shall unnecessarily kill another, either while resisting an attempt by such other person to commit any felony, or to do any other unlawful act, or after such attempt shall have failed, shall be deemed guilty of manslaughter, a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
History.—s. 13, ch. 1637, 1868; RS 2388; GS 3213; RGS 5043; CGL 7145; s. 719, ch. 71-136.

The detective had a choice of charges, example.

782.03 Excusable homicide.—Homicide is excusable when committed by accident and misfortune in doing any lawful act by lawful means with usual ordinary caution, and without any unlawful intent, or by accident and misfortune in the heat of passion, upon any sudden and sufficient provocation, or upon a sudden combat, without any dangerous weapon being used and not done in a cruel or unusual manner.
History.—s. 6, ch. 1637, 1868; RS 2379; GS 3204; RGS 5034; CGL 7136; s. 1, ch. 75-13.

List and explanation of homicide charges under florida chapter 782 Homicide

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/Chapter782

Yes! They better hope they didn't do that! But everything being pulled from the Sanford site... does make me wonder? I think Sanford PD is in deep "doo doo" and that even if they can never bring charges against Zimmerman because of the Sanford PD... heads are gonna roll.

MOO

Sanford pulling that information from their site didn't make it disappear from the internet. It's all still out there.

Are you sure he meant the SA investigators and not the SPD investigators who were originally on the case? What's the point in bringing out a special investigator if they are just going to blow her off?

MOO

I surely do not know. I was cooking and watching - he could have meant the initial investigation. I just assume that a witness they feel is this important should talk to the SA investigators instead of Ashleigh Banfield.

I just don't remember ever seeing a credible eyewitness do an interview, accompanied by their lawyer, with the media prior to a trial.

If this witness information is true, it changes the body location that Tracy Martin described by about 60 feet farther to the south from (1) to (2) in the first image below, and places TM 60 feet closer to his own home.

The witness lives at 2831 Retreat View, and the SPD narrative says the body is between 2821 Retreat View and 1231 Twin Trees.

Which could mean again that SPD didn't inform Tracy Martin of all the details that happened that night I'm presuming?

~jmo~

Are you sure he meant the SA investigators and not the SPD investigators who were originally on the case? What's the point in bringing out a special investigator if they are just going to blow her off?

MOO

They were SA investigators, apparently. And they did not blow her off. They said they had specific questions that they had not seen clarified in the original interview with her. And they focused on a few key things they wanted to know.

Her attorney told Banfield that he thought they should have scrapped her original interview or testimony and had her start from scratch. But I disagree.

Why would she have to do that a month later? Didn't she give a full and truthful eyewitness report that night? I assume she did.

If they started over there would be a greater chance that she would have some distorted memories or things changed over time from what she has heard or read. imo

Is that what she said? Wonder if her phone records can back that up?

She said she told the operator she was going to hold the phone up to the screen so she could hear it. We never heard that on a tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27