Identified! IA - Linn Co., WhtFem body, 'Mom' tattoo, Jul'14 - Crystal Gaffney

with the tattoo (looking very fresh if I can say that - ugh, sorry) this woman will be easily identified IMO. So sorry for you...

This is local for me. People are absolutely freaking out over the Facebook pictures that LE and the press have released. There are just two of them - one of the tattoo on the back of her leg & another of LE lining the road she was found on (you can see what is probably her body lying in the middle of the road but it's so far away that you can't make anything out). I think they are desperate to make a quick ID.

KWWL said that there is no reason for the public to panic, that LE has said that this is likely an isolated incident. It probably is, but I hate when they say that. If they don't even know who she is, they really have no business speculating.

When I saw the pictures of the tattoo, I thought right away that it is one of a kind & very easily identified. Let's hope she is local to the area or at least Iowa and can be identified quickly. She needs justice. I wonder if this was hit and run or homicide?

0ef4a261-363c-4d22-9c32-067d5636850a_zpsc37ba23f.png

http://www.kwwl.com/story/25977697/2014/07/09/woman-found-dead-near-walker

The tattoo is located on the back of the victim's right calf and includes a red heart with the word “MOM”, that is contained within a purple star, with green flames coming out of the top of the star. Gardner says the woman also has a heart tattoo on the base of her neck.

The victim is believed to be a white or mixed race female with black hair, standing approximately 5’6” tall and weighing approximately 180 to 190 pounds.

No estimate of her age?

Local to me as well. REALLY local. :( I was going to post this earlier but wasn't sure what forum it belonged in. My husband called me on his way to work saying he heard the sirens go by our house right after I left for work and wasn't sure what way they had gone by. Then on his way to work (opposite of my way) he drove right up on the scene. Had no idea what it was - kind of assumed a meth lab since it was just down the gravel road and next to corn fields. Once we saw what it was I was completely in shock. From the chatter around town it looks like she was dumped there. :(

I thought maybe it was a situation where she was walking in the early morning while it was cool out and maybe someone didn't see her and hit her...thinking it was a deer maybe? Drunk? But - then they said that she had multiple wounds (didn't specify what kind) and it gave me the impression they didn't think a hit and run was the case.

The family of the man who came upon her body who said she was IN the road - stated they knew she wasn't there last night when the daughter came home from work late. (This interview was on the 6pm news on KCRG)...not sure if the interview is posted yet or not.

This is extremely shocking because this is a TINY quiet town. We're talking every-image-you've-ever-thought-of-Iowa town.

Hopefully LE finds out who she is. Per the interview they have had no cases of missing persons in the area that would match her description so they were going to take it state/nation wide to see if her description gets a match.

I have a Walker address but live between Center Point and Walker. Headed your way this weekend - we have a cabin on the Wapsi ;) Small world, huh?! ;)

"The victim is believed to be a white or mixed race female, approximately 5'-6" tall, weighing approximately 180-190 pounds, with black hair.

The victim has a distinctive tattoo on the back of her right calf that includes a red heart with the word "MOM", that is contained within a purple star, with green flames coming out of the top of the star (a photo of this tattoo is attached). The victim also had an additional heart tattoo on the base of her neck (no photos of this tattoo are available for distribution)."

Read More at: http://cbs2iowa.com/news/features/t...date-woman-found-dead-gravel-road-28257.shtml

No mention of age. Her body has been taken to the State Medical Examiner in Ankeny. I can't find it now but I had also read that they don't believe it's hit and run based on injuries. No official cause of death has been given.

I have a Walker address but live between Center Point and Walker. Headed your way this weekend - we have a cabin on the Wapsi ;) Small world, huh?! ;)

I'm in Cedar Rapids but my Grandma has a cabin on the Wapsi in the other direction - near Stone City. Lost a lot of trees last week!

I hope they figure this mystery out soon! I hate it when they say the public isn't in danger because it makes me feel like they're lying. Also, how could they possibly know at this point?

I'm in Cedar Rapids but my Grandma has a cabin on the Wapsi in the other direction - near Stone City. Lost a lot of trees last week!

I hope they figure this mystery out soon! I hate it when they say the public isn't in danger because it makes me feel like they're lying. Also, how could they possibly know at this point?

The damage last week was horrible around Urbana and Toddville. :(

I agree...how do they know that the public isn't in danger? For cryin' out loud someone killed this woman and are still roaming free...pretty sure they are a danger to whomever crosses paths with them at this point. I think they don't want the public to think that some person is on a killing spree...but I agree, it's a bit premature to say that no one is in danger. Crazy assumption if you ask me- but what do I know? ;)

Well, I don't know about anyone else but telling me not to worry is a surefire way to make sure I do worry! If this women was from out of state and randomly met with foul play then I think there is reason for the public to worry. But, maybe they know something we don't!

Very small world, but I'm only here because the Elizabeth and Lyric case drew me in. Your join date makes me think you're probably in the club. If your cabin is on the Wapsi in Indee where most of them are, we're building a house only about a mile North on our farm.

I live in CR and moved here from Waterloo after Lyric and Elizabeth went missing. That case brought me here as well.

I have spent a lot of time with NamUs today and haven't even come close to finding anyone with or without the tattoos which troubles me.. If she was local Walker is a small enough town someone would notice their neighbor, friend or family member missing. IMO that rules out it being a hit and run since she would have to live close. If she was from a surrounding town I'm sure someone would notice.. she seems to have been left in a rural enough area someone knew it existed.

It's sad how dangerous this area is becoming.. especially after the Amber Alert for the three little girls tonight. Seems like you can't trust anyone these days..

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/cr...cle_6a791436-f0f2-5f1e-8ba9-fe980fa3e594.html

Authorities have confirmed that the woman found dead near the town of Walker in Linn County is believed to be the mother of the girls who where the subject of an Amber Alert late Wednesday.

The three girls --- identified as Mia Elaine Gaffney, 6 years, Brooklyn Anne-Marie Gaffney, 8, and Nevaeh Hogan, 8 months --- were found safe in the Waterloo area less than an hour after the alert was issued.

The man listed as the possible abductor, 36-year-old Shaun Michael Hogan, is still at large, and authorities said he should be considered dangerous. Investigators are also looking for a red 2001 Pontiac Grand Am, license 832 YPC, that is associated with Hogan.

I wondered last night when the Amber Alert was issued if there was a connection between the cases. I'm so glad that the girls are safe. RIP, Crystal. So sad. :-(

he woman has been positively identified as 29-year-old Crystal Marie Gaffney of Waterloo. The Medical Examiner says Gaffney died from head trauma. 36-year-old Shaun Michael Hogan of Waterloo has been taken into custody and charged with Gaffney's death. He is currently being held without bond in the Linn County Jail on one count of first-degree murder. Hogan will appear in court Friday morning.

Read More at: http://cbs2iowa.com/news/features/t...n-charged-murder-suspicious-death-28276.shtml

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wafficer
Back