Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so happy to see that, everyday, you folks keep Brittanee's thread on page one. Not only because I hate scrolling around to find her, but because she deserves it! I've been checking in a couple times a day. I'll be home from vacation tomorrow night and I'll probably post more.

m_54cad777b2ae4a63a185b85db2911e33.jpg

I'll never give up.

~~~~*** BUMPING FOR BRITT~~~***

@----->>-->>>> (A rose for BD)))

Thanks so much, JDzWife!

I'm still wondering about the body found in MB last week. Nothing else was said about it. Hmmm.
As for this body, Florence is a significant distance from Myrtle Beach...and even further away from Georgetown. The only way I can see BD's body being near Florence would be if she was taken there by someone headed north.....like someone headed back to NY, for instance.
Since LE has repeatedly stated that these POI's are locals, I feel confident that BD's remains will be found somewhere between Georgetown and MB. IMHO.
If you find out anything more about this person at the Burger King, or if you have any other ideas or thoughts....I'd love to hear what you have to say!! Thanks!

I don't know but I'm thinking the article would have said "remains" instead of a "body" if it were Brittanee. As much as it hurts me to even think about it, Brittanee, if she died right after she disappeared, would be badly decomposed.

Of course the article doesn't really say what the condition of the body is and with the way the media has been reporting things lately, it could very well have been remains. It's just the article sounds like it's an intact body and that it won't be that difficult to determine the cause of death.

JMO

This may not be anything, but thought it interesting.

Investigators with the Florence Police Department say a body has been found at the site of a former Burger King restaurant Wednesday afternoon.

Link here: http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=12661964

It was a man that was found,

Wednesday afternoon, police found a body near a dumpster behind a restaurant.

Florence Police Major Carlos Raines says some workers found the body of a man behind the old Burger King on West Evans Street.

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=471449

Thank you RoseC!! I had a hunch it wasn't her, but you just never know these days. I am always checking the BD thread hoping and praying something will break. Prayers for this man's family.

May this poor man rest in peace. How sad to be found by a dumpster.

I check in each day hoping for good news in Brittanee's case.

I'd just like to say to the perps......Give her back! It is time for this to come to an end and for all involved to have closure. This has gone on for too long. Tell LE what you know and let Brittanee go home where she belongs!

Where are you Britt? I pray each day for God shine his light on you and to lead LE to you.

wm

Well, i might be dumber than dumb,but here in Georgetown county,le dont arrest you till they have the proof in hand,then when so you get arrested booked/photo/then in 24 hrs or a day or two you go before a judge,then its left to that judge if you are set bail/bond or stay in jail till you have a court hearing,,,so i do no this for a fact!!! LE in (Gtown county) not going to lock those POI's up till even proof for an arrest,,,,
(if we were truly told the truth in BD case) im having my doubts now on all those big briefings they gave the public,why in gods name they wont come out on national radio/tv announce they have poi's in her case,then it just drops? my question is why even tell there now its cold? something truly not adding up,,,
Bumping for BD,prayers for the Derx-family,,

Nope, you have the procedures right. The reasoning is still probable cause. Evidence in hand, which I assume you mean enough evidence to present to a court to determine guilt, is probable cause. Law enforcement cannot make an arrest unless they have probable cause, otherwise the arrest is unlawful. Now this does not mean they have to have all of the evidence that they are going to present to the judge or jury, just enough evidence that all of the elements of a particular crime have been met with the evidence they have in their possession.

For example, if a police officer witnesses A hit B on the head with a steel pipe, the police office has probable cause to arrest A. The police officer acyually onserving this battery is enough evidence to convict A. But, most likely, the pipe will be admitted into evidence, any blodd evidence on that pipe, B's testimony, etc. On the other hand, let's say that the police officer arrived on the scene after B was hit, the pipe is lying on the ground, A is long gone and B informs the police officer that A hit him on the head. Does the officer have probable cause? Not yet. A is a suspect worth investigating, but there is no evidence other than B's testimony. Now once the investigation proceeds, probable cause may arise (ie, A's DNA found on pipe, another witness saw A running from the scene, A has B's blood on his clothes). But to put it simply, in order for police to arrest and charge you with a crime, they need to have evidence tending to prove each and every element of the crime.

Nope, you have the procedures right. The reasoning is still probable cause. Evidence in hand, which I assume you mean enough evidence to present to a court to determine guilt, is probable cause. Law enforcement cannot make an arrest unless they have probable cause, otherwise the arrest is unlawful. Now this does not mean they have to have all of the evidence that they are going to present to the judge or jury, just enough evidence that all of the elements of a particular crime have been met with the evidence they have in their possession.

For example, if a police officer witnesses A hit B on the head with a steel pipe, the police office has probable cause to arrest A. The police officer acyually onserving this battery is enough evidence to convict A. But, most likely, the pipe will be admitted into evidence, any blodd evidence on that pipe, B's testimony, etc. On the other hand, let's say that the police officer arrived on the scene after B was hit, the pipe is lying on the ground, A is long gone and B informs the police officer that A hit him on the head. Does the officer have probable cause? Not yet. A is a suspect worth investigating, but there is no evidence other than B's testimony. Now once the investigation proceeds, probable cause may arise (ie, A's DNA found on pipe, another witness saw A running from the scene, A has B's blood on his clothes). But to put it simply, in order for police to arrest and charge you with a crime, they need to have evidence tending to prove each and every element of the crime.

legalpanther,

Thank you so much for sharing your expertise and helping us understand the process and the role of the GJ in making an arrest. Glad your here to help us out!

Where is Brittanee?

wm

Thank you LLLindsayy. I checked this morning and Brittanee was about half way the page. Came to check and see if I needed to bump.

*****BUMPING FOR BRITT****

Sending up prayers!!!!

I would like to thank the person who linked the article about the attempted abduction of the kid at Myrtle Beach. I passed that info along to my sister-in-law since she takes her young children there sometimes.

From what I know, the purpose of the Grand Jury is to issue an indictment.. This occurs AFTER a suspect has been arrested on felony charges. It is a crucial part of the "checks and balances" in our judicial system. A prosecuter has to prove that there was probably cause for the arrest. My interpretation - SC citizens decide whether there is enough evidence to proceed to trial.

If anyone notices an error in my explanation, please let me know.

Our justice system here in the US pisses me off sometimes. I know we need all of these checks and balances, but sometimes it just SUCKS - plain and simple. I hate using that word, but nothing else seems to fit. LE speaks and acts as if they know EXACTLY what happened to Brittanee, and who was involved. They claim to have everything except for that "key peice of evidence". *IF* this is true - Imagine, for a moment, how that would feel - Having all that information, knowing the story, and not being able to do a damn thing about it... Sometimes I wish LE would just release these names, so that some sort of justice could be served. I know that is not practical.. The checks and balances are in place to ensure the innocent are not punished for crimes they didn't commit.

Here's the part that scares me - What if there is no "key peice of evidence"? Like - what if it was destroyed? Recall LE stated that at least 1 search warrant has been executed. Obviously they did not find any solid evidence, or an arrest would have been made right away, right?

So what is LE doing now? Just sitting and waiting for more people to come forward? I am NOT criticizing LE for their work on this case. What else can they do!?

From what I can see, Brittanee's case is no longer in the media.

I don't condone violence - but if there was EVER a time I would turn my head to vigilante justice, this would be it.

:twocents: FWIW

As a criminal defense attorney with more than 10 years experience, I would like to explain some misinformation here. The purpose of a grand jury is not to indict someone. A grand jury is a fact finding inquest. Sometimes, if a prosecutor is not sure whether or not there is enough evidence to indict, they will convene a grand jury. Some states have codified that for certain charges a grand jury must be convened, i.e. a felony.

A person has never been "arrested" or "charged" before a grand jury convenes. The purpose of a grand jury is to determine if there is sufficient evidence to indict, because the prosecutor is not sure. At times, grand juries are legitimate fact finding inquests. They might begin with one suspect and end up with another, etc.

There are federal grand juries, and local grand juries depending on the location, that convene on a monthly basis. However, a special grand jury can always be convened.

Finally, the criminal justice system very much favors the prosecution. A key piece of evidence could be something like - The police have:

1) Suspects she was with around the time of her disappearance.
2) Some differing stories.
3) Some of the people have criminal records.

And that may be it. What they might be missing could be:

1) A confession.
2) A murder weapon.
3) A body.

etc.

There are many people who have spent long periods of time in prison because they were convicted on circumstantial evidence, where all of the evidence "fit," but a "key piece" was missing. If that ever happened to a loved one of yours, you would feel rage. Police have far too much discretion and overzealous attitudes in our society. Please, do not forget that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member